Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If it's something that's not regular for you and it is concerning you then that warrants a trip to a doctor in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering has anyone experienced regular spotting in between periods?. I've been tracking my periods / symptoms over the past few months as we are trying to conceive and have noticed I get slightly dark bloody mucus followed by pale pink discharge exactly 7 days before my period begins. Only noticeable when I wipe. Sorry for TMI!.Its not every month but the majority of them and nearly always at the same time - 1 week before period due. Periods are pretty much bang on give or take a day and have an average of 29 day cycle. Is the spotting something I should be concerned about or get checked out?
    We are in the same boat. I have the very same, exactly a week before my period. I havent worried too much about it because it was normal for me but as far as i can remember it only started after id had a baby. She is almost 3 now and really can't remember it happening before she came along). Trying for a baby now and starting to think its something I ought to get checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Hey, anyone else got a cervical polyp removed? GP noticed it during the smear and referred me. Just wondering what is involved in removal.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The procedure is pretty much the same when you have abnormal cells removed.
    It's not the nicest treatment but you'll get over it, it takes around 20 minutes, local anesthetic, it's noisy and not the most comfortable thing you'll do. You can go home after it, have painkillers and sanitary towels ready, you'll have spotting for 4-6 weeks. Might be a good idea to take the day off.
    Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

LirW wrote: »
    The procedure is pretty much the same when you have abnormal cells removed.
    It's not the nicest treatment but you'll get over it, it takes around 20 minutes, local anesthetic, it's noisy and not the most comfortable thing you'll do. You can go home after it, have painkillers and sanitary towels ready, you'll have spotting for 4-6 weeks. Might be a good idea to take the day off.
    Good luck with it!

Thanks. Not sure your post has made me feel better about it :) I wasn't expecting to hear it described as noisy.

• Advertisement

eire1 wrote: »
    Thanks. Not sure your post has made me feel better about it :) I wasn't expecting to hear it described as noisy.

I really don't wanna be a downer, I had cells removed recently and I'm usually pretty chill about anything medical but I found that not very nice. The noise comes from a tube that sucks off the dead tissue. I'm not sure if that's used with polyps but afaik when they can't find the base of it they just extract a tiny bit of the cervix too.
    But to be honest, the 6 weeks no sex after it are the worst part about it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Hi just looking for some advice. I had a smear test about 3 years ago, the results came back as abnormal cells but no HPV virus. Ive had no checks since and have been to see my doctor a handful of times since for different reasons but smear test was never mentioned. Over the last 4 years ive had irregular periods. They stopped for about 7 months 4 years ago and since then I occasionally miss the odd month or two (im not sexually active). When I went to my doctor about this 4 years ago and I was put on a waiting list to see a gynaecologist. The waiting list was 2.5 years long, in this time my period came back, I moved away for 6 months - during the time id moved away I had been sent a letter (which I didnt know about) explaining I had to reply to them within a certain time frame and if I didnt id be removed from the waiting list. I missed the letter, once I got back my periods returned and I didnt bother trying to make another appointment.
    Now with the recent scandal about cervical cancer being wrongly diagnosed in women im concerned that I may have something? I dont like my doctor, shes rude and cant get me out of her office quick enough. I cant change doctor as im on medical card and cant afford health care. Ive literally got 8 euro to last me until Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

Hi just looking for some advice. I had a smear test about 3 years ago, the results came back as abnormal cells but no HPV virus. Ive had no checks since and have been to see my doctor a handful of times since for different reasons but smear test was never mentioned. Over the last 4 years ive had irregular periods. They stopped for about 7 months 4 years ago and since then I occasionally miss the odd month or two (im not sexually active). When I went to my doctor about this 4 years ago and I was put on a waiting list to see a gynaecologist. The waiting list was 2.5 years long, in this time my period came back, I moved away for 6 months - during the time id moved away I had been sent a letter (which I didnt know about) explaining I had to reply to them within a certain time frame and if I didnt id be removed from the waiting list. I missed the letter, once I got back my periods returned and I didnt bother trying to make another appointment.
    Now with the recent scandal about cervical cancer being wrongly diagnosed in women im concerned that I may have something? I dont like my doctor, shes rude and cant get me out of her office quick enough. I cant change doctor as im on medical card and cant afford health care. Ive literally got 8 euro to last me until Thursday.

Apparently the state will pay for you to get seen by someone, according to Simon Harris, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

If you had your last smear three years ago, you can go get another now (unless you're older than 49). Regardless as the above poster said, you should be able to go to your GP and get a smear test done.

Down the road, there's nothing stopping you changing your medical card over to another doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

I know everyone is different but just wondering how long it took ye to get your period back after quitting the combination pill (not including the immediate, usual 'break week')

• Advertisement

duvetdayss wrote: »
    I know everyone is different but just wondering how long it took ye to get your period back after quitting the combination pill (not including the immediate, usual 'break week')

Two years...I got pregnant immediately...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

Two years between quitting and ovulating? Wow. I'm seven weeks in and getting impatient, not trying to get pregnant but want to know that everything is back to normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Mod

You are not this posters mother. Please don't be so confrontational on thread.

....... wrote: »

Mod

What we can do though is not make this an uncomfortable place for women to ask questions. You gave sound advice 6 months ago and she didn't take it. You don't need to know any more than that.

We can continue this in PM from here if you wish but we won't be derailing this thread any further from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there a nurse or other doctors are your clinic, book in asap for a test and good luck

duvetdayss wrote: »

Two years between quitting and ovulating? Wow. I'm seven weeks in and getting impatient, not trying to get pregnant but want to know that everything is back to normal

I got pregnant before I had a bleed, and didn’t have periods while I was pregnant and breastfeeding...obviously I bled after giving birth. If you’re sexually active I’d recommend being careful and possibly getting a pregnancy test. Not that this couldn’t be normal for you but I thought that I just hadn’t gotten my period, turned out I was pregnant. If you’re not wanting to be pregnant it’s in your best interest to find out ASAP...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Kitkat1995

Hi, I have been on the pill for about two years and recently came off it. I came off the pill halfway through the 3rd week on it so got a breakthrough bleed. I then got an actual period about a month later and i'm now waiting on my second period and its about 14 days left. I've taken about 3 pregnancy tests and not pregnant :( just wondering what else it could be causing the delay in my period ?

Kitkat1995 wrote: »
    Hi, I have been on the pill for about two years and recently came off it. I came off the pill halfway through the 3rd week on it so got a breakthrough bleed. I then got an actual period about a month later and i'm now waiting on my second period and its about 14 days left. I've taken about 3 pregnancy tests and not pregnant :( just wondering what else it could be causing the delay in my period ?

When you come off the pill your hormone levels are a mess and for many it takes a couple of months until a proper cycle establishes. Unfortunately you're probably one of them and will have a bit of a head melting time ahead of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Kitkat1995

Thanks for the reply and yes my poor head is going to be all over the place waiting for it to come I think :(

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I'm twenty five and this morning received my first cervical check letter inviting me for a smear test, It was very unexpected.. Just curious am I the only one that found this quite scary.. I understand the idea of cervical check is just to detect changes, but its extremely scary especially hearing such sad & negative stories involving cervical check over the last year, of course it’s going to be the first thing you think of

I'm twenty five and this morning received my first cervical check letter inviting me for a smear test, It was very unexpected.. Just curious am I the only one that found this quite scary.. I understand the idea of cervical check is just to detect changes, but its extremely scary especially hearing such sad & negative stories involving cervical check over the last year, of course it’s going to be the first thing you think of

It still is so important to go. Of course the news are really sad but especially now the chances that something will go wrong are marginal. It just all came out a few days after I had my Lletz treatment and it was a strange feeling but then I thought, well they called me in, I had treatment, how high are the chances that something will be missed then? I totally understand that trust is broken but I'd still go, it is so so so important to attend to the smear tests.
    Back home I had an annual smear since I was 14 or so, everyone does. It'll be all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Every woman gets this letter when they turn 25. I was very nervous getting it done first time (more about the procedure than the results) but it's grand. Takes a few minutes. Do get it done. What happened recently was awful but surely they are being extra vigilant with checking the samples because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Ladies, im 27 I’m currently waiting on my medical card to come back to go to the doctor should be here any day but I was wondering if anyone might have had similar case.

I’ve noticed in the last 6months my period has started lasting longer than usual it went from a good 5 days up to nearly all month long! I’m not bleeding like normal though it’s all very dark brown/black! I might get a couple of days of nothing and then straight back into a light black/brown bleeding that’s never heavy but constant.

I’ve never been on any medication or the pill. I’ve done googling but I’ve frightened the life out of myself!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Hi Ladies, im 27 I’m currently waiting on my medical card to come back to go to the doctor should be here any day but I was wondering if anyone might have had similar case.

I’ve noticed in the last 6months my period has started lasting longer than usual it went from a good 5 days up to nearly all month long! I’m not bleeding like normal though it’s all very dark brown/black! I might get a couple of days of nothing and then straight back into a light black/brown bleeding that’s never heavy but constant.

I’ve never been on any medication or the pill. I’ve done googling but I’ve frightened the life out of myself!!!
    We can't offer medical advice here, sorry. Best to get checked out at the doctors if its something that's concerning you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 colly15

Hi All, just looking for some advice, I advised my doctor last july about changes in my cycle. smear came back normal but I requested a repeat smear this year which came back abnormal. I had a lletz procedure done just over a week ago. Bleeding has gone through different stages of colour, I am so tired ever since the procedure. Is this normal

thanks
    C

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Mod

We can’t offer medical advice, so if you’re concerned, please see your doctor.

Experiences allowed, but no suggestions of what might be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Any idea how long it's taking to get smear test results?
    6 weeks tomorrow since i had it done.

Advertisement