Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Infinite

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

there's no steam sales in february/march, right?

hopefully enough people pay a reasonable price for it (and that it's worth a reasonable price in the first place) instead of huge chunks of gamers waiting like vultures for a 25-50% drop a few months down the line

Not original, but highly appropriate in this case :)

0c7b6ea1_shutupandtakemymoney.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wasn't that announced ages ago? I think we got it even posted here few pages ago.

Though yes, it's a great news. No half arsed multiplayer.

Think its the first confirmation that it is completely MP free, as opposed to what was previously ambiguous and speculative (some MP modes had been confirmed as cancelled).

Either way: huzzah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Think its the first confirmation that it is completely MP free, as opposed to what was previously ambiguous and speculative (some MP modes had been confirmed as cancelled).

Either way: huzzah :)
    I believe the original story was regarding the difficulty they were having implementing and/or balancing multiplayer modes which were, at that point, unannounced.

This makes it even more important to support though. Given the troubled development the game seems to have had, this looks more like 2K realising they need to get the game out the door and can't afford to spend additional resources on the multiplayer functionality. If this is the case then strong early sales should be a clear message to them that such superfluous modes aren't always required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

gizmo wrote: »
    I believe the original story was regarding the difficulty they were having implementing and/or balancing multiplayer modes which were, at that point, unannounced.

This makes it even more important to support though. Given the troubled development the game seems to have had, this looks more like 2K realising they need to get the game out the door and can't afford to spend additional resources on the multiplayer functionality. If this is the case then strong early sales should be a clear message to them that such superfluous modes aren't always required.

Reason enough to buy it, can't beat a proper single player story driven experience!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Call me odd, but I rather enjoyed the Modern Warfare campaigns and barely, if ever touched the multiplayer. It's the only reason I got MW3.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whoop to no multiplayer. Means they won't take away from the single player like many, many other games.
    A thousand times this. And thats why a handful of game studios are in the tank, from wasting money on these useless multiplayer features that get a month or two of use then become graveyards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Slightly OT but I never played any of the previous Bioshock games - are they worth picking up? I love my FPS games!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SuprSi wrote: »
    Slightly OT but I never played any of the previous Bioshock games - are they worth picking up? I love my FPS games!

Yes, very much so. The first has a few rough edges on the gameplay side of things (far from bad, mind you, but scaled-back from System Shock 2) but the richness of the setting and the game's thematic and story depth more than makes up for any minor missed opportunities. The second game you can take or leave TBH: the mechanics are undeniably more involving, but the story has absolutely nothing on the first. I enjoyed revisiting Rapture, but it lacks the depth of its predecessor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I actually preferred the story of the second one myself. It felt a bit more involving being a Big Daddy as opposed to a guy who turns up in Rapture. Plus, dual wielding weapons and plasmids is awesome.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I love bioshock 2. That drill weapon thing is a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I liked both. Each of them has good points and bad points, but both worth a play. Bioshock 1 is one of my favourite games of all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

2 of the best games ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well that's a pretty unanimous endorsement!! Think I'll take a visit to Play.com and see if I can get them for cheap. Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought the multi-player in Bioshock 2 was actually quite excellent. The game itself, also excellent, but being a sequel, it was never going to pull the punch the originality of the first did.

Well that's a pretty unanimous endorsement!! Think I'll take a visit to Play.com and see if I can get them for cheap. Thanks all!

You should be able to get them for an excellent price in the inevitable Steam Christmas sale.

H. H. Asquith

I actually preferred the story of the second one myself. It felt a bit more involving being a Big Daddy as opposed to a guy who turns up in Rapture. Plus, dual wielding weapons and plasmids is awesome.
    If you read the Bioshock book, you find out that he was actually born on Rapture, but genetically altered to make him age quicker, and then all the memories of him ever being off of Rapture were placed there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bioshock 2 is worth getting for the DLC episode alone. Far better than the main game.

Also that wasn't me quoted on kotaku :)

If you read the Bioshock book, you find out that he was actually born on Rapture, but genetically altered to make him age quicker, and then all the memories of him ever being off of Rapture were placed there

Saw that on the wiki. I was more referring to the way you perceive Jack through most of the game. I'd forgotten about Minerva's Den. Is it worth getting then?

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes it is. It's basically Bioshock 2 but with much better pacing and a better story.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes it is. It's basically Bioshock 2 but with much better pacing and a better story.

Blast. I'll have to buy Xbox live credit now.

H. H. Asquith

Saw that on the wiki. I was more referring to the way you perceive Jack through most of the game. I'd forgotten about Minerva's Den. Is it worth getting then?

That was somewhat the point and is what makes the ending of #1 even better. Its been quite a while since I played #2, but I think it might be hinted at there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,311 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bioshock 2 is worth getting for the DLC episode alone. Far better than the main game.

Also that wasn't me quoted on kotaku :)

Second that.

Thouroughly enjoyed BioShock 2 but, like Dead Space 2, I found the DLC side story to be even stronger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

is the dlc out for pc yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

is the dlc out for pc yet?

You mean minyira minivera Minrvas Den?

I may as well tell you the good news first, :) it was been released on PC a good while back.

The bad news is I am pretty sure the only place you can get it is on GFWL marketplace, because it took me ages to find it a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

she is perfect! i cant believe how well she is in alice too. feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I loved Bioshock.

Didn't enjoy Bioshock 2 at all though as it made no sense to me:
    In Bioshock Big Daddies are bad ass motherfúckers who can take 2 or 3 missiles to the face and still be coming for you.

In Bioshock 2 a couple of Splicers can take you down with pistols. Makes zero sense to me.

• Advertisement

It'd make the game too easy. I see what you're saying and it is a bit weak to see a Big Daddy go down after only a few hits but in fairness, Subject Delta was the first and is somewhat outdated.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement