Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Hi just two hopefully quick questions.

I'm about to start using the forerunner 110 heart monitor. Watched videos on youtube but just wanted to be sure.

My two questions are:

1. After each run I can submerge the whole monitor & strap and water to wash each time? (including the hard part in the middle that says Garmin?)
    2. Is vaseline an ok gel/lubricant on the centre of the hardstrap (that touches the skin).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Pink11 wrote: »
    Hi just two hopefully quick questions.

I'm about to start using the forerunner 110 heart monitor. Watched videos on youtube but just wanted to be sure.

My two questions are:

1. After each run I can submerge the whole monitor & strap and water to wash each time? (including the hard part in the middle that says Garmin?)
    2. Is vaseline an ok gel/lubricant on the centre of the hardstrap (that touches the skin).

1. No need to submerge the monitor, it clips off in a second.
    2. Just make sure you don't put anything on the contacts, unless it's specifically designed for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I'm confused. Is the vaseline for the contacts to improve conductivity, or for something else? I used to just lick the contacts, worked fine.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    1. No need to submerge the monitor, it clips off in a second.
    2. Just make sure you don't put anything on the contacts, unless it's specifically designed for that.

Thank you but this is the one I have: http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/eilonfish/media/listings/Garmin/Forerunner%20110/110m/GarminHRM.jpg.html

Is the monitor detachable? I didn't know it was. I did try to remove it but it looked like it wasn't coming off?

It said on the manual to put gel or something on the hard part so it won't irritate the skin?

It said on the manual to put gel or something on the hard part so it won't irritate the skin?

Try it without first maybe. I never had any problems myself, and it's the first time I've heard anyone raise the subject.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    Try it without first maybe. I never had any problems myself, and it's the first time I've heard anyone raise the subject.

Cool I will. I only said it because it was actually mentioned/advised in the instructions that came with it.

I definitely can't seem to detach the hard part/monitor from the strap, so not sure how I'll be able to wash it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I definitely can't seem to detach the hard part/monitor from the strap, so not sure how I'll be able to wash it!?

How are you putting it on then? The hard part (monitor and contacts) detaches from the elastic strap on either side. This allows you to put it on from either side, or detach completely. I just wipe the hard bit with a baby wipe when I take it off and wash the elastic strap every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cool I will. I only said it because it was actually mentioned/advised in the instructions that came with it.

You should really only wash the elasticated section of the strap, and even at that, do it pretty rarely, or you'll damage it. As mentioned, just give the actual HRM piece a wipe after use.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Just wondering. On Garmin Connect, is there a way to bunch activities together..sort of like a folder for example.

Doing interval sessions recently and recording each interval on the Garmin leads to 15 separate entries when I upload to GC. So I was wondering if there is an easy way to group these all together under 1 activity. Give it a name like "Intervals Session - Date" and under here each of the activities could be viewed separately.

Arsenium wrote: »
    Just wondering. On Garmin Connect, is there a way to bunch activities together..sort of like a folder for example.

Doing interval sessions recently and recording each interval on the Garmin leads to 15 separate entries when I upload to GC. So I was wondering if there is an easy way to group these all together under 1 activity. Give it a name like "Intervals Session - Date" and under here each of the activities could be viewed separately.
    No. But you shouldn't be starting a new activity for each interval. That's what the lap button is for (or interval workouts,/advanced workouts if you use that functionality).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

No. But you shouldn't be starting a new activity for each interval. That's what the lap button is for (or interval workouts,/advanced workouts if you use that functionality).

Thanks Krusty. Right...off to investigate how to use the lap button correctly. I was thinking it didnt make a lot of sense the way I was doing it.

Arsenium wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty. Right...off to investigate how to use the lap button correctly. I was thinking it didnt make a lot of sense the way I was doing it.
    Hi Arsenium, if you're doing intervals on a track, the best thing to do is:
    1) Turn off auto-lap on the watch (if you're running long intervals)
    2) Press [Start] when you begin your session (warm-up), and then hit the lap button every time you want to create a logical break between different sections of the workout.
    3) Press [Start/Stop] when finished.
    Then you can check out each individual section as it will appear as a seperate lap in Garmin Connect (and on your watch).

If you're doing your interval session on the road, and don't have a pre-measured track/distance, then you can create an interval session on the watch (if your particular model supports this), or even set the auto-lap distance to your interval length (not a great solution).

Hi Arsenium, if you're doing intervals on a track, the best thing to do is:
    1) Turn off auto-lap on the watch (if you're running long intervals)
    2) Press [Start] when you begin your session (warm-up), and then hit the lap button every time you want to create a logical break between different sections of the workout.
    3) Press [Start/Stop] when finished.
    Then you can check out each individual section as it will appear as a seperate lap in Garmin Connect (and on your watch).

If you're doing your interval session on the road, and don't have a pre-measured track/distance, then you can create an interval session on the watch (if your particular model supports this), or even set the auto-lap distance to your interval length (not a great solution).

Hi Krusty. Perhaps you could clear up a related question for me. I have found myself doing the same thing as the previous poster for intervals.While I know I can set up the watch for an interval session, it can be awkward in a group, when you effectively need to to be the official timer for the group session to avoid the Garmin getting out of whack with everyone else, particularly if it's on the track. So, if I'm running 400s, if I do as you suggest and just hit the lap button when I cross the finish line, will it record my lap separately, and then also record the rest interval, whether it's static or dynamic? And do I just keep hitting Lap at the start and finish of each succeeding 400?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi Krusty. Perhaps you could clear up a related question for me. I have found myself doing the same thing as the previous poster for intervals.While I know I can set up the watch for an interval session, it can be awkward in a group, when you effectively need to to be the official timer for the group session to avoid the Garmin getting out of whack with everyone else, particularly if it's on the track. So, if I'm running 400s, if I do as you suggest and just hit the lap button when I cross the finish line, will it record my lap separately, and then also record the rest interval, whether it's static or dynamic? And do I just keep hitting Lap at the start and finish of each succeeding 400?

Thanks

Dave, I've done many a track session with you and that's exactly what I do.
    If having standing recoveries I often press 'lap' at the end of the rep and then press 'stop' a few seconds later. Then I start the watch a few seconds before the start of the following lap followed by 'lap' to start the rep.

This method will mean you see all the reps as seperate laps in the activity and 3-4 second 'mini laps in between.

You should also configure the watch to show 'lap -time' instead of 'time-total'. This way you can see the time of the particular rep at 100m, 200m etc to make sure you are on pace. You can also leave the watch running during the recoveries and that way you time the recovery as it will be showing a new 'lap time' while you are resting. You know you are ready to go again as the 'lap time' approaches 45 seconds/1 minute or whatever the prescribed recovery period is.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Dave, I've done many a track session with you and that's exactly what I do.
    If having standing recoveries I often press 'lap' at the end of the rep and then press 'stop' a few seconds later. Then I start the watch a few seconds before the start of the following lap followed by 'lap' to start the rep.

This method will mean you see all the reps as seperate laps in the activity and 3-4 second 'mini laps in between.

You should also configure the watch to show 'lap -time' instead of 'time-total'. This way you can see the time of the particular rep at 100m, 200m etc to make sure you are on pace. You can also leave the watch running during the recoveries and that way you time the recovery as it will be showing a new 'lap time' while you are resting. You know you are ready to go again as the 'lap time' approaches 45 seconds/1 minute or whatever the prescribed recovery period is.
    There is no reason not to record your recoveries, other than for purposes of vanity (it drops your workouts average pace in the statistics). But, if you're wearing a HR strap, you may be interested in keeping a record of your HR pattern during the recovery. Also helps to time the recoveries.

There is no reason not to record your recoveries, other than for purposes of vanity

That wouldn't bother me. I might end up trying it out tonight, in fact. I think there's a group (meno included) doing 1k reps on the track tonight. The recovery is likely to be the 200m between the 1k finish and the start line, walked/jogged. Meno would be closest to me in pace terms, but I'm still likely to be left behind over the course of 8 or so reps. I would be keen to time my recoveries accurately, rather than just guesstimating my jogging pace.

That wouldn't bother me. I might end up trying it out tonight, in fact. I think there's a group (meno included) doing 1k reps on the track tonight. The recovery is likely to be the 200m between the 1k finish and the start line, walked/jogged. Meno would be closest to me in pace terms, but I'm still likely to be left behind over the course of 8 or so reps. I would be keen to time my recoveries accurately, rather than just guesstimating my jogging pace.
    For 1k reps, it's a good idea to turn off auto-lap, as once the Garmin determines that it has hit a mile (or whatever you have set your auto-lap to), it will start a new lap which will likely screw up your timing.

For 1k reps, it's a good idea to turn off auto-lap, as once the Garmin determines that it has hit a mile (or whatever you have set your auto-lap to), it will start a new lap which will likely screw up your timing.

thanks for the tip.

There is no reason not to record your recoveries, other than for purposes of vanity (it drops your workouts average pace in the statistics).

:o You are absolutely right of course. I did get into the habit of stopping the watch for standing recoveries and letting other guys time them, however once I started leading out a few groups I have been timing the recoveries.

I would always turn off the autolap (normally have it at one mile), for longer reps. E.G. 2 mile reps (or even 1 mile reps on the track as it often underestimates a mile).
    But (to be pedantic) for 1k reps and below there is no need to do this since it starts counting from zero once you start a new 'lap'. with 1k reps it's never going to reach 1 mile (except on warm up and cool down)

Dave, sorry i won't be there tonight. I'll probably race a 5k on sunday.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    I would always turn off the autolap (normally have it at one mile), for longer reps. E.G. 2 mile reps (or even 1 mile reps on the track as it often underestimates a mile).
    But (to be pedantic) for 1k reps and below there is no need to do this since it starts counting from zero once you start a new 'lap'. with 1k reps it's never going to reach 1 mile (except on warm up and cool down)

Dave, sorry i won't be there tonight. I'll probably race a 5k on sunday.

Ok, well if you're not gonna be there I'm certainly not going with the other lads. They'll be doing 1k in about 3:40. I might just do 800s, depending on who else turns up. I might be on my own, but it's preferable to doing bloody solo hill-sprints. OTOH, I could just do a run and do Tymon parkrun on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

What would users recommend as a good upgrade from my Garmin 305. My 305 (and 205) has served me well over the past five years but I would love a device that's sleeker on the wrist. However, any new device has big shoes to fill (in my expectations anyway) since the 305 is a powerful device. My priorities from the new device would be:
    • Quick satellite acquisition time - The 305 is good but sluggish around built up areas.
    • Battery Life: I would like something that matches my 305. I replaced the battery last year on my 305 after four years which is impressive (in my book)
    • Comfort: I would like a comfortable device. The 305 is a tad bulky.
    • No HRM: I don't particular care for it so it's not a factor.
    • Reliability: This is very important.

I am very willing to look at other makes of device - not just Garmin. But my budget is around €150 - €170.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Garmin forerunner 110
    Do many of you get trouble when it rains. I find a small bit of rain and the screen fogs up. I sometimes put my wristband over the watch to stop the rain getting in but it doesn't always work.
    Also how do you do a hard reset to get the watch back on? Google seems to be throwing up a few different options.

Thanks

Garmin forerunner 110
    Do many of you get trouble when it rains. I find a small bit of rain and the screen fogs up. I sometimes put my wristband over the watch to stop the rain getting in but it doesn't always work.
    Also how do you do a hard reset to get the watch back on? Google seems to be throwing up a few different options.

Thanks

Just on the fogging - it used to happen with mine as well.

Just on the fogging - it used to happen with mine as well.

My watch is still giving trouble. I don't know if it is water damage or a weakening battery. Watch is around 2 years old.
    When I turn on the watch it beeps as normal. The Garmin symbol briefly (and it is faded) flashes up then goes blank. Some of the lcd display flashes and then goes blank (as in parts of the letters)
    Any ideas?

My watch is still giving trouble. I don't know if it is water damage or a weakening battery. Watch is around 2 years old.
    When I turn on the watch it beeps as normal. The Garmin symbol briefly (and it is faded) flashes up then goes blank. Some of the lcd display flashes and then goes blank (as in parts of the letters)
    Any ideas?

Can't help, sorry. It's a good while since I've owned a 110. For what it's worth, I was much happier with the 210, as they seemed to have addressed the problems affecting the 110. I don't know if it's even still available though.

Does anyone know the length of warranty on the forerunner 110?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I bought a Vivoactive the other day which uses Garmin Connect. I wanted to synch this with my MapMyRun account. I seem to have done this successfully however my workouts haven't been copied over to my Mapmyrun account. I thought this might be a privacy issue so I set that to "My connections" and re-synched the connection to MapyMyRun but still nothing. Any idea what I need to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Another question. I've logged a couple of runs (4km and 9km). In my Personal Records section the only record is for longest run. By virtue of the fact that I've logged a 9km run should I not have records for 5km and 1km as subsections of this run?

Or is it a case that only runs that are exactly equal to those distances are counted? What if I end up logging 5.01km-would that still count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Hi all! I'm being driven crazy by Garmin Express lately. I recorded two runs Tuesday and yesterday on my 405cx. I was away so couldn't upload them as I forgot to bring the ant stick. When I got home i plugged in the stick and, as far as I could see, uploaded the runs. However when I checked the connect site they hadn't registered. I tried to sync again a few more times but still these two runs did not appear. I did a run tonight which uploaded perfectly and I had no trouble getting into it to edit the details. Is there any way to get my two missing runs onto garmin connect? Are they gone forever!! What'll I do when my friends on strava don't get to see them and give me "kudos"!!! I need those kudos....

Advertisement