Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Betting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

Nothing on I know much about this week.. Thinking about the following double
    (1) Ballygunnar v De la Salle @8/11
    (2) Carrickshock v O loughling gaels @4/6

€20 returns €57.58.

I'll wait for storykid's preview of waterford final.

Also like the look of Skryne to beat Rathnew @4/9. Purely because i think meath club football is stronger than wicklow football. Also the match is in meath which is a big advantag to skryne + they beat a much fancied senchalstown team in the meath county final by scoring 0-21 pts. Throw in the fact that they have the mercurial trevor giles and rathnew's best player leighton glynn is playing comprimised rules on saturday, I can only see one winner.

Comprimised Rules
    This match could go either way so i'm going to stay away from the win/lose market. I really like the look of: No player to be sent off @1/2. Aussie manager has assured the press that the aussies are here to play ball and also with the massive controversy over the last series, I reckon that both teams will play fair ( and a bit hard hopefully :) but nothing serious that would warrant a red card.

€50 returns €75

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gaatipstr

Sir Vival i have to disagree with you there. I have Rathnew as my outsider of the week to be honest. Just cos there from wicklow and Skryne are from Meath doesnt make a difference. Just look at Eire Og from Carlow who were the best club team in Leindter in the 1990's yet they came from a county who isnt know for there football. The Wicklow championship is actually very competetive and standard is high enough. Rathnew in my books are better than Skyrne. The fact that Leighton Glynn is playing for Ireland doesnt make a difference, he is a top athlete so two games in 2 days wont make a difference to him.
    Verdict - Rathnew by the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭glanman

In Cork the senior football final is on. Famed Nemo at 3/10 to win against city rivals st finbarrs who have a great tradition but have only just come up from intermediate 3 years ago.

I would advise staying away from Nemo at this price as Finbarrs will put it up to them and I wouldn't be surprised to see this going to the wire.

One that caught my eye is the tipp senior football semi, Moyle Rovers at 4/9 look like a nice one to me, that said I am not sure if they are missing anyone so maybe someone could advise if they are! Arherlow at 1/2 in the other semi should be winners too.

gaatipstr wrote: »
    Sir Vival i have to disagree with you there. I have Rathnew as my outsider of the week to be honest. Just cos there from wicklow and Skryne are from Meath doesnt make a difference. Just look at Eire Og from Carlow who were the best club team in Leindter in the 1990's yet they came from a county who isnt know for there football. The Wicklow championship is actually very competetive and standard is high enough. Rathnew in my books are better than Skyrne. The fact that Leighton Glynn is playing for Ireland doesnt make a difference, he is a top athlete so two games in 2 days wont make a difference to him.
    Verdict - Rathnew by the minimum.

I'll definitely take what you say on board, you probably have more knowledge on football in that area than me. I was just taking the game at face value: meath v wicklow. I suppose it also depends on how both teams will approach leinster championship, some clubs seem to be happy just to win their own county. Still think Skyrne will win but i might stay away from it betting-wise, will see how it get on with the comprimised rules tomorrow.

In my opinion if Glynn gets a lot of game time tomorrow, it will have a negative impact on his club performance but hey each man has an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭storykid

Was thinking of backing Carrickshock aswell in Kilkenny.
    I have a feeling Austrailia @11/10 will win today but its hard to call, after a good win in hammering UCC during the week.

Waterford SHC Final tomorro

Ballygunner 8/11 vs De La Salle 6/5
    Im hoping more markets will be put up on this 1 later as i expect plenty of goals in this tommoro. Ballygunner are deserved favourites going into this having been the best team throughout the championship this year and aiming to retain their crown.
    These 2 met in the group stages 2 months ago where a close game was expected, but Ballygunner ran out easy winners (Report here http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/story/?trs=mhmhmhmhkf )
    De La Salle were very impressive in destroying Passage by 15 points 2 weeks ago and this will be alot closer than their last meeting. De la Salle are a dangerous team but overall i expect Ballygunner to edge it. Both teams have fairly solid defences but i feel Ballygunner have a greater spread of scroring forwards and if John Mullane and Jake Dillon are kept quiet for DLS Ballygunner should come out on top. No injury doubts on either side as far as i know
    I think there wont be much in this one, so for me ill be on Ballygunner Draw no Bet @ 4/6 just to be safe.

• Advertisement

Made a bit of money on the comprimised rules yesterday so only having a small bet today mainly for interest as there seems to be too many tight games.

I've gone for the following accumulator: skyrne, ballygunnar(-1), ballintubber and carrickshock.

De La Salle ran out surprisingly easy winners today. 3 13 to 1 11.went into it, poor match but DLS played some stuff. Superior all over the field, Ballygunner were terrible to say the least
    Would have to fancy DLS to have the beating of Sars in the 1st round of the munster club going from watching both of them in their county finals

No write-ups this week simply because i don't know enough about any of the teams.

Only one game that interests me this weekend. The galway senior hurling final between Clarinbridge and Loughrea.

From reading the papers and talking to a few galway lads, Loughrea (priced @8/13) should come through this as they have the more balanced team and have come through the tougher side of the draw (including a victory in a replay over portumna)

Will probably double this up with: Austrailia under 1.5 goals @8/11. Austrailia never looked like scoring a goal the last day (except for the punched effort that hit the bar). I can see the being happy to keep tapping over the points (overs) and even if they somehown manage to get 1 goal, I can't see them getting 2.

Loughrea @8/13 and Austrailia under 1.5 goals @8/11
    €50 returns €139.51

Will also have a nibble at Austrailia to score no goals @2/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭glanman

great bet on the Aussies Im reckon, will have some of that!

Dont know too much about this weekends matches, going with this accum to keep me interested
    Crusheen v Kilmallock
    31st of Oct 2010 2:30 pm
    Handicap Betting
    Kilmallock (-1.0) @ evens

Loughrea v Clarinbridge
    31st of Oct 2010 2:30 pm
    Handicap Betting
    Loughrea (-2.0) @ evens

Thurles Sarsfields v Clonoulty
    31st of Oct 2010 3:00 pm
    Handicap Betting
    Thurles Sarsfields (-4.0) @ 5/6

10er returns 73

Gonna go with Austrailia no goals at 2/1 aswell, defo worth a punt!

• Advertisement

Ahh Loughrea let me down, game ended in a draw!

Thurles Sarsfields seem fancied by many to go close to winning it out this year, had a 9 point win today

storykid wrote: »
    Ahh Loughrea let me down, game ended in a draw!

Thurles Sarsfields seem fancied by many to go close to winning it out this year, had a 9 point win today

Clarinbridge scored a last-gasp free to tie the game up :mad: Having said that the bridge were up for most of the game. Hopefully we'll get better odds on loughrea now next week.

The bookies think Brigids (roscommon) are going to walk over Glencar/Manorhamilton (leitrim) by pricing them at 1/12. The handicap is currently Glencar/manor(+6) @evens. I'm gonna wait a few days and see if this goes up (like a lot of the handicaps did last week as people jump on the brigids bandwagon after their trouncing of Eastern harps (sligo) 0-21 to 0-4 in the first round).

This weeks match has been changed to cloone which is a lot lot smaller than carrick so i expect after a weeks rain, the soft narrow pitch and general doggedness of leitrim teams will keep this very low scoring.

Glencar/Manor are definately worth a punt on the handicap if it goes 1 or 2pts higher...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

What's peoples opinion on Castletown??? Skryne could hammer them if they perform like the other wexford teams in recent years but in fairness to Castletown they seem to have a good young team but will they be able to compete????? 1/4 Skryne looks like value from where i'm sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Had a good bet last week on Loughrea to beat Clarinbridge. I thought they were a good thing. Luckily I backed them to lift the trophy and the bet still stands after the draw. A reminder that it is nearly always worth doing this when betting on matches.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

What's peoples opinion on Castletown??? Skryne could hammer them if they perform like the other wexford teams in recent years but in fairness to Castletown they seem to have a good young team but will they be able to compete????? 1/4 Skryne looks like value from where i'm sitting

Three of the four Leinster quarter-finals look very one-sided if you are to go by the betting , Mattock Rangers and Castletown are both 3/1 plus , and Old Leighlin are an even bigger price ,
    have any of them a realistic chance of upsetting the odds , or are they worth a punt on the handicaps given that the forecast is poor for the weekend ?

tatoo wrote: »
    Three of the four Leinster quarter-finals look very one-sided if you are to go by the betting , Mattock Rangers and Castletown are both 3/1 plus , and Old Leighlin are an even bigger price ,
    have any of them a realistic chance of upsetting the odds , or are they worth a punt on the handicaps given that the forecast is poor for the weekend ?

It's very hard to predict provincial club championships games as if your not from the county, you don't really know if the team are really up for further progression or whether they've been on the sauce after winning their own championship and happy with themselves for the year.

Having said that I think glencar/manor(+6) @ evens is a good bet (definately worth €20) as they're clearly not a bad team (3 in-a-row in leitrim) and are playing on a tight pitch in leitrim. They're renowned for their battling qualities and have zero media spotlight on them as everyone is predicting an easy win for St. Brigids (purely based on their last result).

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭johnny_cash

The game between portlaoise and kilmacud crokes is televised who do you guys think will win this?I think portlaoise might be worth a bet @ 11/8.

The game between portlaoise and kilmacud crokes is televised who do you guys think will win this?I think portlaoise might be worth a bet @ 11/8.

Very hard game to call, according to hoganstand, crokes could be without 6 dublin panelists but they still have a very strong team. Maybe wait a while and place an in-play bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

I'd have my doubts that Crokes will be missing all those lads ,
    but that being said I wouldn't put anyone off backing Portlaoise at 11/8,
    they will have alot of motivation to win, their unfortunate recent tragedies , and they've had plenty of time to mull over last years debacle against Kilmurry when they were raging hot favourites and will be keen to set the record straight .
    With the weather set to be very bad , it should be a low scoring affair so having home advantage will be of extra importance.

Mentioning the weather , backing teams getting a big start may be worthwhile , Glencar and Monaleen plus five or six points look attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GAA_PUNTER

GAA : Fixtures, Live Scores & Results – Sunday 7th November 2010
    Written by: Gary Quinn on 7th November 2010

Related News
    No Related Post
    GAA : Fixtures, Live Scores & Results – Sunday 7th November 2010

Munster club Senior Football Championship quarter-finals
    Stradbally (Waterford) 0-05 0-01 Doonbeg (Clare), Dungarvan, 2.00pm
    Dr Crokes (Kerry) 2-06 1-02 Monaleen (Limerick), Killarney, 2.00pm

AIB Leinster club Senior Football Championship quarter-finals
    Portlaoise 0-00 0-00 Kilmacud Crokes (Dublin), Portlaoise, 2.30pm
    Garrycastle 0-00 0-00 Mattock Rangers (Louth), Mullingar, 2.30pm
    Skryne 0-00 0-00 Castletown (Wexford), Navan, 2.30pm
    Old Leighlin (Carlow) 0-00 0-00 Rhode (Offaly), Dr Cullen Park, 2.30pm

AIB Connacht club Senior Football Championship semi-finals
    Killererin (Galway) 0-00 0-00 Ballintubber (Mayo), Tuam Stadium, 2.30pm
    Glencar Manorhamilton (Leitrim) 0-00 0-00 St Brigid’s (Roscommon), Carrick-on-Shannon, 2.30pm

AIB Ulster club Senior Football Championship quarter-final
    Burren (Down) 0-00 0-00 Coleraine (Derry), Newry, 2.30pm

Tipperary Senior Football Championship final
    Aherlow 0-00 0-00 Loughmore-Castleiney, Thurles 2:30pm

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/11/07/gaa-fixtures-live-scores-results-%E2%80%93-sunday-7th-november-2010/

• Advertisement

Sarsfields 5/6 v De La Salle 11/10

Going to side with DLS this weekend to overcome the cork champions below in cork. 2 years ago they went down there to play them in the 1st round and came away with a win.That match will have little bearing on sundays game but De La Salle are a stronger more experienced side now and the way they easily won out the county championship in the end was very impressive.
    I dont know too much about sars but going from the game vs Glen Rovers which was on tv a few weeks ago id side with De La Salle to edge this by a few points.

First Goalscorer
    J Dillon 8/1

I wouldnt normally back goalscorers but i think therl be a few goals in this 1 and jake dillon is worth a few euro each way to get on the scoresheet. Has been in great form in the county championship scoring a few goals this year and is a real goal poacher.if he gets a sight at goal he'l go for it. a real talent for the future(hes still minor i think).

Id wait until the teams are out before id back him because he was taken off injured in the county final 2 weeks ago, but id imagine he'l be playing sunday.

Intermediate Club Football Semi Final
    Clashmore 10/11 v St Breckans evens

The Waterford champions at home to the Clare champions this weekend, i dont know anything about Breckans only they beat the Tipp intermediate champions last weekend in Clare
    Clashmore surprised many when relegated from senior last year, as they have a decent team, but bounced back up 1st time of asking. However they were poor in the county final 2 weeks ago and lucky to win it against a fairly average team, and they will be missing 1 of thier better players who's now in Austrailia.
    I just have a feeling Breckans will edge this, i dont see home advantage in Dungarvan as too much of an advantage to Clashmore. I wont be putting much on it though, its a risky 1!

As for the other games I think Thurles Sars will find it tough going to Killmallock but i still fancy them to come out on top in the end and will probably back them on the handicap -3 @10/11

Also thinking about Oulart The Ballagh -9 @ 10/11 against the westmeath champions

Sir Vival wrote: »
    Having said that I think glencar/manor(+6) @ evens is a good bet (definately worth €20) as they're clearly not a bad team (3 in-a-row in leitrim) and are playing on a tight pitch in leitrim. They're renowned for their battling qualities and have zero media spotlight on them as everyone is predicting an easy win for St. Brigids (purely based on their last result).

This came in, Brigids only won by 2pts.

No games that i personally fancy this week, maybe a double of thurles sarsfields on the handicap and de la salle (wasn't impressed with sarsfields from cork at all in the cork final).

Thurles(-2) @2/3
    De la Salle @11/10

€10 returns €35

Thurles(-2) @2/3
    De la Salle @11/10

€10 returns €35

Loser, Damn DLS hitting so many wides in the 2nd half.

Bored at home so here's my view on this weekends connaught final.

CONNAUGHT CLUB FINAL

Killererin vs. St Brigids @11/8 Sunday 21st Nov. at 14:00 (LIVE on tg4)

Don't really understand why Brigids are outsiders for this game, I personally would have them slight favourites at 10/11. I think the bookies and people in general are drawing way too much into Galway club vs. Roscommon club therefore it should be a win for the Galway team.

I can't think of any other reason because it's not like Killererin set the world alight against a poor ballintubber team (who should really have beaten them if alan dillon wasn't so off form).

Brigids have been here before and know what it takes to win connaught finals so experience and first-time big day nerves won't be a problem. They're a team of seasoned campaigners (even though they're not an old team per se, they're players have played a lot of big matches) with vast county experience including talisman frankie dolan, towering midfielder karl mannion, ros senior capt. peter domican and county full-forward (well next season anyways) senan kilbride. Scary thing is I could list a few more players who are just as good and have just as much experience as those mentioned.

Killererin welcome back padraig joyce which gives them a big boost but I can see the Brigids backline doing a man marking job which should limit his influence. I feel nicky joyce will take a little more stopping but you can't stop every player performing on the day so hopefully he doesn't go to town altogether on sunday and is held to 5 or 6 pts max. Probably the most important clash is in the middle of the park where thomas hughes will go head to head with mannion. hughes was immense against ballintubber but following that performance with an equally good one will be very hard to do and now he is up against an established county midfielder that knows all the tricks of the trade.

I just feel that Brigids are destined to win connaught this year, they're training hard, still involved in the u-21 A comp (going for 9 in-a-row) and they get massive support. Add to that Brigids beat Killererin in 2007 so they know they can do it.

Verdict: St.Brigids by 2/3 pts

My Bets
    (1) St. Brigids win. €20 @11/8 returns €47.50
    (2) St. Brigids(-1). €10 @2/1 returns €30
    (3) €5 D O'Connor 1st goalscorer @8/1 (good goal scoring record)
    (4) €5 Conor McHugh 1st goalscorer @10/1

DLS let me down last week aswell, id have to fancy thurles in the munster final, De la salle have to up thier performance from the sars match to have a chance

Thinking about Nemo Rangers (-5.0) @ 10/11 vs Stradbally the weekend
    Below in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Stradbally are a honest hard working team and you know what your gonna get, they have a very good defence but up front they usually dont score too much and i cant see them causing an upset here. I think Nemo will pull away in the second half and win by 6/7 + points

Great odds on brigids there, think ill put em ina double with Nemo -5
    10er returns 45

very unlucky with the brigids bets, their quality is showing now they have it won easily

Verdict: St.Brigids by 2/3 pts

Well that's frustrating. Brigids only turn on the style in extra time to win by 7pts. Having said that they were very lucky to get the last minute goal that brought the match to extra time.

Note to self: DO the (+1) bet!, 2nd time in as many weeks that a draw killed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Are DLS something like 9/4 to win the Munster final?

If so, it looks a super bet. They have the experience of being there before and winning it and if Mullane produces a better performance than he did in the semi final, I can see them winning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Munster and Leinster club hurling finals Sunday

DLS + 3 (5/6) v Thurles Sarsfields is a cracking bet. Its a game I feel DLS could well win, and think +3 is massive on the handicap in a 60 minute game thats likely to be tight and obviously lower scoring than normal it being end of November

O Loughlin Gaels (11/8) v Oulart the Ballagh also looks great. KK champs v Wexford champs. Oulart havent really been tested in Leinster, very unusual to see a KK team underdogs v a Wexford team. Has to be worth the bet.

Am on DLS at 25's for tha AI from the day after they won the Waterford, so a win Sunday would have me very happy (also a bit at 9/2 to win Munster)

KevIRL wrote: »
    Munster and Leinster club hurling finals Sunday

DLS + 3 (5/6) v Thurles Sarsfields is a cracking bet. Its a game I feel DLS could well win, and think +3 is massive on the handicap in a 60 minute game thats likely to be tight and obviously lower scoring than normal it being end of November

+3 is definitely a big handicap for this time of year with two teams who seem to be fairly well matched. Having said that I haven't be impressed with DLS in their last couple of games, while Sarsfields have looked a level above everyone else. Disappointed by the few markets offered for a game that is televised, Unders would probably be a good bet today.

If you really fancy DLS, their 9/2 to win by 1-3pts. If indeed they do win definitely cant see them blowing sarsfields out of the water completely.
    O Loughlin Gaels (11/8) v Oulart the Ballagh also looks great. KK champs v Wexford champs. Oulart havent really been tested in Leinster, very unusual to see a KK team underdogs v a Wexford team. Has to be worth the bet.

This game is off as far as I know. O loughlin gaels were surprising winners in KK this year and many expect the Ballagh to win the all-ireland thats the reasoning behind the odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

i put a few bob at around 50 minutes in when DLS were 2 points up @ 5/6. was encouraged by some of the comments here. crazy price really given there was only 10 mins left and there wasnt much of a gap between the 2 teams!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement