Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Sosa wrote: »
    ok lads and lasses...heres one for ye.

I did an interval workout tonight,8*2mins with 90s recovery all set up on the garmin.
    No problem setting up or anything,its just that all i can see while running is the clock counting back from 2mins and how many reps i am doing.
    I need to see what pace i am doing the reps at...its to easy to overcook it and its pointless if you do that.

Help !

You can still press the "up" or "down" button to scroll through your "normal" display screens, where you will presumably have these fields set up already. That's what I do on the rare occasion of an interval workout. There's no need to set up simple interval workouts like this on the computer first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

But it's still giving you average pace?! Do you have Garmin Training Centre? Does the route appear in GTC?

Can you send me a TCX file from your hard-drive (for an activity that doesn't show the maps). Definitely sounds like something's screwed. Can you try installing the latest Garmin firmware if you don't have it?

Try a master reset (WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON THE WATCH):

1) Press and Hold down BOTH the Start/Stop and Lap/Reset Buttons (these are the two silver buttons on the right hand side)
    2) Keep these two buttons pressed in for 6 seconds and the screen will go blank
    3) Release the Start/Stop button (the top one) and continue to hold the Lap/Reset button for 3 additional seconds, then Release it
    4) Select ?YES? (Enter Button) to the prompt asking to clear user data
    5) This will erase ALL data and then guide you through all of the introductory menus once again

You can still press the "up" or "down" button to scroll through your "normal" display screens, where you will presumably have these fields set up already. That's what I do on the rare occasion of an interval workout. There's no need to set up simple interval workouts like this on the computer first.
    When you're running intervals at 5K pace or faster, the last thing you want to be doing is swapping between display screens, particularly on a 405, where you swap using the extremely annoying bezel. Advanced workouts include the remaining period to complete the workout step (distance/time) and the average pace.

Advanced workouts give you a lot more flexibility too. A typical workout for me will look something like:
    1. Warm-up run 3.5 miles
    2. Stretching - no target
    3. Repeat following steps x 5:
    3a. Run 0.75 miles
    3b. Recovery 2:30 minutes easy jog
    4. Stretching - no target
    5. Warm-down - run 3.5 miles.
    and of course any advanced workout you create is of course re-usable.

<rant> (not aimed at you TBF). People have in general become very technology averse, preferring to use 'one touch recording', 'simple menus' and never seem to get beyond the first level of menu systems. When did we start to dumb-down? I blame the creation of the electronic mouse and Sky PLAAAUUUSS :) </rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

I put some additional information here.
    Think I will take your advise - many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

Peterx wrote: »
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43023680

tonight's session. Garmin all over the place, lap 7 short for no reason and the overlaid loops also all over the place. What's that all about, I need to have faith in my techno toys. Bring back jones counters :)
    The displaced loops are a good example of what I was going on about, on another thread. There must have been a change in the weather (rain maybe?) that affected the sat signals. But, each measured point is offset by much the same amount, and the errors cancel out, in terms of distance measured .. more or less ... except for lap 7. Oh well. I can't explain that ... :o

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    except for lap 7. Oh well. I can't explain that ... :o
    Assuming Peterx was running at a consistent pace (pace has dropped by 25 seconds/mile for lap 7), the watch lost its satellite connection and regained it, cutting out one of the corners, possibly this one (ignore the geographic off-set):

Cutcorner.jpg

Just to reiterate, to get the best possible satellite connection, don't start running until you have a solid satellite connection (in my view accuracy should be less than 45 feet (lower numbers are better)). On a 405: Hold the left side of the bezel, and turn on GPS. Then go to the satellite menu, and don't start your activity until the satellite reads 45feet or less).

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Just to reiterate, to get the best possible satellite connection, don't start running until you have a solid satellite connection (in my view accuracy should be less than 45 feet (lower numbers are better)). On a 405: Hold the left side of the bezel, and turn on GPS. Then go to the satellite menu, and don't start your activity until the satellite reads 45feet or less).

Related and interesting article here. Or utterly boring depending on your view of the use of gadgets in running. But then if you're down on gadgets in running what are you doing reading this? Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Hi All,

Recently my HRM won't connect with my 305. All I get is an 'X' and a heart symbol on the top right of the screen.
    I thought it was the battery so changed that, but still have the same issue.

It is a couple of months since I used the HRM, but it was working fine then. Anyone have any idea what the potential issue is? I have tried resetting the HRM settings, but to no avail.

Thanks,

NT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Advanced workouts give you a lot more flexibility too. A typical workout for me will look something like:
    1. Warm-up run 3.5 miles
    2. Stretching - no target
    3. Repeat following steps x 5:
    3a. Run 0.75 miles
    3b. Recovery 2:30 minutes easy jog
    4. Stretching - no target
    5. Warm-down - run 3.5 miles.
    and of course any advanced workout you create is of course re-usable.

<rant> (not aimed at you TBF). People have in general become very technology averse, preferring to use 'one touch recording', 'simple menus' and never seem to get beyond the first level of menu systems. When did we start to dumb-down? I blame the creation of the electronic mouse and Sky PLAAAUUUSS :) </rant>

Well, you cheeky sod, I have used computers with loads of buttons when you were still crawling around in nappies and the only interval you were interested in was the time between bottle feeds, so there. And the reason why I prefer to set up the interval on the Garmin is that I can do it the minute I'm heading out of the door. On the computer, I have to do it the night before, unless it's a workout that just happens to be already on the watch. It's not dumbing down, it's using the more convenient option at the time.

Runners have in general become very soft. When did we start stretching between warm-up and the workout, ferchrissakes? I blame the creation of Runners' World. :D

Runners have in general become very soft. When did we start stretching between warm-up and the workout, ferchrissakes? I blame the creation of Runners' World. :D
    Well yasee, 'stretching' is my smokescreen. I actually use the time to position myself at the very top of a hill before my first interval. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Ugh, that's still not great. Have you checked for any firmware updates? Garmin will usually put out a few updates to fix nasty bugs over the first year.

not yet,but it is the next i must do.my buddies 110 froze today also so it wasn't a good time for the 110's lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

sorry to jump on hear , a mate has a 405 . using it inside in the gym ,how does he turn it on with out gps . thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

jwshooter wrote: »
    sorry to jump on hear , a mate has a 405 . using it inside in the gym ,how does he turn it on with out gps . thanks

Just go straight into the training mode with out GPS turned on. Will record training time and HR (if he's wearing a monitor).

xebec wrote: »
    Just go straight into the training mode with out GPS turned on. Will record training time and HR (if he's wearing a monitor).

Just to add that he can retrospectively manually enter a distance in Garmin Connect, if It's a treadmill he's using.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Recently my HRM won't connect with my 305. All I get is an 'X' and a heart symbol on the top right of the screen.
    I thought it was the battery so changed that, but still have the same issue.

The HRMs are a bit tempramental. If you open the battery cover and take the battery out, you'll see there's a little piece of metal sticking out to make connection with the battery. Sometimes this can get out of shape and fails to make connection with the battery. What you need to do is bend it slightly outwards so it gets a firmer connection.

It keeps happening to mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

That is bad. Did you wait for a good satellite signal before you began, or did you just launch into it? Jones' counters are great, but have you tried running with one attached to your wrist? You really need to attach another one to the other wrist, just to keep the weight balanced correctly. :)

sorry for late reply. I started the watch leaving the house and it ran continuously till I got home. C'est le vie - they are a great tool and much easier then a jones counter.
    On a happier note all my holiday activities somehow re-appeared on the watch (possibly as a result of my opting to clear older activities? )and after a force download are now safely on garmin connect. Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I have RTFM but can't find out how to do this.

I just want to program the watch for a ten mile run with an upper and lower limit for pace.

I can see where you can do it for HRM but can't see it for pace.

Thanks guys.:)

I just want to program the watch for a ten mile run with an upper and lower limit for pace.
    It's not actually that simple. You would need to create an advanced workout on your computer and then transfer it to the watch and it's a little fiddly. Typically for this kind of session, I would create a simple workout (on the watch) and have one of my display fields set to average pace (not lap pace) (opportunity for reprisal TBF!). This would give me an overall average pace for the full 10 miles (rather than an upper and lower limit).

But if you insist on doing it the correct way:
    1. Install Garmin Training Centre
    2. Make sure the speed zones are set up in way you want them ([user][profile for Krusty_Clown]).
    3. Make sure you have a zone which matches your upper and lower target pace, e.g.: Zone 7 - SLOW RUN - Low: 8:00/mi - High: 8:30/mi
    4. Create an advanced workout, with the following Data (replace as needed):
    When will Step end? After I go a certain distance
    How far? 10 Miles
    What is your target for this step? To keep my speed in a certain zone.
    Which Zone? 7 - SLOW RUN.
    then transfer it to the watch. It'll beep at you in a very annoying manner any time you move out of the specific zone.

It's not actually that simple. You would need to create an advanced workout on your computer and then transfer it to the watch and it's a little fiddly. Typically for this kind of session, I would create a simple workout (on the watch) and have one of my display fields set to average pace (not lap pace) (opportunity for reprisal TBF!). This would give me an overall average pace for the full 10 miles (rather than an upper and lower limit).

Thanks KC. The reason I want to do it this way is so that the alarm would go off when I start getting lazy and "armchair running" junk miles. It's one of my challenges when training to try and avoid junk miles. I'm a horror for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

What about the virtual partner thingy? Can't that be used to set a target pace?

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    What about the virtual partner thingy? Can't that be used to set a target pace?

Yes, it can but I wanted a pace range so it wasn't suitable for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I recently cleared my watch of all activities. However my garmin training centre is now also cleared of any actitivities.

The training centre uploaded all watch data automatically. Or so I thought. Any ideas? Is is the case that I've been simply viewing hte date stored on the watch rather than on my computer?

Not a total disaster as most is stored on Garmin connect.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I recently cleared my watch of all activities. However my garmin training centre is now also cleared of any actitivities.

The training centre uploaded all watch data automatically. Or so I thought. Any ideas? Is is the case that I've been simply viewing hte date stored on the watch rather than on my computer?

Not a total disaster as most is stored on Garmin connect.
    What kind of watch do you have? The info below relates to a 405:
    This is the typical sequence of steps when uploading an activity from a 405:
    1. Garmin ANT Agent detects a new activity on the watch and copies it up to the hard-drive in the form of a TCX file (something like yyyymmddhmm.tcx; where yyyymmddhmm represents the time/date of the activity)
    2. If selected in ANT Agent settings, the activity is subsequently imported into Garmin Training Centre into a master database
    3. If selected in ANT Agent settings, the activity is subsequently imported into Garmin Connect and stored online.
    4. If selected in ANT Agent settings, the activity is deleted from the watch.

There is no correlation between the watch and Garmin Training Centre. If you clear the watch, it will not impact GTC. I don't know how you may have cleared GTC, but you should still have the original history files available on your hard drive and you could re-import them.

I have three years of running data stored in my GTC (and it crashes quite often). One of these days, I must make a backup or I will lose everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Cheers Krusty. It's a 305.

I cleared all the data earlier this week. But all the info in GTC has vanished.

Ahh, right... I'm not entirely sure how/where the 305 stores its data.
    How did you delete the data from the watch? Did you go to: [History][Sport][Delete][Delete All]?

Were you previously able to view you GTC data even when the watch wasn't connected to your computer?

Have you searched your hard-drive for *.tcx?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

Long shot - my very old 201 won't charge or power on. I've followed the advice re. leaving it plugged in for hours, pressing reset etc but nothing works. Don't suppose anyone has an old one and would loan me their cradle/power supply in case mine is damaged?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Try a master reset (WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON THE WATCH):

Good news maps are back after master reset !

Good news maps are back after master reset !
    Cool. Don't forget to enter all the data again, e.g.: gender, weight, dob, sport, auto-lap, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Hey I was wondering if anyone with a Garmin knows if you can add in timing "beeps"

For example if following cool runnings couch to 5k

60 second run 90 second walking for 20 mins, is the garmin 405 capable of these sort of configs?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    Hey I was wondering if anyone with a Garmin knows if you can add in timing "beeps"

For example if following cool runnings couch to 5k

60 second run 90 second walking for 20 mins, is the garmin 405 capable of these sort of configs?
    Yeah, you could do it by creating an advanced workout on your computer using Garmin Training Centre and then upload it to the watch. Alternatively you could create an interval session on the watch, and use the following settings:
    Type=time
    Duration=00:01:00
    Rest Type=time
    Duration=00:01:30
    and just set the repetitions to match the amount of time you want to cover (8 repetitions for 20 minutes). The watch will give you a series of beeps as you go from one activity to the next.

Advertisement