Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

• 18-01-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Im posting this up as there has been a lot of recent interest in Indian curry. Ive see this done in a few different restrants down through the years and have mastered it myself. the steps are the same from place to place with slight variation on the base gravy.
    I have been making these curries for years so feel free to ask any questions...

the basic steps are
    1. make ginger/garlic paste.
    2. make the generic spice mix called "mix" or "curry masala"
    3. make curry base.
    4. Pre cook your chicken.
    5. make a portion of curry using previous step ingredients.

the whole process will take about 3 hours so maybe try it on a lazy saturday or sunday afternoon. Ive given the recipes for the 3 main curries please try these first!

edit:- See Post #202 for simplified/altered versions of some of the recipes below.

Indian Restaurant Curry recipes

Ginger and garlic paste
    30g ginger
    30g garlic
    2tbs water
    Add the ingredients to a blender and blend to a paste consistency.

Curry Masala
    This is the generic Indian curry powder used in Indian restaurants.
    2tbs ground coriander
    2tbs ground cumin
    2tbs paprika
    3tbs ground turmeric
    1tbs garam masala
    2tbs curry powder

Mix these spices well and keep in an airtight container.

Curry base gravy
    200ml Vegetable oil
    2tbs ginger and garlic paste
    7 medium onions
    1tsp salt
    2 medium carrots
    1 green pepper
    2 green chillies
    Water
    2tbs curry masala
    ½ can of plumb tomatoes
    Handful of fresh coriander leaves

Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot and add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté for two minutes. Add the onions and salt and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, green pepper and chillies and sauté for a further 10 minutes.
    Add just enough water to the pot to cover the vegetables and bring to the boil. Then add the remaining ingredients and boil for 25 minutes.
    Turn off the heat and blend the contents of the pot, with a hand blender. The consistency should be of a thinish soup. Water can be added to thin the curry base gravy if necessary, i usually do.
    This curry base gravy will keep in the fridge for 3 days, after which, it will lose its flavor. I normally freeze it, in take away cartons. Each carton holds 5 ladles of curry base gravy, with which I can make 2 curries, any time I feel like it!

Cooking the meats (4 portions)
    4tbs vegetable oil
    4 bay leaves
    3 cinnamon sticks
    4 green cardamom pods
    1 chopped onion
    1tbs ginger and garlic paste
    ½ tsp of salt
    4 chicken breasts diced/lamb
    Water to cover the meat
    1tbs curry masala

Heat the oil and add the whole spices. When the cardamom pods swell add the ginger and garlic paste, onion and salt. Sauté for 5 mins, then add the remaining ingredients. Bring to the boil then simmer for 45mins, stir occasionally. The chicken will absorb a all the great flavours and become very tender and succulent. If cooking lamb, it will need to cook for 3 hours so add water every hour to stop the pot going dry.

Pilau Rice
    2tbs oil
    2cups basmati rice
    3 cinnamon sticks
    3 star anise
    6 green cardamoms
    1tsp cumin seeds
    6 cloves
    3cups water
    1tsp turmeric

Wash the rice and soak it in water for 20mins, then strain off the water.
    Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves. When the cardamom pods swell add the cumin seed, wait 10 seconds then add the rice, water and turmeric. Bring to the boil, then immediately put the lid on the pot, reduce the heat and cook for 6 minutes (do not remove the lid during this 6 minutes). After the 6 minutes, remove the lid and allow the steam to dissipate. Stir the rice and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Stir the rice again until all the steam dissipates, this takes a further 5-10 minutes. Then put the lid on until you are ready to use it or it will become lumpy.

Notes on curries
    After completing all the prep above we are now ready to make curries. Curries are usually prepared in individual portions to order. Each curry should take only 6 minutes to cook. If you can imagine in a restaurant setting, an order is taken by the serving staff and passed on to the kitchen. In the kitchen they need to cook the curries in individual portions for the customer and it needs to be done fast.
    The cooking techniques need to be followed accurately and the ingredients need to be exact amounts as the overall balance of flavours at the end is critical for best results.
    The amount of oil used may seem excessive but it is critical to the cooking process. Reducing the amount of oil used will give poor results, unfortunately.

Chicken/Lamb Madras (Serves 1)
    1 chef spoon of vegetable oil
    1tsp ginger and garlic paste
    1 ½ tbs tomato puree
    1tbs fenugreek leaves
    1tbs curry masala
    1tsp chilli powder
    tsp salt
    3 ladles of curry base gravy
    1 portion of precooked meat
    ½ a tomato
    2tsp lemon juice
    2tbs chopped coriander leaves

Heat the oil in a pan on high heat. Add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté until the edges start to turn brown. quickly add the tomato puree and all the spice to the pan. Immediately add 2 ladles of curry base and stir in fast. Add the 3rd ladle of curry base, the tomato and precooked meats and stir. Cook on high heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and coriander leaves. Cook on high heat for a minute and serve.

Chicken/Lamb Rogan josh (serves 1)
    1 chef spoon of vegetable oil
    1tsp ginger and garlic paste
    1 ½tbs tomato pure
    2tbs plain yogurt
    1tbs fenugreek leaves
    1tbs curry masala
    1tsp paprika
    tsp salt
    3 ladles of curry base gravy
    ½ a tomato
    2tbs chopped coriander leaves

Heat the oil in a pan on high heat. Add the ginger and garlic paste and sauté until the edges start to turn brown. Add the tomato puree and yogurt, stir in and then add the spices. Immediately add 2 ladles of curry base and stir in fast. Add the 3rd ladle of curry base, the tomato and precooked meats and stir. Cook on high heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the coriander leaves. Cook on high heat for a minute and serve.

Chicken/Lamb Korma (serves 1)
    2tbs vegetable oil
    2tbs creamed coconut (from a block)
    2tbs ground almond
    1tbs sugar
    ½tsp salt
    2 ladles curry base
    100ml cream

Heat the oil in a pan and add all the ingredients except the cream. Cook on a high heat for 5 mins. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

You legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

You legend.

I'll second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NiCiarain

longshanks wrote: »
    I'll second that.

And I'll third it.
    There's loads of great information there, thanks

I've been a long time trying to make the prefect Indian restaraunt style saag aloo, do you think using the curry base you describe above would work for saag aloo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

NiCiarain wrote: »
    And I'll third it.

I've been a long time trying to make the prefect Indian restaraunt style saag aloo, do you think using the curry base you describe above would work for saag aloo?

i think some places use it in saag aloo. ive never perfected this because i prefer to make it sarsoon ka saag style.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Thank you SO much.

I was trying to build up the courage to ask you if you had a korma recipe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Jean wrote: »
    Thank you SO much.

I was trying to build up the courage to ask you if you had a korma recipe!

I use this recipe for Chicken Korma, and it's yum!

Ingredients:

3 tbs Olive oil
    2 Onions, chopped
    3 tbs butter
    6 tbs plain yoghurt
    2 tbs mango chutney
    4 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp chilli powder
    2 tsp garam masala
    1 tsp salt (or to taste)
    4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
    1/3 cup flaked almonds to serve

Method:

*Fry onions in oil.

*Liquidise yoghurt, chutney, butter, garlic, turmeric, salt, garam masala and chilli powder.

*Pour over raw chicken in a Pirex/ roasting dish and bake for 30 mins on 180'C.

*When cooked, decorate with flaked almonds.

NiCiarain wrote: »
    And I'll third it.

Saag Aloo

2tbs Vegetable oil
    200g of spinach, blanched and pureed
    2 parboiled potatoes quartered
    ½ a medium onion chopped finely
    1 tsp of curry masala
    1 tsp of tomato puree
    1 teaspoon of dried fenugreek leaves
    2/3 tsp salt
    1/2 of a medium tomato, chopped
    1 ladle of curry base
    1 tbs fresh coriander leaf, chopped

heat the oil and add the onion and pepper, saute on high heat for a minute and then add the tomato pure and then the spices. quickly add the curry base and then the rest of the ingredients. cook on high heat for 4-5 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Saag Aloo

2tbs Vegetable oil
    200g of spinach, blanched and pureed
    2 parboiled potatoes quartered
    ½ a medium onion chopped finely
    1 tsp of curry masala
    1 tsp of tomato puree
    1 teaspoon of dried fenugreek leaves
    2/3 tsp salt
    1/2 of a medium tomato, chopped
    1 ladle of curry base
    1 tbs fresh coriander leaf, chopped

heat the oil and add the onion and pepper, saute on high heat for a minute and then add the tomato pure and then the spices. quickly add the curry base and then the rest of the ingredients. cook on high heat for 4-5 mins.
    Ok... I think i'm actually in love with you.;):pac:

Would you perchance have the perfect recipe for tikka masala?

Wurly wrote: »
    Ok... I think i'm actually in love with you.;):pac:

Would you perchance have the perfect recipe for tikka masala?

The standard method uses sugar,coconut powder, curry base, curry masala, pataks tandori paste and pataks tikka paste and cream. im not a fan of this illuminous pink one.

the better resturants use this method.....

Chicken Tikka Masala

Chicken marinade

4 chicken breasts
    2tsp deggi mirch(chili powder)

1tsp mace powder
    1tsp cardamom powder
    10gm ginger paste
    10gm garlic paste
    1tsp lemon juice
    Pinch of salt
    50ml oil

The gravy

150gm butter
    50gm garlic paste
    30gm ginger paste
    Pinch of salt
    1kg tomatoes, pureed or canned plum tomatoes
    200ml chicken stock
    Pinch of salt
    10gm ginger juliennes
    2tsp mace powder
    3tsp cardamom powder
    1tsp ground cumin
    2 green chillies
    1tsp deggi mirch (chili powder)

3tbs fenugreek leaves
    3-4tsp honey
    200ml cream

Add all the chicken marinade ingredients to a bowl and stir until it all blends nicely.
    Cube the chicken and stir it into the marinade. Stir the chicken until its nicely coated and refrigerate for a few hours(if possible).

Melt the butter in a large pot and add the ginger and garlic paste and a pinch of salt. Saute the ginger and garlic for 5 mins stirring occasionally. Stir the tomatoes into the pot. Add the chicken stock and a pinch of salt, simmer the mix for 20mins with the lid on stirring occasionally. Blend the sauce with a hand blender until nice and smooth

Add the dry spices, chillies, ginger juliennes and fenugreek leaves. Simmer the mix for 15mins with the lid on stirring occasionally.

Pour the chicken mix onto a baking tray, spread out the pieces and cook in a preheated oven at 160 degrees for 15-20mins.

Add the honey 1tsp at a time to the sauce, stir in and taste to get your preferred balance of sweetness after each spoon. Add the cream and the chicken and stir in. Simmer the mix for 10mins with the lid on stirring occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Can't wait to try this, need to get rid of the kids for a few hours to give me space!!!

Quick question how much or what size is a chef spoon?

• Advertisement

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Can't wait to try this, need to get rid of the kids for a few hours to give me space!!!

Quick question how much or what size is a chef spoon?

a chef spoon is approx. 40ml
    a ladle is 120ml afaik

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've cooked pretty much all of the recipes above and can testify honestly on their quality. The Tikka Masala would probably edge it in this house but tastes differ so try them all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've the curry masala you've posted on the go now or rather, I'm using it as the spice mix in your curry recipe from last year. Had a quick taste and it's good, nice smell wafting through the house. Next time I might not include the chicken stock.

Black Oil wrote: »
    I've the curry masala you've posted on the go now or rather, I'm using it as the spice mix in your curry recipe from last year. Had a quick taste and it's good, nice smell wafting through the house. Next time I might not include the chicken stock.

curry masala should work ok, ive used it myself once in the malaysian also :) its not quite as suited as the malaysian spice mix tho!
    what was the problem with adding chicken stock?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Don't think there's an issue, maybe it dilutes the curry masala mix a jot or two, I only had a spoonful of the liquid to taste. Will have a better idea tomorrow when I try the full thing. :)

if its too liquidy just boil it down, hope it works out ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm making the base gravy at the moment and going to have the Rogan Josh for dinner later.

Can't wait, tasting the gravy as I'm going along, and now at the last stage of the boiling, it tastes lovely already.

Thanks Curry Addict

you cant go far wrong if u just follow the steps! i really recommend the madras as its godly good, hope it goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I made your madras last night and it was excellent, top notch! I'm already looking forward to trying out the other recipes, thanks so much for sharing :)

glad you enjoyed, its a lot of work but worth it in the end result :)

• Advertisement

Ended up having this tonight.

One Korma and one Rogan Josh, both delicious. With the Pilau Rice recipe given also.

I think from the gravy base recipe given there'll be 16 dinners had, which is a fairly good return.

They really do taste like the stuff from a take away, it's brilliant!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just had the korma and the rice. holy god that is devine - shame it is so fattening though, wont be having that until again until after the wedding.

tried some of des's rogan josh, that was amazing.

sir, you are a legend :D

irishbird wrote: »
    sir, you are a legend :D

Thanks

yes pity its not so healthy, glad ye enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

its scary how accurate your recipes are curry addict ;) did you work in an Indian?

no just a long time obsession with spicey food :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

The standard method uses sugar,coconut powder, curry base, curry masala, pataks tandori paste and pataks tikka paste and cream. im not a fan of this illuminous pink one.

the better resturants use this method.....

Chicken Tikka Masala

Chicken marinade

4 chicken breasts
    2tsp deggi mirch(chili powder)

1tsp mace powder
    1tsp cardamom powder
    10gm ginger paste
    10gm garlic paste
    1tsp lemon juice
    Pinch of salt
    50ml oil

The gravy

150gm butter
    50gm garlic paste
    30gm ginger paste
    Pinch of salt
    1kg tomatoes, pureed or canned plum tomatoes
    200ml chicken stock
    Pinch of salt
    10gm ginger juliennes
    2tsp mace powder
    3tsp cardamom powder
    1tsp ground cumin
    2 green chillies
    1tsp deggi mirch (chili powder)

3tbs fenugreek leaves
    3-4tsp honey
    200ml cream

Add all the chicken marinade ingredients to a bowl and stir until it all blends nicely.
    Cube the chicken and stir it into the marinade. Stir the chicken until its nicely coated and refrigerate for a few hours(if possible).

Melt the butter in a large pot and add the ginger and garlic paste and a pinch of salt. Saute the ginger and garlic for 5 mins stirring occasionally. Stir the tomatoes into the pot. Add the chicken stock and a pinch of salt, simmer the mix for 20mins with the lid on stirring occasionally. Blend the sauce with a hand blender until nice and smooth

Add the dry spices, chillies, ginger juliennes and fenugreek leaves. Simmer the mix for 15mins with the lid on stirring occasionally.

Pour the chicken mix onto a baking tray, spread out the pieces and cook in a preheated oven at 160 degrees for 15-20mins.

Add the honey 1tsp at a time to the sauce, stir in and taste to get your preferred balance of sweetness after each spoon. Add the cream and the chicken and stir in. Simmer the mix for 10mins with the lid on stirring occasionally.

giving this a bash in a minute, have 12 hungry peoples on the way to the house atm, so hopefully it will go allright. chickens marinating with nearly 4 hours now, i don't have any fenugreek so iam just going to bore on without it.
    will report back later as to how it went down:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Recipe must be very complicated it seems, read sposed to be a 5 of clock start, 17:45 now and still no curry :-(

COME ON SPONGEBOB

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

great success:D
    had people going back for 2nd's and even a few 3rd's, had alot of sauce leftover, such was the demand i had to cook more un-marinated chicken seperatly and mix it up with the leftover sauce to keep people happy. only fault i had with the recipe was that it was a little watery, i was tempted to add a bit of cornflour to help thicken the sauce but thought better of it in case it affected the taste, i might experiment when its only myself and the missus is all is for it.

but allround a real winner:D
    very well done curry addict you really know your stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Big Lar

You should have thew in the fistful of flour and thickened up the sauce in my opinion cos twas a bit runny, the fella across the table from me looked across and asked was it curry soup ?

Advertisement