Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

belcarra wrote: »
    KRUSTY!! (Why didn't you respond to my clown signal in the sky last night?!)
    I need help!!
    Umm.... Having you tried knocking it off the table?!

If you've properly carried out a master-reset, then the only suggestion I would have would be to apply a firmware update/downgrade, just to be completely sure that it's not a software issue (while plugged in). After that Garmin support is pretty much your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Umm.... Having you tried knocking it off the table?!

If you've properly carried out a master-reset, then the only suggestion I would have would be to apply a firmware update/downgrade, just to be completely sure that it's not a software issue (while plugged in). After that Garmin support is pretty much your only option.

Yep, that was the exact page I'd followed to carry out the reset.
    I'll try the firmware thingy later (any basic pointers on doing this??) but may send an email to GS immediately to get that ball rolling too...
    Thanks anyways G!

belcarra wrote: »
    Yep, that was the exact page I'd followed to carry out the reset.
    I'll try the firmware thingy later (any basic pointers on doing this??) but may send an email to GS immediately to get that ball rolling too...
    Thanks anyways G!
    The firmware idea may not be a runner. If you're not running the latest firmware, then it is definitely worth your while upgrading, as this wipe the system software, which *could* possibly resolve your issue, if it is a system OS problem. If you are already running the latest firmware, then you'd need to figure out if you can re-apply the firmware or back-rev it. I'm not sure if either of these approaches can be applied to a 310xt.

Here's a thread to suggest how someone did this in the past (just for the logic, don't use that firmware!). Needless to say, there's a reasonable chance that you may brick your device by back-revving to an older firmware (which will not necessarily leave you in a worse position). Is the device still under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

The firmware idea may not be a runner. If you're not running the latest firmware, then it is definitely worth your while upgrading, as this wipe the system software, which *could* possibly resolve your issue, if it is a system OS problem. If you are already running the latest firmware, then you'd need to figure out if you can re-apply the firmware or back-rev it. I'm not sure if either of these approaches can be applied to a 310xt.

Here's a thread to suggest how someone did this in the past (just for the logic, don't use that firmware!). Needless to say, there's a reasonable chance that you may brick your device by back-revving to an older firmware (which will not necessarily leave you in a worse position). Is the device still under warranty?

I'm 99% certain the firmware is up to date (I checked on this about a week ago so unless they've released a new edition since) and don't particularly fancy the possibility of bricking the thing (Did this with a phone a few years ago and learnt my lesson!!).
    I only got the unit back in Summer last year and got it from Garmin directly to cover me for such outcomes so hopefully they may sort it out for me. Probably take a while though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sorry if this has been asked before.
    I have a Garmin 110. I am wondering is it possible to see a weekly record of your runs on Garmin Connect?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Sorry if this has been asked before.
    I have a Garmin 110. I am wondering is it possible to see a weekly record of your runs on Garmin Connect?

Thanks

Absolutely! Do you currently upload your workouts to Gamin Connect?

Ya

Just go to [Plan] [Calendar] and if you want a weekly view, click on [Weekly]. Totals are at the bottom of the screen. I prefer the monthly view myself.

292741.png

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

You can also create custom reports under the Analyze|Reports tab.

Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Hi, I have had a look through the forum and cannot find the answer I want (need).
    I have a venerable 305 and last night in the rain I got some water ingress for the first time in the screen. It seems to be sandwiched between the external and internal screen.

Questions:
    1. If yes, can I remedy now?
    2. Do I need to worry about it?
    3. Even though out of warranty, would it be covered by the service option?
    I am very attached to it and I am in the middle of my Edinburgh training and I fear it may crap out later on me.

All thoughts welcome.

• Advertisement

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Hi, I have had a look through the forum and cannot find the answer I want (need).
    I have a venerable 305 and last night in the rain I got some water ingress for the first time in the screen. It seems to be sandwiched between the external and internal screen.

Questions:
    1. If yes, can I remedy now?
    2. Do I need to worry about it?
    3. Even though out of warranty, would it be covered by the service option?
    I am very attached to it and I am in the middle of my Edinburgh training and I fear it may crap out later on me.

All thoughts welcome.
    Did you get your questions in the wrong order?!
    Do I need to worry about it? Yes! Is it still working?
    If yes, can I remedy now? You could try putting it in the hot press, with some uncooked rice, or even better, one of those silica gel sachets you get every time you buy a new pair of runners, flat-pack furniture, or other goods that come in a cardboard box!
    Even though out of warranty, would it be covered by the service option? Yes, you can always return it to Garmin and get a refurbished unit in exchange (for a price). You should weight up the cost against the price of a 310xt, which is good value on Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Did you get your questions in the wrong order?!

Yes, yes I did. Such is my panic. Sitting in rice now, it still works, my concern is down the road. As for a newer one, well I think of the 305 as like Windows XP, I know how it works and I know its limitations and I am happy with that. Thanks.

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Yes, yes I did. Such is my panic. Sitting in rice now, it still works, my concern is down the road. As for a newer one, well I think of the 305 as like Windows XP, I know how it works and I know its limitations and I am happy with that. Thanks.
    Some day, when there's no more life left in the 305, you'll have to look further afield. On that fateful day, you'll find that the 310 works in almost exactly the same manner as your 305.

Re: Elevation Gain on Garmin Connect - is this the total of climbs you have done in your run?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Question on Calorie burning. I use a Garmin 410 - I've had it about 18 months and only used the Heart Rate Monitor I bought with it for the first time yesterday on a half marathon training run. Afterwards, I was quite surprised to see the calorie burn for the run drastically decreased from the non-HRM runs. I did look this up on this thread before posting but didn't get the full picture. The calorie burn for 21.1k yesterday was 1,263, with an average HR of 145, whereas the previous burn for the same distance on approximately the same course and speed without the HRM was 1,878 - a full 615 calories more.
    OK - so using the heart rate monitor has corrected the 'speed/distance algorithm' used by the watch - but what does this actually mean? Why was it consistenlty over-estimating by so much? I am burning approx 33% fewer calories than previously estimated by the watch. My height is 183cm, and weight is 82KG. So what would it have taken for the 1,878 cals to have been accurate, a much faster heart rate? Does the speed / distance algorithm always err on the higher side?

Re: Elevation Gain on Garmin Connect - is this the total of climbs you have done in your run?
    In theory. It is the sum of all 'up' during your workout. I have found the numbers to be quite unreliable though. Even across Garmin watches, there are massive discrepancies, so I would say that as a whole, the numbers aren't very relevant.

I do find the elevation profile to be pretty accurate though, particularly if you have turned on Elevation Correction.

Question on Calorie burning. I use a Garmin 410 - I've had it about 18 months and only used the Heart Rate Monitor I bought with it for the first time yesterday on a half marathon training run. Afterwards, I was quite surprised to see the calorie burn for the run drastically decreased from the non-HRM runs. I did look this up on this thread before posting but didn't get the full picture. The calorie burn for 21.1k yesterday was 1,263, with an average HR of 145, whereas the previous burn for the same distance on approximately the same course and speed without the HRM was 1,878 - a full 615 calories more.
    OK - so using the heart rate monitor has corrected the 'speed/distance algorithm' used by the watch - but what does this actually mean? Why was it consistenlty over-estimating by so much? I am burning approx 33% fewer calories than previously estimated by the watch. My height is 183cm, and weight is 82KG. So what would it have taken for the 1,878 cals to have been accurate, a much faster heart rate? Does the speed / distance algorithm always err on the higher side?
    On the 410 I believe it uses a completely different algorithm when wearing a HRM. Specifically, it is using a Leaf algorithm, which may explain the discrepancy. Without the HRM it's just using a generic weight/distance/time calculation. Using a generic calculator, the suggestion based on your weight is that the 1,800 figure is probably closer to the truth (you didn't mention how long the workout took you, so I used 2 hours).

Are you sure you have your correct profile statistics on the watch and Garmin Connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Weight on my watch is 82KG - I didn't realise I could sync that with Connect (Connect was showing 81KG, I have now updated to 82KG). Run time was 2h02 for 21.1k. I checked out the generic calculator on your post and it's showing 1,792 cals. So, what is the HRM actually adding to the equation? - is it saying that at 145BPM I am burning less calories than the 'average' for my weight and height?

Weight on my watch is 82KG - I didn't realise I could sync that with Connect (Connect was showing 81KG, I have now updated to 82KG). Run time was 2h02 for 21.1k. I checked out the generic calculator on your post and it's showing 1,792 cals. So, what is the HRM actually adding to the equation? - is it saying that at 145BPM I am burning less calories than the 'average' for my weight and height?
    I can't say, as I don't know how the algorithm works for your specific watch model with the HRM strap. Personally I don't get too hung up over calories (I use a generic rule that each mile I cover is 100 calories (but then I'd be closer to 71kgs). If you want to know more, DC Rainmaker covers the various algorithms here. After that, you'd need to do some research on the Garmin Support forums for the 410 here. Here's a search that will get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sub3wannabe

Can I ask f10 owners how they manage interval sessions seeing as the auto lap function seems to be stuck on 1km. I for example am following a program where I have to run 600 meter intervals. Is there a way around this? A couple of ideas I've had was to somehow use the run/walk feature. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I#m not very imaginative!

• Advertisement

Can I ask f10 owners how they manage interval sessions seeing as the auto lap function seems to be stuck on 1km. I for example am following a program where I have to run 600 meter intervals. Is there a way around this? A couple of ideas I've had was to somehow use the run/walk feature. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I#m not very imaginative!
    You don't need a workout to do short intervals. You just need a stop-watch. Best thing to do is measure out a flat, straight stretch of road/path (or a track) that is 600m long. Even better if you can add the two intermediate 200m steps. Turn off auto-lap. Press start, when you're ready to begin, check your time at the 200m split, and again at the 400m split against expected targets and then hit lap at the finish. Recover for the desired period and when it's over, hit lap again and head back along the 600m stretch in the other direction.

Is there a data field for lap time?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Problems syncing with 310XT,

So have a 310xt and up until around two weeks ago I've had no problem syncing via Ant to my mac also its always worked with Dailymile.

Now Dailymile won't find the garmin runs and the 310xt has stopped automatically syncing with the Ant,

I've deleted and reinstalled the Ant and also tried different USB port and it'll only sync when i select "pair with new devices", when I select this it searches for the garmin and transfers the data and then it goes back to idle. I have to do the same thing the next time as well.

Any suggestions?

[EDIT]
    OK i've removed ant with appzapper and reinstall it, dailymile is now working for the first time. Hopefully this has sorted it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok, after rebooting it stopped working again.

Any suggestions on how i might fix this?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ok, after rebooting it stopped working again.

Any suggestions on how i might fix this?
    Don't reboot. ;)

Sorry, I try to avoid them Mac things like the plague. Do you know which piece in the puzzle is causing the problem? Does uploading to Garmin Connect work ok? Are the files being uploaded to your Mac?

Don't reboot. ;)

Sorry, I try to avoid them Mac things like the plague. Do you know which piece in the puzzle is causing the problem? Does uploading to Garmin Connect work ok? Are the files being uploaded to your Mac?

I don't normally for weeks on end...but damn power went! :(

When the Ant does sync (when i select new pair) it does upload to garmin without any problems, but dailymile still won't work after it does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Anyone know how to send your PR's to the Garmin 620 from Garmin Connect?

I don't have this button --> http://www.dcrainmaker.com/images/2013/11/PRs.jpg

viperlogic wrote: »
    Anyone know how to send your PR's to the Garmin 620 from Garmin Connect?

I don't have this button --> http://www.dcrainmaker.com/images/2013/11/PRs.jpg
    I have that button. Are you sure that you have Personal Records recorded?

Yup, have 4 PR's but no button. Tried in Firefox, IE and Chrome

viperlogic wrote: »
    Yup, have 4 PR's but no button. Tried in Firefox, IE and Chrome

After uploading a new activity, the button was then there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi all,

I've recently started doing an indoor workout and I'm using my Garmin Forerunner 305 along with the Heart Rate Monitor that comes with it to track my progress.

However, when I uploaded my workout to Garmin Connect, it didn't give me any total calories burned despite the heart rate calculations being fine.

I'm just wondering, is there anything I am doing wrong or does the Garmin not give off calorie burn figures when indoors? The device asked me if I was indoors before starting the workout to which I pressed yes. When I did this, I noticed the 'distance' measurement was blank for the duration of my workout which I suspect has something to do with it.

Thanks. :)

Advertisement