Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

thebman wrote: »
    Oh I meant disappointing seeing the negative comments here along with being at the developer conference before the release left me with a negative impression.

I don't have a Phone 7, I've held off changing from 6.5 to see if this release would amount to much.

Was this one of the conferences held in Dublin recently? What kind of apprehensions did people have? Would be interested to hear what regular developers make of it. Certainly Microsoft need to open up more APIs for the camera, sensors, etc.

And good news for HD7 owners: there's definitely a microSD slot on the HD7, but you need to void your warranty to get at it. Still, by the time most people need the extra gigs a 32GB card will be much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

yeah but to upgrade a micro sd card the phone itself requires a hard reset :S which is very very stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

so no custom ringtones??? I have to say it really feels like they just released a work in progress OS to market which is a surprise given how long ago they first mentioned they were bringing it to market

Im sure there will be a work around for the ringtones once it picks up a decent developers base.

Though agree a major disappointment.

Though having said that most people couldn't give two flies about the ringtone and just keep with the stock one or the ones provided

so no custom ringtones??? I have to say it really feels like they just released a work in progress OS to market which is a surprise given how long ago they first mentioned they were bringing it to market

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-phone-7-to-get-custom-ringtones-maybe have a read on that :)

might not be so bad after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Though having said that most people couldn't give two flies about the ringtone and just keep with the stock one or the ones provided

When it comes to cutting edge tech such as smartphones, you can be damm sure people care a hell of a lot about the little things it can't do rather than the things it does really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Quick wrote: »

Most if not all of those features are what makes makes a phone a smartphone imho.

Venom wrote: »
    When it comes to cutting edge tech such as smartphones, you can be damm sure people care a hell of a lot about the little things it can't do rather than the things it does really well.

what cutting edge technology? most people just go for the most fancy phone available on bill pay or the one the SA tells them to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Venom wrote: »

Well your in luck! Twitter has just released their App for Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 :D

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371669,00.asp

one thing i do love is i always kinda used to get annoyed that certain apps never matched the UI looks and made it stand out. Metro Designs making it work. Though not sure is that an advantage or a limitation so far :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭seregrail7

According to the Three website now, the Samsung Omnia 7 is exclusive to Microsoft employees. Is this just for a limited time or what?

http://www.three.ie/shop/offers/microsoft/samsung-omnia-7-offer.htm

Need for speed Undercover coming soon :)

Graphics are sweet. Though i think i proffered the controls on Shift more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I'm really keen on getting one. Just as soon as Vodafone start selling it...

Me too...Just not sure do i wanna jump the ship yet :) i like the ability to boot dual boot WinMo and Android and possibly WP7 in the future :)

Though dont wanna go from open OS to iPhone like closed down OS :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Me too...Just not sure do i wanna jump the ship yet :) i like the ability to boot dual boot WinMo and Android and possibly WP7 in the future :)

Though dont wanna go from open OS to iPhone like closed down OS :S

Same reason for me

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Plasmoid

seregrail7 wrote: »
    According to the Three website now, the Samsung Omnia 7 is exclusive to Microsoft employees. Is this just for a limited time or what?

http://www.three.ie/shop/offers/microsoft/samsung-omnia-7-offer.htm

Should be just a limited time offer... due to limited stocks. Don't expect anything in shops till December-ish i would think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Pumps.ie app is now in the marketplace. Or at least it should be. Don't have a device any more to check :(

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Hi Muckwarrior,
    Just downloaded it there. Great little app, very solid.
    The only thing is that it doesnt get my location even though bing maps shows my location correctly?!?
    Don't have a device any more to check
    What happened your phone?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

i m lookin forward to get wm7 but just waiting for next models having front face cameras and some limitation to be lifted like copy paste etc

• Advertisement

beanian wrote: »
    Hi Muckwarrior,
    Just downloaded it there. Great little app, very solid.
    The only thing is that it doesnt get my location even though bing maps shows my location correctly?!?

What happened your phone?!?

I only had one on loan for a couple of days to test. Will hopefully be getting one through work before long.

The app tries to get your location to an accuracy of within 1km. Might explain why maps shows you a location but the app can't resolve it. Unfortunately its the one thing you can't test on the emulator so ill have to wait till i have a device before i can debug. In the meantime i might lower the accuracy range to see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I only had one on loan for a couple of days to test. Will hopefully be getting one through work before long.

The app tries to get your location to an accuracy of within 1km. Might explain why maps shows you a location but the app can't resolve it. Unfortunately its the one thing you can't test on the emulator so ill have to wait till i have a device before i can debug. In the meantime i might lower the accuracy range to see if it helps.

great app, thanks a mill. I'm seeing the same issue with the location not working until I untick Use GPS in the settings. Then we're fine. Great work!

Edit: actually I just had to turn GPs on again just there, then hit refresh a couple of times and then it works, bit odd. Fix that and I'll rate it 5 stars!

great app, thanks a mill. I'm seeing the same issue with the location not working until I untick Use GPS in the settings. Then we're fine. Great work!

Edit: actually I just had to turn GPs on again just there, then hit refresh a couple of times and then it works, bit odd. Fix that and I'll rate it 5 stars!

I'll try reducing the required accuracy to 2km. It'll mean results aren't quite as accurate but hopefully it'll significantly increase the chances of getting a lock.

Will try to get an update submitted tonight. Thanks for the feedback btw.

surprise surprise. Samsung has managed to hide tethering inside the phone :) there was tweet from nearly every tech mag about it lol

and its quite easy to activate it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

My LG Optimus 7 is my first smartphone, and my first new phone in something like four years. My old one was a Motorola V177, so I'm finding going from a phone that could talk and text (barely!) to Windows Phone 7 a bit overwhelming. But I absolutely adore it. :D

I've been mucking about with Find My Phone more than anything else. Even if the phone cannot be rung or locked on the first go, it'll keep trying to ring or lock the phone until it manages it. More importantly it appears to work if the phone's just connected to the web - I tried locking my phone when it was connected via WiFi with no SIM card installed, and it worked. I'd love to find out if it'll still lock with a different SIM card in it.

...And now to Visual Studio!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Has anyone bought a WP7 phone and used it much? I'm trying to decide between a Galaxy S and Omnia 7 at the moment. Everyone who has the GS raves about it but no-one I know has used WP7.

Well it has mixed reviews. Good and bad. Good: simple smooth non laggy consistent ui. Disadvantages: limited customization.

Though with 3000 apps from the launch is good. Games are nice on it. Strict marketplace rules will attract more development too since u can get banned of Xbox love and live services on the phone if u tamper it.

Its still early days. Regarding galaxy I would read into its lag issues if I was u. That one click lag fix isn't a real fix, just an improvement
    Another advantage of windows phone is that all phones shoud get it at the same time. Unlike Android

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've been using the Omnia 7 since Thursday. It's impressive so far, everybody I've handed it to have been able to navigate around the phone really easily. There are some features due to be added soon. The biggest issue for me is the lack of customisable ringtone. The rest of the phone is brilliant and the gaming is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

markpb wrote: »
    Has anyone bought a WP7 phone and used it much? I'm trying to decide between a Galaxy S and Omnia 7 at the moment. Everyone who has the GS raves about it but no-one I know has used WP7.

I've a galaxy S, just got a lend on a Samsung something, its windows 7, seriously impressed, expect to see a galaxy s on adverts.ie on Monday, this phone is seriously slick, thought it would be some rubbish windows phone but I was very wrong this phone rocks.
    slick as an iPhone if not slicker.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement