Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

huskerdu wrote: »
    What would you advise ?
    Thanks
    Your synopsis is spot-on. The 405 is another option. It's smaller, but as you'll have seen from comments above, the bezel can be really annoying. Another alternative would be the 310xt, which has the added advantage of being waterproof (the other models are water resistant) but it is more costly and more suited to multi-sports.

Thats actually the main reason i'm going for the 305.
    I don't have any reason to upgrade from my 405, but if they ever brought out a model that has the functionality of the 405, in the form factor of the 110 (without the bezel) I'd consider upgrading.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and without the pink stripe of the 110.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Quick question regarding the 305.

When you go for a run, you can download it onto your PC using their program and it tracks all the details by date. My question is: Can you do more than one run in a day? If I did two runs, would the software recognise that there was two different runs or would it just put them together?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Quick question regarding the 305.

When you go for a run, you can download it onto your PC using their program and it tracks all the details by date. My question is: Can you do more than one run in a day? If I did two runs, would the software recognise that there was two different runs or would it just put them together?

It recognizes sessions so you can do as many of those as you like in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Once you press the reset button between workouts it will count them as separate, if you do more than one workout within a day then it might end up counting them as the same one though if you don't press the button between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Got any good recommendations for software to use with a Garmin 110?

Just the usuals: Garmin Connect (web), Garmin Training Centre (installed) and Sportstracks (as per Robin's link).

Cheers.

I'm now having problems trying to install the Garmin device on my machine. It's a Garmin Forerunner 110 and Windows keeps saying that the USB Device malfunctioned and is not recognised. I've tried rebooting and uninstalling via Device Manager and still no joy.

I wonder if there's some drivers or something I'm supposed to install first, but I haven't tracked down what they are yet.

I'm running Windows 7.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's any drivers required as it should just be recognised as an external storage device. Have you tried ignoring the error message and importing directly from Garmin Connect?

You could also try downloading the latest version of Training centre to see if that helps.

Just did a quick google, and found this thread where someone has the same problem.
    I have had my 110 for about a month, it's been working fine and have been able to upload to computer but yesterday when I plugged it into my computer I got the following error message "USB device not recognized" - I've got Windows 7. Spent a stack of time looking at the Garmin website and googling for answers. Tried downloading USB driver software but no joy.

If anyone has had this or a similar problem would be very appreciative of any advice.

Followed by:
    as a last ditch attempt I reset the watch, crossed my fingers and hey presto, my troubles were sorted.

Be warned: resetting your watch may erase your activities though.

No joy, Training Centre can't even see the device.

Just did a quick google, and found this thread where someone has the same problem.

Followed by:

Be warned: resetting your watch may erase your activities though.

Cheers, I've only done one workout so it doesn't matter too much. How do you reset it?

Actually, I just got it working. There was instructions in the booklet about how to reset the watch without losing the data. When I did that and re-connected it, it worked.

Cheers.

From that thread:
    1. Holding down the light key until the screen goes blank.
    2. Holding down the light key until the screen turns on.

Sounds like they have a few bugs they need to iron out in a firmware update (usually the case with new Garmin Forerunner products).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the strap on the 405. mine has disconected at one side, not sure whether i'll have to send it back for repair or whether it's something that can be fixed here?

One or two people have had those kind of problems. You could probably get it fixed in a jewelers. Certainly wouldn't be worth the expense of sending it back to Garmin. They do sell replacement straps from their site, which would be a much cheaper option (if it's not in warranty; not sure if the straps are covered?).

thanks Krusty, good idea about the jewelers, will check that out.

The pins to hold the strap to the main body are just the same as regular watch strap pins, just because of the shape of the moulding of the main 405 body it's very difficult to get at to pop them back in. Had the same problem with mine, but also the plastic of the main body has also broken in a couple of points that the pin goes through so it never held any more. Copious amounts of superglue were applied the next time I poped the pin back in again and that has held together fine since.

The little loop saying GARMIN on it that holds the dangly bit of the strap in place when wearing the watch is on it's last legs though and is about to break on mine. Will have to invest in an elastic band to replace that when it finally gives up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Anyone having issues with their Garmin Connect Dashboard. Mine seems to have calved over the weekend. Activity listing works fine

chez-moi wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with their Garmin Connect Dashboard. Mine seems to have calved over the weekend. Activity listing works fine
    Mine looks ok. Sure it's not your browser?

jfh wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the strap on the 405. mine has disconected at one side, not sure whether i'll have to send it back for repair or whether it's something that can be fixed here?

I purchased the soft velcro strap a while back and it's comes with a small tool that looks like a little fork - I change my strap every few weeks to clean the soft strap or put on the hard strap if I'm wearing when travelling - takes 2mins when you get used to it.

hi BeepBeep67, just checked that soft strap out, about €25, do you find it better than the hard plastic strap. i'd no problems with mine, running in a local 10km on saturday, not sure how i managed to break the strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

I'd love to purchase a gps watch (my head is starting to get wrecked from my stopwatch + mapmyrun.com). My budget is limited, but I've found a garmin forerunner 110 for £137 online and a Garmin 205 for €119. I just want something that will tell me how far I've gone, and how long it's taken me. Also, it needs to be fool-proof to use :o

The 110, although a bit dearer than the 205, looks like a neater watch, especially for a woman. Any advice on which to go for, or if I could pick up something similar at a cheaper price?

RubyK wrote: »
    I'd love to purchase a gps watch (my head is starting to get wrecked from my stopwatch + mapmyrun.com). My budget is limited, but I've found a garmin forerunner 110 for £130 online and a Garmin 205 for €119. I just want something that will tell me how far I've gone, and how long it's taken me. Also, it needs to be fool-proof to use :o

The 110, although a bit dearer than the 205, looks like a neater watch, especially for a woman. Any advice on which to go for, or if I could pick up something similar at a cheaper price?

If you want to keep it simple RubyK, then the 110 may be the one to go for. At that price I'm guessing that it doesn't include a heart rate monitor? You can buy one separately at any time so it's no big deal.

By the way, you can get a Forerunner 305 (including HRM) for £131 from Amazon, so that's probably a better buy than the 205 (just for comparison purposes), but both watches would be more difficult to use than the 110. The 110 doesn't support advanced features, like intervals etc, so just something to bear in mind.

Thanks for that Krusty :) Sounds like the 110 would be best for me. I'm not looking at getting a HRM yet. Just something easy to use that will tell me how far and how fast/slow I'm going!

Well, the 100 will do both of those things for you. I think it typically displays three items: Distance, lap-pace, and one other (Heart rate / time / etc). If I were you, I would have a read through the user manual and see if it's something that you could comfortably use, and meets your needs, before parting with your hard-earned dollah's.

Thanks again Krusty, I'll have a look at that link now.

• Advertisement

jfh wrote: »
    hi BeepBeep67, just checked that soft strap out, about €25, do you find it better than the hard plastic strap. i'd no problems with mine, running in a local 10km on saturday, not sure how i managed to break the strap.

I find it very comfortable and you don't have the issue of falling between 2 sizes, but it's not pretty looks like it was designed by Stevie Wonder, so if I'm travelling and only want to bring one watch I put the hard strap back on. BTW you get 2 straps for your €25 a long and a short - I swapped my short one with someone else so I have 2 long ones.

Advertisement