Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Takeaway in Lucan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

unkel wrote: »
    That's a lot if you compare it to their early bird (sit in) menu which would only be a fiver more for two

As a comparison, Kasturi (Indian) have 10% off if you collect. For your €35 spent there after discount, you'd feed 4 people

Got a great take away from Mao tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice! What did you get and how much did it cost?

Nice! What did you get and how much did it cost?

Honey Seasame Prawns
    Aromatic Spare ribs
    Kung pao wings
    Prawn Crackers
    Hati Ayam with egg fried rice
    Five Spice Chicken with crispy noodles

Cost was 44 euro

Have to say it was very good and ready when I dropped in to collect it.
    Their prawn crackers were the best yet.

Sounds lovely. Lot of money for a takeaway though? Plenty for 2 hungry adults, was it?

Sounds lovely. Lot of money for a takeaway though? Plenty for 2 hungry adults, was it?

Agree alot of money, but lately it seems you have to pay to get a great take away. Don't think Mango Tree would be much cheaper at the weekend either, I know they have midweek deals and this is something that Mao are missing. I found the Chipper's takeway just leaves me feeling more ripped off as it never hits a good standard anymore.

Plenty of food for two, my wife couldn't make her mind up!!!
    She couldn't finish it all, so I had to help her with hers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 elsiemay286

Our favourite is Chang, Fillet steak teppanyaki is the go to. For chipper The Hill in Leixlip is probably the best that delivers to Lucan, 9th Lough in Clondalkin isnt bad either. Basic Curry, Far East in Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

So anyone tried base? Looks nice if a bit pricey

So anyone tried base? Looks nice if a bit pricey

Will try it this weekend. It was always going be pricey as its not your standard pizza.
    Doesn't mean its any good either

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Got a meal from Mao last night. Tasty, but was €34.85 for 2 starters and 2 mains so very expensive for what it is. Also, portions were not huge.

Just had one of their "lunch bowl specials" (available from 12-5, for €7.95). Choice of about 10, I picked the Thai green chicken curry and picked noodles instead of rice

Good portion size, nice noodles, vegetables also cooked to perfection, but the taste of the food was no more than a 6.5 out of 10. Still, I'm happy spending my €7.95. Good value for money for a half decent bite to eat. Also came neatly packed with a napkin and a fork (which I did not need to ask for), which is a nice gesture.

Would not be happy spending the guts of €40 for two for a takeaway of this kinda food...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Will try it this weekend. It was always going be pricey as its not your standard pizza.
    Doesn't mean its any good either

It's alright. A step up from Dominos but you'd expect that.
    €3 delivery charge though. Fairly eye-watering

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    It's alright. A step up from Dominos but you'd expect that.
    €3 delivery charge though. Fairly eye-watering

I just collected it.
    Our pizza was lovely I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Havent had a take away in ages, still looking forward to trying Base

Mizzonis is going into the old Pizza Max shop in Adamstown, they are building in there at them moment. No shortage of Pizza options now. Also seem to be recruiting various roles if anyone is looking. Sign in the window

Havent had a take away in ages, still looking forward to trying Base

Mizzonis is going into the old Pizza Max shop in Adamstown, they are building in there at them moment. No shortage of Pizza options now

Base are expensive for delivery but they actually arrive on time unlike most places during rush time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Just got a very disappointing pizza from Base. Soggy base and very bland flavour (I went for the porcini). Very unimpressed.

On a side note, I'm not sure if they do takeaway, but had a superb pizza in Prezzo at Liffey Valley last weekend. And it was cheaper than the Base one.

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Just got a very disappointing pizza from Base. Soggy base and very bland flavour (I went for the porcini). Very unimpressed.

On a side note, I'm not sure if they do takeaway, but had a superb pizza in Prezzo at Liffey Valley last weekend. And it was cheaper than the Base one.

I would ring base up about it, everything we had was top notch, except the starters aren't great

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Broadsider

Rustic Pizza in Leixlip .. Really the best pizza I've ever had.
    The owner imports flour etc from Naples, pizzas are done in a wood fired oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Ordered a delivery from Delhi Dabar Lucan last night. They told me it would take an hour, I said no problem. What I didn't realise until it arrived luke warm was that it would spend most of that hour in a car. Too hungry to complain so we reheated it, ate it and survived. Nan bread was terrible after so long so that had to be binned. Think we will just collect anything we order in future as delivery is so hit and miss with takeaways lately.

Any better indians in Lucan?

I find Delhi Darbar in Lucan very mediocre at best. Kasturi is much better. Also 10% off takeaway when you spend over €20. Takes the edge off :)

I find Delhi Darbar in Lucan very mediocre at best. Kasturi is much better. Also 10% off takeaway when you spend over €20. Takes the edge off :)

I haven't tried Delhi Darbar yet but I've been extremely disappointed with Kasturi the last two times I've ordered from there.

Oh, tell us more? I've ordered from them many times over many years and it's been consistently pretty good for me. Not a brilliant Indian by a long shot, but imho the best we've got in Lucan.

Sit in meal for €15.95 for poppadom + starter + main + naan + rice is also pretty decent particularly if you're a big hungry lad like me :D

• Advertisement

Our order was always a chicken tikka massala and a chicken chili massala but the tikka was extremely cloying the last few times and the chili massala didn't have any pickle or fenugreek in it. It was just a tomato curry.
    I've started making them at home based on Curry Addict's recipes elsewhere on Boards and they turn out exactly the same as they used to in Kasturi.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Our order was always a chicken tikka massala and a chicken chili massala but the tikka was extremely cloying the last few times and the chili massala didn't have any pickle or fenugreek in it. It was just a tomato curry.
    I've started making them at home based on Curry Addict's recipes elsewhere on Boards and they turn out exactly the same as they used to in Kasturi.

Can you post a link please?

Can you post a link please?

Linky

Sorry for the delay. I see Unkel has posted a link to Page 1.

The chill masala recipe is on PAGE 43

Follow the recipe and you'll get a chilli masala every bit as good as the ones in the curry houses!

EDIT: page 43! :D

Tried the chipper in Ballyowen Shopping centre for the first time in 5-6 years. Wow it has really improved, plenty of chips and lovely curry sauce.

Roma has gone down hill so much, very few chips etc

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Ordered Singapore noodles and Kung Pao wings from Mao this evening. The wings were nice, a little bland even though they were meant to be spicy but not bad. Order totalled 19.20 incl delivery.

The Singapore noodles however were that bad that after 3 forkfuls, my 3 dogs had their second dinner of the evening. Soggy noodles, no spices whatsoever, no spring onions or beansprouts as per the menu. I counted 2 prawns in the dish in total along with an acceptable amount of chicken and wedges of what seemed to be while cabbage or some veg similar to this.

I've been a Mao fan since they've opened in Lucan but this dish has put me right off ordering anything from them for the foreseeable. I should have complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

jomalone14 wrote: »
    I should have complained.

Why didn't you?. I got a pizza from the wood-fire place next door a while back, it was soggy and inedible.

I complained and I got a replacement pizza and my account credited by the same amount.

Having said all that, I have to say I find Mao's food to be pretty bland at best, and prefer to go elsewhere.

Edit: when I say complain, it involved me calling in and having a calm conversation with the duty manager, not screaming down the phone at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

ArthurG wrote: »
    Why didn't you?. I got a pizza from the wood-fire place next door a while back, it was soggy and inedible.

I complained and I got a replacement pizza and my account credited by the same amount.

Having said all that, I have to say I find Mao's food to be pretty bland at best, and prefer to go elsewhere.

Edit: when I say complain, it involved me calling in and having a calm conversation with the duty manager, not screaming down the phone at them!

Arthur, I'm too nice, to my own detriment sometimes......I think it's the Irish in me, we're not known for complaining, are we?! I will if there's ever a next time, unlikely to order again from them though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I've ordered from Mao twice and never again. Very bland both times, and seriously overpriced. Several friends have ordered from there since they opened and nobody has had a good word to say about them. The restaurants in Dundrum and Dun Laoghaire are pretty good, so it's an odd one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

bogmanfan wrote:
    I've ordered from Mao twice and never again. Very bland both times, and seriously overpriced. Several friends have ordered from there since they opened and nobody has had a good word to say about them. The restaurants in Dundrum and Dun Laoghaire are pretty good, so it's an odd one.

Would say the same clondalkin branch

Advertisement