Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

My 110 is being a bit of a retard these days. I'm starting my run with the pace on the screen and everythings fine, until i look down at the watch after a minute or 2 of running to see the pace field blank and the distance at 0.00 mls. It gets the signal back after another minute or so but the average pace of the run is skewed and incorrect. Not the end of the world for a training run but it could really hamstring me in a race. Anyone else have this problem?

Btw, I usually start my run in an open area, away from large trees and buildings.

The same thing has happened to me a few times. I can loose a couple of mins of distance on some runs. The time is showing correctly but distance or pace doesn't show up, which really messes up the first mile pacing wise. Getting very frustrated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

What type of watch christieb?

4-zero-cinq

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

christeb wrote: »
    4-zero-cinq
    We've had no issues with Wndows Sept synching with a 405. Did you have any problems installing the ANT agent? Did you pair the watch with the USB stick?

How does it fail/bum out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

It may be that the new feature for creating courses in Garmin Connect uses a lot more trackpoints than the method you are using Micilin Muc. The GC feature allows you to devise a route aligned with existing roads. However because the watch has no knowledge of the aforementioned 'roads', it could be storing a trackpoint (or waypoint) every 50ms, which might take up a lot more storage space than your method of creating them in gpsies and sending via GTC.

subscriber: you gotta remember, these devices are not designed for navigation, and it is more of an after-thought rather than the core functionality of the watch.

How do you use this functionality Micilion Muc? Do you upload routes when you don't know where you are going, or on a general workout basis? Do you often find yourself 'off-track' according to the watch, despite following the correct line?

I uploaded a 12 mile course yesterday (to play with the feature) and despite showing me the correct directions (compass) for the route, it never registered that I had hit the start of the course, so by the time I had finished my run, I still had '12 miles left to go'.

I use it on trail runs in places I'm not too familiar with. It's highly dependant on me accurately tracking the run on gpsies which I figure out with the satellite view and with maps from coillteoutdoors etc. When I stick to the course on the watch, it works very well and lets me know if I'm off-course.

I always bring a map and compass with me anyway!

What watch were you using? On my 305 I select the course, choose Do Course, and then press the Mode button to see the map. I can zoom in or out with the up and down buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Here's a link to a course I've got mapped out for this weekend on gpsies.com. There are 390 track points on this course which is an average of one track point every 75 metres.

• Advertisement

What watch were you using? On my 305 I select the course, choose Do Course, and then press the Mode button to see the map. I can zoom in or out with the up and down buttons.
    The 405 doesn't have a bread-crumb feature like the 305. It offers you a compass, and that's about it. If I do sign-up for the Art O'Nell challenge, first step will be to get my hands on a 305!

Nice route by the way. I've done the DMW from Tallaght to Rathmichael before, but I stuck with the more traditional map!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

My brand new 305 is acting up allready.. Trying to set pace alerts today, was setting fast pace alert at 9.3 min/mile and slow pace alert at 10.3 min/mile.

But the watch kept changing the fast alert to 9.17.. I went back through the menu to change it back to 9.3 and started running again after a few min noticed something still wasent right.. went back into the menu only to see fast alert was still at 9.3 but this time slow pace alert was changed to 10.17??

Soo confused.. changed both the alerts two or three times but they kept alternating back and forth one changing to xx.17 based on which i set one last.. eg - if I set slow pace alert last.. that would be the one to switch to xx.17.

This happen to anyone else before?? Cant figure it out.. Is it possible to reset the watch somehow.. disappointed this is happening considering the watch is only out of the box a week....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

subscriber wrote: »
    But the watch kept changing the fast alert to 9.17.. I went back through the menu to change it back to 9.3 and started running again after a few min noticed something still wasent right.. went back into the menu only to see fast alert was still at 9.3 but this time slow pace alert was changed to 10.17??

.3 of a minute is 17 seconds, I'm guessing that's the problem here.

RayCun wrote: »
    .3 of a minute is 17 seconds, I'm guessing that's the problem here.

but if I change the alert to for example 9.3 min / mile would that not be 9 min 30 secs per mile ....

I just checked it there again...

If i go to alerts page im setting fast for 09.30 and slow to 10.30 .. i press done on both.. exit to main screen go back into check and fast alert has changed itself to 8.56 this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

but if I change the alert to for example 9.3 min / mile would that not be 9 min 30 secs per mile ....

I haven't tried setting these alerts myself, but if you are setting .3 of a minute that is 18 seconds. Easy way to check - can you set the alert for 9.7 minutes?

Looking at the manual, you should probably set up the pace/speed zones first (see page 50). Then go back to the Alerts section (p10) and set the alerts based on those zones.

(And if that doesn't work, fire up the Krusty signal)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I haven't tried setting these alerts myself, but if you are setting .3 of a minute that is 18 seconds. Easy way to check - can you set the alert for 9.7 minutes?

Looking at the manual, you should probably set up the pace/speed zones first (see page 50). Then go back to the Alerts section (p10) and set the alerts based on those zones.

(And if that doesn't work, fire up the Krusty signal)

just checked, not possible to set .7 of a min therefore the time of .3 is definitely equal to 30 seconds..

Dont think it is supposed to be necessary to change the values of the speed zones as there meant as a pre programmed guideline to follow. (even tough they can be editied , im aware of that)

Wen im changing pace alerts , it gives me the option to hit custom and input whatever pace alerts values I wish.. Cant imagine how the other pre stored zones would have any effect on what i input as my custom zone..??

I have also noticed that the values i put in only seem to change themselves wen I have put them within a miniute and a half of each other or faster.. eg -- fast 9.3 min/m and slow 11.0 min/m ... doesent seem to create any problem or change values on me if in have pace alerts 2 mins apart or more. eg -- 9.0 min/m and 11.0 min/m

Any chance someone else with a 305 could go into training - options - alerts - pace alerts and try to set custom pace alerts within a min and a half of each other to see if the values change themselves after u exit this screen. At least that way i mite know it is something with the settings on the watch and not a fault with mine?

cheers
    Sub

Any ideas krusty clown??
    Sorry subscriber. I stayed out of this conversation, as I don't have a 305, and you can't set-up alerts on a 405 without using an Advanced workout (which again, is based on 'speed zones' or 'pace zones'). Recent changes in Garmin Connect allow you to create workouts based on specific speed or pace values rather than the crappy zones, so I'll give that a go at some stage. So you could try this as an alternative. Just set-up a workout on Garmin Connect and specify a min and max pace (or speed). Doesn't really solve your problem though.

I just tend to have 'average pace' or 'lap pace' on the watch, and adjust my speed accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hey Gang, forerunner 210 owner, my heart rate monitor has been acting up lately, I think I may have corroded the contacts (never washed it) tried all the usual, new battery reset watch etc, any how if I need a replacement strap I just spotted this over in amazon

Garmin FR60 with Heart Rate Monitor + Footpod - Mens Black - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-FR60-Heart-Monitor-Footpod/dp/B001S2RCWS/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_1

looks like a good deal, anyone got any further suggestions regards the monitor strap and getting it to work better or in my case at all

BobMc wrote: »
    Hey Gang, forerunner 210 owner, my heart rate monitor has been acting up lately, I think I may have corroded the contacts (never washed it) tried all the usual, new battery reset watch etc, any how if I need a replacement strap I just spotted this over in amazon

Garmin FR60 with Heart Rate Monitor + Footpod - Mens Black - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-FR60-Heart-Monitor-Footpod/dp/B001S2RCWS/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_1

looks like a good deal, anyone got any further suggestions regards the monitor strap and getting it to work better or in my case at all
    Confused. Why not just buy a replacement HR strap instead of an entire foot-pod based watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

is that not the old style strap, is it compatible ?

BobMc wrote: »
    is that not the old style strap, is it compatible ?
    Go to the 210 page on the Garmin site. Click on Accessories. Expand the [Fitness Sensors] category.

It lists both the 'premium strap' and the 'traditional strap'. Either will work. Both can be bought separately. Check the part numbers, just to be sure, but so far, all HR straps have been inter-changeable. Here's the 'premium' strap on Amazon. The only real difference is that premium strap has a soft material strap, whereas the 'standard' strap is made of plastic. They are both equally inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Have a bad feeling bout this query but here it goes . My 405 ,it keeps going dead , when i charge it it goes from 0 to 100% in bout 10 seconds , when i disconnect it , it shows up the language setting .If i come out of that i get two options enter/start/stop or quit/lap/reset , but im only allowed choose enter/start/stop , which doesnt bring me to a dead end . Anyway i reset the watch ?

Seres wrote: »
    Have a bad feeling bout this query but here it goes . My 405 ,it keeps going dead , when i charge it it goes from 0 to 100% in bout 10 seconds , when i disconnect it , it shows up the language setting .If i come out of that i get two options enter/start/stop or quit/lap/reset , but im only allowed choose enter/start/stop , which doesnt bring me to a dead end . Anyway i reset the watch ?
    Doesn't sound good Seres. Try a hard reset (beware: you'll lose all your settings/configuration information) and if that doesn't work, back to Garmin it goes.

405 Hard reset (you will lose all information from your watch if you perform these steps!):
    1) Press and Hold down BOTH the Start/Stop and Lap/Reset Buttons (these are the two silver buttons on the right hand side)
    2) Keep these two buttons pressed in for 6 seconds and the screen will go blank
    3) Release the Start/Stop button (the top one) and continue to hold the Lap/Reset button for 3 additional seconds, then Release it
    4) Select ?YES? (Enter Button) to the prompt asking to clear user data
    5) This will erase ALL data and then guide you through all of the introductory menus once again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Anyone having any issues with uploads not going to Garmin Connect?
    The activities are there in Training Center and the send my data to Garmin Connect is ticked in the ANT agent settings - works when I export the GPX file, but that is minus the split and device data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Hi all,
    I do some cycling and running, not much, just to get out there as it were.
    I'm looking to put a bit more effort into it now for fitness ect. What I'm looking for, is advice on is the best gps device for the job(without costing a fortune) and which site to record/view my progress..

Now, after reading a few threads here and other forums, the garmin forerunner 305 seems to fit the bill regarding functionality price ect. (pixmania about €145 inc delivery seems best I can get,budgeted for €100 but oh well), would you peeps still rate this device or is there something new out in that price bracket that would be better??

As for the reviewing of progress, I've seen 'map my ride' and 'runkeeper'. Which one would be the best in terms of ease of use/accuracy/functionality ect, or is there any other place you guys/gals would recomend??

All advice greatly appreciated :)

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I do some cycling and running, not much, just to get out there as it were.
    I'm looking to put a bit more effort into it now for fitness ect. What I'm looking for, is advice on is the best gps device for the job(without costing a fortune) and which site to record/view my progress..

Now, after reading a few threads here and other forums, the garmin forerunner 305 seems to fit the bill regarding functionality price ect. (pixmania about €145 inc delivery seems best I can get,budgeted for €100 but oh well), would you peeps still rate this device or is there something new out in that price bracket that would be better??

As for the reviewing of progress, I've seen 'map my ride' and 'runkeeper'. Which one would be the best in terms of ease of use/accuracy/functionality ect, or is there any other place you guys/gals would recomend??

All advice greatly appreciated :)
    Hi Martyboy. The Forerunner 305 definitely seems to fit the bill. Have a look at the prices on Amazon.co.uk though, as they are generally a lot cheaper than Pixmania. As for sites to upload your run to: start with Garmin's free Garmin Connect, and see if it meets your needs. If it doesn't, there are lots of options, like Sportstracks, TrainingPeaks, etc.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Anyone having any issues with uploads not going to Garmin Connect?
    The activities are there in Training Center and the send my data to Garmin Connect is ticked in the ANT agent settings - works when I export the GPX file, but that is minus the split and device data.
    Hi BB, the splits should be there if you export from Training Centre and import to Garmin Connect. But that shouldn't be necessary. When you upload from the watch, the tcx is stored on your local HD and this can be uploaded directly to Garmin Connect. Have a look in:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\<devicenumber>\History

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Hi, I'm using a garmin 310xt and a regular garmin car gps and have just bought new maps for the later. When I go to log in to mygarmin.com or connectgarmin, I'm continually returned to the log in page.

I've tried requesting a new password but the same thing keeps happening. Send an email but I won't receive a reply for 3 days!

I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks

searay wrote: »
    Hi, I'm using a garmin 310xt and a regular garmin car gps and have just bought new maps for the later. When I go to log in to mygarmin.com or connectgarmin, I'm continually returned to the log in page.

I've tried requesting a new password but the same thing keeps happening. Send an email but I won't receive a reply for 3 days!

I'd appreciate some help.
    Sorry searay, this isn't an offical support forum for Garmin (though it might come across as such, on occasion). For account/login credential issues, Garmin is your only bet. I would suggest trying a different browser, or clearing your browser cache to see if that helps, but other than that, get in touch with Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Sorry searay, this isn't an offical support forum for Garmin (though it might come across as such, on occasion). For account/login credential issues, Garmin is your only bet. I would suggest trying a different browser, or clearing your browser cache to see if that helps, but other than that, get in touch with Garmin.

Thanks Krusty, Using another browser did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hi BB, the splits should be there if you export from Training Centre and import to Garmin Connect. But that shouldn't be necessary. When you upload from the watch, the tcx is stored on your local HD and this can be uploaded directly to Garmin Connect. Have a look in:

Just uploaded the last 5 days running from TC to GC this evening without me doing anything - although I did log a support request on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Well,
    I'm having problems uploading some of my activities. There's about 5 or 6 activiies from last week that won't upload, even when I go into "Upload Selected Activities". The activities are not showing in here. An activity from lastnight is showing in here and uploaded automatically the normal way.

I think the problem may have something to do with the fact that I was trying to set up on another computer and trying to upload onto the ANT without actually having an internet connection live at the same time.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I'm class... I fixed it all by myself!!!! :D

I used Force send to resend all the info. Apparantely, if you send to a diffferent computer than normal, it can mess things around a bit and Force Send must be used.

Well,
    I'm having problems uploading some of my activities. There's about 5 or 6 activiies from last week that won't upload, even when I go into "Upload Selected Activities". The activities are not showing in here. An activity from lastnight is showing in here and uploaded automatically the normal way.

I think the problem may have something to do with the fact that I was trying to set up on another computer and trying to upload onto the ANT without actually having an internet connection live at the same time.

Any ideas?
    What kind of watch do you have?
    Things to check:
    1) Make sure that your latest activity is stopped. If it's still running (this can happen sometimes) nothing will get uploaded.
    2) Have the activities uploaded to your computer? Do you use Garmin Training Centre? If so, have they uploaded to GTC?

It's also possible that you uploaded them to the other computer, at which point they were removed from the watch. Search the other cumputer for files with a .TCX extension. They usually go to this path:

Just saw your reply.... Ignore... If you upload to another computer, then the watch will think (correctly) that these activities have already been uploaded, so naturally, will not try and upload them again. Hence the need to Force Send.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Whats the expected life of the battery in the 305's, think mine might be on its way out.

Advertisement