Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Recall (Remake)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Im sorry but I have to disagree with you on that one Arnie and the 80,s action flick were like the perfect lovechild, they just just went so well together. Arnie is what made Commando, Running Man etc so great, no way could Stallone, Van Damme, Willis even made them the films they are. The reason there so loved is because of Arnies one liners which made them funny but entertaining and also incredibly quotable. Ye he wasnt the greatest of actors but he played to his strengths and knew exactly what the audience wanted, which was action and plenty of it, not much of a plot to be honest and some laughs in between. He never took himself too seriously by trying to make them deep thinking films.

See, now it's my turn; after reading that I can't take anything you say seriously ;)

Come on... Commando? 'Great'? It's a terrible movie, if it wasn't for the cheesy puns & one-liners, people wouldn't remember it with any fondness; and even then I get a whiff of post-modern irony off people who worship the film.

And yes, in his prime I think Stallone was a better action-star & is certainly a more talented actor (just a shame he never took on more dramatic roles more frequently). Ditto Willis: and both had actual screen presence which counts a lot for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

pixelburp wrote: »
    See, now it's my turn; after reading that I can't take anything you say seriously ;)

Come on... Commando? 'Great'? It's a terrible movie, if it wasn't for the cheesy puns & one-liners, people wouldn't remember it with any fondness; and even then I get a whiff of post-modern irony off people who worship the film.

And yes, in his prime I think Stallone was a better action-star & is certainly a more talented actor (just a shame he never took on more dramatic roles more frequently). Ditto Willis: and both had actual screen presence which counts a lot for me

But see that the whole point it was a terrible movie in some parts like Arnie being a one man army, but cheesy puns and one liners are what made it great. you kind of proved my point there, without Arnie in it would anyone even know of Commando never mind like it? It was his presence alone in that film which to this day still gives that film its fanbase.

Again yes there both better actors, Stallone as in Copland proved but never got much credit for, also Willis again better actor. But Arnies films werent about dramatic acting but all about the sillyness really which is what made them so lovable. I love Willis and Stallone also the likes of De Niro in Taxi Driver. But the films like Arnie made in the eightys although not as credible in acting terms or there plots still have there place aswell. I love all types of films depends on the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

seriously overestimating the Arnie version. I mean it's good, but it's not that good.

I don't agree: I thought it was idiotic nonsense back when I saw it first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But see that the whole point it was a terrible movie in some parts like Arnie being a one man army, but cheesy puns and one liners are what made it great. you kind of proved my point there, without Arnie in it would anyone even know of Commando never mind like it? It was his presence alone in that film which to this day still gives that film its fanbase.

Again yes there both better actors, Stallone as in Copland proved but never got much credit for, also Willis again better actor. But Arnies films werent about dramatic acting but all about the sillyness really which is what made them so lovable. I love Willis and Stallone also the likes of De Niro in Taxi Driver. But the films like Arnie made in the eightys although not as credible in acting terms or there plots still have there place aswell. I love all types of films depends on the mood.

Well I did say in my first post I didn't want to appear I was over-analysing Arnie as an actor, cos I'm not. Having said that, the ability to deliver a line with something resembling emotion, charm or charisma does help, and Arnie could never do any of those things. But beyond that, my core point was that Arnie was a terrible action-star, with no charisma or talent for the genre. But hey, best to simply agree to disagree.

And as for Commando; no, my point was that it's famous because of it's cheesy lines, that it's a poster-boy for the overly-earnest, yet cheesily-godawful alpha-male action movies of the 1980s. Ultimately it's only well-known because the internet took hold of it and celebrated its cheese with an ironic tongue in cheek. Not unlike Chuck Norris et al.

Well I did say in my first post I didn't want to appear I was over-analysing Arnie as an actor, cos I'm not. Having said that, the ability to deliver a line with something resembling emotion, charm or charisma does help, and Arnie could never do any of those things. But beyond that, my core point was that Arnie was a terrible action-star, with no charisma or talent for the genre. But hey, best to simply agree to disagree.

And as for Commando; no, my point was that it's famous because of it's cheesy lines, that it's a poster-boy for the overly-earnest, yet cheesily-godawful alpha-male action movies of the 1980s. Ultimately it's only well-known because the internet took hold of it and celebrated its cheese with an ironic tongue in cheek. Not unlike Chuck Norris et al.

Ok well agree to disagree.

But on the its only well known because the internet took hold of it, like chuck norris etc, Im not so sure Ive been a fan of Arnie and all his earlier films like Commando before the internet really took off never mind took hold of his films, there films I loved watching as a young teenager as im sure is the same with many a person. In fact I have never heard of much Commando hype on the internet unlike Chuck Norris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Commando is a terrible film, but its one of those so bad its good movies, its half notstalgia half cheesy fun factor, its a hoot to watch with a bunch of lads who know all the lines with a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I tend to agree with you im a huge fan of old Arnie films, but im willling to give this a chance you never know if doenright it could be good if not well have fun mocking how bad it is compared to the original ;).

Its never going to beat the original for me because of the one liners.Too many to mention!

boards needs its own Arnie thread :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    boards needs its own Arnie thread :pac:

Get it going ill second that motion :pac:.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There was an Arnold thread a while ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77272778

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CarlsBurg

Its funny the way people slag Arnie's acting ability :)
    The simple fact is he was such a massive draw, one of the biggest earners in Hollywood history and said to be a brilliant business man.

Sure he told Carlaco to buy the Total Recall script hours after it went on the market because the production company who originally owned the rights went bankrupt. Armed with a 65 million budget it earned over 261 million :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CarlsBurg

Thought some might be interested in this: (the making of total recall 1990)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Nothing in the remake is going to beat Arnie's classic line
    when he rips off Ironside's arms and finally dumps him with
    the quip

"See you at the party, Richter!!!"

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

"See yissers at de bleedin' par-ee, Rickter. I'll bring some yolks and a few flagons of soidor"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree completely, Arnie created the perfect balance within many of his films and it was his very presence that made them so entirely watchable. I love Commando, but it is undeniably a dreadful film - but Arnie's performance is the glue holding the whole thing together, and with anyone else at the helm it would have been destined to be simply a silly 80's action movie that would have faded into obscurity. Arnie is entirely synonymous with Commando - it's not simply 'that' great movie in which Arnold Schwarzenegger happens to play the lead role. Effectively he IS the movie.

Case in Point: Red Scorpion, another 80's action film with Lundgren in the lead role. Not an awful movie, and certainly more competent than Commando, but entirely forgettable as a decidedly generic action film.

No-one would ever claim that Arnie was a better actor than most, if any, of his contemporary rivals, but he had an undeniable charm that added something to the movies he starred in beyond acting ability, and he always played to that strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nothing in the remake is going to beat Arnie's classic line
    when he rips off Ironside's arms and finally dumps him with
    the quip

"See you at the party, Richter!!!"

Sharon Stone: "But baby, we're married!"

Arnie shoots Stone in the head

Arnie: "Consider that a divorce!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Sharon Stone: "But baby, we're married!"

Arnie shoots Stone in the head

Arnie: "Consider that a divorce!!"

Classic Arnie right there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Camera pans to attractive mutant with three boobs. Benny is squeezing one of her boobs.

Benny: You make me wish I had three hands!
    Mutant: I think you're doing fine with two...

ONE OF THE GREATEST MOVIE SCENES OF ALL TIME
    SUE ME DICKHEAD
    WOOOO ARRRRRRRRGH GURRRRRLGE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tony, the ridiculously ugly one-eyed alien stops Arnie as he's walking upstairs in the club

Tony: "You've got a lot of nerve showing your face around here"

Arnie takes a look at his mush....

Arnie: "Look who's talking!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

What a crock!:pac:

It's famous because Arnie's in it, that's why all us 80's kids used to rent it back in the day.

We didn't need no internet back then to tell us about its chessy goodness, we already knew what we were getting cause Arnie was in it.

No Arnie, no cheese, get it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Its going to be so bad. Not so bad that its good, just bad

Well as is the style these days, a trailer... for the trailer has been released. Though as it's the first proper look we've got at the film in action, this trailer-trailer is actually kinda useful

Certainly stylistically it seems to be channeling Bladerunner / Deus Ex more than the Futureworld of the original film. Not sure that's a good choice as it could simply make the film seem even more derivative than it already runs the risk of doing.

well it certainly looks nice, how much of the Arnie one is part of the original novel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

well it certainly looks nice, how much of the Arnie one is part of the original novel?

they just used the concept really, it was only a short story so there wasnt much room to be too faithful to it

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

Whats the difference betwen the book and the film?

The book is very serious and the film is an entertaining action Arnie movie. What's surprising about "We Can Remember it for You Wholesale" is how close it is to Total Recall at least, up to a point. Both the story and the movie follow Douglas Quaid, an everyday guy in a loveless marriage who is inexplicably drawn to Mars. Realizing that he'll never be able to go to the planet in person, Quaid visits the offices of Rekall, Incorporated (traveling there and back in a taxi driven by a robot as in the film), where he elects to undergo a process that will insert the memories of a trip to Mars into his brain a trip where he adopts the role of a secret agent. Trouble is, before the process can even begin, Rekall's technicians discover that those memories already exist in Quaid's mind: he is a secret agent, and he did go to Mars. Having now remembered his other life, Quaid finds himself pursued by shadowy security forces intent on killing him.

Where the short story and the movie part ways is directly after this point. In the film, Quaid/Arnie heads off to Mars and gets involved in a Martian revolution. All of that was bolted on to Dick's story by Verhoeven and his writers, Dan O'Bannon et al; Dick's tale ends with Quaid returning to Rekall voluntarily to avoid being killed, there to have another, more outlandish memory implanted to override the secret agent/Mars one leading to a nice twist that's even more insane than what's gone before. But although the story and the movie diverge here, prior to this juncture they run along remarkably similar lines right down to those robot taxis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Argh! Enough with the Inception horns alrea-

Ooooo, totally gratuitous shot of Kate Beckinsale's ass. Yep, Len Wiseman is directing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Well as is the style these days, a trailer... for the trailer has been released. Though as it's the first proper look we've got at the film in action, this trailer-trailer is actually kinda useful

Certainly stylistically it seems to be channeling Bladerunner / Deus Ex more than the Futureworld of the original film. Not sure that's a good choice as it could simply make the film seem even more derivative than it already runs the risk of doing.

Trailers for trailers, when did this start?

transylman wrote: »
    Trailers for trailers, when did this start?

Its not a new thing teaser trailers have been around a while.

The first I noticed of it was with Prometheus. Apple had a three day count down to the release of the first trailer with snippets of it.

• Advertisement

Argh! Enough with the Inception horns alrea-

Ooooo, totally gratuitous shot of Kate Beckinsale's ass. Yep, Len Wiseman is directing this.

all trailers must now open with an aerial shot of a cityscape and then go:

quiet...
    *this summer*
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHH
    quiet....
    *mankinds greatest blah blah*
    BWAAAAAARRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHH
    quiet....
    *our last diddly something*
    BWWWWAAAAARRRGGHHHHHHHH
    quick cuts quick cuts quick cuts with big musical crescendo, jolting last image of somethingorother.

Advertisement