Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bucaneer

bucaneer wrote: »
    Hi Corsendonkx
    Just done a quick search and found these two

The only other Joseph Connolly from Rush that I found was listed with dozens of other Connolly's from all over the UK and Ireland with no Date.It gives his Reg ticket number 554,595 and place of birth.This suggests it was from an earlier date.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

The only other Joseph Connolly from Rush that I found was listed with dozens of other Connolly's from all over the UK and Ireland with no Date.It gives his Reg ticket number 554,595 and place of birth.This suggests it was from an earlier date.

I think that may be the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pacj

Anyone know the history of "The Mariners Cottage", and its residents ????

Not sure if any have seen this.It is Griffiths valuation in Rush from 1852

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Would anyone know where exactly the grave of Jack the Bachelor is in the Kenure graveyard?? I was having a look today but couldn't find anything in the name of Jack/John O'Connor.

• Advertisement

Would anyone know where exactly the grave of Jack the Bachelor is in the Kenure graveyard?? I was having a look today but couldn't find anything in the name of Jack/John O'Connor.

I was looking in the graveyard myself a while back. Have to say some of the older grave stones are in a real state. The faces of many older gravestones appeared to have sheared off. Back to your question, according to FCC
    On the western side of the church is the grave of John Connors of Rush, an 18th century smuggler known as "Jack the Bachelor". There is a polished marble obelisk to the southwest of the church.

The gravestone is in old english, you might have better luck reading the older gravestones if you bring a charcoal pencil and a roll of parchment paper.

Anyone see these additions to Rush? Perhaps someone(LeoB) has close up images so we can see the fine detail.

1010183_1392011961012667_739935135_n.jpg

1016064_589597701085713_799852169_n.jpg

A welcome addition to the town and a reminder of our history but is the above correct?

Is St Maur the patron saint of Seafarers?

Not according to the Vatican.
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/migrants/documents/rc_pc_migrants_doc_20000601_mare_santi_en.html

Did a crusader build and dedicate St Maurs Church?

Well the ruins of the church have a plaque erected by the Town Council and I grew up hearing that the forerunner of the stone ruin was built by french sailors/fishermen so the crusader comes as a surprise.

Maurs%20plaque.jpg

Now I know in the press release, FCC use the world legendary but these sculptors are suppose to celebrate "Rush Maritime History" not FCC version of Rush history and fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

A welcome addition to the town and a reminder of our history but is the above correct?

Is St Maur the patron saint of Seafarers?

Not according to the Vatican.
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/migrants/documents/rc_pc_migrants_doc_20000601_mare_santi_en.html

Did a crusader build and dedicate St Maurs Church?

Now I know in the press release, FCC use the world legendary but these sculptors are suppose to celebrate "Rush Maritime History" not FCC version of Rush history and fact.

I see no reference to the Sea,however one of his mates fell into a lake, and was rescued by St Maur

http://www.osb.org/gen/greg/dia-09.html#P67_24865

He seems to have had an impact, on the use of ''The Sign of The Cross'' as a Blessing

http://www.osb.org/gen/maurus/maurlife.html

His followers came to a sorry end
    wiki wrote:
    Towards the end of the 18th century a rationalistic and freethinking spirit seems to have invaded some of the houses. The congregation was suppressed and the monks scattered at the revolution, the last superior-general with forty of his monks dying on the scaffold in Paris.

But you would'nt expect FCC to to use 'Google'' would you.

Edit.

Luke Ryan, was a bit of a lad,
    plenty of local names in this

http://www.historyireland.com/early-modern-history-1500-1700/an-irish-buccaneer/

A little about Rush own Newgrange.

The Civil Engineer and Architect Journal, 1839
    Dk Smith read a paper by Lieutenant Newenham RN On a Tumulus or Barrow near Rush County of Dublin The barrow called Knocklea or the Giant's Hill is situated on the edge of the cliff about midway between the village of Rush county of Dublin and the martello tower to the northward called Dromanick and immediately in front of Sir William Palmer's residence Kinure Park It appears to have been composed of quantities of boulder stones and earth heaped up into a conical form and sloping away to the base which was square as appears from the eastern angle which yet remains perfect Within the base of the mound there was a circle formed of large stones placed on their ends and about one hundred paces in circumference The farmer who rents the land on which it stands has removed about one half of the mound for the sake of the earth as a manure and nearly one half of the circle of stones on the south side for the purpose of building a wall part of which is erected on the stones forming the western side of the circle In the course of his depredations he discovered a passage which opened on the south side its entrance was funnel shaped and the walls of this passage were formed of flag stones placed on their ends and roofed in with the same It was about eleven yards long and one in width and led to a low chamber about eight feet long and six wide which was situated nearly in the centre of the barrow and formed of stones in the same manner as the passage The farmer removed all the stones forming the western side of the passage and in the course of his excavations found some human bones on the south side of the chamber and within the circle of stones The lines of stones forming the sides of the passage appear to continue on through the mound towards the north side and a few feet below the present surface of the barrow a little to the north of the chamber there is a bed of periwinkle shells about eight inches thick with some limpet and muscle shells intermixed and beneath this bed of shells there is a quantity of rich dark mould with some reddish earth which has the appearance of being burned A few human bones and some bones of small animals were found in the earth beneath Outside the circle of stones and on the very edge of the cliff near the western angle of the mound there was found a rudely formed grave containing a human skull with the bones of the arm leg and thigh which apparently had never been disturbed the bones of the back ribs &c could not be discovered There are several remains of entrenchments and smaller mounds in the neighbourhood Circles of stones are found enclosing many similar barrows in Ireland At New Grange near Dowth in the county of Louth the circumference of one measured about four hundred paces and in a barrow near Drogheda an engineer officer found a gigantic skolcton a pair of elks bones and a spear in an upright position the horns were above the skeleton There are many barrows in the neighbourhood of Drogheda which if opened under the direction of competent persons would probably lead to many very interesting discoveries

Only one stone survives today it seems
    http://www.megalithomania.com/show/site/56/knocklea_passage_tomb.htm

In a previous life a posted in another thread a list of Balbriggan nick names. In village and towns were only a core group of family names exist and a tradition of keeping first names alive within families it was quite common for individuals to have nicknames, some passed down the generations while others are recent enough creations from childhood or sports playing days. Most often the meaning of the nickname is lost in the mists of time but some do hint at a past profession, physical appearance or location within the town. So what Rush family nicknames do you remember?

I found this excellent list of nicknames on the very good Loughshinny History in Photos FB site
    Bunty Plunkett
    Moby Plunkett
    Wimmy Corr
    Butt Corr
    O Corr
    Our Corr
    Stake Wilde
    Button Wilde
    Blood Wilde
    Bandy Wilde
    Heck Wilde
    Big John
    Narky Wilde
    Stretch Wilde
    Soddy Wilde
    Dit Wilde
    Smuddy Attley
    Rattler Attley
    Jambuns Attleys
    Ucker Attley
    Buddy Matthews
    Duck Matthews
    Rodie / Benny Rogan
    Ace Rogan
    Duzzer Rogan
    Chicks Fanning
    Joss Fanning
    Nos Fanning
    Big Ned
    Speck Ferguson
    Shavo Ferguson
    Ossie Ferguson
    The Bug Ferguson
    Fred Ferguson
    Hanahoe Ryan
    The Mare Ryan
    Tar Ryan
    Dinah Ryan
    Yank Ryan
    Scut Ryan
    Duck Egg
    Gant Toole
    Kitter Kavanagh
    Doctor Kavanagh
    Scouse
    Wiggy Kavanagh
    Ginty McGuinness
    Big Doll Kenny
    Sparrow Kenny
    Snowball Keny
    Jeddie Ryan
    Boc Jones
    Larry Gusty
    Twi Fagan
    Rancher Fagan
    Cueball Manson
    Ha Ha Manson
    Ling Corr
    Pollard Wilde
    Lark Farrell

• Advertisement

Hi all
    These are some of historical leonard stuff.Margaret leonard wife of John Leonard of Rush 1800-1862 some bits and pieces of her will.other items are two of her sons Francis leonard and death notice of Bishop john Leonard on Feb 19th 1908

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I found this excellent list of nicknames on the very good Loughshinny History in Photos FB site

Some great characters there. I laughed when I saw some of the names and some of these names are still exist and still a few popular lads in there.

With my name easily recognizable I would not put up the Rush nicknames.

martinn123 wrote: »
    I see no reference to the Sea,however one of his mates fell into a lake, and was rescued by St Maur

http://www.osb.org/gen/greg/dia-09.html#P67_24865

He seems to have had an impact, on the use of ''The Sign of The Cross'' as a Blessing

http://www.osb.org/gen/maurus/maurlife.html

His followers came to a sorry end

But you would'nt expect FCC to to use 'Google'' would you.

Edit.

Luke Ryan, was a bit of a lad,
    plenty of local names in this

http://www.historyireland.com/early-modern-history-1500-1700/an-irish-buccaneer/

I decided to fire off a mail to FCC to see if I could get an explanation about why a crusader was chosen rather than the fishermen and I asked about the source for the statement that St Maur was the "Patron Saint of Seafarers"

This is what I got back from the Executive Parks Superintendent last Monday about a week later and having to resend the mail until they answered.
    It is my understanding that the commissioned artists Daniel Cullen and Una Keeley made all decisions regarding what historical figures would be included in the public art work at Echlin Court, Rush. They can be contacted through: www.una-daniel.com

All enquiries regarding the work, its sources and meanings should be directed them as they were the creators.

The source of the fact that St. Muir is considered a patron saint of sailors comes from local soyrces, including www.balbriggan.net ‘The Holy Wells of Fingal’ and there may be some mention on Wikipedia.

Maybe I should have looked up St Muir on Wiki..........

Luke was some boy,he was a real buccaneer.

Very good Corsendonkx.I never heard of that camp before.Just got into the camp papers and got the prisoners list.you were sharp getting that.

Very good Corsendonkx.I never heard of that camp before.

Two Leonards for you to connect to that ever increasing family tree!:D

During your researches have you come across a Irish/French merchant of the name Saule? He employed a certain chap of the surname Hennessy who went on to marry well and expanded his father brandy business. The Brandy business in the late 1800s seems a boom or bust business and Saule entered into a business partnership with a group of smugglers from Rush. Unfortunately the last cargo was unpaid for. It would be interesting if we could put names to any of the Rush Smugglers involved.

Hi CorsendonkX
    This is the first I have heard of Mr Saule,I must try and find out more about him.Who has not heard of Mr Hennessy lol.On my Leonard side my Gr Gr Grandfather John Leonard from Rush born 1800 had 5 sons and 3 Daughters 2 of the sons died as infants one became a bishop another james never married and the last Francis became a Merchant in Clanbrassill st south Circular rd area.He was married but they had no Children So the Leonard name on my direct side finished with the Death of Francis Leonard in 1914. John leonard was a boat owner and merchant in Rush plus had grocery Ling and spirit Business in Marlborough street.Maybe he may have had some contact with Mr Saule.I would love to find out more.Johns wife Margaret's Maiden name was Madden.Her father Francis william Madden with a grocery business in Francis street Dublin Married Margaret Rickard in Rush in 1800.

Hi CorsendonkX
    I have just watched a National Geographic Video online about Benjamin Franklin's pirate fleet.it is 45 mins long.It is centred on Divers searching off Hollyhead for remnants of a shipwreck.The central characters are Benjamin Franklin and Luke Ryan from Rush.Anyone want to view it just Google Benjamin Franklin's Pirate fleet and the link to the National Geographic video should come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

GreenLady wrote: »
    Which PP was that? - before my time anyway. When we moved to Rush the PP was an amazing rose grower and the parochial house had the most lovely roses in the garden. He was very old. The garden was destroyed to make way for the new church of course

I never heard why the new church in Rush was built ( had a search through this thread but no joy)

I remember looking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ6tZtGrShgat an exhibition in the old church/library and all mentions of the new/old church were extremely sanitised.

So I guess there was some controversy about it.

• Advertisement

I never heard why the new church in Rush was built ( had a search through this thread but no joy)

I remember looking at an exhibition in the old church/library and all mentions of the new/old church were extremely sanitised.

Pro New Church Line:
    The Church was found to be a death trap forcing the parish to close it immediately. The Parish Council felt that building a new much larger modern church would serve better the needs of the parish rather than repairing the old church.

Anti New Church Line:
    Shameless attempt by the PP and Curate at the time to establish a legacy for themselves by building a rather expensive pyramid design so beloved by the Dublin Diocese in the 1980s.

So I guess there was some controversy about it.

Some parishioners stopped attending mass in Rush, started commuting to mass in Skerries & Lusk and never returned. A sit in of the old church was staged by people you would never normally associate with protests. Plenty of bad blood between fellow parishioners who were pro or anti the new church. The story made it to the national media at the time so you should be able to find more info in the newspaper archives.

Emer

emer.jpg

Wife of Cúchulainn and daughter of Forgall Monach who lived in his fortress at Luglochta Loga [Gardens of Lug] in Lusk.

She is said to have possessed all six “gifts” by which women were judged:
    • Beauty
    • Voice
    • Chasity
    • Needlework
    • Wisdom
    • Sweet Speech

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/celtic/ctexts/emer.html
    http://www.loughshinnyvillage.com/Cuhulainn.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgall_Monach
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emer

I remember going on a March to the arch bishops palace and there was a large crowd at it.

It was very divisive at the time and I would say there is still a little bit of bad blood. If they had a plan at the time with some explanations for people it could have went ahead but people were not very fond of either of the priests at the time and felt they were being dictated to and lectured to.

It was a huge turning point in the history of Rush. Possibly the first time there had been such a serious "row" where people stood up to the clergy and their committee. It was amazing to see people at the time, normally very quiet, reserved people get very worked up on this issue. They were very dedicated and ensured we got to keep a historical and important building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hi everyone, great thread. Would anyone have any pics or stories of my grandad. Thomas "Heck" Weldon. I'd love to know more about him and maybe give my
    Dad a scrapbook or something along those lines. He used to be the postman in Rush, Heck, not my dad.

I knew Heck and actually worked for 2 Christmas periods with him. Postmen got helpers back then and I was Heck's helper.

He retired about 1978/79. I remember him delivering down around the harbour area where I lived. During the 70s there were 3 postal staff, the driver Jimmy Tolan from Balbriggan and Jarlath (Charlie) Jones. Jimmy moved and Tony Pyne took over as driver around 1981. I joined in February 1980 and used to chat to Heck most days up in Hayestown where he lived. He was also a decent golfer from what I heard. Myself, Tony and Charlie still work together and are now based in Balbriggan D.S.U. Not sure he would like working now the way things have changed.

If you wanted information on him you would probably have to contact H.R in GPO who could probably give you his start date and details of his service in Dept of P & T

Hi all
    Not sure if you have seen this before,it is correspondence between Luke Ryan and Benjamin Franklin.It is from the time when Franklin was American Ambassador to France

This is Correspondence between Benjamin Franklin and others about Privateers including Luke ryan and Patrick dowling from Rush.

This is an article from the Lancaster Gazette on the 8-dec-1888 about a Drowning of Rush Fishermen

These are the crews from Rush of the Schooner Margaret Leonard and the fishing boat Ellen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Interesting new Web-Site launched, giving details of the records of 50,000 Irishmen who died in WW1.

http://imr.inflandersfields.be/search.html

Searching for ''Rush'' as place of birth,you get these

BEASHEL, NICHOLAS RUSH, CO. DUBLIN
    THE SOUTH WALES BORDERERS, 6TH BATT.

CONDON, JOHN RUSH, CO. DUBLIN
    1ST ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS

DING, WALTER RUSH, CO. DUBLIN
    LINCOLNSHIRE REGIMENT, 6TH BATT.

HARE, GEORGE WILLIAM RUSH, CO. DUBLIN
    2ND ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS

MCGEE, PATRICK RUSH, CO. DUBLIN

RYAN, THOMAS RUSH, CO. DUBLIN

SMART, BERNARD RUSH, CO. DUBLIN
    ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS, 1ST BATT.

and for ''Lusk''

COTTON, EDWARD LUSK, CO. DUBLIN

LAMBE, RICHARD LUSK, CO. DUBLIN
    4TH LEINSTER REGIMENT

MARTIN, CHARLES LUSK, CO. DUBLIN

MCCANN, JAMES LUSK, CO. DUBLIN
    ROYAL IRISH RIFLES, 1ST BATT.

MCDERMOTT, ROBERT LUSK, CO. DUBLIN
    IRISH GUARDS, 1ST BATT.

MCMAHON, PATRICK LUSK, CO. DUBLIN

NORTON, JOHN CHRISTOPHER LUSK, CO. DUBLIN
    4TH (QUEEN'S OWN) HUSSARS

O'NEILL, MICHAEL LUSK, CO. DUBLIN
    2ND ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS

WHELAN, JOHN LUSK, CO. DUBLIN
    ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS, 9TH BATT.

On the Web-site, highlight the name and you get the date of death.

Advertisement