Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

zzxx wrote: »
    Cerazette was a disaster for me and since I got Mirena I haven't had a single issue. Took me a while to psych myself up to get it but would give it a shot if I was you. It does seem pricey upfront but it lasts 3 years.

5 years.

But if it doesnt agree with you its a massive outlay to then have it removed shortly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Hey ladies, booked in for mirena removal next week and slightly unnerved that the receptionist said it's a double appointment as removal can take awhile D: now I'm no wimp but I don't fancy too much digging around in my cervix.
    Anyone have experience with this? Hoping majority is that it was one swift tug and done!!
    We are planning on trying for a baby, I've heard the mirena is the best for not mucking up your hormones too much, would appreciate any personal experiences with trying to conseive after mirena, how long etc.
    Thanks in advance!
    I had my Mirena taken out in a hospital procedure, as advised by the clinic there. When I had my last copper removed they did it in the Dr surgery. Assuming the copper is the same to remove as the Mirena because the insertion is the same, it wasn't fun by any means but it didn't take that long, b/c the Dr was well woman trained it was less than 20 mins and a single tug and pull. It was trying having ppl irritate my cervix like that but yoga breathing and a lot of homicidal thoughts got me through it. Its can be uncomfortable and unpleasant, I found tho best not to think about it and make it just one of the things to be done that day.

Good Luck!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Does any one have any experience of visiting a gynaecologist for post-coital bleeding? (or of visiting a gynaecologist at all!)

I have an appointment this week (swab and smear by GP both previously came back clear) and I'm starting to get nervous about what to expect. If anyone is willing to share their experience about type of questions that were asked and/or the sort of physical examinations that are involved, I'd really appreciate it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

woodchuck wrote: »
    Does any one have any experience of visiting a gynaecologist for post-coital bleeding? (or of visiting a gynaecologist at all!)

I have an appointment this week (swab and smear by GP both previously came back clear) and I'm starting to get nervous about what to expect. If anyone is willing to share their experience about type of questions that were asked and/or the sort of physical examinations that are involved, I'd really appreciate it.

I did, albeit about 10 years ago now. I had a cervical erosion that was pretty much diagnosed by my GP but I was referred on to a gynaecologist for proper assessment and treatment. The first visit was just an exam, like a smear. The second was the treatment, which was cryotherapy (basically the problematic cells were frozen off).

I don't remember there being anything out of the ordinary, but if you have specific questions or concerns, feel free to ask (by PM, if you prefer some privacy!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Bredabe wrote: »
    I had my Mirena taken out in a hospital procedure, as advised by the clinic there. When I had my last copper removed they did it in the Dr surgery. Assuming the copper is the same to remove as the Mirena because the insertion is the same, it wasn't fun by any means but it didn't take that long, b/c the Dr was well woman trained it was less than 20 mins and a single tug and pull. It was trying having ppl irritate my cervix like that but yoga breathing and a lot of homicidal thoughts got me through it. Its can be uncomfortable and unpleasant, I found tho best not to think about it and make it just one of the things to be done that day.

Good Luck!

Thank you! It was removed really quickly and she showed it to me like it was my new born child :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I have an appointment for Kyleena insertion next Monday. Just looking for any tips or warnings anyone might have?

Faith wrote: »
    I did, albeit about 10 years ago now. I had a cervical erosion that was pretty much diagnosed by my GP but I was referred on to a gynaecologist for proper assessment and treatment. The first visit was just an exam, like a smear. The second was the treatment, which was cryotherapy (basically the problematic cells were frozen off).

I don't remember there being anything out of the ordinary, but if you have specific questions or concerns, feel free to ask (by PM, if you prefer some privacy!).

Thanks a mill :) Yeah I'm excepting a speculum to get whipped out anyway :(

I'm hoping I won't get the Spanish inquisition about my sexual activities though :eek:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have an appointment for Kyleena insertion next Monday. Just looking for any tips or warnings anyone might have?

Ibuprofen before the fitting, don't plan much for afterwards. I felt a bit more comfortable wearing a dress for it too - not quite as exposed and not constricting around the stomach.

I'm hoping I won't get the Spanish inquisition about my sexual activities though :eek:

I really don’t think I was asked anything that you wouldn’t be at a standard STI screening/gynae appointment. I recently saw a gynaecologist about chronic thrush and there was a standard battery of questions, including about number of sexual partners (in a certain time frame, maybe?), last time having sex, whether I had unprotected sex, intravenous drug use and maybe whether I’d had sex with a man who’d had sex with another man. You can probably expect some questions about what triggers the bleeding too.

My gynaecologist in the cervical erosion case remembered delivering me, so that was an odd experience :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Hi girls, long time lurker but first time poster!

Just wondering if anyone has had the copper coil inserted on the medical card? I know it covers the hormonal ones, not sure about the copper.

Thanks in advance X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 sweirdo

Hi girls, long time lurker but first time poster!

Just wondering if anyone has had the copper coil inserted on the medical card? I know it covers the hormonal ones, not sure about the copper.

Thanks in advance X

I don't have an answer for you, but I got the copper coil back in Germany, so any information on where and how to get an appointment to get it replaced over here would be helpful. It's still a few years for me, but better to know than not to know.

I bled during my last smear and she then asked me if I bleed after intercourse. I have done very infrequently, but itd be pretty unnoticable amongst the fluids that come out when I go to the loo after sex. She never asked anything about the type of intercourse I have.

She then sent me into the Coombe to be looked at using camera and dye - yer women didnt ask me anything at all re intercourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭Bredabe

sweirdo wrote: »
    I don't have an answer for you, but I got the copper coil back in Germany, so any information on where and how to get an appointment to get it replaced over here would be helpful. It's still a few years for me, but better to know than not to know.

Some Gp's will put it in for you, but my 1st port of call for such things are the well woman/ifpa websites, they can put it in either afaik but they have all the info on there or if you call them.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

My Doc is after referring me to Hollis St for fitting of the copper coil as she doesn't fit it, she only does the marina.
    I have my prescription for the device which she said should cost around €35. Does anyone know how much they charge in Holles st for the fitting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just a point on the cost of the Mirena. Mine was covered under the DPS scheme. I couldn't get a second one as I had some grapefruit sized fibroids (go me!).

I have since had the Uterine arterial embolisation procedure and that has put an end to the nonsense. If anyone has any queries re the embolisation to deal with menorrhagia, please PM.

Recently I have been sleeping very deeply. So deeply in fact that I find when the alarm goes off in the morning I wake up and realise immediately I am bursting to use the loo. This doesnt seem to happen so much in the summer, I think its part of winter time causing me to snuggle right in and stay cosy. I always sleep better in wintertime.

However, its actually gotten so bad that last week I gave myself a sore bladder for about 3 days from waking up one morning bursting to go. When i say a sore bladder, I had the sensation of needing to go for about 3 days after I woke up bursting. When i went there was no "sting" or pain passing water. Nor did I have any other symptoms I would associate with cystitis, I was as strong as ever in the gym (which is where I would usually notice an illness even before other symptoms), and my urine wasnt cloudy or unusual.

I just had the sensation of a sore achey bladder. I took anti inflammatories for a day or two and that settled it down a lot. Then it just cleared up by itself. Bizarrely drinking loads of water to flush it out seems to make it more irritated whereas just drinking a normal amount seems to let it settle a bit.

This morning, same thing, woke up bursting to go. Not as bad as last week and I am not sore now - but a close call.

How can I stop this from happening? During the summer I seem to naturally wake up to use the loo during the night from time to time. But in winter I just go comatose.

I might add that I dont drink a lot of fluid before bed specifically.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This may not be of any help to you but I find if I drink a lot of water it tends to go straight through me whereas if I drink the same amount of liquid but of green tea or peppermint tea, it's less likely I will be needing a pee right away. Maybe try a change in your drinking habits? Less near bedtime (I know you said you don't drink much before bed but try not at all other than a few sips after a certain time).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Mod

Experiences can be shared but not any medical advice.

If the symptoms persist it may be worth a trip to the doctor.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Mod

Experiences can be shared but not any medical advice.

If the symptoms persist it may be worth a trip to the doctor.

Oh Im not looking for medical advice at all, Ive seen a doc for it in the past - it does tend to happen me in winter from time to time. Last year they went into a full investigation with a camera in the bladder etc..

There is nothing the medical community can do for me - the consultant says that its simply from holding too long because Im deeply asleep. In fact, some people have the opposite problem in that they dont hold it in sleep and wet the bed. But I seem to be a holder.

The doc simply recommends emptying bladder fully before bed, but as explained - thats not working all the time for me.

If anyone has any ideas for me to wake up and use the loo during the night - without setting an alarm clock and thoroughly waking myself up, Id be glad to hear them.

Last night it was on my mind and I woke up to use the loo around midnight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

My GP surgery has a sleep therapist. She deal with sleep issues. Could something like that help?

If it’s winter time that it happens in, it could be something to do with your circadian rhythm, which usually works off light. When we have less light, our body does strange things. It’s the premise of SAD. Could something like a light box help? Sit in front of it for a while, your body might not require as much sleep? Or as deep a sleep?

• Advertisement

My GP surgery has a sleep therapist. She deal with sleep issues. Could something like that help?

If it’s winter time that it happens in, it could be something to do with your circadian rhythm, which usually works off light. When we have less light, our body does strange things. It’s the premise of SAD. Could something like a light box help? Sit in front of it for a while, your body might not require as much sleep? Or as deep a sleep?

Already tried a light box. No difference.

I actually feel very lucky that I sleep so deeply generally because I really wake up refreshed. I fall asleep so easily.

Although I have worried before that I can find it very very difficult to wake up sometimes. If I dont have to get up for an alarm, for work or whatever, I will just continue to drift in and out of sleep for an alarmingly long time - I will even have lucid moments where I tell myself to get up but then I drift off again. Its different when the alarm goes off, I just roll over and get up.

When I oversleep I feel awful, headachey and out of sorts. So I usually try to force myself out of bed even if I have nothing to get up for.

The same thing can happen when I oversleep wrt to needing to use the loo - I will have lucid thoughts where I am thinking "I need to get up to pee" but then my body just drifts back to sleep and I dont get up.

Once I get out of bed Im fine. Im usually in great form in the mornings, Im not a bad morning person or anything. And its not difficult to wake me by speaking to me or shaking my shoulder or anything.

Its just I feel like Im SO deeply asleep that its like getting dragged up out of a deep pit and I give up and go back asleep unless I have to get up.

Could you consider a sleep cycle analysis?

Could you consider a sleep cycle analysis?

Yes, I have thought about it alright.

Its seems a bit mad to say that I am worried because I sleep so well though! Plus - cost. I generally avoid anything medical unless absolutely necessary because of cost.

I usually just put it down to having a busy life, long commute, busy job, long hours, gym, study etc..... that I am both mentally and physically tired come 9.30pm and I go to bed by 10pm, fall asleep immediately, sleep great and get up at 6am and off I go again.

I'm wondering how completely you empty your bladder? Have you tried peeing, and then just staying on the loo until a bit more comes out?

You're only sleeping for 8 hours, which seems like a reasonable amount of time to not need to wee, considering you aren't consuming any food or drinks during the night. So if you stop drinking a couple of hours before bed and completely empty your bladder before bed, you shouldn't make so much urine during the night that holding it in it problematic?

Faith wrote: »
    I'm wondering how completely you empty your bladder? Have you tried peeing, and then just staying on the loo until a bit more comes out?

You're only sleeping for 8 hours, which seems like a reasonable amount of time to not need to wee, considering you aren't consuming any food or drinks during the night. So if you stop drinking a couple of hours before bed and completely empty your bladder before bed, you shouldn't make so much urine during the night that holding it in it problematic?

I double void when I pee as Ive had recurring cystitis in the past so its just ingrained in me.

Sometimes going to bed I use the loo, then I read a bit, then I get up and go again just before I go to sleep. But Id still often need to go during the night or be dying to go when I wake up.

Is that not normal? My husband goes around 3 times during the night and when I lived at home I heard other people use the loo during the night too.

I thought everyone did.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

So you pee, read, pee again and are still dying for the loo when you wake up? That seems like an awful lot, do you drink a huge amount of water during the day? I'd try cutting back a little on the water if so, not just in the evenings but in general.

I don't think everyone gets up every night during the night to use the loo but some do. I've been seeing an acupuncturist for a different issue but one of the things he asked about was whether I pee during the night. He maintained that I should be able to get a full night's sleep without getting up to the loo every night. I've cut back on how much water I was drinking (far too much according to him, I was drinking 2-3 litres a day) and replaced it with green tea/peppermint tea and less of anything in the evenings. The volume of what I am drinking is less than it used to be. While I still get up occasionally for a wee, it is the exception rather than the rule now and while I might need a pee in the morning, I am rarely dying to go as soon as I open my eyes.

miamee wrote: »
    So you pee, read, pee again and are still dying for the loo when you wake up? That seems like an awful lot, do you drink a huge amount of water during the day? I'd try cutting back a little on the water if so, not just in the evenings but in general.

I dont always pee twice, but even if I do, I tend to either go again during the night or need to go upon waking.

I try to drink enough water through the day that my urine is clear. I am actually very bad at drinking water in work because I hate having to go to the loo all day. A couple of years ago i felt quite tired a lot in work and my urine wasnt clear all the time so I spoke to my GP and she said "drink more water" so I upped my water intake to about 2 litres in work and I felt much better - but it made me pee a lot more!

These days i probably drink 2 (or less) litres a day, and probably 2 or 3 cups of tea. Add in an extra litre of water on gym days.

I guess about 2 hours before bed I would have at least a big glass of water plus a cup of tea after dinner.

I asked the urologist I saw last year about pee-ing during the night and he just shrugged and said everyone has their own normal and some people do go every night and some dont. A bit like some have a bigger bladder capacity in general. My own experience living with other people is quite limited though (family home, then alone, then married), so I just thought it was normal to go at least once at night.

I dont think Id ever have an 8 hour stretch without pee-ing. Daytime or nighttime!

....... wrote: »
    Is that not normal? My husband goes around 3 times during the night and when I lived at home I heard other people use the loo during the night too.

I thought everyone did.

I do anyway! I don't go every night during the night, but I do go a lot of nights. Less so in winter though... sometimes I wake up needing to go, but I'll just hold it because the thoughts of getting out of a warm bed don't bare thinking about! I just try to drink less in the hour or 2 before I go to bed these days.

I'm not sure how normal it is or not though. One of the girls in work is pregnant atm and she keeps saying how awful it is having to get up to pee every night (once a night)... everyone was very sympathetic, but that's my life and I'm not even pregnant :P

I'm not sure how normal it is or not though.

The urologist I saw said it was more important to notice a change in your own "normal" than compare to other peoples normal because its an individual thing.

Ive always been a nighttime pee-er - so Im not so much worried that I need to pee during the night, but I would love suggestions on how to actually force myself out of the bed to to so when Im cosy and warm and its cold out rather than wake up with a sore bladder from holding!

• Advertisement

Would you consider a sleep therapist?

You might also get a response in the sleeping/dreaming forum.

Advertisement