Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Betting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Nice to get a winner this early on in the season.

Louth should have won a lot more comfortably, were 6pts up at half-time and PP were offering Wicklow(+10) @4/5 at the break which showed Louth's complete dominance. They won by 4pts in the end.

Roscommon ended up winning by 2pts. Was very pleased with this result as a few players i thought would be playin weren't so they were a bit weak all over especially up front. They were 2pts down at half time as well so did will to win by the same margin.

Onwards and upwards from here hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Midleton CBS 12/1 to win Harty, might be worth a bet, as they have a very favourable draw and have probably the most talented hurler in the competition in Conor Lehane.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-hurling/harty-cup?ev_oc_grp_ids=405223

Didn't realise they're are McKenna cup games on tomorrow, might have a small punt on the following.

(1) Monaghan v Cavan @5/4
    Don't understand these odds at all, maybe i'm missing something. Both teams lost their previous match. Monaghan lost to the students of Queens college belfast and Cavan only lost narrowly to Derry. However, Monaghan kicked 16 wides and fielded a hugely inexperienced team. Meanwhile Derry should have beaten Cavan by a lot more, being 8pts up at one stage.

It's a risky bet but Monaghan have home advantage and need to win this game to progress to the next round of the McKenna cup, therefore I'm going to side with them for a narrow victory.

(2) Donegal v Fermanagh @3/10
    Not great odds on Donegal but I can only see this going one way so i suppose it's better than a 1/4 or 1/5 shot. Home advantage is a massive plus for donegal as it's rare that an away team goes to Ballybofey and gets a result, least of all Fermanagh who are poor by anyone's standards.

Donegal hopefully welcome back sharpshooter Mcfadden to the team to join the likes of Molloy who looks an excellent prospect. They comfortably beat UUJ with an experimental side and face a Fermanagh side who have yet to play a competitive match (although i understand they've played a few friendlies.

Sticking to small stakes this time of the season so going with..

€10 double to return €29.25

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

Sir Vival wrote: »
    Didn't realise they're are McKenna cup games on tomorrow, might have a small punt on the following.

(1) Monaghan v Cavan @5/4
    Don't understand these odds at all, maybe i'm missing something. Both teams lost their previous match. Monaghan lost to the students of Queens college belfast and Cavan only lost narrowly to Derry. However, Monaghan kicked 16 wides and fielded a hugely inexperienced team. Meanwhile Derry should have beaten Cavan by a lot more, being 8pts up at one stage.

It's a risky bet but Monaghan have home advantage and need to win this game to progress to the next round of the McKenna cup, therefore I'm going to side with them for a narrow victory.

(2) Donegal v Fermanagh @3/10
    Not great odds on Donegal but I can only see this going one way so i suppose it's better than a 1/4 or 1/5 shot. Home advantage is a massive plus for donegal as it's rare that an away team goes to Ballybofey and gets a result, least of all Fermanagh who are poor by anyone's standards.

Donegal hopefully welcome back sharpshooter Mcfadden to the team to join the likes of Molloy who looks an excellent prospect. They comfortably beat UUJ with an experimental side and face a Fermanagh side who have yet to play a competitive match (although i understand they've played a few friendlies.

Sticking to small stakes this time of the season so going with..

€10 double to return €29.25

ill possibly go with this aswell.in the cavan derry game,neither team scored much against the wind.i didnt get to the match so cant comment on how good or bad cavan were,but there is def value with monaghan.also cant see anything other than a donegal win.i might throw down in there aswell.

you going to do a log?you did very well during the club season.

you going to do a log?you did very well during the club season.

Plan to yes. Not until the national leagues start though which is in early february. Too many variants to be making big calls on games this time of year so i said i'd leave the log until the teams settle down a bit.

The bets these few weeks are just for fun mostly seeing if it's possible to make small sums of money consistently on pre-season tournaments effectively and mostly because i like writing my thoughts on games regardless of whether i'm right or wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Bumsex

hey sir vival,u prob remember me from last year.
    just would like to hear your thoughts on the following,

GAA Football Matches
    Tyrone v U.U.Jordanstown
    2011-01-19 19:30:00
    Match Betting
    Tyrone

GAA Football Matches
    Derry v Queens University Belfast
    Match Betting
    Derry

GAA Football Matches
    Armagh v St. Mary's Belfast
    Match Betting
    Armagh

pays out at just over even money,do you think there is anything i should add or take away.?
    what are your take on these type of games this time of year.?
    thoughts are always appreciated.

Bumsex wrote: »

pays out at just over even money,do you think there is anything i should add or take away.?

Firstly, I wouldn't be so attracted to an even-money treble. Successfully calling 3 games this time of year is difficult no matter what the quality difference between the teams is.

I'll briefly go through each game.

(1) Tyrone v UUJ. I wouldn't have any concerns about Tyrone here. They've named a very strong team and i'm sure will want to put in a big performance after the recent catastrophe. They'll have aspirations to go on and win this Mckenna cup i feel and with players like the two Cavanaghs, Penrose, O'neill, Mcguigan and McMenamin all playing tonight i see nothing but a fairly comfortable victory. UUJ were poor against Donegal and can only hope for a better performance tonight to boost their confidence for the sigerson.

(2) Derry v Queens. I'm not too sure about this game to be honest. I don't think Derry have named their team yet so I couldn't even try to predict this one. All I know is they'll have to be fairly strong to beat this Queens team which contains a lot of young county players be it u-21 or senior from the northern counties. Queens beat Monaghan by 4pts last week so they'll have no fear of performing against established county teams (even though Monaghan had a poor team out). I did hear, though that Derry performed pretty well in their 2pt victory over cavan with Paddy Bradley starting the year nicely. Bottom line thought, I'd want more than the 4/11 PP are offering in a game which i think will be tight. 1 or 2pt victory either way.

(3) Armagh v St. Mary's. I know absolutely nothing about Mary's but seeing as they got thrashed by a fairly inexperienced Antrim team, I guess they're fairly weak. Armagh put up a big score against Down (2-15) last week so against much weaker opponents tonight, they should do something similar. Armagh by 5pts+

Best of luck with whatever you go for.

GAA Football Matches
    Tyrone v U.U.Jordanstown
    Match Betting
    Tyrone

GAA Football Matches
    Derry v Queens University Belfast
    Match Betting
    Derry

GAA Football Matches
    Armagh v St. Mary's Belfast
    Match Betting
    Armagh

heres my 2 cents whether you want it or not ;)

Tyrone v UUJ. basically what sirvival said,tyrone wont lose this unless something goes very wrong.

derry v queens.this will be quite tight id say,a few points either way,i really couldnt call a winner.i really dont think there is any value in derry.id swap this bet with down,better odds and put it up to a decent armagh team.

Armagh v St. Mary's Belfast.paddy o rourke is under alot of pressure and will be looking to get the year off to a good start.dont know much about st marys,but there not too many names on it that id recognise.

All the following games have been called off (frozen pitches :mad:)

Tyrone v UUJ
    Armagh v St.Marys
    Monaghan v Cavan
    Donegal v Fermanagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Bumsex

All the following games have been called off (frozen pitches :mad:)

Tyrone v UUJ
    Armagh v St.Marys
    Monaghan v Cavan
    Donegal v Fermanagh

thanks for that write up..
    ffs those frozen pitches..id say its more a deal of cold hands than any thing else..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

thanks for that write up..
    ffs those frozen pitches..id say its more a deal of cold hands than any thing else..:rolleyes:

Ya i can't understand it at all. Surely they knew the pitch was frozen before this afternoon, crazy stuff altogether but thats the GAA for ay

down and antrim finised 12 a piece,it looks like the james colgan sending off ruined my night (although i hear it was quite windy).

Well Derry bet Queens by a big margin (2-15 to 0-6 i think), so we got it totally wrong here, maybe Cough...(I mean Bs knew something we didn't about derry)

I can see some fixtures be called off due to frost again this weekend but here's what I like.

(1) Westmeath v Kildare @7/4.
    Westmeath are potentially one of the teams i'l be backing quite a bit this year as I think they're going to do well this season. They've already beaten the dubs and dit in the O'Byrne cup this year so I can see no reason why they can't beat an experimental kildare side that have beaten dcu and a poor longford team. Home advantage makes me think westmeath are worth a small punt.

€10 returns €27.50

I'd also like to back NUIG @5/4 away to sligo at the weekend, but they're already through to the fbd league final so i'm not sure how committed they will be to get a victory even though they've named a strong team.

Roscommon @10/3 is another game I like but am waiting for Ros's team to be named. Ros were awful against leitrim but mayo haven't impressed yet either and have made 15 changes to that of the team that played gmit last week.

Can't wait til the NFL and NHL starts now...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Meath v Laois off till Tuesday evening

Just a quick one on today's televised game, Kilmacud Crokes v Rhode

€20 on Total points(including goal) over 23.5

I know this time of year when the pitches are soft, scoring tends to be low but these two teams have plenty of fire-power and both teams will target to score more than 12pts each. Hopefully a couple of goals will see this come good.

Keep an eye on this bet in live betting! If the first 5/10mins are quiet and the line drops to 21.5pts, I might go in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭storykid

Just a quick one on today's televised game, Kilmacud Crokes v Rhode

€20 on Total points(including goal) over 23.5

I know this time of year when the pitches are soft, scoring tends to be low but these two teams have plenty of fire-power and both teams will target to score more than 12pts each. Hopefully a couple of goals will see this come good.

Keep an eye on this bet in live betting! If the first 5/10mins are quiet and the line drops to 21.5pts, I might go in again.

I waitied until in play and at the rate its going over 23 looks good, ive took over 28 and im still fairly confident on that if things keep goin like they are

(1) Westmeath v Kildare @7/4.
    Westmeath are potentially one of the teams i'l be backing quite a bit this year as I think they're going to do well this season. They've already beaten the dubs and dit in the O'Byrne cup this year so I can see no reason why they can't beat an experimental kildare side that have beaten dcu and a poor longford team. Home advantage makes me think westmeath are worth a small punt.

€10 returns €27.50

Lose, Westmeath 0-8 Kildare 0-12. Westmeath we're a couple of points up at the break, dunno what happened them in the 2nd half
    €20 on Total points(including goal) over 23.5 (this was @evens forgot to include the stake in the write-up)

Kilmacud Crokes 0-15 Rhode 1-7. This bet wins although was made sweat for it when Rhode missed the peno. Fair play to Crokes for finishing Rhode off with the couple of points in injury time.

Didn't have money on my other write-ups but for clarity, Roscommon lost by 7pts to Mayo while NUIG beat sligo by 5pts so would have broken even there or came out with a small profit.

Small profit overall but i'll take it.

Was at the Waterford hurling game today. Poor game, Waterford trailed 09- to 0-3 at half time but ended up winning 1-12 to 0-11 against a poor CIT team. Waterford away to Clare next weekend, will be interesting to see how its priced up. Anything around evens on Clare I'll be snapping up

Short priced but WIT @ 3/10 v UCD tomorrow in the Fitzgibbon is free money imo. WIT beat Tipp in The Waterford Crystal, have young Hammersby a very good underage Tipp player and home advantage.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Short priced but WIT @ 3/10 v UCD tomorrow in the Fitzgibbon is free money imo. WIT beat Tipp in The Waterford Crystal, have young Hammersby a very good underage Tipp player and home advantage.

urrrrgh a draw 0-15 to 1-12. puke.

• Advertisement

Was at the Waterford hurling game today. Poor game, Waterford trailed 09- to 0-3 at half time but ended up winning 1-12 to 0-11 against a poor CIT team. Waterford away to Clare next weekend, will be interesting to see how its priced up. Anything around evens on Clare I'll be snapping up

Prices up on PP now. Clare are 10/11. Well worth a bet imo. Clare have played 2 games and won scoring highly. I was at the Waterford game last week and we were very poor, I think a younger, Clare team with a bit more game time so far this season and home advantage will win this.

In the Leinster hurling final I think O Loughlin's are too big at 6/5 against Oulart the Ballagh.

Was gonna have a look at Laois against Kilkenny, as KK fielded an all u-21 team last week v NUIG, and only scored 2 points in the second half while still winning. But 15/8 on Laois is just too skinny.

Will do 3 pts on Clare, 2 on Loughlins and 1 pt on the double

Short and sweet this week, 1 week to start of the NFL and the teams named by the counties in action are starting to get a little stronger so hopefully that means they're a little more predictable.

Kerry v Clare @1/4
    Kerry in Killarney will not lose to clare even though Kerry have an inexperienced team out. When silverware is up for grabs Kerry will turn up. Many of the Kerry lads today will want some NFL action so a big performance today in front of the camaras is a must.

Donegal v Fermanagh @2/5
    Home advantage, a better squad and a 4 point win needed to progress to the next round of the mckenna cup. If they want it, they'll win today.

Dublin v Meath(+5) @1/3
    These are teams that I expect to be backing quite a bit in the NFL. It's a televised game and there's a bit of silverware up for grabs so expect a feisty contest. Both teams dont have great form but I think Meath have enough firepower in the likes of Farrell and Sheridan to keep the Royals within 4 point loss.

€15 treble returns €35

Short and sweet this week, 1 week to start of the NFL and the teams named by the counties in action are starting to get a little stronger so hopefully that means they're a little more predictable.

Kerry v Clare @1/4
    Kerry in Killarney will not lose to clare even though Kerry have an inexperienced team out. When silverware is up for grabs Kerry will turn up. Many of the Kerry lads today will want some NFL action so a big performance today in front of the camaras is a must.

Donegal v Fermanagh @2/5
    Home advantage, a better squad and a 4 point win needed to progress to the next round of the mckenna cup. If they want it, they'll win today.

Dublin v Meath(+5) @1/3
    These are teams that I expect to be backing quite a bit in the NFL. It's a televised game and there's a bit of silverware up for grabs so expect a feisty contest. Both teams dont have great form but I think Meath have enough firepower in the likes of Farrell and Sheridan to keep the Royals within 4 point loss.

€15 treble returns €35

uuurrrgh Donegal. The perils of backing the pre season games I guess, ul Sir V

€15 treble returns €35

Lose, damn donegal
    uuurrrgh Donegal. The perils of backing the pre season games I guess, ul Sir V

Guess they didn't want to progress to the McKenna cup final. That could be the only excuse for losing to fermanagh at home by 5pts.

In other news, I'll be starting my log next week in line with the NFL/NHL start-up, have a few exciting fixtures lined up to bet on already.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭seanman is me

I look forward!! is paddy power the best for national league markets??

Prices up on PP now. Clare are 10/11. Well worth a bet imo. Clare have played 2 games and won scoring highly. I was at the Waterford game last week and we were very poor, I think a younger, Clare team with a bit more game time so far this season and home advantage will win this.

In the Leinster hurling final I think O Loughlin's are too big at 6/5 against Oulart the Ballagh.

Was gonna have a look at Laois against Kilkenny, as KK fielded an all u-21 team last week v NUIG, and only scored 2 points in the second half while still winning. But 15/8 on Laois is just too skinny.

Will do 3 pts on Clare, 2 on Loughlins and 1 pt on the double

Clare were up 2-11 to 0-7 at HT but managed to lose by a point. Another big second half display from Waterford.

Leinster final is level with 8 mins of normal time left

Loughlins win the Leinster final by 2 points to cancel out the other losses

I look forward!! is paddy power the best for national league markets??

I only use PP for the GAA stuff, but I know Boyles and bet365 offer GAA markets aswell. I'm sure the price differences between them is miniscule though.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭storykid

Just browsing through the games and like the look of this double for the weekend
    Mayo at home to Down Saturday night, Down are missing a few players in defense for this and id expect Mayo to kick off the league with a win under new management im sure he'l want a good start.
    The match marks the first time the venue has hosted a league tie under lights and a big crowd is expected to welcome last year's beaten All-Ireland finalists.

After alternating his starting fifteen for all their games in the Connacht FBD FL, Horan has picked what he believes is his strongest team for this weekend's encounter.
    Down are a very good side so but with a strong Mayo team im giving them the nod in front of the home crowd.

Kildare away to newly promoted Antrim looks good to me aswell, Kildare will be eyeing promotion to div 1 so this would be a must win to give them any chance of doing it. After beating a good Louth side in the O Byrne Cup final last week id expect them to get the better of a tough Antrim team by a few points.

Gonna take a chance on the -1 handicaps in both games
    Mayo -1 @ 4/5/Kildare -1 @5/6 20e double pays around 5/2

Also Cork @ 13/8 vs Waterford in the Waterford Crystal Cup final Sunday looks very good to me, We were lucky to beat Clare last week after being down a fair but at half time.
    Havent decided on this one yet but leaning towards cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Timmy is 23 now Kev and not very good either, hes an accurate free taker but thats about it tbh, on that WIT team Noel Connors, Ray McLoughney and Buggy Meara would be far better hurlers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement