Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

I rarely send out the first message in fact i've only sent one so far. I did see a beautiful girl alright that i like on POF We both live far enough away so there was no chance of meeting up but i did send her a message just telling her that she was beautiful and if she lived near me i would've chancing my arm with her. Must sound cheesy but couldn't help it.The guys that live near her are going to be really lucky. tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

I gave up on POF very quickly as OKCupid seems to suit me better. The site is organized much better and it seems to attract my type of person. I like having some sort of profile to read to get an idea of the person. The sort of person that has a profiles containing just "xoxoxxo....xxxx" seem to happen a lot less there.

I dont know what it is but I just cant warm to okcupid no idea why. I know the profiles have much more detail in them which is great but for some reason I always feel as if its just me and 10 other people on it :pac: Its dead! ha or maybe just the times I go on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

same on OKC, didnt feel it had enough people on it for all work you put into profile, reading someoens profile cuts out chavs quick enough on POF.

Had 2 dates while back with one girl before, she made her excuses on having end it at that, got on well but long term i didnt see it working out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Bumder wrote: »
    I've set up an account on POF now too! If anyone of the female persuasion wouldn't mind having a look at my profile and pointing out the glaring errors before I start sending messages Id appreciate it...though it could be too late..:P

i found a female second opinion great to get some perspective and make sure i didnt sound like a weirdo. ( thanks larianne )

on an unrelated note: sent three messages this morning, got two fairly promising replies.....not bad so far but i dont want to get my hopes up.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

manafana wrote: »
    same on OKC, didnt feel it had enough people on it for all work you put into profile, reading someoens profile cuts out chavs quick enough on POF.

I have probably had 10 times the replies & views etc on OKC than POF. More importantly it seems to lead to dates. Some sites just suit different people. Sure the numbers are low on OKC, but 10 good profiles that suit me are better than 100 that don't.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just reactivated my OKC profile... I wonder how long it'll last this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

booooooooooo... i mean good luck :)

Yeah... I can see my patience holding out for long on this.

what made you quit?

Found it a waste of time. Figured I'd give it another go but..

• Advertisement

but....?

Not expecting much!

probably the best attitude to have going into it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Not expecting much!

I bet your attitude comes across in your profile too.

You're no better (or worse) than anyone else. And thinking that you are isn't going to do you any favours.

...lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I bet your attitude comes across in your profile too.

You're no better (or worse) than anyone else. And thinking that you are isn't going to do you any favours.

I think you've taken Pepe up totally wrong there chatterpillar.

Larianne wrote: »
    I think you've taken Pepe up totally wrong there chatterpillar.

Fair enough. :) Just not what I'd be into!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Fair enough. :) Just not what I'd be into!

I know what chatterpillar means though. Some profiles you read come across really negatively and it does impact on whether you mail them or not.

Just wondering do 'the holidays' make you, not so much resent but be more irritated with the online dating thing and the fact that you are still doing it?

Dovies wrote: »
    I know what chatterpillar means though. Some profiles you read come across really negatively and it does impact on whether you mail them or not.

Just wondering do 'the holidays' make you, not so much resent but be more irritated with the online dating thing and the fact that you are still doing it?
    Well my profile is largely copy & pasted from my long-serving couchsurfing profile so I don't think there's any danger of yesterday's hangover grumpiness seeping into it.

My gripes with OKC and the rest arise not from my apparent superiority/inferiority to the rest of mankind but in that it doesn't actually seem to be very well geared towards enabling the meeting of new people. If I was a betting man I'd say I'm probably more likely to meet a girlfriend through boards than I am through OKC, but maybe it'll prove me wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Yeah I have read a few of those, they slightly smack of shame to be there and scorn towards the others that are online. The profiles that go to the bother of pointing out how they are just there for the laugh or because they were bored in work. Heaven forbid they actually may see it as a way of meeting somebody :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Got another message on OKC from a brazilian girl last night, I seem to only attract foreign girls with a poor grasp of english. Wondering if that says something about my profile. :confused:

Maguined wrote: »
    Got another message on OKC from a brazilian girl last night, I seem to only attract foreign girls with a poor grasp of english. Wondering if that says something about my profile. :confused:
    It's a hard life ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oh jaysus, I just realised that I drunk messaged some lass from POF on Saturday night.

Oh dear....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

That_Guy wrote: »
    Oh jaysus, I just realised that I drunk messaged some lass from POF on Saturday night.

Oh dear....

Oops. Rude? Friendly? Chatty? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oops. Rude? Friendly? Chatty? :confused:

Nothing sleazy or rude no. Just don't like messaging people when I'm completely sloshed.

The conversation basically revolved around Ed Sheeran and his ginger hair. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

It's a hard life ;)

Ah no interest in them to be honest, if you can't have a decent conversation with someone what's the point.

...lol?

Apologies, I probably did take you up completely wrong there. Sorry about that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Seems as though I'm not getting any real interest on okc or pof.

I can only presume it's either:

a) I'm ugly
    b) uninteresting
    c) having kids is a turnoff

I'm doooooooooooomed!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

That_Guy wrote: »

Oh dear....

Did the same thing and managed to get my first ever reply, pretty happy with that, but i agree drunk messaging is a dangerous game to play as i logged on the next day and had no recollection of doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 murhatchi

Hi all. New here. Just registered on POF last week, have made loads of messages, have pic up etc.. only one reply. Any pointers from ye experienced . Many thanks in advance kind posters. (p.s. Im male 30 something!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement