Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

You can only import into Garmin Connect one activity at a time, but you should be able to import multiple activities into Training Centre.

Go to SportsTracks report view and mark the activities or period you want to export and export them to a fitlog file. Convert the fitlog file to a TCX using TCX Converter and then import it into Training Centre.

is connect the online one? or if it's not can I get the info into the online one once I get it into connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

glasso wrote: »
    is connect the online one? or if it's not can I get the info into the online one once I get it into connect?
    Connect is the online one. Training Centre is the Win32/MacOS application.
    You can upload to Garmin Connect, but only one activity at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

Over the past week or two my Forerunner 310xt has been consistently registering HR levels of 220+ Bpm on normal workouts. I have replaced the battery and cleaned the sensors.

The HR unit is 18months old.

What might the problem be?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Hi guys,

How accurate are the Garmin's? Bought a forerunner 210 last week and ran the Dublin City Marathon today and it recorded 26.49 miles. I didn't expect it to be perfect. But 0.3 miles is still a good bit of an error in my eyes.

I'd be interested in your views.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

How accurate are the Garmin's? Bought a forerunner 210 last week and ran the Dublin City Marathon today and it recorded 26.49 miles. I didn't expect it to be perfect. But 0.3 miles is still a good bit of an error in my eyes.

Thanks

Every race I have ever done was longer than the distance. Only the elites take a straight line through corners. At one point today I was the only person on the side of the road with the corner. I also measured 26.47 today but don't doubt that the course was accurate.

• Advertisement

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks
    That's around a 4.9% difference, which would be within the expected margin for error. Throw in the fact that you may not have run a very good race line and your looking at a pretty typical result. Throw in the fact that you bought a model of Garmin with a pretty old GPS chipset, and that's going to skew the results a little bit further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

That's around a 4.9% difference, which would be within the expected margin for error. Throw in the fact that you may not have run a very good race line and your looking at a pretty typical result. Throw in the fact that you bought a model of Garmin with a pretty old GPS chipset, and that's going to skew the results a little bit further.

Your maths are a little off there KC - its only 1% "error". My Garmin measured 26.44, I wouldn't expect it to read any less and always assume I will run 26.5 miles according to the garmin and set my pace target taking this into account. The 1% "error" in this case is not error, its mostly from not running the shortest possible route.

People severly underestimate the distance added by not running the SPR. If you run on someones shoulder for a marathon on a 400m track you will 800m extra to the person inside you. Theres a similar effect everytime you round a corner in the marathon running 2,3 abreast and don't immediately cut a straight line to the apex of the next corner.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Your maths are a little off there KC - its only 1% "error".
    That's what you get for doing simple maths after a skinful of beer. :) You're bang on. 1% could quite easily be accounted for by racing line. Even running a perfect racing line, you would expect a Garmin (or other GPS-based watch) to have that level of error. The technology just isn't advanced enough (in a small factor affordable watch).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I think also there is a 1 in 1000 factor added to ensure courses are never short, so in theory the Marathon is 42.2 mts long even if running the shortest racing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Garmin 405 has been idle and out of charge since injury in June. Now that I am making a comeback I charged it up but I cant get the date or time to change from June. I pressed the two buttons to reset as when it crashes but this just restarted with the data exactly as it was.
    Any ideas what to try?
    I even hope the clock change at the weekend might give it a kick in the aras. NO joy.

• Advertisement

Garmin 405 has been idle and out of charge since injury in June. Now that I am making a comeback I charged it up but I cant get the date or time to change from June. I pressed the two buttons to reset as when it crashes but this just restarted with the data exactly as it was.
    Any ideas what to try?
    I even hope the clock change at the weekend might give it a kick in the aras. NO joy.
    Take it outside! It reads date and time from the satellite signals, so let it synch up for a few minutes with GPS turned on, and it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

I think my 305 has had enough abuse and given up on me but just in case anybody has any ideas. It acquires the satellite signal, little slower than normal, but still gets it. Then when I start running it doesn't give a pace reading and even in the wide open spaces of the curragh it intermittently loses the signal and gives a "lost satellite reception" message, so while it is still giving a distance reading its completely off. Tried the master reset with no luck and the garmin website is telling me there is no updates for the device. :confused:

ronnie085 wrote: »
    I think my 305 has had enough abuse and given up on me but just in case anybody has any ideas. It acquires the satellite signal, little slower than normal, but still gets it. Then when I start running it doesn't give a pace reading and even in the wide open spaces of the curragh it intermittently loses the signal and gives a "lost satellite reception" message, so while it is still giving a distance reading its completely off. Tried the master reset with no luck and the garmin website is telling me there is no updates for the device. :confused:
    Sorry, it sounds like it's knackered. Time to get in touch with Garmin.

Thanks Krusty, think its time to put it out of its misery alright, being acting up a bit in the last while. Invested if thats the word in a 610 yesterday, overpriced I know, trying to justify it to myself at the moment, oh the guilt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

The 610 looks great, that's enough to justify buying it :)

What do you think of it so far? I have the 305 at the minute, have had it for over 2 years now and it's still working great, so I can't justify getting the 610.

What's it like in terms of size? I wear glasses but don't bother with them when I run, are the figures as big as those on the 305? (which I can easily read when running)

*edit, just read this review. I want it, I want it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Has anybody followed the runners world Garmin programme/ download? Do I need to get a separate garmin device for my running shoes to measure pace :confused:

hatful wrote: »
    Has anybody followed the runners world Garmin programme/ download? Do I need to get a separate garmin device for my running shoes to measure pace :confused:
    What kind of Garmin watch do you have? *Edit*: You do have a Garmin watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

What kind of Garmin watch do you have? *Edit*: You do have a Garmin watch?

Yep I have a 305.

hatful wrote: »
    Yep I have a 305.
    In that case, no you don't need a separate device for your running shoes to measure pace. Your watch will do the job just fine. Just go to the Data Fields screen, and enable one of the pace fields, e.g.
    Pace
    Pace Average
    Pace Lap

cloneslad wrote: »
    The 610 looks great, that's enough to justify buying it :)

What do you think of it so far? I have the 305 at the minute, have had it for over 2 years now and it's still working great, so I can't justify getting the 610.

What's it like in terms of size? I wear glasses but don't bother with them when I run, are the figures as big as those on the 305? (which I can easily read when running)

*edit, just read this review. I want it, I want it now!

Only recieved it on monday, still playing with it, very impressed so far, touch screen works great, HRM doesn't seem to spike, yet. The watch itself would pass as a normal watch sizewise and while the figures are smaller than the 305 its not by much, happy with my purchase so far :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

The mrs is looking for one of these, now she's only running a little while so would just look for the entry level one. How much would this cost?

jester1980 wrote: »
    The mrs is looking for one of these, now she's only running a little while so would just look for the entry level one. How much would this cost?
    Have a look at this thread. The Garmin 305 is around a similar price, but has far more advanced functionality (but comes in a significantly larger form factor).

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shellda1

Hi, the hrm with my 310xt has just stopped working completely. Its 11months old and im wondering can i change the battery in the transmitter myself to see that will fix it or am i better off sending it back to were i bought it from(online)? I just dont want to be without it for weeks if i send it away, any thoughts? Cheers

PS Its the premium soft strapped HRM

shellda1 wrote: »
    Hi, the hrm with my 310xt has just stopped working completely. Its 11months old and im wondering can i change the battery in the transmitter myself to see that will fix it or am i better off sending it back to were i bought it from(online)? I just dont want to be without it for weeks if i send it away, any thoughts? Cheers

PS Its the premium soft strapped HRM
    Change it yourself. It's easy as P1ss and only takes a minute or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

shellda1 wrote: »
    Its 11months old and im wondering can i change the battery in the transmitter myself to see that will fix it

11 months is about the norm for a battery. You can buy a CR2032 replacement battery in any jewellers and also in a lot of shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Does anyone know if it is possible to edit or delete splits after an activity is finished on garmin connect?

I was looking back on my dublin marathon data only to realise I forgot to stop activity until nearly 35 mins after i crossed the finish line, so mu splits are nearly even ten min miles the hole way and then the last 2 mile splits are nearly 20 mins each as i was walking around at a leisurely pace after.

Its kinda mucked up the data and gives the distance as 28.xx and the time as 4.49 even though i ran a sub 4.30.

So any way to edit this and delete the last 2 splits from the activity either on the watch its self or on garmin conect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

subscriber wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to edit or delete splits after an activity is finished on garmin connect?

I was looking back on my dublin marathon data only to realise I forgot to stop activity until nearly 35 mins after i crossed the finish line, so mu splits are nearly even ten min miles the hole way and then the last 2 mile splits are nearly 20 mins each as i was walking around at a leisurely pace after.

Its kinda mucked up the data and gives the distance as 28.xx and the time as 4.49 even though i ran a sub 4.30.

So any way to edit this and delete the last 2 splits from the activity either on the watch its self or on garmin conect?

You need to export the data from Garmin connect and hand edit it.

Its messy but possibe. Not too hard if you are used to the file format ( xml).

Give it a go and come back and ask for specific advice if you cant manage it.

Search back in this thread for xml / export from garmin connect etc and you might get more detailed advice. This has been covered a few times.

heres instruction from Krusty from post #301.

1. Export it from Garmin Connect
    2. Open it in a text editor (preferably something that understands XML tags).
    3. Remove all of the erroneous data. In your case, all <trackpoints> after the time: <Time>2010-09-11T11:00:08Z</Time>
    4. Finally, I had to edit the overall lap time, which was showing 647 seconds, or something. So I edited it to show 321 seconds (start of your lap to the last trackpoint).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 shellda1

Gringo78 wrote: »
    11 months is about the norm for a battery. You can buy a CR2032 replacement battery in any jewellers and also in a lot of shops.

Cheers lads changed the battery myself wen i eventually found a screwdriver small enough! Back working a treat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The 110 is 123 sterling on Amazon, is that the best value around ?

Advertisement