Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Well I went out for a run at lunch time today and again the accuracy was way out. I turned on my watch and waited till the acquiring satellite signal message was gone which automatically goes once it reaches 5 bars (took about 2 mins). I then checked the GPS reading in the settings and it said the accuracy was 9m.

I started my watch and went for a run. As you can see in the image below the start postion is in someones back garden 40 metres away and gradually fixes its self over the next 5 minutes, this depends on how far off it is at the start. Think I'll be sending it back and using my old Garmin 410.

Untitled-14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Antivirus/Krusty,
    e.g. here's my lunchtime run today - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/134312820 which started and stopped in the same place but on the map its a few hundred metres apart (start is wrong, finish is right) - I also appear to have run straight through Shelbourne Park, swam the Dodder and swam halfway across the Liffey and turned back - possibly due to the cold.
    PK
    Hi PK, I would actually keep an eye on the [Satellites] screen, and wait until the GPS accuracy is down to 40 feet or less (10m). You're also starting in a built-up area which is going to impact the signal received.

Also, you should consider a move to triathlon!

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I started my watch and went for a run. As you can see in the image below the start postion is in someones back garden 40 metres away and gradually fixes its self over the next 5 minutes, this depends on how far off it is at the start. Think I'll be sending it back and using my old Garmin 410.
    That's pretty crap all right. If you're running the latest firmware, then there's not much that can be done, other than waiting for another firmware update and hoping that'll fix it, or send it back...

I wonder if it might be related to this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

That's pretty crap all right. If you're running the latest firmware, then there's not much that can be done, other than waiting for another firmware update and hoping that'll fix it, or send it back...

I am running the latest firmware and I only have it a couple of weeks now so I'll just send it back.
    I wonder if it might be related to this problem?

My watch is giving a different accuracy than what the GPS is actually picking up. So while in the video his watch jumps up to 255ft etc.. mine would say 20ft even though the the GPS reading is actually 255ft away. If that makes any sense??

oh and thanks for your time Krusty, its much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Will keep an eye on that so Krusty.
    I've got no real interest in triathlon but if I find myself in Shelbourne Park again I might give the greyhound racing a go, 550 metres might just be my ideal distance.

Cheers
    PK

Hi PK, I would actually keep an eye on the [Satellites] screen, and wait until the GPS accuracy is down to 40 feet or less (10m). You're also starting in a built-up area which is going to impact the signal received.

Also, you should consider a move to triathlon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Oh Krusty...help is required

I have been ignoring an update for my ant agent the last few weeks,i gave in this morning and downloaded the update but now my 405 will not connect with the laptop and therefore i cannot transfer my workouts to Garmin Connect.
    I have tried deleting the garmin software and re-installing but to no avail.
    I get as far as it asks me i to insert the ant stick,the laptop makes a sound like its accepting it but i do not get the pop up saying that the device was accepted so at that stage it will not complete the installation.

HELP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I am looking to replace my garmin's 305 strap with a Velcro one. Firstly are they any good and 2ndly are the following all the same thing. Some say extender but are all the following links a full replacement velcro strap. I know the pictures are the same but the listing look different.

If anyone has one of them can they tell me if they thing they are any good. The original strap digs into my hand and never fits right.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0043VQLFK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1V6FW757PVW02C0QXHVX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000E65HXA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1V6FW757PVW02C0QXHVX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Garmin-Forerunner-205-305-Wrist-Strap-010-10713-00-/370559873284?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item564716f104

Sosa wrote: »
    Oh Krusty...help is required

I have been ignoring an update for my ant agent the last few weeks,i gave in this morning and downloaded the update but now my 405 will not connect with the laptop and therefore i cannot transfer my workouts to Garmin Connect.
    I have tried deleting the garmin software and re-installing but to no avail.
    I get as far as it asks me i to insert the ant stick,the laptop makes a sound like its accepting it but i do not get the pop up saying that the device was accepted so at that stage it will not complete the installation.

HELP
    How does it fail? Is the ANT agent running? Do you get the ANT agent icon in your toolbar? Are you plugging it into the same USB port each time? Might be worth your while trying a different one. In older windows versions, device drivers are associated with a specific USB port. Also, make sure that you have administrator privileges when you are carrying out the ANT agent installation (right-click the EXE, and select [Run as Administrator]).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

My route was 15.96 miles, according to Google Maps. My watch said it was 15.54. Jen’s watch, an older model, did much better. Her route was 19.1 miles. Her watch said 19.02. it must be in the strive to improve battery life from past the 305 ? Longer battery life is a selling point. Now the battery has gone from 3 hrs to 8 hrs In 5 years to increase the batter by that much and decrease the size by the ammount they have it is not possible without them "take" it out of the gps. I work for a computer company and I know a lot about making stuff smaller and making battery life better. It is not possible to decrease size by about 200% and increase battery life by 100 percent also. If you look at some of the elite's they all seem to have the 305. Its not like money for a watch is an issue. Very happy with my 305. Best watch for a reason. Could have bought anyone of them but with about a month research the 305 seemed the best. e.g. http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2011/11/alan-oshea-from-cork-runs-219-in-nice.html 305 is best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Dear God of Garmins, the venerable Krustacean of Clownius.

Can you tell me where I misplaced my ANT stick??

christeb wrote: »
    Dear God of Garmins, the venerable Krustacean of Clownius.

Can you tell me where I misplaced my ANT stick??
    It's at the back of your sock drawer, just behind the Spiderman underpants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

shud probly put that as a stickie in events forum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭flying_scotsman

Have had a Forerunner 405 for just over 2 years. On Tuesday I did a session in the rain and had problems with the watch start/stopping during the intervals. Did a recovery run yesterday, everything was fine but the alert bleep to indicate another mile was sounding distinctly sick. Was about to set off on a run this morning only to discover it was dead (had charged it up before the recovery run on Wednesday). Tried to do a reset with no luck, and also tried a hard reset (think that's the right terminology, where you press both buttons for 6 seconds then release start/stop and continue pressing reset for another 3 seconds) with similar results. When I attach it to the charger it charges away happily to 100% then when disconnecting the charger the screen goes blank.

I have it sitting on the radiator with the charger attached in the hope that will clear any condensation out of the unit.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Have had a Forerunner 405 for just over 2 years. On Tuesday I did a session in the rain and had problems with the watch start/stopping during the intervals. Did a recovery run yesterday, everything was fine but the alert bleep to indicate another mile was sounding distinctly sick. Was about to set off on a run this morning only to discover it was dead (had charged it up before the recovery run on Wednesday). Tried to do a reset with no luck, and also tried a hard reset (think that's the right terminology, where you press both buttons for 6 seconds then release start/stop and continue pressing reset for another 3 seconds) with similar results. When I attach it to the charger it charges away happily to 100% then when disconnecting the charger the screen goes blank.

I have it sitting on the radiator with the charger attached in the hope that will clear any condensation out of the unit.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?
    One thing you should avoid (too late now!) is charging it while the unit is wet, as that is what is likely to cause a battery short.

I would leave it in the hot press for a few days, wrapped in kitcen towel, and a couple of sachets of Dessicant (the little bags you get every time you buy a new pair of shoes, electronics, kitchen utensils, or anything like that). But the hot press should do you. I'm not sure that the radiator is such a good idea, as you may be pushing the eatch beyond it's operational temperature ranges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭B Morrissey

Has anyone used the garmin adapter to transfer data from say a 310 xt to iPad and does it work as well as the ant+ device for USB on a pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭B Morrissey

Sorry mod can you move this th garmin mega thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

odd one - anyone know where you can replace the strap (on the watch)?

Mine is about to go - have lost the box and instructions etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thanks

If you have a 305, here is the manual. If you have a different one, I'm sure a search on the garmin website will find it.

(Replacing the strap is on page 5)

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/984_OwnersManual.pdf

Thanks

I replaced mine with a velcro one. Its class. No more sores on my wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Murraythree

Just looking for advice on using garmin 305 with bike and cadenece sensor. Would like to measure distance covered with turbo? How do I go about doing this please? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

lads anyone have any issues connecting the garmin forerunner 610 to the laptop, it wont pick up the watch when i have the usb key in. It shows it as searching but nothing happens and says it cant find it and it is seriously starting to piss me off.

This is my replacement watch as the charge on the other one fooked up. These garmin products are really starting to bug me.

Smurph

smurph10 wrote: »
    lads anyone have any issues connecting the garmin forerunner 610 to the laptop, it wont pick up the watch when i have the usb key in. It shows it as searching but nothing happens and says it cant find it and it is seriously starting to piss me off.

This is my replacement watch as the charge on the other one fooked up. These garmin products are really starting to bug me.

Smurph
    Have you paired the watch and the USB stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

i thought i had that done

so how do you do that , iv triued everything

smurph10 wrote: »
    i thought i had that done

so how do you do that , iv triued everything
    You have the ANT agent running, right? Right click the ANT agent, and select [Pair with new devices] [Enabled]. You may need to do the same thing on the watch.

Hey KC - found the ANT+ behind the Superman boxers, so I'm ready to roll again. Stayed up late last night trying to pair it on my new machine (Windows Vista). I DL'ed the new software, new drivers but no joy. Tried the same with my work machine this morning, but still nothing. I've pressed "Force Send" on the watch too.

Any ideas?

*EDIT* got it (DL'ed the ANT Agent). Why isn't there a page on the Garmin site which says - DOWNLOAD ANT+, Connumicator and USB drivers - and you're good to go??!!

OK, a non idiot question: any idea where my map is? http://connect.garmin.com/activity/138800621

OK, a non idiot question: any idea where my map is? http://connect.garmin.com/activity/138800621
    Hi Brian, I'd hazard a guess that your watch memory may have been 'full'. So either it didn't record the track-points, or they got over-written at a later stage. Did you just upload the tracklog recently?

Do you have a copy of it in Garmin Training Centre, which includes the appropriate mapping? If so, you should be able to export it and re-import it into GC.

Hi Brian, I'd hazard a guess that your watch memory may have been 'full'. So either it didn't record the track-points, or they got over-written at a later stage. Did you just upload the tracklog recently?

Do you have a copy of it in Garmin Training Centre, which includes the appropriate mapping? If so, you should be able to export it and re-import it into GC.

Just uploaded the last 9 months today. Some have maps (ie last night's run and DCM pacing), but some don't :confused:

• Advertisement

Just uploaded the last 9 months today. Some have maps (ie last night's run and DCM pacing), but some don't :confused:
    That'd be it then. Newer activities will over-write the trackpoints for older activities. Sorry, they're unrecoverable. It does pop up a warning at some point, but most people just disregard it. I have set mine up to upload to Garmin Connect and Training Centre (for backup) and then delete the activity from the watch. But you should probably upload more frequently. 9 Months is a lot of activities/data!

Advertisement