Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Takeaway in Lucan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

What's the best chipper to order from in the lucan area? Can't seem to find a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ah, I am no coffee expert, only started to drink it in the last few years.

In all honesty, get something like a cappuccino there. They ready do make nice stuff, second only to an Italian place in Pembroke Street in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

What's the best chipper to order from in the lucan area? Can't seem to find a decent one.

Personally I prefer the regal fare, used to love the east end, long time ago though. Had a take away from the Roma on Friday, first time I think I've ever had it sober, God it was vile!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Not a fan of any of them (or wasn't a fan I should say, haven't gone to any in years). If I'm going for chips I go to the 9th lock towards clondalkin

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

I like regal fare, but they can be a bit hit the odd time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Broadsider

Re Chips, I like SAMs in Leixlip, they also do bloody good SFC.

Re coffee, I'm geeky about the stuff. I don't think you'll get better than insomnia , especially their flat whites, unless you've got your own burr grinder and do the weigh/time method (which I found out about on here) , this will produce the best coffee ever in your own kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Fagashlil wrote: »
    Looks like you're in luck! Was taking to a relative who's also a SV employee, and the old bus stop, dry cleaners and curtain shop will become 1 to reopen as Starbucks. Also base pizza will open. And Kay's kitchen will open at the back of the shop where the current coffee shop is, with an additional enterance going through the old bookshop. Apparently!

Starbucks Store Locator for Dublin is now showing a cafe in Lucan SC.

http://www.starbucks.ie/store-locator/search/location/Dublin%2C%20Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

ongarboy wrote: »

Was at the Shopping Centre on Monday and the shop front was complete, looked like they'd be opening very very soon.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Was at the Shopping Centre

Which one?

Id assume superquinn as the new Starbucks opened yesterday.

Also, I take back my post from a few pages ago about Kashturi, have had take away from the Dheli Darbar and dined in last night, food is amazing, portions huge and service greatM

To be fair I was pregnant when I first had it, my taste buds were shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Toulouse wrote: »
    Was at the Shopping Centre on Monday and the shop front was complete, looked like they'd be opening very very soon.
    gagomes wrote: »
    Which one?

Any clearer? I do have ongarboys post quoted in my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Apparently MAO could still be happening, its at the appeals board.

A few of the local councillors(Gogarthy is one) tried to block Starbucks, saying they are unhealthy etc and too many coffee shops in Lucan. These are the same councillors that have loads of coffee shops in the village and say nothing.

Gotta love those double standards!
    However, I do like the fact that the ones in the village are not chain coffee shops. They fit in well with the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

]
    A few of the local councillors(Gogarthy is one) tried to block Starbucks, saying they are unhealthy etc and too many coffee shops in Lucan.
    For gods sake, if the coffee shops are any good they'll stay open, if not they'll close - we don't need politicians deciding on something so basic.

I've only moved to Lucan recently, and I can't believe how little there is in terms of shops, restaurants, pubs etc.

hmmm wrote: »
    For gods sake, if the coffee shops are any good they'll stay open, if not they'll close - we don't need politicians deciding on something so basic.

I've only moved to Lucan recently, and I can't believe how little there is in terms of shops, restaurants, pubs etc.

Are you north or south of the N4?
    If south, I'd agree. It's very annoying.

However, if you're north of the N4, you're in "old Lucan" and I think the village is really good. There's an excellent butcher and also a fruit and veg shop. The fishmonger is excellent as well.
    Quite a few little cafes such as the Tea Rooms and the River Cafe.
    Pubs - Kennys, Courtneys, Ball Alley, Carrolls etc...

Restaurants - I'd agree. Not enough decent ones. However, Maynooth isn't too far away and it has some fine places at reasonable prices.

+1

But, I think the butcher in lucan is exaggeratedly expensive and their meat does not seem to live very long in the fridge.

The tea rooms is a bit of a hit and miss sometimes, but I can't miss a weekend without pancakes and bacon there.

There is also reeds on the river which I hear is pretty good but I haven't been to yet.

As for restaurants, Kasturi is my only recommendation, but the bar is low nonetheless :)

Completely agree re the butchers - they can be eye-watteringly expensive at times.
    The mother in law swears by them though!

hmmm wrote: »

I wouldn;t say it's the worst... there's a fair few pubs around the village centre junction. Courtneys, Kennys, the new gastropub, etc along with a few cafes/tea rooms further up the main street and Indian/Italian etc.

I do think however that one of the challenges with Lucan is that the population exploded in recent decades (it probably has the same population as Drogheda c40000 people) but it essentially still only has a village retail offering. Some prefer this village charm but a similar suburb like Swords has made far more progress with retail/dining/social choice. Liffey Valley and even the Supervalu SC are too remote from the main village centre also.

Getting back on topic to the thread title but Lucan probably has enough takeaways however.

What happened to the chand tandoori near village / at the millbank business park?

The store is still there, but the phone numbers that you can see from on the store, e.g google maps are not reachable. I was told by someone that saw people going in a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Someone here said that the owner had to go back home to Pakistan because his father was ill. Nice man, pretty decent food and the best value for money Indian takeaway in Lucan for sure (for hungry lads like myself)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Someone here said that the owner had to go back home to Pakistan because his father was ill. Nice man, pretty decent food and the best value for money Indian takeaway in Lucan for sure (for hungry lads like myself)

Ah bummer. It has quite a bit of a positive reputation, I hope it will reopen.

Mao at Home is opening a takeaway at the Lucan(Supervalue) SC as per permission granted by An Bord Pleanala. Interestingly, the objector to the development was our Minister for Justice, Frances Fitzgerald...I would have thought she should be more preoccupied with preventing crime then preventing up market asian restaurants from opening....!!:)

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/244/R244509.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Mao at Home is opening a takeaway at the Lucan(Supervalue) SC as per permission granted by An Bord Pleanala. Interestingly, the objector to the development was our Minister for Justice, Frances Fitzgerald...I would have thought she should be more preoccupied with preventing crime then preventing up market asian restaurants from opening....!!:)

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/244/R244509.pdf

Am i right in saying this can't open at the weekends?

Am i right in saying this can't open at the weekends?

And hoping he's made a mistake with his 24 hour clock, as 0900-1200 is only 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Surely that is only for works to be carried out before it opens? What good is a takeaway that's not open at the weekend? :)

And what takeaway in a suburb would be open on a Monday morning at 9AM? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

gagomes wrote: »
    +1

But, I think the butcher in lucan is exaggeratedly expensive and their meat does not seem to live very long in the fridge.

The tea rooms is a bit of a hit and miss sometimes, but I can't miss a weekend without pancakes and bacon there.

There is also reeds on the river which I hear is pretty good but I haven't been to yet.

As for restaurants, Kasturi is my only recommendation, but the bar is low nonetheless :)

Reads on the river is very nice. Ate there about 3 weeks ago, had the lamb shank which was delicious but the veg and potato could be improved on, just something not quite rich enough. Oh had the burger and the wings which was also very good. Great evening drinking beer afterwards, might head back this weekend if the weather is good.

Reads on the river is very nice. Ate there about 3 weeks ago, had the lamb shank which was delicious but the veg and potato could be improved on, just something not quite rich enough. Oh had the burger and the wings which was also very good. Great evening drinking beer afterwards, might head back this weekend if the weather is good.

How did you have room for beer after that hefty feed! :eek::D

While some of this is old news, today's Irish Times confirms Base Pizza along with Mao at Home and Starbucks as new food tenants at Lucan (Supervalu) Shopping Cetnre.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/starbucks-mao-and-base-pizza-to-open-branches-in-lucan-1.2306549

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭brick tamland

While some of this is old news, today's Irish Times confirms Base Pizza along with Mao at Home and Starbucks as new food tenants at Lucan (Supervalu) Shopping Cetnre.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/starbucks-mao-and-base-pizza-to-open-branches-in-lucan-1.2306549

I see the protest went well then, 2 take aways opening up. Looking forward to Mao. Mango tree is easily the best Take away in Lucan for me but its a bit pricey, maybe with Mao as a direct rival it might bring prices down

I see the superquinn cafe is gone, hadnt got a hope really with Starbucks there.

• Advertisement

I see the protest went well then, 2 take aways opening up. Looking forward to Mao. Mango tree is easily the best Take away in Lucan for me but its a bit pricey, maybe with Mao as a direct rival it might bring prices down

I see the superquinn cafe is gone, hadnt got a hope really with Starbucks there.

O'Briens seem to have sharpened their pencil since Starbucks opened. I always found the place to be very grubby with dirty cups left on tables for ages and the floor left unswept.
    Recently, it's a lot cleaner.

Love the Mango Tree. The only downside is it has easily the longest wait for delivery but that reflects well on how popular the place is!

Advertisement