Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Mark200 wrote: »
    You get your email address and password at registration
    Yeah, so if you're intending on using your college email to sign up for societies, keep this in mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Anybody going/been to the access orientation week?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

tomissex wrote: »
    You're wrong there I'm afraid, the Ents nights are completely different to the Midnight ones.
    Ents: Academy, Tripod, Purty Kitchen, Dandelion, Pav
    Midnight: Alchemy, Purty Kitchen, Dandelion, Howl at the Moon, Break for the Border.

Yeah, ignore me I was grossly misinformed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AND WELL

Yeah like 15 nights in a row I'd say most of the clubs will be fairly quiet for the majority of the time. I think the actually Trinity Ents one will be better; everyone going will be going Trinity so probably better of to hang out with them at the start anyway :P

I'm getting the Trinity Ents one cos it's for trinity people mainly and they're the people I DEFINITELY want to get to know.

PLUS
    FOAM PARTY. hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

/Plug
    If anyone cant wait for College Parties then there'll be a good taster on tomorrow night in The Mezz, right down the road from Trinity's front door. Live bands for a few hours from 21:00 then club tunes(by me:p). Something for everybody.

Drinks €3/3.50. Over 18s.

http://mezz.ie/about/
    /Plug

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 leinster2010

Do we have to wait 'til we register to set up our TCD email accounts? :)

Yeah I'm pretty sure we're given all the details about our accounts when we register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 breanne1402

Yep, don't really know anyone either but I'll see you there!!

Lol cool! 75 people on the course, bound to make loads of new friends! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

theowen wrote: »
    Anybody going/been to the access orientation week?

Went a few years ago now can be bit of a drag of a week, but good to meet people early off your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Anyone else start today doing the pre chemistry course? I was expecting it to be a lot harder or maybe we just start the real stuff tomorrow......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

dazco wrote: »
    Anyone else start today doing the pre chemistry course? I was expecting it to be a lot harder or maybe we just start the real stuff tomorrow......

Yeah I did. It'll be fairly laid back I think. Looking at the timetable they gave us, it looks like it'll just go into a bit more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Yeah I did. It'll be fairly laid back I think. Looking at the timetable they gave us, it looks like it'll just go into a bit more detail.
    I wonder what that first guy will make of our minister of science book launch after his tirade against creationism and other pseudoscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tehPOK

I was there, it didn't have anything that I hadn't done in 3rd year science, I hope this week is worthwhile, otherwise I could have stayed in bed haha

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

tehPOK wrote: »
    I was there, it didn't have anything that I hadn't done in 3rd year science, I hope this week is worthwhile, otherwise I could have stayed in bed haha

How was it today? I was sick & couldnt go :( On Monday I felt like I knew everything they went through already from JC science!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

ajjmk wrote: »
    How was it today? I was sick & couldnt go :( On Monday I felt like I knew everything they went through already from JC science!

This the chemistry course? I thought it was so much harder than yesterday! The problem session was crazy, hadn't a clue how to answer some of the questions and everyone I talked to was the same. I was just about keeping up with the lectures but it was difficult stuff, hoping it's easier to follow tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

This the chemistry course? I thought it was so much harder than yesterday! The problem session was crazy, hadn't a clue how to answer some of the questions and everyone I talked to was the same. I was just about keeping up with the lectures but it was difficult stuff, hoping it's easier to follow tomorrow.

If you need a hand with it at any stage I'm only too happy to help. :) Loved LC chemistry. Anything beyond that though, and I'd be out of my depth. :p

How is being in Trinity a week early going? Making friends/settling in well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pedrocon86

hey guys,can ya do my survey for my thesis,relying on trinity friends to get it done...http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/W6M5KNJ
    Might also provide insight into doings thesis for ye all!!

If you need a hand with it at any stage I'm only too happy to help. :) Loved LC chemistry. Anything beyond that though, and I'd be out of my depth. :p

How is being in Trinity a week early going? Making friends/settling in well?

Thanks a million, might just take you up on that!

It's brillant, really enjoying it. I have a friend with me so I guess that helps a good bit. Wouldn't say i've actually made any friends but been talking to a few people that are doing engineering and they seem great. It's a working progress :D

What about you, looking forward to Freshers week? I got the wrist band yesterday, you getting it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Thanks a million, might just take you up on that!

It's brillant, really enjoying it. I have a friend with me so I guess that helps a good bit. Wouldn't say i've actually made any friends but been talking to a few people that are doing engineering and they seem great. It's a working progress :D

What about you, looking forward to Freshers week? I got the wrist band yesterday, you getting it?

It's always great to have a friendly face there with you. :D And talking away to a few new people is the first step-I think it's hard to start but once you've overcome that barrier as such it gets easier. In a couple of weeks we'll feel like we've been there years. :p

I'm very excited about Freshers' Week, don't think I'm going out any of the nights though. Should still be a good week, there are so many things organised! How about you, dying to get tearing into lectures and labs? :)

It's always great to have a friendly face there with you. :D And talking away to a few new people is the first step-I think it's hard to start but once you've overcome that barrier as such it gets easier. In a couple of weeks we'll feel like we've been there years. :p

I'm very excited about Freshers' Week, don't think I'm going out any of the nights though. Should still be a good week, there are so many things organised! How about you, dying to get tearing into lectures and labs? :)

I already feel like i've been there ages and it's only been two days :) Maybe that's because I kind of know where i'm going! Definitely good having a friend but probably makes it a little harder to get talking to people. Been trying anyway :cool:

Yeah it sounds brillant, there will be tons of things to do. Looking forward to joining socities and getting my student card :D You probably won't miss anything on the nights out, I might not even go to many if i've to be in the next day. Or i'll come in and be wrecked, all part of college I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Uh-oh, I'll have a lot of catching up to do tomorrow!..that is, if Im better in the morning! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just checking here, ya know the Ents tickets, if you're paying cash you dont include it in the application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Yeah the questions were hard. I kept asking the helper guy.. he pretty much answered the lot for me.

What are these Ents ticket things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Yeah the questions were hard. I kept asking the helper guy.. he pretty much answered the lot for me.

What are these Ents ticket things?

The Ents tickets are for the four nights out run by the SU during Freshers' Week.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=153891317957192&ref=ts

Anyone go to the Chemistry course today? I was sick so I missed it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Hannah Emilie

Aoiferz wrote: »
    Anyone go to the Chemistry course today? I was sick so I missed it :(

yep i went... and i gotta say i was pretty lost! :(
    in the problem session (group G!, ha) i couldn't do a single question!

Oh no :( Guess I have catching up to do...

ajjmk wrote: »
    Uh-oh, I'll have a lot of catching up to do tomorrow!..that is, if Im better in the morning! :/

Did you catch up ok?

I had a girl, she tried to explain something to the class but I wasn't really getting it so i'll just have to go over it at home and see how it goes!

We got half of the first question :) Yeah I was pretty lost too, at least we tried!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I didn't understand anything after the fire.

blubloblu wrote: »
    I didn't understand anything after the fire.

I'm the same, I really tried to get my head around it and I took tons of notes but it really didn't make sense. Delighted we got off an hour early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Yeah I found the last question very confusing! Especially the wording. In my group (group I!) they gave us a few minutes to do a question before correcting it. It worked out ok in the end.
    I'm very shy about asking for help though! As are the guys sitting near me.

To be honest I preferred it today than yesterday because I find maths easier than theory. Yesterday it was pretty tough =/
    Aoiferz wrote: »
    Oh no :( Guess I have catching up to do...

Have you done Physics for the LC? A lot of what was taught in the lecture today was basically about the spectra different elements produce. They explained what covalent and ionic bonding was, and a few other things. Not too much to learn at all, if you did Physics. They also explained kinetic energy, potential energy, etc. and at one point the lecturer gave us the equation of Coulomb's Law.

I'm sure you'll be able to catch up :)

Advertisement