Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Ah thank you I will call them in the morning

Rang the clinic and I do have an appointment they said they sent me a letter back in March with details, hmm pretty sure if I got a letter I wouldn't be ringing you now :confused: anyway all sorted now thankfully my repeat smear will be all clear, I'd say with the recent revelations they're a bit inundated and possibly forgot to send my letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

....... wrote: »

I am inclined to go with what my GP said as the colposcopy letter was from a template.

Sounds right. They probably have that text in all colposcopy letters.

I rang the Cervical Check line, and the woman I spoke to said that the messsge just means what it says, that my slide has been tested, but due to the current backlog, the results haven’t been uploaded to their system yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had a routine smear test carried out in May and finally got the results today. The letter says that my result shows an abnormality that needs further investigation and I've been referred to a coloscopy clinic in Tallaght hospital.
    Anyone been referred there lately and know how long it takes before getting an appointment?

Also, my results letter doesn't mention what kind of abnormality was found. If I call my GP where the smear was performed will they be able to give me further info about it?

All my smears until now have been normal so I'm a bit freaked out :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

It's just over 8 weeks now that I'm waiting for my smear results. I've been checking online too, but no change there. I was told it would take 6 weeks, but I'm gathering from on here 8 weeks+ isn't actually usual atm? Wondering at what point I should chase them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I got my smear results exactly 2 months after my smear. Smear on 8th June and letter with results dated 8th August.

• Advertisement

The online message has changed from check back in 10 days to:

"CervicalCheck has received notification of your recent cervical screening test and is awaiting your result."

At least I know the result is on the way, but just want to know at this stage :/ Any idea if this implies good or bad news? I thought if it was good news, it would just update to saying that my next smear was due in 3 years? Anyone else see this message before?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

woodchuck wrote: »
    The online message has changed from check back in 10 days to:

"CervicalCheck has received notification of your recent cervical screening test and is awaiting your result."

At least I know the result is on the way, but just want to know at this stage :/ Any idea if this implies good or bad news? I thought if it was good news, it would just update to saying that my next smear was due in 3 years? Anyone else see this message before?

I just saw that message now too and came here looking to see if anyone else had got it, I hope its just new wording but it has me worried, I know someone who had normal results and the message went straight from check back in 10 days to their new smear date in 3 years.

I rang the centre where I got the smear done and they haven't heard anything back yet. Just have to wait and see I think... hopefully not for much longer...

They might just have reworded the last message so it's clearer, that's what I'm telling myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

I just saw that same message on mine too. Maybe they made the message clearer alright - they might have received calls about the other one! I rang them about the ‘check back in 10 days’ one, and was told that it just means what it said.

• Advertisement

Hmm if there's a few of us, maybe they've just updated the wording of the standard message so....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fridayfun

Hmm if there's a few of us, maybe they've just updated the wording of the standard message so....

Mine changed also, the wording changed from check back in ten days to what you said. It changed yesterday. Was very anxious when I saw this. But when I rang the doctors today, the secretary said my results weren't back and that they were only getting to tests that were done in May now. I had my smear on June 12th so she said it would be another month before I hear back. Anyone else hear anything from their doctors? The worry is always there until I hear back especially when the wording of my result changed online.

Anyone any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Hi sorry if this post is TMI, im just wondering if anyone else here has a similar issue and if anyone has any tips or advice?
    I get really bad PMS, for 2 full weeks until the day I get my period im an absolute mess, im angry, depressed, suicidal thoughts, I get insomnia and snap at everyone. Im not an angry person but around this time of the month I turn into a different person and everybody notices it. I had a very embarrassing incident this week were I got into a fight with my brother and I got so angry and upset I was screaming and cursing at him, this was in the car in the middle of town and people were looking, it wasnt even over anything serious I just completely lost my head. All week I was very depressed and this only added to it because I felt so guilty. I can also be very short and snappy with friends, relatives and strangers, basically anyone who talks to me. I try to control it but I really feel its hormonal. Ive always had bad PMS and people around me always know when its my time of the month as theres such a change in me but as ive gotten older the PMS is getting worse and its effecting my relationships. Is there anything I can do? I find my GP a bit useless, her response to everything is anti depressants and after a few bad experiences with different medications its not a road I want to go down again. Can anyone give tips or advice?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Are you on any contraceptives? They can have an impact on PMS. Some make it better, some might exacerbate it.

The conventional wisdom was always to take evening primrose oil and vitamin B6. I’m not sure I found there’s any actually scientific evidence behind them though. But in any case, I’d strongly recommend going to see a different GP, or going to the Well Woman Clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sweirdo

It sounds like you're not on any hormonal contraceptives atm.
    Maybe go to an endocrinologist (the one that checks your hormones) and see if it is actually a hormonal issue, if that's an option for you. Otherwise I'd say if you are on hormonal BC try going without it and if not, maybe try getting the pill? There are quite a few that usually help with mood swings and PMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Hi thanks for the responses. Im not on the pill, I had been on microlite for a few years and although it was great it didnt do anything for my mood swings. I was also on Dianette for a couple of months but everytime I had the week break from it I became very depressed, nothing like ive ever experienced before. I'll take your advice and have hormones checked. Thanks again.

Fridayfun wrote: »
    Anyone any updates?

I just checked online again and it has a date for 3 years from now. Assume it's all normal so, happy days :)

I guess they just updated their standard text then. Makes sense, since they were telling everyone to check back in 10 days and they couldn't actually commit to the 10 days.

I just checked online again and it has a date for 3 years from now. Assume it's all normal so, happy days :)

I guess they just updated their standard text then. Makes sense, since they were telling everyone to check back in 10 days and they couldn't actually commit to the 10 days.

Thanks for that, Woodchuck. There's no update with mine yet but fingers crossed all will be okay. When did you get your smear test done?

Fridayfun wrote: »
    Thanks for that, Woodchuck. There's no update with mine yet but fingers crossed all will be okay. When did you get your smear test done?

I got mine done on 18th June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 sweirdo

Hi thanks for the responses. Im not on the pill, I had been on microlite for a few years and although it was great it didnt do anything for my mood swings. I was also on Dianette for a couple of months but everytime I had the week break from it I became very depressed, nothing like ive ever experienced before. I'll take your advice and have hormones checked. Thanks again.

I don't know which hormones are in those two pills, but there are also different kinds of pills with different hormones. But I'd say getting it checked would be the best option for you, before you experiment with artificial hormones.

You must be so relieved :) If you don't mind me asking, was your smear test due or did you take the early one that was offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Your symptoms sound extreme to me. Maybe you should ask your a more proactive GP?
    I used to get very upset and suffer terrible with cramps, but just taking evening primrose oil has eased my symptoms considerably.
    I think I'd be looking for a professionals opinion if I was you.

skintiam wrote: »
    You must be so relieved :) If you don't mind me asking, was your smear test due or did you take the early one that was offered?

I wasn't due for another year, but I didn't specifically request an early test. During a routine pill check I mentioned that I sometimes get postcoital bleeding. So they recommended I get a smear and a swab. Results of the swab were all clear after a few days, but have been on tender hooks for the past 10 weeks about the smear :rolleyes:

They did say that the postcoital bleeding could just be the pill making my cervix more sensitive (but naturally wanted to rule other things out). I've been more liberal with the lubricant lately, which is helping a bit. But wondering if I should try a different pill :/ I don't like the idea of messing around with my hormones any more than I already am. There was also talk of going to a gynecologist... they seemed a little surprised that I didn't already have one... but do women generally have these?! :confused:

Sorry if tmi btw :o

I wasn't due for another year, but I didn't specifically request an early test. During a routine pill check I mentioned that I sometimes get postcoital bleeding. So they recommended I get a smear and a swab. Results of the swab were all clear after a few days, but have been on tender hooks for the past 10 weeks about the smear :rolleyes:

They did say that the postcoital bleeding could just be the pill making my cervix more sensitive (but naturally wanted to rule other things out). I've been more liberal with the lubricant lately, which is helping a bit. But wondering if I should try a different pill :/ I don't like the idea of messing around with my hormones any more than I already am. There was also talk of going to a gynecologist... they seemed a little surprised that I didn't already have one... but do women generally have these?! :confused:

There wouldn't be any reason to have your own gynecologist unless you've had reason to see one before. I know what you mean about being cautious about changing pills, my own doctor suggested coming off it altogether and I really don't want to , I did before and my hormones were all over the place. If they do suggest seeing a gynecologist you should definately go, if nothing else it will put your mind at rest.

I wasn't due my next smear for another 2 years but because Ive had abnormal ones before I requested an early one, it'll be 12 weeks this week, I hope the sample they take doesn't go out of date, it's hard enough going once.

I had a cervical erosion about 10 years ago (basically really sensitive cells around my cervix that were getting bumped during sex and essentially rupturing, causing post-coital bleeding). It needed treatment by a gynaecologist, and it was suggested that the hormones in the pill I was on could have contributed to it, so I changed brands.

Faith wrote: »
    I had a cervical erosion about 10 years ago (basically really sensitive cells around my cervix that were getting bumped during sex and essentially rupturing, causing post-coital bleeding). It needed treatment by a gynaecologist, and it was suggested that the hormones in the pill I was on could have contributed to it, so I changed brands.

Do you mind me asking what the treatment involved?

Do you mind me asking what the treatment involved?

It was cryotherapy - basically the cells were frozen. It was over quite quickly and was more like a prolonged smear test than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I checked online 2 days ago, it said next smear due in three years. Today a letter landed telling me to get in touch with my doctor for the results. I’m absolutely bricking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just looking for advice from anyone who has had LLETZ treatment.
    I'm due to go for a colposcopy soon (routine smear test showed a low grade abnormality and tested positive for high risk HPV). I'm sort of assuming the worst and that I'll need LLETZ treatment. I've heard that sometimes they do the colposcopy and treatment all in the same day.
    I'm wondering if anyone who has had LLETZ treatment could tell me what the side effects were after the treatment and how long they lasted?
    The reason I am asking is that I am due to be taking part in a sporting event that is really important to me 4 days after my appointment. If I'm going to be bleeding heavily but can't wear a mooncup/tampon then I'm going to be in a spot of bother :(
    Also how were your energy levels/general feelings of wellbeing in the days following the treatment?

Any advice much appreciated. I really really don't want to have to drop out of my event. I'm crying even thinking about the whole thing.

Advertisement