Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

murhatchi wrote: »
    Hi all. New here. Just registered on POF last week, have made loads of messages, have pic up etc.. only one reply. Any pointers from ye experienced . Many thanks in advance kind posters. (p.s. Im male 30 something!)

Hiya, Im kind of the opposite to you. Im female and getting lots of emails. I don't write back to the ones that just say "hi how are you" and I don't really look at the profiles unless they engage me with conversation first.

Im not being cold or dismissive its just that some of the guys send really interesting emails and we end up having good conversation. So I stick to these guys only, otherwise Id be on POF all day!

There seems to be a lot of male competition so make yourself stand out!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

eilo1 wrote: »
    Hiya, Im kind of the opposite to you. Im female and getting lots of emails. I don't write back to the ones that just say "hi how are you" and I don't really look at the profiles unless they engage me with conversation first.

Im not being cold or dismissive its just that some of the guys send really interesting emails and we end up having good conversation. So I stick to these guys only, otherwise Id be on POF all day!

There seems to be a lot of male competition so make yourself stand out!:pac:

Eilo, I'm in a similar situation to you - plenty of one-liner messages, I just won't reply unless they attempt to strike up a conversation and seem interesting! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

missbelle wrote: »
    Eilo, I'm in a similar situation to you - plenty of one-liner messages, I just won't reply unless they attempt to strike up a conversation and seem interesting! :P

Alot of girls can do that too.

"Hey.xxx"

Ehhh I can already tell that the conversation is gonna go nowhere.

Oh yes, of course it works both ways. Just for me personally, when I send a message to someone, it's because I've checked out their profile, liked what I saw, and written a message maybe referencing something I thought was nice about them, or what I thought we had in common. So, when I receive a message, I like to think the guy isn't just reeling off a generic "Hi" message to any girl within an age range/location/etc. Maybe being too picky, but it's not the end of the world if I don't meet someone that way, it's just another network :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 murhatchi

missbelle wrote: »
    Oh yes, of course it works both ways. Just for me personally, when I send a message to someone, it's because I've checked out their profile, liked what I saw, and written a message maybe referencing something I thought was nice about them, or what I thought we had in common. So, when I receive a message, I like to think the guy isn't just reeling off a generic "Hi" message to any girl within an age range/location/etc. Maybe being too picky, but it's not the end of the world if I don't meet someone that way, it's just another network :D

Hi, thanks for the replies. Indeed I have been using Hi etc.. in the subject line but Ive always referenced something in the profile in the message body (where there was something to reference of course!), should the subject line be more comprehensive or would quick reply be better? MAybe my profile and pic are just lousy :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

murhatchi wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the replies. Indeed I have been using Hi etc.. in the subject line but Ive always referenced something in the profile in the message body (where there was something to reference of course!), should the subject line be more comprehensive or would quick reply be better? MAybe my profile and pic are just lousy :(

Hmm I sit on the fence on this one. Sometimes a quick reply will do - they either fancy your pic or don't. If you take the effort to write a comprehensive message and then its just ignored it kind of makes you feel worse than if it was just a quick one if you get what I mean! (Too early in the morning to try to string a proper sentence lol) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just so ya'all know I met my girlfriend on POF. It's been 3 months now so chin up guys and keep looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just so ya'all know I met my girlfriend on POF. It's been 3 months now so chin up guys and keep looking!

Bloody show off.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Galvasean wrote: »

She'll never love you like I would. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

hey all, could someone give me their perspective on this..
    just to state that i know online dating is a numbers game & its all about browsing to see who you'd click with.. so ive been chatting to this guy from connectingsingles for the last 3 weeks and we've our first date planned for this sat, always texting & chatting on the phone, getting on quite well etc.. is it acceptable to be always online too? i know, i might sound old fashioned but id just like yer thought on this :rolleyes:
    thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I sometimes put BOOBS in the subject line and start the message off with.... "Now that I have your attention...."

haha it's good for comic effect and shows I have some kind of sense of humour :D

liz2 wrote: »
    just to state that i know online dating is a numbers game & its all about browsing to see who you'd click with.. so ive been chatting to this guy from connectingsingles for the last 3 weeks and we've our first date planned for this sat, always texting & chatting on the phone, getting on quite well etc.. is it acceptable to be always online too? i know, i might sound old fashioned but id just like yer thought on this :rolleyes:
    thanks ;)

Yes of course it is. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket and you are free to look at other profiles and message others - I'm sure he does the same.

Good luck on the date, you will have to report back and tell us if we need our wedding hats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

Misticles wrote: »
    Yes of course it is. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket and you are free to look at other profiles and message others - I'm sure he does the same.

Good luck on the date, you will have to report back and tell us if we need our wedding hats :D

thanks misty ;)

liz2 wrote: »
    thanks ;)

Yes of course it's grand to chat to a few different people, it's all about keeping the options open :cool:
    Have fun on your date, Liz, don't forget to update us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

What sites do most of ya use? I have an old OKC page but never really got properly in to it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The 2 most common for the folk on here are plenty of fish and ok cupid.

Personally I found the OKC site horrible to navigate and there were slim pickings.

Using POF the last few weeks,more user friendly and alot of users so I much prefer it to OKC (lesser of two evils I mean) but I guess it comes down to personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Personally I found the OKC site horrible to navigate and there were slim pickings.

Using POF the last few weeks,more user friendly and alot of users so I much prefer it to OKC (lesser of two evils I mean) but I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I'm basically the reverse of that. I love the set-up on OK Cupid and find POF less user friendly. I'm not a fan of the layout or the search system. OKCupid just looks like a more professional site in my view.

I also prefer the profiles on OKC as they lead the user to writing more detailed information. So I find it easier to open conversation.

I also find that I see more "suitable" matches on OKC. For whatever reason the type of girls I like seem in greater supply on OKC. Likeminded individuals perhaps.

I would also say age-range may play a part. Maybe the girls in the age range I am looking for and vice versa are more likely to be on OKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm 22 but generally prefer men a little bit older so probably 22-30. I'll have a browse around both sites and see how I get on :)

WRT boards meeting, I've dated people from here before, nothing to be scoffed at :) A friend of mine married a guy she met here and 2 others are currently engaged to men they met on boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I'm 22 but generally prefer men a little bit older so probably 22-30. I'll have a browse around both sites and see how I get on :)

WRT boards meeting, I've dated people from here before, nothing to be scoffed at :) A friend of mine married a guy she met here and 2 others are currently engaged to men they met on boards :)
    Hmmmm Im going wrong somewhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I'm basically the reverse of that. I love the set-up on OK Cupid and find POF less user friendly. I'm not a fan of the layout or the search system. OKCupid just looks like a more professional site in my view.

I also prefer the profiles on OKC as they lead the user to writing more detailed information. So I find it easier to open conversation.

I also find that I see more "suitable" matches on OKC. For whatever reason the type of girls I like seem in greater supply on OKC. Likeminded individuals perhaps.

I would also say age-range may play a part. Maybe the girls in the age range I am looking for and vice versa are more likely to be on OKC.

Agree with pretty much everything PK has said, there is definitely a much smaller pool of people on OKC but I think you are trading in quantity for better quality, well you get a better idea of what someone is like based on a more detailed profile. Most of the profiles on POF are extremely small and give no real sense of what someone is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I sometimes put BOOBS in the subject line and start the message off with.... "Now that I have your attention...."
    tumblr_lhgkq6NSK61qh6fqvo1_500.jpg&sa=X&ei=m5reTtX0MZO2hAfjvenxBA&ved=0CAsQ8wc4RA&usg=AFQjCNFaGg8u3ahB3n1q9RYJ7HcaRNDUmg

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Had a date last night with a girl I met off POF. Went pretty well I think but last time I thought that I got the silent treatment after! Lets hope its different this time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

now i remember how this works.... so here is how im doing 3 days in:

9 girls messaged -
    1 Thanks but no thanks automated response.
    1 seemed very keen but stopped replying.
    1 stopped replying when i showed my pics.
    2 ongoing conversations (until they disappear!)...one of which wants to talk on the phone so its looking ok.
    1 of my messages was never read.
    2 read and no response.
    1 girl i messaged to say thanks but i cant do long distance and we've just been chatting about online dating....apparently she keeps getting sent pen1s pics. which is surprising on a paid site where you have to pay $10 to start talking to someone.

Good luck everyone!

uglyjohn wrote: »
    now i remember how this works.... so here is how im doing 3 days in:

9 girls messaged -
    1 Thanks but no thanks automated response.
    1 seemed very keen but stopped replying.
    1 stopped replying when i showed my pics.
    2 ongoing conversations (until they disappear!)...one of which wants to talk on the phone so its looking ok.
    1 of my messages was never read.
    2 read and no response.
    1 girl i messaged to say thanks but i cant do long distance and we've just been chatting about online dating....apparently she keeps getting sent pen1s pics. which is surprising on a paid site where you have to pay $10 to start talking to someone.

Good luck everyone!

Please tell me, you don't use your boards username as your online dating alias? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

is it me or is pof full of nutters?

Define nutters exactly???

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

wimmin are are not normal.

They all seem relatively normal to me... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

duke916 wrote: »

I know, they have like boobs and stuff. Gross :P

But yeah I agree with you to a point. I think there are a few people with profiles on it that do not portray them in the best light. That's a very diplomatic way of saying it:P

Edit: I'm not saying women are weird or anything. Just that on POF there are a few profiles that people should really have a think about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Please tell me, you don't use your boards username as your online dating alias? :eek:

Nope! but maybe i should have...migh have stood out.
    duke916 wrote: »

could that just be women in general?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement