Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Takeaway in Lucan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Broadsider wrote: »
    I was missing Chand too , so I tried a few places in the surrounding area.
    I have had a few takeaways from 'India Spice House' Main Street Leixlip, and have been very happy with the quality , flavour etc.
    It's definitely far ahead of the Kasturi , and much cheaper..
    Give the place a shot , see what you think ...

I have, not bad. In my last experience Kasturi got only a 6, but on average I give them an 8 for quality, the place in Leixlip a 7 and Chand a 6

Prices are the other way around with Chand by far the best value, in particular with their special for one

A good alternative for the hungry eater / someone who wants value for money is India gate on the Belgard road. Special for one is a starters combo, any main course on the menu, a rice, a naan, chutneys and sauces for just €13.95 in total iirc. Two of these will easily do 6 adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Broadsider

Having mentioned Ruby here yesterday, I couldn't get it out of my mind, so ended up ordering from the Spice House again this evening.
    Once again it didn't disappoint .. If you're a fan of really top quality genuine indian food , give this place a shot .. The tarka daal is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

I see theres a new Chinese/Thai place
    http://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-changasaincuisine/menu
    anyone tried it?
    tried this place twice now and it was lovely both time, the satay skewers where the best thing ive tried
    I have had a few takeaways from 'India Spice House' Main Street Leixlip, and have been very happy with the quality , flavour etc.
    It's definitely far ahead of the Kasturi , and much cheaper..
    Give the place a shot , see what you think ...

going to order a vindaloo as soon as they open today, lunch in the spa carvery wasnt good :mad:

edit
    anyone ever have a phall?? im tempted to order 1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I ordered a phall from there a while back. Wasn't particularly impressed but I firmly believe I can make better myself and an extremely picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DB83

Food from annadale cottage is excellent... a bit pricey but delish!

Only thing they haven't mastered is the basic curry sauce, but when the food is that good it shouldn't be drowned out in curry sauce anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Ordered from the Chang Asian recently and it was nice, not quite as nice as the Mango Tree for me but better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Was in Kasturi for a sit in meal. As bog standard indians (i.e, standard meals like madras, balti, vindaloo, chicken lamb or prawn, not something like ananda or kinara kitchen) I was impressed. Got boti kebab for starter, chicken balti for main and both were really nice.
    Although one of the waiters was in the jacks ahead of me, I noticed he flushed the jacks and left without washing his hands. Wasn't my waiter, but not a good sign.

Pregos looks like it is near re-opening. The ground floor looks to be finished and the drinks fridge is all stocked up.

So they are open again but under New Management. No proper menus done up, just photocopies.

foreign wrote: »
    So they are open again but under New Management. No proper menus done up, just photocopies.

Does this mean the original world champion pizza boys are gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A very nice man in my road in Lucan owns an Indian restaurant in town - Spice N Rice - click on this link

He cooks the hottest phall curry in Ireland and is getting quite famous for it. Very well known food critic, Tom Doorley, did a piece on it this week in the Mail

Linky

It was a bit too spicy for him :D

AD133593440Tom-Doorley-trie.jpg

Go, Ali!

MainPic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Habaneros are about 8000 Scoville?
    Eh that would be Jalapeños, Tom. Habaneros are about 200,000 Scoville.
    I have a few Naga plants at home. Can't beat a good lamb naga phall.

Thanks Unkel!
    I'll definitely try spice n rice out!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Anyone any feedback on new good year?

I'm looking forward to the Delhi Darbar opening in Lucan.
    It's great to see that block being developed after years lying dormant.
    Anyone know when it's opening , and more importantly if they're going to do the same Sunday lunch buffet that works so well in Celbridge??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

izzyflusky wrote: »
    Anyone any feedback on new good year?

Is this the chinese in ballyowen shopping centre? If so i didnt rate it, very greasy!

Is this the chinese in ballyowen shopping centre? If so i didnt rate it, very greasy!

Agreed , well below average.

I had a real need for fried chicken this evening!
    NOT generic KFC stuff, which always leaves me feeling slightly seedy, but some old fashioned marinated/coated fried chicken.
    It took a while to figure out that 'SAMs' in leixlip was about the best bet.
    Well just to say , they didn't disappoint, food top notch , good portions, reasonable prices and friendly service! ..
    That is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Anyone know when it's opening , and more importantly if they're going to do the same Sunday lunch buffet that works so well in Celbridge??

economics-teacher-ferris-buellers-day-large-msg-130869842136.jpg

Anyone? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

My understanding is that the restaurant was set to open on the 19th (last friday) but I haven't gotten around to visit it to confirm.

EDIT: Called the one in leixlip and was told it's not open yet and that they will be opening sometime next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

I've been living in the bog for the last rew months and I'm craving an Indian!!!!!
    Can't wait to get back to lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Have seen on a FB page, it's opening this Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Regularly get take away from here but was really disappointed with the Sunday buffet, everything so mild even the vindaloo!! Also Luke warm temp. Would never go back would prefer a menu and freshly cooked food.

Regularly get take away from here but was really disappointed with the Sunday buffet, everything so mild even the vindaloo!! Also Luke warm temp. Would never go back would prefer a menu and freshly cooked food.

The post from riverisland refers to a Dheli Darbar other than in Lucan (perhaps leixlip?) and not the one which will open tomorrow (Sunday, 28/09) in Lucan (just phoned again to confirm and was told it opens tomorrow)

Anyone visited it yet? I might do it this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Got a takeaway from it the night before last, was ok. Better than the Sunday buffet I had previously in celebridge, but not as good as kashturi, I'm not fully sold, maybe once I've been to it! Menus is identical to Celebridge, but a few €€ more per dish, eg, set menu was €9-95 in Celebridge, it's €11-95.

I was there tonight and yes, the place was a bit empty, but I felt the quality was very much on par with cellbridge and far far superior to Kasturi (which isn't very hard, admittedly). It was not busy at all, only a couple of people there. The owners were very friendly. Price-wise it seemed to be about the same as Cellbridge, but I've only been in Cellbridge once and didn't compare things closely anyway, but the decoration here is far far more welcoming. I very much enjoyed, though the atmosphere is a bit of a work in progress. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cmred

4 of us were in here on saturday night and very impressed. €60 per couple for mixed platter starter with a choice of main, nan, rice and bottle of wine (not cheap rubbish!). good few tables taken and staff very natural and helpful. will even get a pint from downstairs if needed! hope it does well.

I've had a few takeaways (for 6 and 8 people so plenty of variety) , I've been waiting a long time for an Indian restaurant of this calibre to open in the area.
    EVERYTHING , was fresh , authentic, flavourful without being needlessly spicy. The naan breads are excellent , so many times they're a let down, and the rice pilaf is the best I've had in this country. Perfect really, and definitely on a par with London Indian restaurants ( and I would have felt these were world class, they need to be to survive the competition)
    The staff are very friendly , perhaps a little inexperienced , but it's worth noting that they've employed from the local area.
    My one major grip , if I was pushed , is that they've not served lime pickle with the popadums, and the chutney is not good , very synthetic, but this is really nit picking.

I'm a great fan of the Celbridge Sunday buffet, and the Lucan buffet doesn't disappoint.
    Our family (2 and 3 kids) ate there a few Sundays ago for less than €50! .. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Had a take away from Dehli Darbar this week. Really enjoyed it. Everything tasted fresh and I'd say it's better than Kashturi. Only gripe with it was the length of time I had to wait, but given the quality of the food I'll forgive them. My tip, order before you go to collect. I would have done this but I couldn't find their number anywhere!

Advertisement