Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Betting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭storykid

great win for DLS, i stayed away from it betting wise, looking back now they were a great bet especially when given a +3 handicap in them poor conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Glad I stayed away from that match as well. Good call Kev.

Think I'm done betting on the GAA for this season. Not as enthusiastic on betting on club provincial games as they're much harder to call due to many factors.

I'll be back in february when the national football/hurling leagues commence and hopefully continue on to this time next year.

Hopefully a few more GAA nuts will join the thread next season and we'll all be rich by all-ireland final day :pac:

G'luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

Sir Vival wrote: »
    Glad I stayed away from that match as well. Good call Kev.

Think I'm done betting on the GAA for this season. Not as enthusiastic on betting on club provincial games as they're much harder to call due to many factors.

I'll be back in february when the national football/hurling leagues commence and hopefully continue on to this time next year.

Hopefully a few more GAA nuts will join the thread next season and we'll all be rich by all-ireland final day :pac:

G'luck.

i plan on doing a log and putting up tips here.in the log i plan on having some form of bet on every game in the league.last season i was only starting to gamble but got up a couple of 15/1 accys,so hope ill be fit to get some more of them.:D

Lookin forward to next season already to take more money off the bookies :pac:
    I've had a few long shot accums come in aswell. hopefully more of the same next year

1 game this weekend that i like, munster club football final
    Dr Crokes 11/10 Draw No Bet

Doing the DNB just to be safe as ive been burned by the draw before! i fancy crokes to win this, Nemo didnt sound very impressive against Stradbally on the radio 2 weeks ago, i know crokes went to extra time against Aherlow aswell but that isnt worrying me, ill take my chances on crokes
    i can see it being fairly low scoring with the poor weather, might chance no goalscorer when the odds are up aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Nemo v Crokes postponed again today,
    Cross' will look to get off to a flyer as they have been doing in their last few games and may be value at 10/11 ht-ft.

• Advertisement

The GAA season starts up again this weekend with pre-league tournaments like the FBD league, O'Byrne cup, Mckenna cup etc. As these matches are similar to pre-season soccer friendlies I wont be having any big bets but if there is a game or two that catches my eye value wise i'll do a write-up here and have a small dabble.

A list of odds for this weekends games are up on PP but i'll wait to see if a handicap market is added otherwise i'll probably hang onto my money this week.

Also, the National football leagues start in less than a month and with county teams taking this competition a little more serious in recent years, hopefully there will be decent money to be made from february right through til september.

So if ye guys have any thoughts on the upcoming games, post'em here and we'll see can we make a bit of money off them.

does anyone know where is the best place to get the different counties panels?having quite a bit of trouble finding most of them.

DCU are the only team that are jumping out at me at the minute,and even at that i dont think there's much value in it.was looking at the donegal panel and thought they should have shorter odds than they have at the minute,but then i saw the tyrone panel,and i cant see donegal being beat.ill be waiting for a better idea of starting 15s before i place any money,if i place any at all.id also like to see a handicap market as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Your best bet is to have a look around the various county forums for a bit more info on players available etc.

This is the Dublin team to face Westmeath anyway:

Dublin (SF v Westmeath): S Cluxton; N Devereux, S Murray, D Nelson; P Casey, G Brennan, D Daly; C Murphy, K Bonner; A Hubbard, T Quinn, D Kelly; D Stapleton, E O'Gara, K McManamon.

It's an inexperienced full back line and I'm not sure about midfield but apart from that the team is quite strong for this time of year.

i saw UL play CIT over 2 months back now but they were very poor, Tipperary @ 8/15 looks good depending on what kinda team they've out.

St Marys Belfast might be worth something @ 2/1, Found this team news http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=140205
    Hard to know how down will take this game though

i see clare are favs against UCC,would UCC not have quite a strong team,and clare arent anything great most of the time.

• Advertisement

1. Jonathan Curran – Oileán a’Ghuail

2. Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin

3. Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mhór

4. Dermot Carlin – Coill an Chlochair

5. Davy Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin

6. Conor Gormley – An Charraig Mhór

7. Ryan McMenamin – An Droim Mhór

8. Aidan Cassidy – Eochar

9. Sean Cavanagh – An Mhaigh

10. Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh

11. Brian McGuigan – Ard Bó

12. Ciaran Gervin – Doire Lochain

13. Martin Penrose – Achadh Uí Aráin

14. Stephen O’Neill – Clann na nGael

15. Mark Donnelly – An Charraig Mhor

thats a very strong starting 15 for tyrone.ill be sticking a few pound on them this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭mjp

Surprised to see prices up so early on these matches from powers&ladbrokes as they have very little info to go on in pricing the teams. Therefore there must be a few pounds to be made by those who have some info as to how far teams r n their preperations for matches. Sligo @ 2/1 at home to galway looks generous as galway. will be. missing good few lads who are playing with the colleges and new mgt. team will give good few lads a run. St. marys as you said above look a decent price at 2s against a down team who have little work done this year. louth beat Down by 5points n a challenge match last week. UUJ at evens should be too strong for Cavan aswell.

Look forward to a long profitable year from this thread. Great to have the Gaa back again for punting purposes!!!

Couple of teams have shortened today i just had a look online there, UCC in from 11/10 to 8/11 now, Tipperary gone from 8/15 into 4/9 aswell, Tyrone now 1/3.
    3 teams i would probably have been backing anyway! gonna put few bob on em tonight incase they shorten more tommorro

EDIT: just checked ladbrokes, prices still around the same there, its only powers that some teams have shortend

storykid wrote: »
    Couple of teams have shortened today i just had a look online there, UCC in from 11/10 to 8/11 now, Tipperary gone from 8/15 into 4/9 aswell, Tyrone now 1/3.
    3 teams i would probably have been backing anyway! gonna put few bob on em tonight incase they shorten more tommorro

EDIT: just checked ladbrokes, prices still around the same there, its only powers that some teams have shortend

Definitely a weekend for small stakes.

Tyrone have shortened due to them naming a strong side but more to do with donegal squad being ravaged by flu. http://www.hoganstand.com/Football/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=140301

Sligo @15/8 looks great value. They're at home, have named a strongish team and will want do well in the FBD league as they make a big step up to div. 2 NFL. Also galway manager has said he's going to experiment and a good few of their better younger players are tied up playing for the colleges.

Louth were a bit of value @4/11 but gone to 1/4 now. They beat down in a friendly a few days ago and are expected to play a reasonably strong team against Athlone I.T. who are a poor poor side.

Like the look of Sligo I.T. @7/4 against NUIG. Only a point separated the sides when the played a couple of months ago.

A cheeky €5 on a Sligo/Sligo I.T. double returns €39.53

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Decided I might aswell get the ball rolling this year with a little accumulator. €5 on QUB, St Marys, Sligo, Dublin and UCC to win.

Dit have shortened into 1/3 in Powers on the back of wexford managers jason ryans comments that he will field a side with a lot of fringe players. Dit supposed be putting big effort into sigerson this yr under guidance of former galway player and current Laois selector Paul Clancy.

Im going for a 2/1 treble for the sides below with prices. still available with ladbrokes.......
    Tyrone still available @1/2 with ladbrokes and should be too strong for Donegal who are missing a number of players through flu.
    Dcu @1/2 should be too strong for Offaly who will be missing their Rhode players and will be looking to put in a big effort to hold onto the o byrne cup.
    Louth 4/11 at home to Athlone IT look a safe bet. Like Dcu they have done well in this competition over the last 2yrs and beat Down in a challenge last week by 5 points.

Waiting on a few lads to get back to me with team news from the colleges so will keep yous posted if i hear anymore.

Heres to happy punting and getting the year off to a good start!!!!

Antrim @ 15/8 with powers are overpriced and look to have a strong chance of taking Armagh tomorrow. Armagh have named what looks a weakened side and only 4 of the side started in last years ulster championship. Compare this to Antrim who have 9 championship starters in their side and i would fancy their full forward line of Cunningham, Mc Gourty and Brady to get enough scores to get them past Armagh.

Down look to be struggling with their defence for tomorrows clash with St marys with 6 defenders out from last yrs championship panel(4 that started the All ire final so strengthens my arguement for the 3/1 st marys to be snapped up in Boyles

Ive gone for an accum of DIT, DCU, Louth and Tyrone,
    also a treble of UCC, Antrim and St Marys,

When i made the bet in Ladbrokes DIT were 11/10 on the screen! they processed the bet no problem, even though there 2/5 online. Do ya think i should get the 11/10 price if it comes in?

All the Mc Kenna cup matches off up north and rescheduled for 2 weeks time. Pity cause had a nice bet on tyrone @ 4/7 with William Hill. hopefully we dont loose anymore matches to the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭glanman

any late team news that give us an edge? Reckon UCC against Clare is a good bet, they will be close to peak and a lot of very good players in their team.

• Advertisement

glanman wrote: »
    any late team news that give us an edge? Reckon UCC against Clare is a good bet, they will be close to peak and a lot of very good players in their team.

Spent a while this morning scouring forums and county websites but found nothing major.

Updates of games here for anyone interested: http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0109/gaa.html

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GAA_PUNTER

O’Byrne Cup Senior Football first round
    Westmeath v Dublin, Mullingar OFF
    Wexford 0-02 1-10 DIT, Wexford Park, 2pm
    Kildare 0-09 0-06 Longford, Newbridge, 2pm
    Offaly v DCU, Tullamore OFF
    Meath v UCD, Pairc Tailteann OFF
    Carlow 1-05 0-01 Kilkenny, Dr Cullen Park, 2pm
    Louth 1-05 0-02 Athlone IT, Drogheda, 2pm
    Laois 0-06 0-04 Wicklow, Portlaoise, 2pm

FBD Connacht Football League
    Sligo 1-05 0-02 Galway, Enniscrone, 2pm
    NUIG 0-06 0-06 IT Sligo, Dangan, 2pm
    Leitrim v Mayo, Ballyhaunis OFF
    Roscommon v GMIT, Ballyforan OFF

McGrath Cup
    Cork 0-08 0-04 Waterford IT Pairc ui Rinn

Barrett Sports Dr McKenna Cup Senior Football
    Armagh v Antrim, Athletic Grounds, OFF
    Tyrone v Donegal, Healy Park, OFF
    Derry v Monaghan, Celtic Park, OFF

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2011/01/09/obyrne-cup-fbd-connacht-league-live-score-updates-results-sunday-9th-january-2011/

Ive gone for an accum of DIT, DCU, Louth and Tyrone,
    also a treble of UCC, Antrim and St Marys

The accum turned into a double with games getting postponed but still happy to have some bit of profit
    DIT and Louth had big wins
    UCC were beaten by Clare 1 13 to 13 points though, surprised by that result

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Offaly 9/2 tonight v DCU worth a few quid I reckon. Game starts in 10 tho

Waterford are playing Tipperary in the football on sunday inside in Waterford and @ 6/4 i think we're worth a punt in what will be a close game, but id fancy us to shade it. The team will be mostly full strength will a few new faces so i heard.

Cavan are missing alot of players for tommorro's game with Derry between flu and injurys

Waterford are playing Tipperary in the football on sunday inside in Waterford and @ 6/4 i think we're worth a punt in what will be a close game, but id fancy us to shade it. The team will be mostly full strength will a few new faces so i heard.

Cavan are missing alot of players for tommorro's game with Derry between flu and injurys

We are?didnt hear anything bout us missing players through flu.
    i was looking at waterford aswel,should be a tight enough game,so i might put a small bit on them.going to do a bit more research tonight and see what i see.

We are?didnt hear anything bout us missing players through flu.
    i was looking at waterford aswel,should be a tight enough game,so i might put a small bit on them.going to do a bit more research tonight and see what i see.

I happened to come accross it here http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=140575
    Id have to fancy Derry going on that news

In the hurling id fancy CIT @ 2/5 to have too much for Kerry and DIT @ 8/15 to come through vs Carlow, I wouldnt know about team news or anything though

Yeah CIT look good alright, think kerry will be putting out a relatively young inexperienced team according to hoganstand.

Two games have caught my eye this week.

(1) Roscommon v Leitrim @4/11

Both teams' games were called off last weekend so no form to go on but I can't see anything but a roscommon win. The Rossies are at home and will name a relatively strong team including several players who played last year and several who I think should have featured more last year. They're expecting a big year this year with aspirations to get straight out of div.4 so immediate momentum is highly sought after.

Leitrim are short a lot of players through college picks and players who are unavailable, most importantly Foley who they depend on to kick the frees (majority of their scores come from set plays. At their strongest Leitrim find it very difficult to beat roscommon and i see this weekend being an uphill struggle for them.

(2) Louth v Wicklow @2/5

Louth have been really impressive so far this year fielding quite strong teams in a bid to show the country that last year's progression was no fluke. They've beaten Down comfortably in a friendly and thrashed Athlone IT last weekend so confidence will be high in their camp. Their manager has said they're a stronger outfit this year with lots of gym work over the winter and this could pay dividends for them as physicality is vital when the pitches are still soft.

Although Wicklow beat Laois by a point last week, I see this season being hit and miss for them as I don't think they've the panel to consistently put in winning performances. In Aughrim I wouldn't bet against them but in Drogheda when the game is live on tg4, I reckon Louth will put in a big performance and come away the victors by a few points.

Double works out at just under evens, €20 bet for me.

nice one, won by 2 points :)

nice call on the double sir vival, good start to the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Sir Vival wrote: »
    (1) Roscommon v Leitrim @4/11

(2) Louth v Wicklow @2/5

Double works out at just under evens, €20 bet for me.

nice one dude followed you on this one :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement