Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not compared it properly, but the GPS accuracy is probably pretty similar between an Android phone and a GPS in a watch. My main issue with it would be that it's a bigger thing to carry than the watch, but if your carrying your phone anyway, for tunes or safety, then it makes sense. More awkward to start and stop the timer on a phone, but again not really a biggie. I did use a Nokia app GPS ages ago briefly before upgrading to a Garmin, but that is now dropped by Nokia anyway I believe.

I do have Handy Runner Lite on my phone which just links in with my running log on runningahead.com, there is also a bigger version of the app that will actually record activities and upload them to you log for you as well from the phone, Handy Runner, but I've not used that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Well the phone is handy to have for music anyways. Getting a proper holder for the phone for my upper arm so it should make it a bit more comfortable to use. Will sure do better then the DIY job i did with some velcro yesterday!

Makes more sense to me anyways to use the phones GPS then splash out on a garmin.

How is runningahead.com as opposed to MapMyRun if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

This happens to me on a regular basis with my Garmin 305, and hoping there is a way around it.
    I go for a cycle, press the stop button when finished, then the next time i use my 305 for a run, I set to activity to running, start that, but when I get home and upload to the training center the section the activities are asigned to seems random - for example, sometimes they uploaded into the correct sport, sometimes into multisport even thou these could be days\weeks apart. Only way i think to get around it is to hit the reset button for 3 seconds before each outing, but sometimes I forget (and then can't move the run to Running...):confused:
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

SucCes09 wrote: »
    This happens to me on a regular basis with my Garmin 305, and hoping there is a way around it.
    I go for a cycle, press the stop button when finished, then the next time i use my 305 for a run, I set to activity to running, start that, but when I get home and upload to the training center the section the activities are asigned to seems random - for example, sometimes they uploaded into the correct sport, sometimes into multisport even thou these could be days\weeks apart. Only way i think to get around it is to hit the reset button for 3 seconds before each outing, but sometimes I forget (and then can't move the run to Running...):confused:
    Any ideas?

Sounds to me like you're not finishing the workouts correctly. You mention holding the reset button before you go out, you should be doing this at the end of each workout for it to be stored correctly and hopefully uploaded correctly. (I'm not a 305 user, but sounds similar to 405)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My Garmin 305 is not turning on at all :(
    It's been a bit flaky recently when connecting to my laptop, but I'd blamed the old laptop. Yesterday evening after my run I tried connecting it but it wasn't picked up (didn't beep, didn't say it was charging, didn't open training centre). This morning, it won't switch on. Nor will it connect to my computer in work.
    This is probably a job for Garmin (and it's less than six months old, so should be covered by warranty)... but I have faith in Krusty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Try pressing the "mode" and "lap/reset" buttons simultaneously to reset the unit.

It happened to me a couple of times, and the above procedure always brought it back to life so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

RayCun wrote: »
    My Garmin 305 is not turning on at all :(
    It's been a bit flaky recently when connecting to my laptop, but I'd blamed the old laptop. Yesterday evening after my run I tried connecting it but it wasn't picked up (didn't beep, didn't say it was charging, didn't open training centre). This morning, it won't switch on. Nor will it connect to my computer in work.
    This is probably a job for Garmin (and it's less than six months old, so should be covered by warranty)... but I have faith in Krusty!

Hmm.. Sounds like it's posessed.
    Mumble, mumble.. Demons be gone! Mumble, mumble..
    Now if you turn it back on again, I think you'll find it's been cured fixed.
    Damn it, I don't have magic powers.

Like Chris O'Dowd from the IT Crowd might suggest - have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?
    205/305 only: You can try a soft reset. Press mode and reset. Then try to power on while plugged in.

A hard reset will delete all your data and settings from the Forerunner. Press the Power and the Mode button until the unit comes on and asks if you want to erase all user data. Select Yes.

If the above won't work, try a hard reset that by-passes the confirmation screen. Press Mode, Reset and Power.

Finally, you can try to reload the firmware to the device. Download the latest firmware from Garmin's web site. Plug the Forerunner into the computer. Press and hold the UP Arrow. Press the power button to power the unit on. Continue to hold the up arrow. Run the firmware upgrade. Continue to hold the up arrow through the entire upgrade.

No joy - can't turn it on to reset it, firmware updater can't find it if it isn't turned on...

... <sadly takes his Krusty poster down from the wall> ...

RayCun wrote: »
    No joy - can't turn it on to reset it, firmware updater can't find it if it isn't turned on...
    You don't need to turn it on to reset it. It's a low-level function.

It's just not reacting at all

• Advertisement

Either wait for the battery to run down, and plug it back in (and hope that this resolves the issue) and/or contact Garmin support, and shred the Krusty poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Don't know if the 305 is the same but when my 405 acts the maggot I have to hold the buttons down for "ages" to reset it. Numerous attempts holding them for the few recommended seconds were getting me nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

what are the main differences between 110 and 405.

Going to be using it for running for the rest of this year and triathlons next year !

what are the main differences between 110 and 405.

Going to be using it for running for the rest of this year and triathlons next year !
    Discussed at length before: here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

raycun, my 405 packed in less than 6 mths too, same symthons too.
    no questions asked by garmin, just post it on, got a refurbished one, enquired what the issue was and they advised that they just replace them. so no idea

305 for 160 dollars, good deal ?

Yep, as long as it's new and not refurbished.

Its in BestBuy so i'd say it brand new.

130 sterling is the besti can find on Amazon but off to the states next week so BestBuy would suit to be honest.

Oh and can the software be downloaded as i use a mac mainly but have a netbook so no cd/dvd drive in it to load software.

Its in BestBuy so i'd say it brand new.

130 sterling is the besti can find on Amazon but off to the states next week so BestBuy would suit to be honest.

Oh and can the software be downloaded as i use a mac mainly but have a netbook so no cd/dvd drive in it to load software.
    Yep. It surely can. They also have Mac compatible software. You'd better bring me back something nice. :)

Yep. It surely can. They also have Mac compatible software. You'd better bring me back something nice. :)

I can get you something here ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Got mine for 169 on Pixmania :)

What a cracking device :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

My 405 works fine except just after a run where it goes mental (either responds with a million beeps or doesnt respond to 'taps' at all) if i go near it to try and get run info. When i leave it alone for 20 minutes it starts to behave itself again :confused:

My 405 works fine except just after a run where it goes mental (either responds with a million beeps or doesnt respond to 'taps' at all) if i go near it to try and get run info. When i leave it alone for 20 minutes it starts to behave itself again :confused:
    That's caused by sweat on the bezel. It's very frustrating, particularly in the middle of an interval session. One of the advantages of the 305, 310, 110 etc, is that they don't use this 'feature'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Any one else have problems with there 305 regarding after charge the very odd time it wont turn on for a day or two?
    Happened again to me today for second time in 3 months but now working grand again i just tried to reset it and it turned on but didnt actually reset

ecoli wrote: »
    Any one else have problems with there 305 regarding after charge the very odd time it wont turn on for a day or two?
    Happened again to me today for second time in 3 months but now working grand again i just tried to reset it and it turned on but didnt actually reset
    Have you tried any of the reset options listed above?

Have you tried any of the reset options listed above?

Yes thats how i got it working this time ( the first time it just started working again after a day or two. I am just wondering is this a common glitch or a faulty product. I have it since x mas but would use it for anything between 1-3 hours everyday so i prob use it more than the average user?

ecoli wrote: »
    Yes thats how i got it working this time ( the first time it just started working again after a day or two. I am just wondering is this a common glitch or a faulty product. I have it since x mas but would use it for anything between 1-3 hours everyday so i prob use it more than the average user?
    Have you updated to the latest firmware? If you are running the latest firmware and it keeps occurring, I would consider sending it back to them before the warranty expires (e.g. pick a time that suits, but before the 12 month warranty is up). Usage really shouldn't make any difference at all (as long as the battery has charge).

Have you updated to the latest firmware? If you are running the latest firmware and it keeps occurring, I would consider sending it back to them before the warranty expires (e.g. pick a time that suits, but before the 12 month warranty is up). Usage really shouldn't make any difference at all (as long as the battery has charge).

No i dont usually hook it up to the computer except for charging it. It seems to charge grand (even when i got it working today after been charging for the night it had a full charge) It only happens rarely like twice since i have got it.
    Might look into updating the firmwares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Great thread.

I am on the verge of buying my first Garmin and I am so excited. I do love measuring things. From what I have read, I think the 305 is what I want.
    Would like opinions from the regular users.

I currently run 2-3 times a week, for 40 to 50 minutes at a regular pace of 6min per km. Slowly increasing my weekly milage and maximum LSR distance.

I am happy enough with this, with no great ambition to go beyond 10K this year but I have started doing intervals and core strengthing exercises and I am getting much stronger as a result.

I want the Garmin to do the basic distance/time/HR stuff for the entire run and for intervals. But, I dont want to limit myself to a very basic model and be unhappy with it in a year if I continue to improve and do more.

My impression is that the 305 would be suitable and is in my price range,
    on amazon. The 110 is much smaller and nicer looking but seems light on features.

What would you advise ?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

That's caused by sweat on the bezel. It's very frustrating, particularly in the middle of an interval session. One of the advantages of the 305, 310, 110 etc, is that they don't use this 'feature'.

Thats actually the main reason i'm going for the 305.

Advertisement