Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Sorted - a simple case of RTFM once I figured out what the hell it was trying to do. Thanks for the help Krusty.

PK
    No bother. I presume it was navigating back to home, or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Yep looked like it was doing something like that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭WUFF

Hi
    Advice needed... would like to run a Marathon next year and plan to start training now using the Hal Higdon novice programme.

Having trouble measuring distance as am currently running off road on Canal and cross country track...was thinking of getting a Gps to track distance ect, any advice on type,model ect appreciated.
    Price would also be an issue...dont really want top end something realiable that will measure distance accruately will be enough.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Patrick_K wrote: »
    I went outside there, hit GPS and let it find satelites to see what was happening. When it found 'em it displayed a compass type thing so I assume it's set now to use the Location functionality where it gudes you home etc. I've never used this so I don't know how it works.
    Couldnt get back to the GPS menu or turn it off.
    Will go looking in the manual to see if it tells me whats what.

PK

That can be a handy feature, sometimes when abroad if I park somewhere unfamilar, youy can save a location in the GPS settings and then the compass with navigate you back, useful obviously when running in the woods, etc. Press the quit (4 o'clock) button to exit that mode.

WUFF wrote: »
    Hi
    Advice needed... would like to run a Marathon next year and plan to start training now using the Hal Higdon novice programme.

Having trouble measuring distance as am currently running off road on Canal and cross country track...was thinking of getting a Gps to track distance ect, any advice on type,model ect appreciated.
    Price would also be an issue...dont really want top end something realiable that will measure distance accruately will be enough.
    If you're only starting out, then a GPS watch is a significant expenditure, particularly if you're on a tight budget. These devices aren't cheap, so you're better off seeing if you can survive without one first. You could look at cheaper alternatives, such as:
    a) A cheap pedometer that will give you an approximation of distance travelled
    b) A combination of a stopwatch with lap-counter, and Mapmyrun to measure your distance.

If the above doesn't work for you and you are convinced a GPS watch is the way to go, try and pick up a Garmin Forerunner 305, either second hand, or via eBay (US). The 305 represents the best value/feature set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭WUFF

Ok Thanks for that...Had a look at mapmyrun and its given me a good idea of the distance on a number of routes...will keep the money in the wallet for a while more.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Got my FR110 yesterday, great piece of kit for a novice like myself

zAbbo wrote: »
    Got my FR110 yesterday, great piece of kit for a novice like myself
    Cool. Wouldn't mind giving one a go at some stage, just to see how it compares (how long it takes to get a satellite lock, GPS accuracy). How much did you pay for it? (if you don't mind me asking?).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Got it on Amazon for £154.35 and I've the premium soft strap as well.

Sats picked up in around 20secs, I only had it out on a test run last night - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45113372

I found it cheaper on Hantec, but there customer service didn't respond to anything I sent them so I stuck with Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Wilbury wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there is a possible way to use the backlight on a 405cx when the bezel is locked? Now that the evenings are getting shorter is is very difficult to see the lap times in the dark!
    I don't believe you can manually. But if I remember correctly, there is a way to get the backlight to come on automatically, after each lap. I haven't tried this, but apparently what you need to do is associate the backlight with keys and alerts, and then manually turn the light on before pressing start for your workout. So to do this:
    Menu > Settings > System > Backlight> Keys and Alerts
    Then when you're getting ready to start your workout, turn on the light (by pressing the bezel with two fingers) and click on start. It should automatically turn on the bezel any time a key is pressed, or an alert message (e.g. a lap) is recorded. If you try it, let us know if it works. Could be a handy feature for interval training for those dark wintery nights.

Thanks Krusty, I followed your instructions and sure enough, every mile the watch lit up. It is far better than turning it on manually every mile and, more often than not, losing the screen you are monitoring. Your help is much appreciated!

• Advertisement

Wilbury wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty, I followed your instructions and sure enough, every mile the watch lit up. It is far better than turning it on manually every mile and, more often than not, losing the screen you are monitoring. Your help is much appreciated!

No bother. I tried it myself and it worked grand. Handy enough as we head back into dark winter evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Does anyone know if you have do antyhing special to setup auto synch?

When I bring the watch to the dongle I have to open the CTC and manually get the details from the watch or manually send to the watch

ntlbell wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have do antyhing special to setup auto synch?

When I bring the watch to the dongle I have to open the CTC and manually get the details from the watch or manually send to the watch
    CTC? Training Centre? What type of watch do you have?

CTC? Training Centre? What type of watch do you have?

Sorry about that krusty, very lazy.

I have a 405 it says in the manual to bring the watch to near the usb stick and it should automatically transfer data.

I open up the traning centre and go file > recieve from device

or file > send to device.

It doesn't seem to just happen if I put the watch near automatically.

Hoppe I'm making a bit more sense :pac:

Yep. that sounds unusual. Obviously the data transfer is working fine, if you can do it manually, so it must be a software issue.

I don't have the Ant Agent software installed on this machine. Can you right click the Ant agent and go into settings, and see if the two settings for auto-transfer are enabled? Should look something like this but with options for both Garmin Connect and training centre:

getting-started-ant-windows-05.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

hi fellow garmin users,
    this is a useful thread, i've got a query about intervals that i hope someone might be able to answer. Got a replacement 405 after the first packed it in after just 6 months.this isssue seems only to be a problem with the new watch. so might be set-up
    when i set up intervals, say 5 reps, the alarm does not signal the end of the session. for instance last night, doing 12 * 400m, was completely wrecked for the last one, running away and waiting for the last beep to signal end of session and it never comes. it's very frustrating, eventually stopped and checked watch and i was closer to 500m and still no alarm.
    anyone else experience this.
    thanks

jfh wrote: »
    when i set up intervals, say 5 reps, the alarm does not signal the end of the session. for instance last night, doing 12 * 400m, was completely wrecked for the last one, running away and waiting for the last beep to signal end of session and it never comes. it's very frustrating, eventually stopped and checked watch and i was closer to 500m and still no alarm.
    anyone else experience this.
    thanks
    Hi jfh, do you have it set up for a warm-down? Maybe if you did it might give you signal beeps to transition into your warm-down (you don't actually have to do the warm-down (though you probably should!). I always set-up my intervals as an advanced workout on Garmin Training Centre, and then transfer it over to the watch, so haven't run into the problem you describe.

Yep. that sounds unusual. Obviously the data transfer is working fine, if you can do it manually, so it must be a software issue.

I don't have the Ant Agent software installed on this machine. Can you right click the Ant agent and go into settings, and see if the two settings for auto-transfer are enabled? Should look something like this but with options for both Garmin Connect and training centre:

Excellent, I'll look at this when I get home, thanks for the pointer

That was it krusty, cheers!

ntlbell wrote: »
    That was it krusty, cheers!
    You get home by three o'clock on a Friday? :eek:
    <jealous>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

krusty, you should be gettin tech support wages from garmin. I have a warm down set to yes, so that's not it. might search for a software update on watch. know you use the garmin training center, i have gone into that yeat usually go into advanced work-outs on the watch.
    will have a look when i get home and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just to keep this thread bumped:
    Can anyone (krusty) tell me where I can buy a new Battery for my HRM strap?

I am assuming the HRM is a bit bajaxed, it always had a spike at the start of the run (standard) but lately it is jumping from 170+- 140ish in the space of a few seconds while at an easy pace.
    Is a new battery likely to solve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

No harm in replacing the battery - they are pretty standard, I think a CR2025 or CR2032, you can pick them up in Watch Shops, Tesco, Garages, Pharmacies, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

It could also be a loose connection. Sth similar happened me and I took the battery out and pulled the prong forward, put battery back in and hopefully that will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

If you're only starting out, then a GPS watch is a significant expenditure, particularly if you're on a tight budget. These devices aren't cheap, so you're better off seeing if you can survive without one first. You could look at cheaper alternatives, such as:
    a) A cheap pedometer that will give you an approximation of distance travelled
    b) A combination of a stopwatch with lap-counter, and Mapmyrun to measure your distance.

If the above doesn't work for you and you are convinced a GPS watch is the way to go, try and pick up a Garmin Forerunner 305, either second hand, or via eBay (US). The 305 represents the best value/feature set.
    Hey Krusty, no real mention of the Garmin 110 Forerunner. Any verdict? Need pace/mile and the alarm function for over/under your pace.
    Also, are all HRM strapped around the chest or is there some in the phone, no real interest in this option though.

jaytobe wrote: »
    Hey Krusty, no real mention of the Garmin 110 Forerunner. Any verdict? Need pace/mile and the alarm function for over/under your pace.
    Also, are all HRM strapped around the chest or is there some in the phone, no real interest in this option though.
    Well I don't have one, but others who do, speak well of them. TBH, it's a cut-down 405, with less functionality, and a bigger price tag. While it would be nice to have the slightly smaller form factor(and no touch sensitive bezel!) it's missing a lot of functionality that I would use regularly.

All Garmin HRMs are strapped around the chest. Anything else would be even less acurate than the already flakey Garmin HRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I thought you were on the beach!?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The clown support service is never off duty:

istockphoto_8526925-business-clown-typing-on-laptop.jpg

I tried to find a clown on a beach with a laptop, but Google failed me.

Psyching myself up for a very very hot hill run. :rolleyes:
    The Garmin line is 24x7. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Using this ( http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/health/imapmyrun_hyke.html ) as a substitute to a Garmin. Any opinions on its accuracy or any other android apps that work well?

Advertisement