Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Just to add to rom's comments: if you are typically running marathons in 4 to 6 hours, it is unlikely that the battery on an iPhone will last (with GPS turned on) for 4+ hour training runs/races.

Also: if you scan back through the pages in this thread, you'll find that it is littered with posts from people who have hardware related issues with their Garmin Forerunner watches. Now that's the nature of a forum like this (people only report problems), but hardware failure in an electronic device is always a risk. Buying a refurb product will only give you a three month warranty, so if a product that has previously failed (which is why it is a refurb in the first place) fails in the fourth month of ownership, then you will have no recourse. Garmin will still offer to exchange it for another refurb, but at a cost. So when looking at the savings compared to a new (1 year warranty) product, bear this in mind.

If you can buy from the US (if you know someone travelling over there, or have someone who can ship a device back to you) then prices are cheaper than refurbs, so they really do represent best value for money.

Sorry I meant Newly Overhauled (NOH) as you get a year warranty. 125 euro for a 305. Now you will be able to sell it no problem for that again in a years time as they are end of line. Just look at the price of it on ebay or amazon.co.uk. Its a excellent entry watch and will do all you want. I have been using it for the last 18 months and its excellent. see here you will get your money back so its a save buy. http://www.adverts.ie/running-track-field/garmin-305-forerunner/1293548 Some people think that its too big. you won't even notice that its on. I have just bought a 610 but I have been thinking about it for months as I was in no rush to upgrade. The sat lock was a tad annoying when I would be hanging around in the cold but its a lot of money for an good upgrade as the 405 has worse problems IMO. http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1384/garmin-forerunner-305-hr---noh http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2940/garmin-forerunner-405-heart-rate--hrm--black---noh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

rom wrote: »
    Sorry I meant Newly Overhauled (NOH) as you get a year warranty.
    In that case, it is indeed a good deal.. Did you own a 405? I've 8,500+ miles logged on mine, with very few issues. The bezel is an annoyance, but doesn't hinder operation, once you have it locked.

In that case, it is indeed a good deal.. Did you own a 405? I've 8,500+ miles logged on mine, with very few issues. The bezel is an annoyance, but doesn't hinder operation, once you have it locked.

Never owned one, used one a few times, didn't like it, didn't know you could lock the bezel but its just really a workaround for a known issue. The 610 is very pricy for a starting watch but I wanted - footpod support - no problem with bezel - being about to change recording interval - ANT scale compatability - vibrate alerts as i am listening to music also I was able to get it pretty cheap like 200 euro without HRM so why not so it was only like 70 euro more than a 405

so why not so it was only like 70 euro more than a 405
    No doubt the 610 is a better watch, but it's also a significantly more expensive watch. 405 is £130 and the 610 is £278 on Amazon.co.uk (or £100 difference on Handtec), so unless you're comparing refurbs and new watches, that 70 euro difference must have been some deal.

No doubt the 610 is a better watch, but it's also a significantly more expensive watch. 405 is £130 and the 610 is £278 on Amazon.co.uk (or £100 difference on Handtec), so unless you're comparing refurbs and new watches, that 70 euro difference must have been some deal.

Or something a tad shifty :) The 305 on handtec is a great deal at the moment for anyone thinking of getting their first watch with more than that resell value. btw Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap) is currently only 30$ US from amazon.com if you can get them to ship it. Must be a change coming in the strap I hope, been waiting for this for some time. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-accessories/2012-Garmin-Premium-Soft-Strap-Heart-Rate-Monitor-7132.44.1.html Is this a new strap ? as the old soft strap cuts my moobs so I use the polar one as its not made from cheese wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Ran the Samsung Night Run last night and have a few questions if someone knows the answers. I have a 405 for the last few years and recently I've noticed it takes longer to locate satellites and also seems to lose reception near large buildings? Is this s sign of wear and tear and is it nearing it's end? It happened a lot last night but perhaps that was the weather?

Also if running and it loses satellite does it auto correct itself when it comes back? What I mean is if it loses signal at 5 miles for 1 mile, when it gets signal back will it calculate where it is to where it was and show 6 or will it just start again at 5?

Thanks

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Ran the Samsung Night Run last night and have a few questions if someone knows the answers. I have a 405 for the last few years and recently I've noticed it takes longer to locate satellites and also seems to lose reception near large buildings? Is this s sign of wear and tear and is it nearing it's end? It happened a lot last night but perhaps that was the weather?

Also if running and it loses satellite does it auto correct itself when it comes back? What I mean is if it loses signal at 5 miles for 1 mile, when it gets signal back will it calculate where it is to where it was and show 6 or will it just start again at 5?

Thanks

Garmin's are kindof smart with this but far from perfect. 1 Mile lose would be a lot. If you don't get lock at the start of your run then it will only start from mile 2 onwards say.

Now last night I paused the garmin when I was doing laps of pitches. Now a few mins latter I realized that I had forgot to unpause it and resume it. Now garmin made a straight line between the two points even though I was doing laps. Now if I was running in a straight line from A to B I would expect my distance to auto-correct (as much as it could) but of course my time would be way out. I presume that the same would happen if you lose sat reception except the time would be more spot on as you didn't pause it but if you are not running a straight route then there would be problems.

I don't think that slow lock is down to wear and tear. It either works or it doesn't. buildings are always going to be a problem as gps is line of sight. Now if your an real geek like me you will find out where the best sats are located and then position your watch facing them for the start of your run if you are having problems. It should not be the case in much open areas as you should be able to see 4/5+ sats from most places if you can see a nice bit of sky. e.g there are more sats if you face France than if you face Iceland/Brazil. Point the direction that the sky digital dishes are I find I get best results, also keeping the watch pointed that same direction until lock help me. Could be pure in my head also :)

As rom says, it's not wear and tear. Typically you should make sure you have a low accuracy figure (look at the satellite screen) before starting your activity. Lower values are better. On my old 405, I wouldn't have started a run until it was reading under 40 feet. The watches do seem to perform more poorly over time (electronic components do fail eventually), but you shouldn't see a degraded signal. It should either work or not work, as rom pointed out.

Weather shouldn't affect GPS signals, but water gathered on the GPS unit itself (antenna) can affect its ability to receive signals, but to be honest it should be largely unnoticeable. Tall buildings will affect the watch's ability to pick up a signal and can skew results.

There are points in time when a number of people will report poor GPS signals, but that could be down to taking a 'visible' satellite offline, or the orbital patterns of the satellites (which we must remember are primarily for US military use). The European GPS satellite array isn't due to be fully functional until 2019, but should offer 1m precision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey Krusty, anywhere that you can recommend me where to buy a couple of cheap starps for my 405? I am not sure if I can fit a soft strap to it?

My strap keeps breaking and I think the superglue solution is only going to work a few more times...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey Krusty, anywhere that you can recommend me where to buy a couple of cheap starps for my 405? I am not sure if I can fit a soft strap to it?

My strap keeps breaking and I think the superglue solution is only going to work a few more times...
    This looks pretty cheap: Amazon.co.uk, but you probably need to have the order come to > £25 to get free postage. Soft strap is more expensive.

• Advertisement

This looks pretty cheap: Amazon.co.uk, but you probably need to have the order come to > £25 to get free postage. Soft strap is more expensive.

Will that soft strap fit a standard 405 ok?

I can get that one delivered for free to my Northern Address. It might be worth the investment as this is not the first strap that has broken on me :o

menoscemo wrote: »
    Will that soft strap fit a standard 405 ok?

I can get that one delivered for free to my Northern Address. It might be worth the investment as this is not the first strap that has broken on me :o
    It's listed as a 405 part on the amazon product page, and has the same part number as the soft strap listed on the Garmin 405 product accessory page (though it's listed under 'Other' rather than 'fitness parts').

I believe that 405 and 405cx straps are interchangeable (and the 405cx comes with an extra soft strap in the box), so you could always try and see if someone has a spare they're willing to part with (e.g. here, or on eBay).

I believe that 405 and 405cx straps are interchangeable (and the 405cx comes with an extra soft strap in the box), so you could always try and see if someone has a spare they're willing to part with (e.g. here, or on eBay).

you'd never know, someone might come on and offer me one ;)

I've ordered a soft strap from Amazon now anyway. Hopefully it lasts me a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kid Pablo

Kid Pablo wrote: »
    I bought a Garmin 405CX last May (May 2011) from Amazon, it worked perfectly for the first 6 months, but in December of last year i started having problems, sometimes during my runs the distance reading on the watch would stop even though i was still running but the time would continue running, the watch seemed to think i had stopped running. The lap pace would therefore get higher and higher. This happened about 4 or 5 times.

I then contacted Garmin, they told me to send my watch back to them. I did this and they sent me a "new" refurbished 405CX. I was happy enough with this outcome. But after a couple of weeks the same problem started happening again. Despite it being a different watch.

I again contacted Garmin, they again told me to return my watch. I did this but this time they sent me out a refurbished Garmin 410 watch as they had no refurbished Garmin 405 CX's in stock. I have this watch about 6 weeks now but i am still getting the same problems i had with the previous 2 watches.

I have now lost hope of Garmin Support helping me, am i doing something wrong? I run on country roads so satellite signal issues are not a problem. It seems to happen more often when i stop during a run E.G stop to use the toilet (the ditch) etc.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone solved this problem? Does anyone know how i can solve this problem?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Any takers? Could the problem be the refurbished watch? Why would all 3 watches have the same problem?

Any takers? Could the problem be the refurbished watch? Why would all 3 watches have the same problem?
    Sorry, meant to reply previously, but got side-tracked. It's crazy that three watches would have the same problem, particularly a problem that's never been mentioned in this thread before.

Do you live/train in a particularly built-up area? do you wait for a proper satellite signal before starting your workout? Do you have auto-pause switched on?

is it a flat area ?

Thanks for the reply.

No i dont have auto pause on, and the problem only happens sometimes usually well into a run when i would have full signal, i run on country roads. When i spoke to Garmin Support they also said they had never heard of the problem. Which leaves me as a possible problem. But i had my original 405CX for 6 months without any issues.

is it a flat area ?

Not particularly. Its the Carlow countryside. The problem seems to happen sometimes when i stop, then i restart running but the watch still thinks i have stopped.

Not particularly. Its the Carlow countryside. The problem seems to happen sometimes when i stop, then i restart running but the watch still thinks i have stopped.
    Stranger and stranger. Do you stop the watch when you stop?

don't know carlow. i mean car you see a lot of sky in all directions when you stop. its not a hill in the way by a chance ?

• Advertisement

Stranger and stranger. Do you stop the watch when you stop?

No never. I generally end up having to reset the watch to get it working properly again. Which is annoying, especially for shorter faster runs.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/144140073

Not sure if i copied that properly, but km number 25 of that runs shows it took me 25 minutes to run that km but i really ran about 5km in that time, The watch thought i was stopped for most of it.

No never. I generally end up having to reset the watch to get it working properly again. Which is annoying, especially for shorter faster runs.

Not sure if i copied that properly, but km number 25 if that runs shows it took me 25 minutes to run that km but i really ran about 5km in that time, The watch tought is was stopped for most of it.
    You copied it fine, however, the activity is not shared, so we cannot see it. If you can share it, we'll take a look.

You copied it fine, however, the activity is not shared, so we cannot see it. If you can share it, we'll take a look.

sorry, try it now.

Try ditching the foot-pod. I'd say it'll work fine without it. You are using a foot-pod, right?

It could be that after you take your break, the watch switches over to the foot-pod instead of GPS and it's recording some very skewed data. No harm in stopping your watch, or using auto-pause, when you're stopped either.

Try ditching the foot-pod. I'd say it'll work fine without it. You are using a foot-pod, right?

It could be that after you take your break, the watch switches over to the foot-pod instead of GPS and it's recording some very skewed data.

Yes i do. But that doesnt work properly either, not much of a loss. I will give that a go and lose the footpod. Thanks for taking the time and trying to help.

Yes i do. But that doesnt work properly either, not much of a loss. I will give that a go and lose the footpod. Thanks for taking the time and trying to help.
    It's definitely the foot-pod. If you look at the [Player] tab, you can see that the foot-pod only switches on at mile 10 (probably when you stop to do your business). Then at 13.99 miles, the foot-pod stops working altogether, and your next few miles aren't recorded at all (it's a straight line in the map, until you're back near 'Dunleckny'. Just leave it at home and it should be fine.

It's definitely the foot-pod. If you look at the [Player] tab, you can see that the foot-pod only switches on at mile 10 (probably when you stop to do your business). Then at 13.99 miles, the foot-pod stops working altogether, and your next few miles aren't recorded at all (it's a straight line in the map, until you're back near 'Dunleckny'. Just leave it at home and it should be fine.

Re : footpod, there is rarely a need to actually calibrate it. The best way to do it anyways I have found is on a treadmill. Mine went to 1004 when default is 1000. Problem I had first is that I tried to calibrate it on the road and I got 700 or so and it made my runs much shorter. You can set that GPS is priority over the footpod and you just get the cadence from it as I have but I don't really use that data so I just use it on the treadmil. The margin of error for me is like 0.01 of a km over 5km with no calibration. The instructions that come with it are pretty poor also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Anyone else got issues with Garmin Connect tonight when trying to upload runs??

belcarra wrote: »
    Anyone else got issues with Garmin Connect tonight when trying to upload runs??

Fine for me. http://www.groupschemes.com/ has free shipping from amazon.com (the US site) if you work somewhere that uses it you can get a good deal on your new garmin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Did you re-pair the watch with the HRM? Also check the battery contacts in the HRM strap.

Tried to re-pair the watch with the HRM but didn't have any luck. Battery contacts looked ok but I took out the battery and put it back in again and then it seemed to pick it up. I might have pushed the battery in too far the first time if that's possible. Anywho it working now so thanks for your help.

Advertisement