Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Why are garmin releasing their newest/latest batch of running watches? Will they have built in heart rate monitors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Why are garmin releasing their newest/latest batch of running watches? Will they have built in heart rate monitors?

Why? Well, what else should they do with them?

Anyway, yes, the new 225HR has a built-in HRM.

What's the neatest Garmin compatible HR monitor going? I'd like to wear one during the day, but my own one is feckin huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭opus

Cheers, but you should be posting in the Garmin Connect forum, not in the Forerunner 620 forum, as it's not related to your watch. Here's a more appropriate thread, which might not get as lost (as your workouts!).

I'll chip into that thread as well later on, GC had no problems correctly identifying any of the runs I did in South Africa last weekend, utterly bizarre it can't handle Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Can anyone tell me how to zoom into the elevation charts on Garmin Connect. When I look at the elevation on my phone I can see the peaks and troughs easily. However when I look on Garmin Connect on the pc, I can see increases and decreases for sure but the zoom level is far less so I cant really identify the points on the route as easily as with the phone.

For example on GC, the elevation for a run this week is graphed between 0 - 100 - 200 (y - axis). Whereas on the phone it is graphed between 65 - 110. So obviously it is much easier to see the profile of the route on the phone.

I imagine there is a setting on the GC site somewhere to correct this but I am relatively new to the product and cant seem to find it !!

Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Click the 2 little arrows in the top right to zoom the graph.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Click the 2 little arrows in the top right to zoom the graph.

Thanks Adrian. When I do that it loads the graph on it's own screen but it now draws the y -axis from -100 to +250. In this example the section between 50 and 100 is all I am interested in. Just wondering if I can zoom in on that area? I have a screen shot below.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Arsenium wrote: »
    Thanks Adrian. When I do that it loads the graph on it's own screen but it now draws the y -axis from -100 to +250. In this example the section between 50 and 100 is all I am interested in. Just wondering if I can zoom in on that area? I have a screen shot below.

Thanks again.
    You certainly can with a mouse. Just click within the area you are interested in (must be within the data volume - not above it), hold the mouse and left or right of the area you are interested in. Select [Reset Zoom] to return to full graph view.

You certainly can with a mouse. Just click within the area you are interested in (must be within the data volume - not above it), hold the mouse and left or right of the area you are interested in. Select [Reset Zoom] to return to full graph view.

Thanks Krusty. So doing this I can zoom in on a shorter area of the time axis (x - axis). But I still have the issue where the y - axis is charted between -100 and +250. It's very difficult to visually notice much elevation change when the whole run only really varies between 60 and 100 metres. That's pretty much what I am wondering. Can I set the graph to only show the areas where the elevation changes are relevant? In this case change the maximum to 120m for example and minimum to zero?

Thanks Krusty. So doing this I can zoom in on a shorter area of the time axis (x - axis). But I still have the issue where the y - axis is charted between -100 and +250. It's very difficult to visually notice much elevation change when the whole run only really varies between 60 and 100 metres. That's pretty much what I am wondering. Can I set the graph to only show the areas where the elevation changes are relevant? In this case change the maximum to 120m for example and minimum to zero?

Nope - you can't change the axes within Garmin Connect. You could export the activity and process it in another environment like GPS Visualizer (which supports rendering using whatever axes divisions you like) but it requires some effort, trial and error.

• Advertisement

Cheers, but you should be posting in the Garmin Connect forum, not in the Forerunner 620 forum, as it's not related to your watch. Here's a more appropriate thread, which might not get as lost (as your workouts!).

Got this reply from Garmin, on the positive side at least they admit it's a problem!
    The issue you are referring to is something that we are aware of and are working hard towards a resolution, however, we do not have a timeframe for this to be completed as yet.

At least they didn't tell me to do a master reset of my watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

No idea if I'm posting in the correct thread or not, so apologies in advance. I'm having a problem with connections to other users. I am connected to three other runners I know, but I can only see 2 of their details/runs. The third person is showing as connected but I never see any of their runs. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting with them, and also got them to disconnect and reconnect with me, but I still cannot see their runs (he can see mine though.) Any ideas on this?

No idea if I'm posting in the correct thread or not, so apologies in advance. I'm having a problem with connections to other users. I am connected to three other runners I know, but I can only see 2 of their details/runs. The third person is showing as connected but I never see any of their runs. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting with them, and also got them to disconnect and reconnect with me, but I still cannot see their runs (he can see mine though.) Any ideas on this?
    Sounds like they have locked down their permissions and are not sharing. If they want to change it, it's in [Settings], [Privacy], [Who can see your new activity?] and needs to be set to something other than 'Only me'.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Hi all,
    Just bought a Garmin Forerunner 220 and having a couple of issues.. They are both known issues and wondering if anyone knows of any fixes/workarounds.
    1. the first being the synchronization with Mapmyrun which just doesnt seem to work. I read about people raising this issue going back as far as December of last year. Still no fix it appears?
    2. The 'Kilkeel' issue. Garmin connect names all my runs Kilkeel. It too appears to be an old issue which has yet to be rectified. Garmin dont seem to give a crap it seems?

Regretting having bought the watch already. Very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Hi all,
    Just bought a Garmin Forerunner 220 and having a couple of issues.. They are both known issues and wondering if anyone knows of any fixes/workarounds.
    1. the first being the synchronization with Mapmyrun which just doesnt seem to work. I read about people raising this issue going back as far as December of last year. Still no fix it appears?
    2. The 'Kilkeel' issue. Garmin connect names all my runs Kilkeel. It too appears to be an old issue which has yet to be rectified. Garmin dont seem to give a crap it seems?

I don't know anything about the first issue, but you admit that you bought the watch knowing it was an issue, so if it was a showstopper for you, you could have decided not to buy it.

On the second issue, my response is "Who cares". In my garmin account, all my runs before March were titled Untitled, now they all called Kilkeel run ( apart from one Warrenpoint run when I visited Dundalk). I don't understand why anyone cares what the title is. When you decided to buy a GPS watch, was one of the deciding factors that you would have a list of runs with nice names. I mostly run the same routes anyway, all of which start and end at my house, so the list would be pretty similar, even if the location was correct.

If you are regretting buying it, you need to ask yourself what functionality did you buy it for.

A GPS watch lets you measure the distance and speed of your run, more accurately than other methods. This might help you plan your training better (handy). It will give you better nerdy lists of running stats ( I love this feature), and fiddling with it gives you something to do when a run gets boring ( I like this one too) but it wont do anything else.

I really don't want to sound too negative, but getting out there and enjoying going for a run is the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

'Kilkeel/Crosmaglen run' is an issue on garmin connect with all Garmin watches, not just the 220.

menoscemo wrote: »
    'Kilkeel/Crosmaglen run' is an issue on garmin connect with all Garmin watches, not just the 220.
    Just to further clarify, it's not a problem with the watches, but rather a problem with Garmin Connect (with the maps/data that Garmin are using for Ireland, and certain other locations around the world).
    With regards to the mapmyrun integration (Not sure why anyone would want to keep their data on Mapmyrun?), what route are you trying to use to get the data to Mapmyrun? Are you uploading to Garmin Connect and then synchronizing to MapMyRun? That's probably going to be your most effective mechanism. It's described here. This synchronization is managed by Mapmyrun, so if you have problems, contact their support team (link at bottom of the above article).
    You can return it, but you should be aware that the problems you have raised have nothing to do with the watch.

I got the 220 recently aswell but certainly dont regret it. I used to use mapmyrun before I got the watch but once I got it I stopped using it and use Garmin Connect now so I dont have any issue there.

The autonaming issue is just tedious. You just have to rename your run and that only takes a second.

It has some excellent features I think. Being able to customize your screen to show the details you want. I like the current pace option, even though you can spend too much time watching that.

One thing that annoys me however is that on some of the routes I run through trees it can sometimes lose the satellite connection, and the current pace jumps to something ridiculous..but I guess that's not the fault of the 220, it's simply not having a connection to the satellite briefly. It connects back again quickly enough.

I have not encountered most of the other issues that people have complained about on here or on the Garmin site itself, it's running the latest software / firmware so hopefully it's pretty stable by now.

One thing that annoys me however is that on some of the routes I run through trees it can sometimes lose the satellite connection, and the current pace jumps to something ridiculous..but I guess that's not the fault of the 220, it's simply not having a connection to the satellite briefly. It connects back again quickly enough.
    Well, that kind of is the fault of the 220, as other watches wouldn't be affected to such a significant degree. I was pacing my wife (Garmin Forerunner 220) for one of her sessions recently, and was surprised by the deviation on each lap (her laps were consistently longer than mine (Garmin Fenix 3), though I don't know which watch was consistently out. Are you using 'pace' for your data field? Might be better off sticking with lap pace, which will give you a more even distribution of pace, and you shouldn't see those spikes when you go through tree-cover.

Well, that kind of is the fault of the 220, as other watches wouldn't be affected to such a significant degree. I was pacing my wife (Garmin Forerunner 220) for one of her sessions recently, and was surprised by the deviation on each lap (her laps were consistently longer than mine (Garmin Fenix 3), though I don't know which watch was consistently out. Are you using 'pace' for your data field? Might be better off sticking with lap pace, which will give you a more even distribution of pace, and you shouldn't see those spikes when you go through tree-cover.

On the first screen I use Distance, Time and Current Pace. And I have alerts set up for each KM. A lot of times I watch the current pace and think to myself I am definitely doing a better pace than this is reporting to me. And then when I get the alert after a km for example, I can see the lap time it reports is a lot closer to how I felt I was going than the "current pace" field was telling me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Current pace is pretty useless in my experience. I have found you're much better off using lap pace as Krusty suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

Just to further clarify, it's not a problem with the watches, but rather a problem with Garmin Connect (with the maps/data that Garmin are using for Ireland, and certain other locations around the world).

This from 'Alice' in Garmin UK support just now (I logged a ticket with their cartography queue some weeks back and then with UK support on Tuesday)

"The issue you are referring to is something that we are aware of and are working hard towards a resolution, however, we do not have a timeframe for this to be completed as yet.

When the issue has been corrected, the fix will be released in a software update. This will be announced on your Garmin Connect account or on Garmin Express."

I suspect the more Irish users log the 'Kilkeel Running' problem there, the faster it'll get fixed...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

As Krusty said, this is a Garmin Connect problem, not a watch problem. The same issues exists for all devices, but I don't really understand why it's a big deal for people. Before, the title defaulted to "Untitled", now it defaults to "Crossmaglen Cycle" or "Kilkeel Run" or something similar. You still have to change it to be meaningful. The problem is that Connect uses some sort of database of location names so when you upload a run or cycle or swim, it looks for the nearest location in the database and uses that name for the activities. The database doesn't have any locations in the republic which is why the default to the nearest town in the North.

By the way, this feature works very nicely in the US or UK.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Hi guys

I am guessing this is a common issue. I have workouts downloaded in Garmin Connect for DCM 2015, but I cannot get them on to the wrist unit (310XT). I have in the past no problem, but now I am getting 'Sorry, we're having a problem connecting with our servers' message.

I can get info from the unit to the calendar. I have reinstalled garmin express to no avail.

What next, can I transfer data with the cable and crocodile clip? Will it make any difference, as data is being transferred (one way) with the ANT stick.

Dr. Google is not giving me any options?

Many thanks in advance.

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Hi guys

I am guessing this is a common issue. I have workouts downloaded in Garmin Connect for DCM 2015, but I cannot get them on to the wrist unit (310XT). I have in the past no problem, but now I am getting 'Sorry, we're having a problem connecting with our servers' message.

I can get info from the unit to the calendar. I have reinstalled garmin express to no avail.

What next, can I transfer data with the cable and crocodile clip? Will it make any difference, as data is being transferred (one way) with the ANT stick.

Many thanks in advance.
    Hi Wally, data isn't transferred over the cable- it's just for recharging. ANT+ is the only option. Sounds like it might be a problem on the Garmin server-side. Could you try another computer just to be certain? After that, getting into Garmin (either via support or their forum) is probably the best best.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Thanks, I will keep trying. Very tedious.

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Hi guys

Many thanks in advance.

Sounds familiar! I gave up on Garmin Express & spent some time wiping all vestiges of Garmin s/w from my laptop before reinstalling the old Training Centre & Ant Agent. All back to normal now and activities & workouts transfer as before.

It should be possible to get it all working with GE but I don't want to spend as much time getting the the workout & activity on/off the watch as I actually spend running :)

Hi Wally, data isn't transferred over the cable- it's just for recharging. ANT+ is the only option. Sounds like it might be a problem on the Garmin server-side. Could you try another computer just to be certain? After that, getting into Garmin (either via support or their forum) is probably the best best.

This could be my story. I've been trying to send a training plan from the calendar to the watch. I got 1 day of it downloaded. Ever since then it's "Cannot connect to Garmin servers". Really annoying. At least it doesnt appear to be just me but that's not much consolation.

I actually thought the cable was for transferring data also. When I connect I can see the watch as a device on the computer and browse it. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Just got a bought a brand new Garmin forerunner 110 for 105euro including postage on eBay.

Hope I made the right choice! Would have loved the 220 but watching the pennies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

So Garmin Express automatically updated again on me (MacOs) and now it's not deleting lap files after i synch now. Can someone remind me of the way to reset the 'delete after synch' option. I'm using v4.1.2.0 now.

Advertisement