Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Send it back to Garmin. They'll do it free under warranty, or give you a refurb'ed replacement for around £70 if it's not.

Thanks, just rang them, they won't repair whether under warranty or not, its £79 or something for a refurbished one in exchange or nothing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks, just rang them, they won't repair whether under warranty or not, its £79 or something for a refurbished one in exchange or nothing. :(
    Hmm.. Must be something in the T&Cs about dropping/misuse of the item. Did you tell them you dropped it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Hmm.. Must be something in the T&Cs about dropping/misuse of the item. Did you tell them you dropped it?!
    i said it bumped off something running, but implied it wasn't anything other than standard use, but the screen isn't gonna split like that without something happening to it! He seemed pretty insistent they don't do repairs for screen problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Has anyone noticed the new Garmin Connect interface? Not enjoying it at all. In the 'Splits' the elevation gain/drop of the individual laps has gone. Is there anyway to see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Okay, we can do the why was it on the floor later? I need to know where can I get one. I tried other cables to no avail. I see that it has a sort of capacitor in line (I am thinking this is important) So very quckly:
    1. Where can I get one in Ireland (Dublin).
    2. Has anyone got one spare?
    3. If buying non-Garmin, what do I ask for?
    4. Which kids should I balme first, two or six year old?

Thanks

Got it working with another cable (without a capacitor). Am I now in danger of causing harm to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Okay, we can do the why was it on the floor later? I need to know where can I get one. I tried other cables to no avail. I see that it has a sort of capacitor in line (I am thinking this is important) So very quckly:
    1. Where can I get one in Ireland (Dublin).
    2. Has anyone got one spare?
    3. If buying non-Garmin, what do I ask for?
    4. Which kids should I balme first, two or six year old?

Thanks

Got it working with another cable (without a capacitor). Am I now in danger of causing harm to it?

Which Garmin do you have ?

Not familiar with the cable, but are you sure it's a capacitor, and not just magnetic shielding?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

menoscemo wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the new Garmin Connect interface? Not enjoying it at all. In the 'Splits' the elevation gain/drop of the individual laps has gone. Is there anyway to see this?

Full splits are still available in Training Center - but yes it's a pain they've gone off GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Full splits are still available in Training Center - but yes it's a pain they've gone off GC.

This is a pain. Normally an upgrade gives you more not less. The map of the run doesn't come up either unless you go into the Player. Haven't used the Training Centre in yonks. Feel it would be a backward step to go back to it :(

Is this a case of Garmin testing their changes in Production? Going from the Garmin facebook page it appears lots of people are not impressed.

Ah a 305 forerunner, not sure if it a capacitor either, just a barrel looking thing. I assume it was to even out any surges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Ah a 305 forerunner, not sure if it a capacitor either, just a barrel looking thing. I assume it was to even out any surges?

If it is a 305, then it is a standard USB Mini-B cable. Doesn't matter who manufactures it, they should all work

USB only uses 5V DC, you are safe enough from surges.

If it looks a little like this, then it's just a magnetic shield, used to prevent electronic interference and isn't terribly important (a magnetic coil looped around the cable). In fact, they are often removable, so you could transfer it to the other cable if you really wanted to.

Yes, the very thing. Panic over on my side. Many thanks. I was down to my last bar and a LSR for tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Does anyone know if you can return a 3 yr old forerunner 405 for a replacement, it's acting up on nearly every run now and I'm sick of it and if I can return it, does anyone have contact details, thanks.

Woddle wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can return a 3 yr old forerunner 405 for a replacement, it's acting up on nearly every run now and I'm sick of it and if I can return it, does anyone have contact details, thanks.
    I don't think it really matters how old it is. Here's the out-of-warranty page. Not sure if there's a UK contact number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Hmm.. I think the 110 was around €130 in either Wheelworx or Amphibian King recently, but I could be wrong. The 305 is probably still better value on Amazon.co.uk.

*Edit*: Here you go. €129 from Amphibian King

Its 179.99 now:mad:

Phone them and try and get a better price. They have matched prices for me in the past.

Its 179.99 now:mad:
    It was €50 cheaper when I gave you that link 3 weeks ago. You've been making up your mind for about a year now, I reckon. Not a man for quick decisions? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Audi driver

Hi evryone, looking into getting my bf a garmin hrm watch for xmas, I know nothing about them so have been looking on here for any advice! Im choosing between the garmin 610 or the garmin 310xt? any advice would be appreciated, they are expensive so I want to choose the right one!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What will you use it for? What is most important to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Audi driver

hi Raycun, I don't really know much about them, have heard him saying he will use it for triathlon training, I dont really know much more than this!

hi Raycun, I don't really know much about them, have heard him saying he will use it for triathlon training, I dont really know much more than this!
    For triathlon, the 310xt is your only man (except the 305, if you're on a tight budget). The 910 is potentially going to be a better watch, but will likely not be available for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I recently got the Garmin Forerunner 610 and have noticed that its always out by about 100 metres at the start and gradually after about 1.5km fixes it self. I went for a run after my workout today and only turned the watch on outside. I waited till it had aquired the satellite signal before I set off.

I've updated the software but this didn't seem to fix it, have I got a broken watch or do I just need to reset it? thanks.

Do you wait for a strong signal, or take off as soon as GPS is enabled?

Do you wait for a strong signal, or take off as soon as GPS is enabled?

I turn my watch on outside my house and once the acquiring GPS signal screen has gone I take off. It's starts off with four empty bars and takes about 60 seconds to fill all the bars then it clears the screen and shows me my 4 fields I've selected. I hit start and off I go..

This is the same as the Garmin 410, but that takes much longer to acqurie the gps signal before clearing the screen and showing my 3 selected fields. Up to 4 minutes.

I would have expected the Garmin 610 to only show 4 complete bars when it has a strong signal like the 410?

Thanks Krusty

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I turn my watch on outside my house and once the acquiring GPS signal screen has gone I take off. It's starts off with four empty bars and takes about 60 seconds to fill all the bars then it clears the screen and shows me my 4 fields I've selected. I hit start and off I go..
    Good to know it's substantially quicker at acquiring signals than the 4xx family of watches. Does it give you a numeric figure of GPS accuracy (usually in metres or feet)? What does this read before you start running?

Good to know it's substantially quicker at acquiring signals than the 4xx family of watches.

I think its a false reading, it says its acquired a strong signal when in fact it hasn't. That's what I think ia the problem?
    Does it give you a numeric figure of GPS accuracy (usually in metres or feet)? What does this read before you start running?

What I'll do tomorrow is setup both watches and as each one says its acquired a signal I'll go to the GPS display to see what the stats say there. I'll post my findings tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

Have the 310XT,

Started a data transfer today, has worked normally up till now.
    It started the data transfer, but failed.

Now the watch is stuck with the light on, and "Transferring data" written on the screen. I have unplugged the garmin ant from the computer and the watch is not responding. Cannot even power off?

Any suggestions? Or do I just wait until the battery dies and hope it turns on as normal after?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

Ju8st found the solution on another thread.

Lap + Mode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Antivirus/Krusty,

I was just about to post about having a similar issue with my 405.
    Recently it seems to locate satelites quicker than before but I wonder if they've just lowered the threshold for when the watch thinks it's ready to go?

I typically turn on GPS when I go outside then I go into Training, it displays 'Locating Satellites' and when that changes to my Training screens I presume it's good to go and start to run. This has always worked fine until the last week or two, now it takes a mile or two for it to settle down, am getting strange pace readings and the mappings are wrong in the early part of a run too.
    e.g. here's my lunchtime run today - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/134312820 which started and stopped in the same place but on the map its a few hundred metres apart (start is wrong, finish is right) - I also appear to have run straight through Shelbourne Park, swam the Dodder and swam halfway across the Liffey and turned back - possibly due to the cold.

Make it stop Krusty!!!

PK

Advertisement