Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thats happened to me before and they magically reappear. Why do you have it set to delete activities after upload?

It has happened to me before and I was hoping it would reappear after todays run but No dice...
    I have it set to delete after upload as there is no need to store them on the watch when they are on the internet. Doesn't it mess up the watches memory having loads of activities stored? I have heard you start losing the maps, splits etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

My Garmin 610 is playing up. Just back from France and now I ain't getting any Sat reception. Took nearly 10 mins in an open field today. Tried this but no go after that. I see 5/6 sats and I get an accuracy of 12ft https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={fe4a0470-a754-11e0-d01c-000000000000} What I can do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

menoscemo wrote: »
    It has happened to me before and I was hoping it would reappear after todays run but No dice...
    I have it set to delete after upload as there is no need to store them on the watch when they are on the internet. Doesn't it mess up the watches memory having loads of activities stored? I have heard you start losing the maps, splits etc...
    I would agree with RQ,get rid of auto delete and manually do a clearout every now and again when you're satisfied you have all your data uploaded. Do you happen to have Garmin Training Centre? If you have,your run will be there and you can export it to Garmin Connect.
    P.S. I see you will be my new best friend in DCM 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

rom wrote: »
    My Garmin 610 is playing up. Just back from France and now I ain't getting any Sat reception. Took nearly 10 mins in an open field today. Tried this but no go after that. I see 5/6 sats and I get an accuracy of 12ft https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={fe4a0470-a754-11e0-d01c-000000000000} What I can do ?

So I rang them and it seems I need to send it back to them. I emailed them the details. How long does this process take do you know as in how long for them to reply to the email ship etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So I rang them and it seems I need to send it back to them. I emailed them the details. How long does this process take do you know as in how long for them to reply to the email ship etc.

I think I was about three weeks without a garmin when I had to send mine back a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

I had to send my 610 back around Easter. I sent it registered the day before Goood Friday. They received the watch on the Tuesday and I had the replacement by the Friday of the same week. They shipped the unit on the Wednesday. It did seem to fast but I might have gotten lucky that they had replacements in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Hi - I posted this in another thread before seeing the megathread - so apologies for the double posting:

I received my Forerunner 110 as a gift well over a year ago - so I don't know where it was bought etc. It was working fine since I got it. The last time it worked properly was the Fingal 10K a couple of weeks ago.... well, it worked properly all through the race. Afterwards when I held in the 'reset' button the screen went mad - showing up a load of gobble-de-gook, and it froze.

I had to let the battery go dead and then re-charge it. seemed to be OK after that (Even though I lost all the Fingal 10K data) - but it was locating the satellite as normal - and showing your pace (before starting the timer).... but when I started the timer it wasn't tracking distance or pace. It was just basically an ordinary (overpriced) stopwatch!!

Anyone here know of a way to get these back working normally?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi - I posted this in another thread before seeing the megathread - so apologies for the double posting:

I received my Forerunner 110 as a gift well over a year ago - so I don't know where it was bought etc. It was working fine since I got it. The last time it worked properly was the Fingal 10K a couple of weeks ago.... well, it worked properly all through the race. Afterwards when I held in the 'reset' button the screen went mad - showing up a load of gobble-de-gook, and it froze.

I had to let the battery go dead and then re-charge it. seemed to be OK after that (Even though I lost all the Fingal 10K data) - but it was locating the satellite as normal - and showing your pace (before starting the timer).... but when I started the timer it wasn't tracking distance or pace. It was just basically an ordinary (overpriced) stopwatch!!

Anyone here know of a way to get these back working normally?
    Try a soft reset. if that doesn't work, try a hard reset (warning you will lose all data with a hard reset).

Try a soft reset. if that doesn't work, try a hard reset (warning you will lose all data with a hard reset).

Excellent - just gave the soft reset a go, and it seems to have worked. I'm in the office at the moment so can't really test it - but heading straight for a run after work so will see how it performs then.

I was on the Garmin website for ages trying to find an answer. 5 minutes on Boards and it's sorted! :pac:

Thanks again for your help!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Dear Krusty,
    I did a very important activity this morning which was 18 miles with 3 x 5k at MP. It seemed to upload as normal but then I couldn't find it in Garmin connect. I found the details still on my watch (normally the file is deleted from the watch after upload- luckily I managed to jot down the basic details). I tried a manual upload but GC could not find any new activities....so I created a false activity by starting the watch on the balcony for a minute and the ANT agent uploaded this activity as normal....I was hoping the 18 miler would get uploaded at the same time but now it is gone from the watch and not appearing on GC either. Any ideas on what I can do? Where could I maybe find the file on my laptop?
    Sorry Meno, away for a few days, so just catching up now. I also have had an uploaded activity not appear in Garmin Connect, which later appeared a few days later, so there's still hope. If the activity is still on your watch, you could try and do a [Force Send] which will upload any activities remaining on the watch, whether they were previously uploaded or not. If you can remind me of which watch you have, I can tell you how.

The other thing is that sometimes an upload to GC will fail, but the activity will still be available on your laptop. You mentioned that you tried this already, but if you do a manual upload, then select the device and select the option [Upload new activities].

Finally, you can check your hard-drive to see if the file is still there. It should be in a folder that looks like the following:
    C:\Users\<your logon username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<your device number>\History

There should be loads of files in this folder, with a .TCX extension. You just need to match up the filename with the date and time of the activity, e.g.:
    2012-07-30-080221.TCX
    would be the run I did yesterday (30th July 2012) at 8:02am.

If you find an activity that matches when you carried out the activity, then copy it to your desktop, and you can do a Manual Upload in GC and browse to this file on the desktop. Hope that helps!

• Advertisement

I think I remember reading that if you give them a deposit, they will send a replacement watch before you send them back your own watch to speed up the process. Then when they receive your watch, they refund the deposit. May be worth asking, if you're in a real hurry.

fungirl1 wrote: »
    Hi allAm training for my first marathon and need something to track distance and time. Have been using run keeper on my iPhone but:
    1 it's wildly inaccurate
    2 battery life will be an issue on long run

Am a bit of a technophobe a friend bought me a timex ironman about a year ago and I can't use it it's too complicated. Need something with gps and ideally (but not essential) would do mile splits.Thanks
    The simplest of the watches are the 110 and the 210, both of which offer mile splits. Personally I would find it hard to recommend the 110, but the 210 is supposed to be a pretty simple to use watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've had a few runs myself in the last few days that will load to Training Centre but not to Garmin Connect. There might be a bit of a problem with Connect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Finally, you can check your hard-drive to see if the file is still there. It should be in a folder that looks like the following:
    C:\Users\<your logon username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<your device number>\History

There should be loads of files in this folder, with a .TCX extension. You just need to match up the filename with the date and time of the activity, e.g.:
    2012-07-30-080221.TCX
    would be the run I did yesterday (30th July 2012) at 8:02am.

If you find an activity that matches when you carried out the activity, then copy it to your desktop, and you can do a Manual Upload in GC and browse to this file on the desktop. Hope that helps!

Thanks, Krusty, this is exactly what I was looking for when I asked the question as I had already done the other things you mentioned.
    I just got into the Garmin History folder with all the .TCX files you mention. I can see all my runs there except saturdays one :(. It appears to have disappeared for good.

Thanks for you help all the same.

The simplest of the watches are the 110 and the 210, both of which offer mile splits. Personally I would find it hard to recommend the 110, but the 210 is supposed to be a pretty simple to use watch.

Apart from the recent issue that I've had with the 110 (which seems to be sorted thanks to pressing a few buttons!) I haven't had any other trouble with it. Always worked well and I found it very simple and easy to use.

Is this particular model known for being faulty? Or is it just not as good as the alternatives?

Apart from the recent issue that I've had with the 110 (which seems to be sorted thanks to pressing a few buttons!) I haven't had any other trouble with it. Always worked well and I found it very simple and easy to use.

Is this particular model known for being faulty? Or is it just not as good as the alternatives?
    The reason I wouldn't recommend it, is that it is a little too simple. At least the 210 has intervals, so as a beginner runner, you have something to grow into, but the 110 is very much a stripped-down version of the same. Absolutely nothing wrong with it if it ticks your boxes, but if you plan on expanding your running to a little more advanced forms of training, you really have to look at another solution.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My garmin 310 is being an arse. How do I rectify this? :mad:

My garmin 310 is being an arse. How do I rectify this? :mad:
    Light a candle for the Garmin gods, and sacrifice a small puppy. Or try a hard reset. Whichever floats your boat.

Runs just aren't transferring. Have been struggling with ant usb stick for a while with laptop, not sure if the stick is faulty now or not (it is about 4 years old) but usually stuff does transfer. Yesterday and today won't transfer. Annoying.

Keeps starting to transfer then it fails.

Runs just aren't transferring. Have been struggling with ant usb stick for a while with laptop, not sure if the stick is faulty now or not (it is about 4 years old) but usually stuff does transfer. Yesterday and today won't transfer. Annoying.

Keeps starting to transfer then it fails.
    Is the ANT Agent seeing the USB stick? (In other words, does the ANT agent icon have a red line through it?).

• Advertisement

Is the ANT Agent seeing the USB stick? (In other words, does the ANT agent icon have a red line through it?).

I use a mac :pac: but it detects it, starts transferring then stops transferring - starts searching for devices again then loses it's connection to the usb stick for a second then starts searching again. Just start transferring a second ago for about 5 seconds then searched for usb stick again. Usually just taking the stick out and changing usb ports makes it work.

Edit: Yesterday it was connected and searching for decives for about 30 minutes, finally detected it and then had a 30 minute transfer time up. Then it failed half way through. Has now been searching for a device for a few minutes and cant' detect. Obviously just having one of it's hissy fits. Does that sometimes. :confused:

I use a mac :pac: but it detects it, starts transferring then stops transferring - starts searching for devices again then loses it's connection to the usb stick for a second then starts searching again. Just start transferring a second ago for about 5 seconds then searched for usb stick again. Usually just taking the stick out and changing usb ports makes it work.
    Ahh right.. Better sacrifice a whole litter of puppies then, cos I ain't got a clue. Or you could try this forum.

Ahh right.. Better sacrifice a whole litter of puppies then, cos I ain't got a clue. Or you could try this forum.

Not one of those threads is opening for me. Damn you Garmin. Damn. You.

It's transferring...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Bought last October (So still under warranty). Having problems with turning off, charging..etc

Rang Garmin, said to reset device, update lastest software & then do master reset .
    The following below has been taken from email on how to do the master reset...
    Once complete to perform the reset;
    1. Power device Off (Press and hold Light)
    2. Press Light and Lap/Reset to power device on
    3. Select Yes on Clear User Data? message
    4. Press Page/Menu to select ok and confirm reset
    The device is now reset. You will want to leave the device outside with
    a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite
    data.

Have done above (twice!) and still have runs in my history. Could this be correct???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

niteowl1, below are instructions for the master reset on the 110.

Power off the watch (press and hold Light, say Yes to prompt)
    Press and hold Start/Stop and Lap/Reset
    Once the two buttons from step 2 are pressed in, press and hold Light (You should now be holding down all three buttons)
    After the first beep, release Start/Stop
    After the second beep, release Lap/Reset
    Release Light.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

Hi there. The strap on my Forerunner 110 has snapped. Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction re getting it repaired? Anywhere I can bring it or would I have to send it off somewhere? Thanks a lot. Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Real_World?

Got myself a Garmin to track my runs.

Charging it for the very first time do you turn it on while it charges or leave it turned off while charging for the first time.

Thanks

Got myself a Garmin to track my runs.

Charging it for the very first time do you turn it on while it charges or leave it turned off while charging for the first time.

Thanks
    Doesn't really matter. When its plugged in, it will turn itself on anyway.

Not one of those threads is opening for me. Damn you Garmin. Damn. You.

It's transferring...

Randomly fixed itself that night. At about 3am the watch started beeping for the transfer. Been fine ever since. Stupid garmin. :)

• Advertisement

Randomly fixed itself that night. At about 3am the watch started beeping for the transfer. Been fine ever since. Stupid garmin. :)
    Random... Right.... I sent you a fix via satellite while you were sleeping. I'll be expecting an extra large slice of cake at the next race. ;)

Advertisement