Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

On the 405, if I pressed the lap button at say 4.35 miles it wouldn't beep itself again till 5.35 miles.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Same for me (405 also)
    Before i realised this I always waited until exactly the mile before starting a tempo :rolleyes: (I have 1 mile auto lap set up), now I can start that tempo any time I want :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

On the 405, if I pressed the lap button at say 4.35 miles it wouldn't beep itself again till 5.35 miles.

Thats what I was thinking, was hoping that it would jsut put in an extra point might jsut trun off the auto lap then and hit the lap button myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I noticed my HRM strap is getting, how shall I say, quite pungent! Does anyone know if it can be washed in some way as given the cost of the yoke I'm worried about damaging it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

opus wrote: »
    I noticed my HRM strap is getting, how shall I say, quite pungent! Does anyone know if it can be washed in some way as given the cost of the yoke I'm worried about damaging it.

I have washed mine down with a soapy sponge manys a time (also no bother running it under a tap).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Give the strap a rinse under the tap after each run and it should last a bit longer before you need to call in Rent'o'kill to lay a trap for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Go running in the rain sometimes. Problem solved!
    2.5 hours in the rain last night and my Garmin smelled minty fresh (bezel wouldn't work for cr@p though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

not sure if this was covered, sorry if it has been but not long ago i encountered a problem with my 305.

durning my midweek sessions i didnt have access to a computer and such, couldnt upload my run from "day 1".
    when setting out on a run on "day 2", i started as normal but noticed that my distance was a total of "day 1s" run and "day 2s" run.

how do i clear the memory from one run before starting another. i can see this being a problem when warming up for a race, wanting to clear data(but keep it in memory) and start the race from scratch.

cheers

seanynova wrote: »
    not sure if this was covered, sorry if it has been but not long ago i encountered a problem with my 305.

durning my midweek sessions i didnt have access to a computer and such, couldnt upload my run from "day 1".
    when setting out on a run on "day 2", i started as normal but noticed that my distance was a total of "day 1s" run and "day 2s" run.

how do i clear the memory from one run before starting another. i can see this being a problem when warming up for a race, wanting to clear data(but keep it in memory) and start the race from scratch.

cheers
    On a 405 you hold the lap button at the end of your workout (or start of the next), and it resets the activity, so the next time it will kick off a new workout. I presume it's something similar on the 305. Yep, just checked the 305 manual. That seems like the right way to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

(bezel wouldn't work for cr@p though).

I remember those frustrating days! You need to get yourself a 310 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Just wanted to rock in here and say a big thank you and great thread.

Started using the garmin training centre tonight and it's just a revelation! What a great tool (now I know how to use it!).

Thanks for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Just wanted to rock in here and say a big thank you and great thread

+1 great place to sound issues out and everyones v helpful too. Tks to all the experts!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Does anybody know if there is a possible way to use the backlight on a 405cx when the bezel is locked? Now that the evenings are getting shorter is is very difficult to see the lap times in the dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

any way you can change HR monitor from the top right hand corner in small to big on the centre of a screen ( for 305 forerunner ) ?
    also i find the HR strap really annoying , always have to keep tightening it before but has started to slip off now even when tightened , can you use alternatives ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

menoscemo wrote: »
    I have washed mine down with a soapy sponge manys a time (also no bother running it under a tap).
    robinph wrote: »
    Give the strap a rinse under the tap after each run and it should last a bit longer before you need to call in Rent'o'kill to lay a trap for it.
    Go running in the rain sometimes. Problem solved!
    2.5 hours in the rain last night and my Garmin smelled minty fresh (bezel wouldn't work for cr@p though).

Cheers, I'll give it a wash later on today after my run. Going for a run in the rain just to get the strap washed seems a bit too hardcore for me mind you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Not sure if this was covered before, but when I sync my Garmin 405 with my PC it is not loading any GPS data. Is this a capacity issue? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Wilbury wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there is a possible way to use the backlight on a 405cx when the bezel is locked? Now that the evenings are getting shorter is is very difficult to see the lap times in the dark!
    I don't believe you can manually. But if I remember correctly, there is a way to get the backlight to come on automatically, after each lap. I haven't tried this, but apparently what you need to do is associate the backlight with keys and alerts, and then manually turn the light on before pressing start for your workout. So to do this:
    Menu > Settings > System > Backlight> Keys and Alerts
    Then when you're getting ready to start your workout, turn on the light (by pressing the bezel with two fingers) and click on start. It should automatically turn on the bezel any time a key is pressed, or an alert message (e.g. a lap) is recorded. If you try it, let us know if it works. Could be a handy feature for interval training for those dark wintery nights.

Seres wrote: »
    any way you can change HR monitor from the top right hand corner in small to big on the centre of a screen ( for 305 forerunner ) ?
    also i find the HR strap really annoying , always have to keep tightening it before but has started to slip off now even when tightened , can you use alternatives ?
    The data screens should be entirely customizable. I don't have a 305, but if you read page 43 of the user guide, it describes exactly how to do this. You may need to change the number of fields displayed on the screen to get it to size exactly the way you want it.

You can use alternative Garmin Heart Rate monitors, but that's about the sum of your choices.

bazman wrote: »
    Not sure if this was covered before, but when I sync my Garmin 405 with my PC it is not loading any GPS data. Is this a capacity issue? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Is it just Training Centre or is it both Garmin connect and GTC?
    Have you tried clearing the existing activities from the watch? Failing that, try to do a watch rest (Hold the start/stop and lap buttons for approximately 10 seconds). Failing that (worst case), try a master rest. This will erase all data, including personal data.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

I don't believe you can manually. But if I remember correctly, there is a way to get the backlight to come on automatically, after each lap. I haven't tried this, but apparently what you need to do is associate the backlight with keys and alerts, and then manually turn the light on before pressing start for your workout. So to do this:
    Then when you're getting ready to start your workout, turn on the light (by pressing the bezel with two fingers) and click on start. It should automatically turn on the bezel any time a key is pressed, or an alert message (e.g. a lap) is recorded. If you try it, let us know if it works. Could be a handy feature for interval training for those dark wintery nights.

Thanks a million for that advice Krusty, much appreciated. I will let you know how it works. (hope I can set it up now!:)).

Krusty - is there a backlight on the 305?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Yep. Just press the on/off button momentarily and it will come on. It also comes on when an alert is being displayed. Don't hold it in too long though...

I just checked the *cough* manual *cough* and on page six it says that if you press the power button it turns the backlight on/off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

*cough* manual *cough*

I threw that out as soon as this thread started

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Hi Everyone,

My name is Patrick_K and I'm a garmaholic.

I gave someone a loan of my 405 at lunchtime and something appears to have changed since ...
    I want to turn off GPS which I normally do by pressing and holding on 'GPS' on the bezel which brings me into the menu and I toggle GPS to on/off.

However now when I press and hold GPS it goes into 'Locating Satelites' instead of the normal menu - anyone know how I can get out of this situation ?
    I'm indoors now so it cant complete 'Locating Satelites' so maybe the menu will appear when it does, I'll try that when I'm outside.
    I tried a reset (press and hold the 2 buttons) but when it came back up it is still the same ...

Thanks
    PK

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Patrick_K and I'm a garmaholic.

I gave someone a loan of my 405 at lunchtime and something appears to have changed since ...
    I want to turn off GPS which I normally do by pressing and holding on 'GPS' on the bezel which brings me into the menu and I toggle GPS to on/off.

However now when I press and hold GPS it goes into 'Locating Satelites' instead of the normal menu - anyone know how I can get out of this situation ?
    I'm indoors now so it cant complete 'Locating Satelites' so maybe the menu will appear when it does, I'll try that when I'm outside.
    I tried a reset (press and hold the 2 buttons) but when it came back up it is still the same ...

Thanks
    PK
    You're not holding it upside down are you? :D
    What happens when you hold the right hand side of the bezel?

Maybe you need to do a master rest. :(

Hahaha - no not holding it upside own.
    Same thing happens when I hold down 'training' as I'd expect.
    I presume if I do a master reset I lose all data and have to reconfigure everything ?
    Not the worst but Ill leave it as the last resort.
    How do I do that as a matter of interest ?

PK

Yes, master reset = lose everything (all data, settings, everything). Have you tried giving it a quick rinse under a tap and drying with a cloth? The bezel can be quite finicky.

I just checked the *cough* manual *cough* and on page six it says that if you press the power button it turns the backlight on/off. :)

Whats that??;)

Hint taken.:o tks Krusty

I went outside there, hit GPS and let it find satelites to see what was happening. When it found 'em it displayed a compass type thing so I assume it's set now to use the Location functionality where it gudes you home etc. I've never used this so I don't know how it works.
    Couldnt get back to the GPS menu or turn it off.
    Will go looking in the manual to see if it tells me whats what.

PK

• Advertisement

Sorted - a simple case of RTFM once I figured out what the hell it was trying to do. Thanks for the help Krusty.

PK

Advertisement