Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sub3wannabe

GPS is not entirely accurate when travelling around corners. In fact you should always have a healthy level of scepticism. The fact that you are on minor roads is irrelevant, however, if there are hedges and trees that obscure the watches views of the sky/satellites, it may impact the watches accuracy. Should you allow for inaccuracy? Generally speaking yes, you should aim to train a little faster than the exact equivalent goal pace.

Thanks Krusty. I was reading somewhere that gps watches are poor for track sessions because of the bends. I guess its just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thanks Krusty. I was reading somewhere that gps watches are poor for track sessions because of the bends. I guess its just one of those things.

Also, the current pace can be widely inaccurate for short periods of time, if it losses sight of the satellites. However, the overall pace for the run should only be impacted a little.

Seemingly, my fastest pace last week was 1.35min/km. If I could just keep that up for 2 minutes, I'd be laughing.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

How are people finding the cadence measurement on the garmins?
    I'm a bit wary as it's giving me better results that I expected.

Avg Run Cadence: 179 spm
    Max Run Cadence: 187 spm
    Avg Stride Length: 0.94 m

Is a sample.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

copacetic wrote: »
    How are people finding the cadence measurement on the garmins?
    I'm a bit wary as it's giving me better results that I expected.

Avg Run Cadence: 179 spm
    Max Run Cadence: 187 spm
    Avg Stride Length: 0.94 m

Is a sample.

I am not sure how it is measuring it?? It is telling me my cadence on average is 190 for an easy run and about 200 for faster sessions. My stride length is just under a meter for easy runs and up to 1.25m for faster runs.
    I am taking it with a pinch of salt anyway... I always though my cadence was around 180-185.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am not sure how it is measuring it?? It is telling me my cadence on average is 190 for an easy run and about 200 for faster sessions. My stride length is just under a meter for easy runs and up to 1.25m for faster runs.
    I am taking it with a pinch of salt anyway... I always though my cadence was around 180-185.
    For the 620/220, there's an accelerometer in the watch which calculates your cadence. Needless to say, the stats are for both feet (we're often more accustomed to hearing cadence figures for one foot (i.e. a cadence of 100 spm)). I wouldn't imagine it's as accurate as a footpod. If someone has both, maybe they could compare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I changed the battery in the HRM last night and now the watch isn't picking it up at all. I tried re-scanning/pairing with the strap on, tried with a different battery, the usual stuff but not joy. Is there any way to test the HRM independently of the watch ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    I changed the battery in the HRM last night and now the watch isn't picking it up at all. I tried re-scanning/pairing with the strap on, tried with a different battery, the usual stuff but not joy. Is there any way to test the HRM independently of the watch ?
    Only by connecting it to another device/watch. Were you wearing it at the time? Needs to have a current passing before it is switched on, so make sure you wet the sensors and wear the strap.

For the 620/220, there's an accelerometer in the watch which calculates your cadence. Needless to say, the stats are for both feet (we're often more accustomed to hearing cadence figures for one foot (i.e. a cadence of 100 spm)). I wouldn't imagine it's as accurate as a footpod. If someone has both, maybe they could compare?

Cool, I didn't realise it had an accelerometer (or even what one was :p). Nice to see the watch at least is not plucking stats from out of it's arse :pac:. I was aware I had a pretty high cadence with short strides; now to keep the cadence high and work on lenthening the stride :cool:

Cool, I didn't realise it had an accelerometer (or even what one was :p). Nice to see the watch at least is not plucking stats from out of it's arse :pac:. I was aware I had a pretty high cadence with short strides; now to keep the cadence high and work on lenthening the stride :cool:
    If you have the 620 and the new HRM strap (HRM-fit) you'll also get vertical oscillation, and ground contact time, as it also has an accelerometer.

If you have the 620 and the new HRM strap (HRM-fit) you'll also get vertical oscillation, and ground contact time, as it also has an accelerometer.

I have the 220 with HRM which is giving me stride length and cadence....more than enough info for me thanks :pac: wouldn't have a clue what to do with that other info ;)

• Advertisement

I have the 220 with HRM which is giving me stride length and cadence....more than enough info for me thanks :pac: wouldn't have a clue what to do with that other info ;)
    Give us a link. You too Copacetic... Be interested to see the stats.
    Meno: You know you can use the watch on a treadmill (with GPS turned off) and it should record distance/cadence/pace etc.?

Give us a link. You too Copacetic... Be interested to see the stats.
    Meno: You know you can use the watch on a treadmill (with GPS turned off) and it should record distance/cadence/pace etc.?

Yeah; here you go: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/433751618
    I know I can use it on a treadmill but Cadence is pretty useless on it's own unless combined with stride lenght, and my stride length (and cadence) seems to vary depending on how fast I am running.

Only by connecting it to another device/watch. Were you wearing it at the time? Needs to have a current passing before it is switched on, so make sure you wet the sensors and wear the strap.

Yep, I was wearing it at the time. I'll try and dig up the old battery and see if it's a battery problem

Tried everything, no joy. €60 for a new one, ffs. Seems like the old style strap is more robust than the soft strap, any opinions on that ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    Tried everything, no joy. €60 for a new one, ffs. Seems like the old style strap is more robust than the soft strap, any opinions on that ?

Ordered the old style one on Amazon for 38 sterlings and free P&P.
    I was standing outside the Spar on Parkgate street on Saturday and a guy ran past me and my watch picked up his HRM, so at least I know the watch is OK (even if it is a complete HRM slut :D)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

New firmware out for 620 and 220.

220 link http://ow.ly/t0yj8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Trampas

One of the lads 405cx is dead as a doornail. Won't turn on or charge.

Have it plugged into plug and laptop and tried the hard reset of holding down both buttons for 10 seconds and release and nothing.

Anything else to try to get it going?

Trampas wrote: »
    Anything else to try to get it going?
    Have you tried knocking it off the table? ;)

If you've done the hard reset properly and there's no sign of life when plugged in, then it sounds like it's a gonner. Maybe contact Garmin support, to check out the cost of a refurb?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When I put a new battery in my HR strap do I need to re-pair with Garmin or something? It's not working... :(

When I put a new battery in my HR strap do I need to re-pair with Garmin or something? It's not working... :(

Yup. Also throw away your Mac. It won't help, but I'll feel a little bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yup. Also throw away your Mac. It won't help, but I'll feel a little bit better.

I bought my dad a PC for his birthday. I feel his pain.

Trying to help a 69 year old to use windows 8...his pain is my pain. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I bought my dad a PC for his birthday. I feel his pain.

Trying to help a 69 year old to use windows 8...his pain is my pain. :(

Windows 8...what is the point of that bloody OS!?!?
    Does my head in with it trying to be too clever all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Garmin HRM run, bought 20 Dec. Battery dead. Can't open it as the screws are too tight. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

rom wrote: »
    Garmin HRM run, bought 20 Dec. Battery dead. Can't open it as the screws are too tight. :/

So it will be still under warranty. I had that problem and I contacted Garmin. No help with trying to fix the screws but they did say if it was under warranty they would send a replacement. Worth calling them...and let us know how you got on. In my case I was out of warranty but eventually did get the screws off but damaged two of them. HRM worked for a while but is spiking again. :mad:

geld wrote: »
    So it will be still under warranty. I had that problem and I contacted Garmin.
    I think that Garmin support have rom on speed-dial at this stage. :)
    He's just giving out, not seeking help!

belcarra wrote: »
    Windows 8...what is the point of that bloody OS!?!?
    Does my head in with it trying to be too clever all the time!

old farts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have a Garmin 110. Twice now since I bought it it has shut itself off and won't turn on. After going through forums I figured out how to reset. Press the other 3 buttons (not the 4th red one) together for at least 35 seconds and then let go. The Garmin should turn itself back on.
    I also find that sometimes it takes 2 goes to shutdown the Garmin, obviously some bug there.

I have a Garmin 110. Twice now since I bought it it has shut itself off and won't turn on. After going through forums I figured out how to reset. Press the other 3 buttons (not the 4th red one) together for at least 35 seconds and then let go. The Garmin should turn itself back on.
    I also find that sometimes it takes 2 goes to shutdown the Garmin, obviously some bug there.
    Have you updated the firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I had the first problem before the Firmware update. It seems to be a common problem going by the Garmin forums.
    I must do that update when I get the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

KRUSTY!! (Why didn't you respond to my clown signal in the sky last night?!)
    I need help!!

My 310XT is fully charged. However, when I power it on it does all the usual stuff for about 20 seconds (10 of which I am able to move through the different screens, etc.) but then it just turns itself off!
    No message/reason given. Watch was working perfectly before that.
    I have tried several times over the past 12 hours to get it going again but same result every time.
    Just after doing a hard reset to see if it fixes the issue but no luck.

Any black magic advice you might have for this??

Cheers!

Advertisement