Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Takeaway in Lucan

Options

Comments

I see they are on just eat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Was in there for the Sunday buffet, place was practically empty. Food was fantastic, especially for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Looks like we're probably* getting a Mao at Home which I think is great news. Big fan of the Mao in town so hopefully the standard will be similar.

*Obviously pending the ongoing protest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Looks like we're probably* getting a Mao at Home which I think is great news. Big fan of the Mao in town so hopefully the standard will be similar.

*Obviously pending the ongoing protest

Really? Where?
    Also, stupid question, but what ongoing protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Heroditas wrote: »
    Really? Where?
    Also, stupid question, but what ongoing protest?

Where abtree was at superquinn.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/new-chinese-takeaway-could-be-detrimental-to-our-childrens-health-claims-community-30985877.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,834 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What a ridiculous protest: "Parents have expressed concern over the proposed takeaway's proximity to three schools nearby"

There's a McDonalds right beside it. Mao might be a takeaway but their food would be far healthier than McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

unkel wrote: »
    What a ridiculous protest: "Parents have expressed concern over the proposed takeaway's proximity to three schools nearby"

There's a McDonalds right beside it. Mao might be a takeaway but their food would be far healthier than McDonalds.

Their fear is if Mao moves out what replaces it. I think it be great.

Daft. Was down in the last week and seen what some kids were getting for lunch from McDonald's or the hot counter in superquinn. Mao would be a massive improvement. I reckon they started the protest before knowing it was Mao and not pizza hut or something and are afraid to back down for fear of looking stupid.

Anyway hopefully it opens. I reckon a lot the old "traditional" Chinese places must be in trouble between this and the Mango Tree.

Is the Mango Tree doing well? I only had food from them once. It was nice, but the portion size was very small.

Is the Mango Tree doing well? I only had food from them once. It was nice, but the portion size was very small.

Really? I'm always stuffed stupid when I order one of their curries and rice. The rice portion will comfortably feed two.
    They seem to be doing ok, judging by how long it takes to get an order delivered. I've also walked in off the street during the week and made an order and there's been decent footfall in and out while I've been waiting for my order.

• Advertisement

Was doing extremely well last night, hubby went in to get a take away and was told it would be an hour, people were told it could be 1hr 20 for delivery.

There's always a few people in there and deliveries going out any time I'm there.

Really? I'm always stuffed stupid when I order one of their curries and rice.

I had a noodle based dish. Maybe that was my mistake :)

Will try a curry and rice the next time. Had 2 takeaways from the new Dehli Darbar in the last month. Not bad but not great either. Kasturi is significantly better imho.

Better again was the meal my neighbour Ali brought in to me today though from his restaurant. Me + 3 kids devoured it :cool:

Check his place out here: linky

And Tom Doorley the well known food critic attempted a super hot phall curry cooked up by Ali :D

Linky

I used to always order from Spice n Rice when I lived in the city centre. It was a feature if my Subway nights for a year. Great food.

I was talking to someone this morning and apparently the council are trying to backtrack from the ruckus being raised about Mao opening. Once Lavelle found out it was Mao and not a burger or pizza joint, he said that there should be no reason for there to be objections so they're trying to smooth it out now.
    The main issue is that the centre is a bit of a no-go area in the evenings since SuperValu closed earlier and some of the other shops closed down. The tracksuit class like congregating there in greater numbers now.

Its our regular take away now and anytime I'm in it, its always very busy so I reckon its doing great business. Quality is very good IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Have to give the thumbs up to the Mango Tree. Food is very good for a take away, though the fried rice could be improved, it a bit dense and tasteless. Had it twice now and was definitely impressed. The Chinese restaurants should take note. Put the prices up and use quality ingredients, particularly the meat. How do they get away with what they call fillet of beef? Must try the Delhi darbar soon, would love a Bombay Pantry or Diwali in Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Having ordered take-away a few times from Deli Darbar, I have to be honest, what a disappointment - very average / low end food. The last time I ordered with them, I had 2 distinct curries. I tried them side by side, I could not tell a difference between spicing or colour and to be honest, I am quite a bit of a snob/expert on Indian food, having trained as a chef in UK with chefs from pakistan and bangladesh (with obvious different styles of cooking) before I returned to Ireland.

Kasturi is not great either, mainly because they lack variety and some of their curries are on the bland side, trying to seem upstreet.

On the thai food, well, Mango Tree is a fantastic take-away. Consistently good. Great quality and freshness. My only dislike is the amount of actual sauce is normally small, but I can't say they don't pack it with meet and veg. Although, normally I tend to just go to Lemongrass and collect it. They are near to me than mango tree and their service is normally faster than mango tree.

So I seen a planning permission for Base Pizza in superquinn. I wonder does this mean Mao isn't happening? Permit said a pizza place and artisan bakery.

Google tells me base pizza in ballsbridge is a wood fired pizza place with what look like good reviews. Still would rather Mao though

So I seen a planning permission for Base Pizza in superquinn. I wonder does this mean Mao isn't happening? Permit said a pizza place and artisan bakery.

Google tells me base pizza in ballsbridge is a wood fired pizza place with what look like good reviews. Still would rather Mao though

Hopefully they won't have the Ballsbridge prices to go with it.

could it be both given that there's that many empty units there?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Broadsider

I suppose we vary in our tastes, I've found the Delhi Darbar consisently excellent in flavour, freshness and quality of produce.
    However I won't eat at the Mango Tree as they add the Devils powder MSG to their food.

• Advertisement

Fagashlil wrote: »
    could it be both given that there's that many empty units there?

I thought only the card shop was empty.
    Is there another empty unit? I can't seem to place it.

The old bus stop newsagent is too, although I did hear rumour from someone who works in supervalu that Costa are going in there.

There's a few on the inside. The newsagent and dry cleaners. On the outside there's the bookshop, card shop and at least one between dunes and the main door. Think one used to be a small clothes shop

I'd forgotten about the bookshop.
    Do we really need a Costa? We already have O'Briens and SuperValu serving coffee and called/sandwiches. Seems like overkill

Broadsider wrote: »
    I suppose we vary in our tastes, I've found the Delhi Darbar consisently excellent in flavour, freshness and quality of produce.
    However I won't eat at the Mango Tree as they add the Devils powder MSG to their food.

Where did you see this about the MSG?

I'd forgotten about the bookshop.
    Do we really need a Costa? We already have O'Briens and SuperValu serving coffee and called/sandwiches. Seems like overkill

Prefer a starbucks!!!

Prefer a starbucks!!!

The coffee is crap in all of them!
    Best coffee for me is in the River Café.

The coffee is crap in all of them!
    Best coffee for me is in the River Café.

Ah, I am no coffee expert, only started to drink it in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Broadsider

Where did you see this about the MSG?

I'm not sure if you mean whether Mango Tree add MSG or where I got information about MSG. I'm guessing it's the former. I always ask if a restaurant ADDS MSG (they may use ingredients like stock cubes or gravy granules that already have msg) as I am allergic to it. Mango tree (and almost ALL the local Chinese restaurants) confirm they add msg if you ask them.
    The exception to this is the Annadale, but they caution that they use knorr stock which has smaller amounts of the stuff.

• Advertisement

Prefer a starbucks!!!

Looks like you're in luck! Was taking to a relative who's also a SV employee, and the old bus stop, dry cleaners and curtain shop will become 1 to reopen as Starbucks. Also base pizza will open. And Kay's kitchen will open at the back of the shop where the current coffee shop is, with an additional enterance going through the old bookshop. Apparently!

Advertisement