Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Any idea how long it's taking to get smear test results?
    6 weeks tomorrow since i had it done.

6 - 8 weeks, but if there'd be something off you'd probably hear back sooner, at least I did. If it's not at your GP 8 weeks after, ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

LirW wrote: »
    6 - 8 weeks, but if there'd be something off you'd probably hear back sooner, at least I did. If it's not at your GP 8 weeks after, ring them.

Thanks for that x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Any idea how long it's taking to get smear test results?
    6 weeks tomorrow since i had it done.

I checked my smear due date online and it had been updated a few weeks before I got the letter. Maybe try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I checked my smear due date online and it had been updated a few weeks before I got the letter. Maybe try that.

I actually just done that and it says next one isn't due until 2021 so i presume all is good then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

....... wrote: »
    Were the results available online?

No, but the date for which I could schedule my next smear was dated 2019, which told me that it was all clear.

Mine only updated today and it's 6 weeks today since i was tested

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

I got a test over 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard back from them, theyre taking a very long time. Ring in he next week or two if you dont hear anything.

I got a test over 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard back from them, theyre taking a very long time. Ring in he next week or two if you dont hear anything.

They’re probably double and triple checking everything with the scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

sullivlo wrote: »
    They’re probably double and triple checking everything with the scandal.

Id imagine so, they must have a large number of tests to get through also.

Got my results in the post today - 6 and a half weeks altogether so not too bad

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm sure that could be anything from 'borderline' to 'abnormal' to something else. I've had borderline ones several times and it usually means getting another smear in 6 months time and continuing to do so every 6 months until you get either a clear one or two clear ones in a row (I can't remember which, it was a fair few years ago). It doesn't definitely mean bad news so try not to worry until you have something to worry about - hopefully you can get through to your GP today. Best of luck.

So - I guess Im getting bad news.

The online message has changed from "check back in 10 days" to "Your next screening date is not available online, contact the medical professional you had your last test with" (or something along those lines).

My friend had abnormal smears for about 3 years. It was only when we were discussing it whilst drunk that she questioned whether she should be having sex the night before her smear... her next one she held off doing the horizontal samba and it came back all clear.

They now screen all samples for HPV, and any HPV+ patients go for a routine colposcopy.

It could be something. It could be nothing. Best to follow up with your GP when you get a chance.

I know it’s easier said than done though. I spent last weekend in a state of panic after my boobs sprung a leak!! (A significant amount of liquid seeped thru my top, leaving a lovely stain) I had to patiently wait until Monday morning to contact my GP. Try not to worry.

Really, I have to say if it comes back "bad" it usually sounds worse than it is. You're referred and well looked after, the worst case for almost every lady is a Lletz treatment and while it's not nice the very most are fine after it. You'll be fine too. An abnormal smear usually means that you'll be looked after long before it can get really really bad. And always ask for some numbing if they have to take a biopsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Hey i had to have a private smear test and i just got a call saying i’ll have my results in 10 days... my nurse told me 8 weeks... should I be worried?

• Advertisement

Hey i had to have a private smear test and i just got a call saying i’ll have my results in 10 days... my nurse told me 8 weeks... should I be worried?

Nobody can answer that unfortunately.

However if you went to a normal practice and got a smear done, the nurse may be used to doing them on the screening program where the results do take 10 weeks. Whereas with going private, results tend to be much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

I had the Lletz done back in February and they said I have to get another smear done in 6 months so I was expecting an appointment in the post by now as August will be 6 months, however someone said to me that I have to make the app myself with my gp, can anyone confirm this?

I had the Lletz done back in February and they said I have to get another smear done in 6 months so I was expecting an appointment in the post by now as August will be 6 months, however someone said to me that I have to make the app myself with my gp, can anyone confirm this?

In the hospital they told me I'll get a letter but I'm not due for another 2 months or so. You'd have to go back to hospital for it, I'd just ring the colposcopy department where you got the treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

LirW wrote: »
    In the hospital they told me I'll get a letter but I'm not due for another 2 months or so. You'd have to go back to hospital for it, I'd just ring the colposcopy department where you got the treatment.

Ah thank you I will call them in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

As a result of this thread, I’ve checked for the date of my next smear test, as I had a smear in mid June, but no results yet. The first few times I checked, it said I was due my next smear, so I presume that meant the system didn’t have a record of my results yet, I checked it just now and it says:

Your next screening test date is not available yet
    CervicalCheck is waiting to update your record following your recent submission of information.
    Your next screening test date will then be available.
    Please check again in 10 days time.

Anyone ever seen this one? I presume they’ve got the results and they need to be uploaded or something? Otherwise it’d either say my next smear is due 3 years from now, or to contact my GP. Bit nerve wracking though.

I had a private one done just over a year ago, which was fine, and also negative for HPV, so I’m hoping it’s ok.

Did you have the message re “recent submission of information” etc? What did it change to after that? I’m kinda nervous now! Rang my gp today, and they’ve received nothing yet. Secretary told me it’s taking longer than 8 weeks these days.

Have you had your colposcopy yet?

• Advertisement

No - I only got the smear results about 3 weeks ago and the GP sent in the referral, got the letter last week with the appointment for September.

I still dont really know what the smear results are given Ive had conflicting information verbally from my GP and in the colposcopy appt letter.

I am inclined to go with what my GP said as the colposcopy letter was from a template.

Advertisement