Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Yeah I found the last question very confusing! Especially the wording. In my group (group I!) they gave us a few minutes to do a question before correcting it. It worked out ok in the end.
    I'm very shy about asking for help though! As are the guys sitting near me.

Well that is a much better way of doing it, everyone in my class just works away quietly and only one or two have asked for help. I've no idea if my answers are right or not!
    To be honest I preferred it today than yesterday because I find maths easier than theory. Yesterday it was pretty tough =/

I'm the same, I love maths. In saying that I still thought the questions were really difficult >_< Definitely better than yesterday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aoiferz

Yeah I found the last question very confusing! Especially the wording. In my group (group I!) they gave us a few minutes to do a question before correcting it. It worked out ok in the end.

To be honest I preferred it today than yesterday because I find maths easier than theory. Yesterday it was pretty tough =/

Have you done Physics for the LC? A lot of what was taught in the lecture today was basically about the spectra different elements produce. They explained what covalent and ionic bonding was, and a few other things. Not too much to learn at all, if you did Physics. They also explained kinetic energy, potential energy, etc. and at one point the lecturer gave us the equation of Coulomb's Law.

I'm sure you'll be able to catch up :)

Oh brilliant! Yeah, I did Physics for the LC. Its what I want to get my degree in actually :D That's great, thanks. I was worried I'd walk in totally lost tomorrow :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

How do the Ents nights work? I don't know a single person as an incoming fresher and it seems weird freshers week is before you start lectures :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tragedy wrote: »
    How do the Ents nights work? I don't know a single person as an incoming fresher and it seems weird freshers week is before you start lectures :pac:

You apply to the Ents Crew(part of the SU) for a ticket, and then collect them next monday. Then simply turn up at the nights. I suppose it would be weird if you had no wingmen/mates but fortunately I know a few people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 leinster2010

Tragedy wrote: »

Just buy your band from the Ents Crew and turn up during Freshers' week. Nearly everyone is in the same boat with the amount of people they know. I only know 3 other Freshers', and I've barely ever spoken to 2 of them :P Be good craic getting to know other people though on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My advice if you don't know anyone - go to the pav, buy some bavaria and just start talking to people. Always a good time to be had in the Pav.

I'll be around Freshers week on one of the stands so PM me and if there's enough of yiz could do a Monday after freshers madness in the Pav pre going outty drinks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Same, found today's problems better than yesterday's but some of the wording threw me off.
    The lecture seemed heavily based in physics too so I found that alright....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Hannah Emilie

dazco wrote: »
    Same, found today's problems better than yesterday's but some of the wording threw me off.
    The lecture seemed heavily based in physics too so I found that alright....

the physics bits were the only bits i found ok! and the pink fire.. that was good too! ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I hate to say this but one of my distracted thoughts during the first lecture was "I wonder how many people here are boardsies..." :o

You don't need to buy a band if you're not planning on going to all four nights right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Hannah Emilie

I hate to say this but one of my distracted thoughts during the first lecture was "I wonder how many people here are boardsies..." :o

You don't need to buy a band if you're not planning on going to all four nights right?

i kept thinking that too!! haha

and i've heard you can buy individual tickets at stalls during freshers week?? not sure if thats true or not though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

You can just go to the door of the club on the night and pay in. You don't need to have tickets beforehand. But if you're pretty sure you're going to go to all 4 nights then the wristband probably works out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

It has come to my attention that there are two traffic light balls, one in PK (hist) and one in the Academy (ents). That's a bit stupid and confusing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 amlcig

you can buy tickets for each event seperately, the risk is not getting in like...it's something like 7 euro per night

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

@DancingQueen:) I kiiinda caught up today! I thought the lecturer had a very..well..boring style of teaching, & the only time I really perked up was when he took out the blowtorch!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Yeah, I say the fire woke most people (including myself) up.
    I find that lecturer fairly easy to follow until he tries to make analogies, they always throw me off and make me more confused.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

zam wrote: »
    It has come to my attention that there are two traffic light balls, one in PK (hist) and one in the Academy (ents). That's a bit stupid and confusing...
    PK?
    Hist?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

theowen wrote: »
    PK?
    Hist?
    PK=Purty Kitchen.
    Hist=Historical Society
    I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Didn't have a clue what the lecturer was talking about today during the preliminary chemistry course. Any one else find it hard?

theowen wrote: »
    PK?
    Hist?

Hehe sorry. One is organised by the Hist and is on in Purty Kitchen whereas one is organised by the SU and on in the Academy. They're on the same night. Bit stupid imo as people will no doubt get confused. :P

ajjmk wrote: »
    @DancingQueen:) I kiiinda caught up today! I thought the lecturer had a very..well..boring style of teaching, & the only time I really perked up was when he took out the blowtorch!

Good! Yeah I was the same, delighted he let us go early aswel!
    Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Didn't have a clue what the lecturer wastalking about today during the preliminary chemistry course. Any one else find it hard?

I thought it was easier to understand that the past few days. Do you mean the first guy or the second? I understood the first one until people started asking questions and then it went down hill! Except for logs, I knew them. The first lecture went on for ages! Second one was ok, I was wrecked. Taking notes kept me awake but he had everything printed so I didn't have to.

You going in tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Can I just ask what course that chem thing was for?

Good! Yeah I was the same, delighted he let us go early aswel!

I thought it was easier to understand that the past few days. Do you mean the first guy or the second? I understood the first one until people started asking questions and then it went down hill! Except for logs, I knew them. The first lecture went on for ages! Second one was ok, I was wrecked. Taking notes kept me awake but he had everything printed so I didn't have to.

You going in tomorrow?

I found the first one harder. It didn't help that I kept falling asleep during it though.

Yeah I should be, are you? I don't think I'll do very well in that computer assessment thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

It was a preliminary course for people who either didn't to chemistry for the LC or got less than a C. Mostly science and engineering students but also health sciences.

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    I found the first one harder. It didn't help that I kept falling asleep during it though.

Yeah I should be, are you? I don't think I'll do very well in that computer assessment thing.

I'm guessing that didn't help much! I started getting really hungry about an hour before the end of the first lecture so spent most of the time thinking about lunch. It was really hard to concentrate : (

Nope, don't think I am. I don't do much in the problem sessions, for the first few minutes I try the questions and then just chat until the hours up. So I could just do that at home. At the start of the week there were 6 girls in it, today there were 4 and tomorrow if I went it would be just be me. Also takes a while to get in and out and i'd ratehr not fail miserably in the test thing!

Not sure exactly but I know there are people from Science, Health Sciences and Engineering there.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

:( I only got offered human health and disease yersterday and I did'nt do chem for leaaving!

:( I only got offered human health and disease yersterday and I did'nt do chem for leaaving!

I'd recommend getting a grind for about 3 sessions over the next couple of weeks to give you an introduction, it'll really help!

Don't worry! Have a look on Google for info about Atomic Structure, The mole, Stoichiometry, Bonding , pH/ Acids and bases and Organic Chem and you'll find loads. Just learn the basics of each and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

You do it all again anyway. Just at a slightly quicker pace than the lectures this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

You also do a different chemistry course to general science. (Specifically the Radiation Therapy courses chemistry course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'm guessing that didn't help much! I started getting really hungry about an hour before the end of the first lecture so spent most of the time thinking about lunch. It was really hard to concentrate : (

Nope, don't think I am. I don't do much in the problem sessions, for the first few minutes I try the questions and then just chat until the hours up. So I could just do that at home. At the start of the week there were 6 girls in it, today there were 4 and tomorrow if I went it would be just be me. Also takes a while to get in and out and i'd ratehr not fail miserably in the test thing!

Not sure exactly but I know there are people from Science, Health Sciences and Engineering there.
    Did you find the course worthwhile then in the end?

Advertisement