Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,034 ✭✭✭✭event

Hi all

I have the forerunner 305, been using it for the past year or so to keep track of times/distance etc. Bar the battery going a bit crap (might get a new watch), its been great.

one thing, ive never really used the heart rate monitor, as I dont really know its advantages. i know it monitors heart rate (im not that slow :)) but how do you go about incorporating this into your training? Tried searching the thread, got nothing.
    if anyone had any pointers, that'd be great

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I did search the thread so forgive me if this has come up before.

I am trying to send a course from Garmin Connect to my 310XT. GC says that no device is detected. ANT Agent is definitely working because I just transferred activities from the watch. I have the latest version of communicator and USB drivers.

Is it possible to send courses over ANT or do I need to connect by cable? (I thought this was for charging only but the Garmin website mentions connecting by USB)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭rom

hardCopy wrote: »

I am trying to send a course from Garmin Connect to my 310XT. GC says that no device is detected. ANT Agent is definitely working because I just transferred activities from the watch. I have the latest version of communicator and USB drivers.

Is it possible to send courses over ANT or do I need to connect by cable? (I thought this was for charging only but the Garmin website mentions connecting by USB)

Thanks

USB is for charging only, ANT for data transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks
    The cable carries power only (the section you read may have related to the 305), so it has to be via the ANT Agent. Sounds like it could be a problem with the Communicator plugin. What does it say when you visit this page? Might be an idea to try a different browser also.

rom wrote: »
    USB is for charging only, ANT for data transfers.

Yeah, I thought as much. Any idea how I can make the Communicator plugin recognise the device?

Thanks

• Advertisement

The cable carries power only (the section you read may have related to the 305), so it has to be via the ANT Agent. Sounds like it could be a problem with the Communicator plugin. What does it say when you visit this page? Might be an idea to try a different browser also.

This is the message I get on the test page:
    209719.png
    Same in IE and Chrome

Same in IE and Chrome
    Did you try the transfer from different browsers? Though I prefer to use Chrome, I usually find Firefox more reliable for transferring data from Garmin Connect. Worst case scenario, you can try transferring courses from Garmin Training Centre (if the course is based on an activity) and upload it from there to the watch (which will skip the Web Communicator step).

I've just installed Training Centre and it can't find the device either. It's very strange though because I just tried running the timer for a few seconds then stop and reset, Ant Agent picks it up OK and transfers to GC.

Have tried the transfer in IE, just downloading Firefox now to give that a try.

I've just installed Training Centre and it can't find the device either. It's very strange though because I just tried running the timer for a few seconds then stop and reset, Ant Agent picks it up OK and transfers to GC.

Have tried the transfer in IE, just downloading Firefox now to give that a try.
    Might be an idea to remove your device from the ANT Agent and re-add it. Right-click on the ANT Agent, and go to [Device Settings]. You should see a pull-down list with your device. Select it and click [Remove]. Make sure pairing is turned on, for both the Ant Agent (right-click, [Pair with new devices -> Enabled) and the watch itself. You'll need to re-authorize the device to Garmin Connect.

Might be an idea to remove your device from the ANT Agent and re-add it. Right-click on the ANT Agent, and go to [Device Settings]. You should see a pull-down list with your device. Select it and click [Remove]. Make sure pairing is turned on, for both the Ant Agent (right-click, [Pair with new devices -> Enabled) and the watch itself. You'll need to re-authorize the device to Garmin Connect.

It seems to pair OK when there is new data, and appears in the dropdown menu, but once the data is transferred it disappears from this list.

I managed to get GC to recognise the unit a few minutes ago but then got an error saying the Device Does Not Support Courses.

Now that the dummy activity is finished transferring the device is gone from the list and GC can't see it anymore.

I think I'll try re-installing the Ant Agent

EDIT: GC is now recognising the unit again but still get the error above. Same error in Chrome, Firefox and IE.

Device firmware is up to date on 4.2, ant is up to date on 2.3.3 and communicator is up to date on 4.03, head is wrecked!

• Advertisement

It seems to pair OK when there is new data, and appears in the dropdown menu, but once the data is transferred it disappears from this list.
    That's nuts. Can you try another computer? Definitely sounds like something on the ANT Agent side (what else could it be?), or your OS. When you pair a device with the ANT Agent, it creates a number of folders under:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<device number>.

I presume these folders are being created?

The folders are all there, lots of old Activity files in there but nothing in the course folder.

It must something peculiar to my machine because I can't find anything similar on the garmin forums either. Will have to try it on my home PC later.

Quite annoying because I'm heading for a spin this evening after work and would rather not get lost in Meath on my way home!

I'm running Windows 7 64-Bit.

I find that course functionality isn't the best (on my 910xt). If it's a course you plot out yourself, then the map doesn't seem tow work at all. If it's a previous activity, then the map works, but the refresh rate is so poor that it's very frustrating. Could be just the 910xt though. Remember, you can always save your starting point and either retrace your steps, or track back to it (which works pretty well).

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tony stark

Just got a garmin 310 xt after a long wait!! Unfortunately I'm having major trouble with the USB stick is not recognising the watch. I have an old compaq- and windows xp. It said I needed to download windows xp service pack 3. I have done this yet it continues to come up. I hope somebody out there can help. I got this for training out in Malaysia for two months starting monday and I'm not bringing my laptop with me so I really need to get it sorted. Thanks and I pray someone out there can help!!!

tony stark wrote: »
    Just got a garmin 310 xt after a long wait!! Unfortunately I'm having major trouble with the USB stick is not recognising the watch. I have an old compaq- and windows xp. It said I needed to download windows xp service pack 3. I have done this yet it continues to come up. I hope somebody out there can help. I got this for training out in Malaysia for two months starting monday and I'm not bringing my laptop with me so I really need to get it sorted. Thanks and I pray someone out there can help!!!

If you're not bringing your laptop, what's the problem? The watch will still work fine.
    Has XP SP3 been successfully installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭tony stark

Windows xp s3 has been installed. Just needed the USB program installed so that my runs would be uploaded automatically so I can see them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Out on a run tonight doing some mile intervals,couldnt make out pace.When i checked settings,found that it wasnt set to running mode but was set to "other"mode. I reset it to running mode mid run which reset distance etc.On uploading to GC,i have the run in 2 parts.Question is,can these be combined again easily or will i have to do it manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭rom

Out on a run tonight doing some mile intervals,couldnt make out pace.When i checked settings,found that it wasnt set to running mode but was set to "other"mode. I reset it to running mode mid run which reset distance etc.On uploading to GC,i have the run in 2 parts.Question is,can these be combined again easily or will i have to do it manually?

yes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMOsDVEF2Zw or if your lucky and have a mac you can use textmate and its much easier to do as it will indent it correctly. or you could use something like http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpxmerge/ ;)

Cheers for reply. Cant figure it though:o

Cheers for reply. Cant figure it though:o
    If you give us a link to the two activities, someone can stitch them together for you.

• Advertisement

How do i do that:confused:

How do i do that:confused:
    Well, you have them uploaded to Garmin Connect, right?
    Just select the activity in Garmin Connect, and copy the URL from the address bar, and paste it here. Do it for both activities. For example, here is my most recent run:

211669.png

Hey JohnnyCrash, you need to mark the second one public, so we can download it.

Done:o

and done..

Just download the file below, rename the extension to .gpx (so the file should be called: 2012-07-04 14-06-12.gpx) then click on the [Upload] button in Garmin Connect, choose [Manual Upload] select the file, and Bob's your clown.

By the way, the merge tool I used is available here. It runs from the command line, and will merge any GPX files in the folder in which it is run, into a new file which is Garmin Connect compliant.

No go im afraid,says file is corrupt

• Advertisement

No go im afraid,says file is corrupt
    It uploads fine for me. See here
    Are you doing something wrong?

*Edit*: Why don't you click on [Export] from my link above, download the file as GPX, and then re-upload it?
    Let me know when you're done so I can delete it from my account.

Advertisement