Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

are there any art societies? :) oh and choirs? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

IRcolm wrote: »
    Are there lockers? Are they given out to everyone or do you have to pay rent of one or something?

You rent the lockers for the year. They sell like hot cakes (from an office in the Arts Block) during freshers week. My gf had one which I deffinitely found useful as it saved my carrying everything everywhere. I think they're €35 and you get €30 of that back when you return the key.

There are also free cloakrooms, one in the Hamilton and one in the Arts Block which are open from 9-5 and are useful to leave luggage, coats and gear bags in when you're in lectures. But there is a €3 fine per night per item if you don't collect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

!?! wrote: »
    are there any art societies? :) oh and choirs? :D

Check for yourself :)http://www.csc.tcdlife.ie/socs.php

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You rent the lockers for the year. They sell like hot cakes (from an office in the Arts Block) during freshers week. My gf had one which I deffinitely found useful as it saved my carrying everything everywhere. I think they're €35 and you get €30 of that back when you return the key.

The lockers are €40. €20 is a deposit. I queued up at stupid o'clock to get a handy one in the Hamilton Building but there was still lockers available in the Panoz and Lloyd buildings later on in the day and the next day.

They are handy to have, esp. in the Hamilton as its 24 hour access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Larianne wrote: »
    The lockers are €40. €20 is a deposit. I queued up at stupid o'clock to get a handy one in the Hamilton Building but there was still lockers available in the Panoz and Lloyd buildings later on in the day and the next day.

They are handy to have, esp. in the Hamilton as its 24 hour access.

Can you apply for a locker before your registration day? Like, my registration day isn't until the friday of freshers week, can I apply for one on the monday of freshers week? What time do people start to queue up at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

There are also free cloakrooms, one in the Hamilton and one in the Arts Block which are open from 9-5 and are useful to leave luggage, coats and gear bags in when you're in lectures. But there is a €3 fine per night per item if you don't collect them.

The cloakroom in the arts block anyway was open til like 9:45 most nights last year. Which was very handy.

The_Joker. wrote: »
    Can you apply for a locker before your registration day? Like, my registration day isn't until the friday of freshers week, can I apply for one on the monday of freshers week? What time do people start to queue up at?

I'm trying to remember what day the lockers went up for grabs. I think it was the Thursday of Freshers week. Yes, you can secure a locker before you register. I was the same. I registered on the Friday. I think you need to give them your CAO number (it becomes your student number), and course name.

I think they start the process at 7.30am (supposedly). I went in at 6.45am and there was about 20 ppl in front of me. It seemed quite disorganised last year. They didn't start giving out forms till near 8am. Hopefully for you it'll be easier this year. And it doesn't rain while you queue. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

I'm trying to remember what day the lockers went up for grabs. I think it was the Thursday of Freshers week. Yes, you can secure a locker before you register. I was the same. I registered on the Friday. I think you need to give them your CAO number (it becomes your student number), and course name.

I think they start the process at 7.30am (supposedly). I went in at 6.45am and there was about 20 ppl in front of me. It seemed quite disorganised last year. They didn't start giving out forms till near 8am. Hopefully for you it'll be easier this year. And it doesn't rain while you queue. :)

Thanks, I'll head in around the same time you did on the monday. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

oh cool thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Jonathan wrote: »
    Why are you jumping at each others throats? Relax or there will be bans.
    I was only joking? Thought it was a bit of banter like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Pretty sure lockers aren't up for grabs until the Monday after Freshers' Week.

tomissex wrote: »
    Pretty sure lockers aren't up for grabs until the Monday after Freshers' Week.

Actually you're right there. It was the Monday after Freshers. I now remember why I was out later that night. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Where do I queue to obtain one of the elusive Arts Block lockers? I was completely unaware they existed last year!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AliceXD

Is there anything like an easy going choir? I heard that the Choral Society and the chapel choir are rather strict about the music and that you need to be able to read music and all that... Perhaps something like a glee club? That would be awesome :D

nicola09 wrote: »
    Where do I queue to obtain one of the elusive Arts Block lockers? I was completely unaware they existed last year!:(
    What's the advantage of having a locker there than anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

theowen wrote: »
    What's the advantage of having a locker there than anywhere else?

I'm going to take a wild guess, and I have no evidence to suggest I'm right, but I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, nicola09 is based in the Arts block for most of her lectures and other academic activities and would prefer not having to go to and from it and the Hamilton to drop books and other possessions off and/or pick some up every time she felt like it.

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm going to take a wild guess, and I have no evidence to suggest I'm right, but I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, nicola09 is based in the Arts block for most of her lectures and other academic activities and would prefer not having to go to and from it and the Hamilton to drop books and other possessions off and/or pick some up every time she felt like it.
    ...sorry:o:p. I really don't have a clue about anything college related, thus all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Just wondering if I should be concerned that I have yet to receive an orientation pack. Others seem to have gotten them on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

RexMundi wrote: »
    Just wondering if I should be concerned that I have yet to receive an orientation pack. Others seem to have gotten them on Monday.

Yes.

RexMundi wrote: »
    Does seem a bit late. Got mine two weeks ago now. Give em a bell sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Info on lockers http://www.tcd.ie/orientation/student-support-services/lockers/
    Last year lockers were given out on the Monday after Freshers' Week. Depending on demand they go quickly. Last year there were mad queues, people left to go to lectures and then had to head back and join the back of the queue, which could be why the queue starts so early.

There are also lockers available for rent in The Sports Centre (at the Westland Row end of Trinity) near the Hamilton Building.

To get your deposit back you need to return your key at the end of the year.

BTW - if you do get a locker in the building you want, when you are filling out the form there should be a box you can tick whereby you can retain it for a second year. You then keep the key and have to pay a second rental fee around the start of the second year. (Have to test this theory myself in the next few weeks.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

theowen wrote: »
    What's the building for all medicine related stuff?

Get a locker in the Hamilton/Panoz if you're doing Med.

Get a locker in the Hamilton/Panoz if you're doing Med.
    Thanks, I went on the virtual tour thing and found out:rolleyes::).

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

The Hamilton would be best if you can get it - 24 hour access. Panoz and Lloyd down the same end. The Hamilton is the science based library, and most of the lectures and labs are down that end of campus (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physiology and Anatomy buildings are down that end, and Goldsmith Hall is just round the corner). There are a few lectures in the Arts block, but not really worth getting a locker up there.

http://www.tcd.ie/Maps/
    The interactive map is handy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

I'll be coming in on a bus every day from Blanchardstown...would I really need a locker? If so, since I'm doing Science (TR071) should I look to get one in the Hamilton, too?

Ahh, being a newbie. Almost makes you miss the familiarity of high school :rolleyes:

almost.

JamesJB wrote: »
    I'll be coming in on a bus every day from Blanchardstown...would I really need a locker? If so, since I'm doing Science (TR071) should I look to get one in the Hamilton, too?

Ahh, being a newbie. Almost makes you miss the familiarity of high school :rolleyes:almost.

They are handy to have to dump books, lab coats, gloves, food, gym gear into. Defo get one in the Hamilton if you're doing Science.

They are handy to have to dump books, lab coats, gloves, food, gym gear into. Defo get one in the Hamilton if you're doing Science.

Guess I'll be up extra early that Monday morning, then. :cool: Thanks.

JamesJB wrote: »
    Guess I'll be up extra early that Monday morning, then. :cool: Thanks.

Well there were still lockers left in the Lloyd and Panoz the next day. But I got a lovely locker right in the middle of the Hammo. It was defo worth getting up early on first day of class. :)

• Advertisement

Well there were still lockers left in the Lloyd and Panoz the next day. But I got a lovely locker right in the middle of the Hammo. It was defo worth getting up early on first day of class. :)

How early? I heard 6:45 is a good time, although to be honest I'd go earlier if necessary.

Advertisement