Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

Well... Isn't fēnix 2 a replacement for 910XT?
    It has all triathlon features + ski/snowboarding modes + routes, altimeter, compass for hiking. It is positioned as trail watch but is has all features of 620 + multisport support.
    On the negative side - no WiFi support. No colour screen.
    I've ordered it couple days ago. Just arrived to my apartment, but I haven't unpack it yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    Well... Isn't fēnix 2 a replacement for 910XT?
    It has all triathlon features + ski/snowboarding modes + routes, altimeter, compass for hiking.
    I've ordered it couple days ago. Just arrived to my apartment, but I haven't unpack it yet :)
    Not really. It's more of a branched product for the rugged outdoorsy-types, with too much money (joke ;)). It's got most of the functionality of the 910, with some additional features (run dynamics) from the 620. I think it could be considered a successor to the 910, without being the specific replacement. It doesn't for example have a quick-release kit, so would be wrist mounted for the bike portion of a triathlon. It's also missing some swim training modes etc. And yes, I would like one. :)

Well, one of the most important additional feature for me - it is an actual watch. I mean you can wear it for a week without recharging and it doesn't look like a massive square timer (like 910xt and 310xt looked like) :)

Well, one of the most important additional feature for me - it is an actual watch. I mean you can wear it for a week without recharging and it doesn't look like a massive square timer (like 910xt and 310xt looked like) :)
    How do you know? You haven't taken it out of the box yet. :D

I knida believe this review and photos :)

• Advertisement

I knida believe this review and photos :)
    Given that it's at the same price-point as the 910xt, I'd definitely go for the Fenix2 over the 910xt, were I in the market for a high end Garmin. It's just got a lot more plus points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I have last months bonus literally burning a hole in my pocket so thinking about maybe possibly upgrading my trusty Garmin 305 (the red and grey one that's the size of a small laptop:D)

What would be the latest equivalent model (have looked on various sites but not really sure) - not interested in multi-sports or heart rate particularly; would need interval training options included.

Cheers cm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Cartman78 wrote: »
    What would be the latest equivalent model (have looked on various sites but not really sure) - not interested in multi-sports or heart rate particularly; would need interval training options included.

Cheers cm

Both the Garmin FR620 and FR220 support custom workouts created in Garmin Connect, with the 220 being the cheaper option of course!

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I have last months bonus literally burning a hole in my pocket so thinking about maybe possibly upgrading my trusty Garmin 305 (the red and grey one that's the size of a small laptop:D)

Cheers cm
    The evolution of the 305 is: 305 -> 310xt -> 910xt.
    So the latest equivalent model is the 910xt, however, the similarly priced Fenix2 has a number of advantages over the 910xt. The 310 was the successor to the 305 and can be picked up fairly cheaply (particularly from the US).

Well, Cartman78 mentioned he doesn't need multisport.
    620 probably is best choice then. It is smaller, lighter, better screen and most important for me - WiFi support.
    However I'm switching 620->fenix 2 as I need swimming stats. Will miss WiFi automatic uploads :(

• Advertisement

For those who recently had to return their Garmin for a replacement, in my case a 620, what was the turn around time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I rang them, and arranged to get mine sent out before they actually received my replacement (as I was worried it'd take too long). Had to pay the freight cost as a result (10.99 sterling), but rang them on Friday and got the watch today.

Did my first run with Garmin fenix 2.
    Now I can compare it to 620 (well, not deep comparison, but main pros/cons).

Pros:
    - more resistant to the physical damage.
    - more contrast screen
    - multisport (plus compas, altimeter, barometer, thermometer)

Cons:
    - more complicated menus
    - colors on 620 aren't very bright but colour screen is quite informative (e.g. cadence screen, recovery advisor).
    - lees useful messages (e.g. when my HR is higher than workouts range 620 shows message "HR too high 140", where 140 - current HR. fenix 2 says: "HR is higher than 136" where 136 is a top limit. I need to wait for message to be hidden to check current HR.
    - font for messages is smaller
    - NO TRAINING CALENDAR. huge con for me. Now I need to scroll my 65 workouts and select one manually. 620 knows what I'm going to do today.
    - slower. slower to pick up satellites (about 3-4 mins vs seconds for 620). Slower in saving/transferring data.

My thoughts:
    If you need top running watch - 620 is no brainer. It is better running watch than fenix 2. If you need other stuff (swimming, hiking etc.) then you might consider fenix 2. I wouldn't buy fenix just for hiking (I have Garmin Edge for that) and basic cycling (cycling support was promised by Garmin for 620, no power meter though).
    I bought fenix 2 for few reasons:
    - swimming
    - more though (I'm very inaccurate and scratched my first Swatches screen in 4-5 month. After that I'm trying to buy watches with mineral glass).

- slower. slower to pick up satellites (about 3-4 mins vs seconds for 620). Slower in saving/transferring data.
    It uses the same functionality as the 620 to pre-cache satellite information (i.e. via USB or BT/Garmin Connect app). Do you know if it has pre-cached the satellite information? It does use an older generation chipset than the 620 though, which may be the root of the problem.

Well.. I'm not sure, but I've synced it, uploaded workouts and installed update (not sure if I've synced after update). Will test it again on Sat.

Anyone played around with the new 'modern' Garmin Connect?
    It's a little buggy and unwieldy so far..

Nope.. I still have the old one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

There's a link at the top of the dashboard page that allows you to switch on the interface. The bad news is that it's still a bit cluncky, the good news is that you can switch back to the old interface in the settings.

R

RunDMC wrote: »
    There's a link at the top of the dashboard page that allows you to switch on the interface. The bad news is that it's still a bit cluncky, the good news is that you can switch back to the old interface in the settings.

R

Not for me and a few other friends yet. I believe its a phased rollout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

viperlogic wrote: »
    Not for me and a few other friends yet. I believe its a phased rollout

Nothing for me either.

They don't like those of us with the 410 it seems. We're the black sheep of the family it seems.

• Advertisement

Nope, I don't have 410 (310XT, 620, fenix 2) and still no access.

Here is official reply from Garmin I've received this morning:
    Garmin introduced new Garmin Connect interface for the Vivofit users few weeks ago. Garmin will introduce new Connect interface to all users, however it will be done in phases.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Not really. It's more of a branched product for the rugged outdoorsy-types, with too much money (joke ;)). It's got most of the functionality of the 910, with some additional features (run dynamics) from the 620. I think it could be considered a successor to the 910, without being the specific replacement. It doesn't for example have a quick-release kit, so would be wrist mounted for the bike portion of a triathlon. It's also missing some swim training modes etc. And yes, I would like one. :)

I've been playing around with the fenix 2 and debating using it for everything, only issues so far is that it is a lot bigger than the 220 and that if you leave on the notifications, you get good data from your phone, txt alrerts and first line etc etc but as reviews said, battery life is then killed.

Edit - oh and I got the new look connect also, and I don't have a vivofit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

pointer28 wrote: »
    Nothing for me either.

They don't like those of us with the 410 it seems. We're the black sheep of the family it seems.

I have a 410 and I got the new interface the other day. I found it grand once I stared at the front screen for 5 minutes looking for the link to get beyond the front page. Hint : click on the word dashboard in tiny font in the top right hand corner. I feel old.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone with the forerunner 610 have problems with the strap?

Mine keeps breaking loose at one end, I've even gone to a jeweler to have the metal bar replaced but it seems to be a design flaw as the watch came loose again this week, twice.

At this point I may resort to superglue or electrical tape.

Is there any way to fix elevation values on Garmin Connect?
    My garmin added some random several thousands meters spikes yesterday:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/485244800

Is there any way to fix elevation values on Garmin Connect?
    My garmin added some random several thousands meters spikes yesterday:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/485244800

Don't have the link to hand but Garmin posted a message a few days ago that they are working on the elevation correction part of Garmin Connect and hence the reason you may be seeing these

Oh, I see.. so it isn't the device problem as I thought.

Anyway, it ruined my stats on RunKeeper and Endomodo too :(

Oh, I see.. so it isn't the device problem as I thought.

Anyway, it ruined my stats on RunKeeper and Endomodo too :(

upload the FIT file directly from the watch to RunKeeper and Endomodo rather than exporting from Garmin Connect and then uploading. If elevations still weird, then its the watch. I see you have the Fenix2, just like the FR620 and FR220, there is a host of problems with that watch also

Thanks, but to do that I need to connect it by cable. My cable isn't really handy to disconnect - it is plugged in the bedroom and cord goes behind drawer. :) I sync only via BT. Will wait for fix from Garmin. Or will follow your advise if they won't fix it by next week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

My latest run from the Garmin 610 has failed to upload to Garmin connect. The Data transfer status from the ant device just said failed. This is the 4th time this has happened in 6 months.

I can locate the run by going to Upload - Upload New activities. When I try to upload it the status goes to uploading but never finishes.

I have reset the device by holding the 3 buttons and then re-entering my profile. The run is still there but wont load.

The run has uploaded to Strava without any issues but I still would like it on Garmin connect.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisement