Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Recall (Remake)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

baalthor wrote: »
    Hello Hollywood! Philip K Dick wrote more than just three storys :mad:
    Yeah errm, you're probably forgetting Screamers (starring original robocop), Impostor (german movie), Minority Report, Paycheck (bad ben afflec movie), A Scanner Darkly and Next (bad nicolas cage movie). They've already turned a lot of his stories into movies.

I also don't understand the hatred for remakes. If done bad, big deal. If done right then we get a new updated movie. There's been plenty of good remakes like Insomina, 3:10 to Yuma, Let The Right One In, Dawn of the Dead, The Fly, The Thing, Scarface, Heat, Dirty Rotten Scoundrel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    I also don't understand the hatred for remakes. If done bad, big deal. If done right then we get a new updated movie. There's been plenty of good remakes like Insomina, 3:10 to Yuma, Let The Right One In, Dawn of the Dead, The Fly, The Thing, Scarface, Heat, Dirty Rotten Scoundrel etc

But plenty of bad ones. I'd type them here, but each character i type is 1 byte, and i dont want to over-run my 10GB allowance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

MrStuffins wrote: »
    But plenty of bad ones. I'd type them here, but each character i type is 1 byte, and i dont want to over-run my 10GB allowance!
    There are also plenty of bad movies made every year in relation to good ones. Maybe they should stop making movies to avoid the bad ones?

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    There are also plenty of bad movies made every year in relation to good ones. Maybe they should stop making movies to avoid the bad ones?

What a ridiculous answer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

How soon before they remake Bladerunner?

I'm sure somewhere a hollywood producer is checking Shia LeBeouf's availabilty ;)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

It's gonna be impossible to top the original. "See you at the party Richter"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

^ tend to agree...leave it alone!, but a Robocop reboot might be good, depends how they do it.

NOOOOOOOOOO Leave ROBOCOP alone, I only watched it and the sequel recently and they are still great. A remake would just be a gore/cgi fest. A sequel to replace part 3 I could live with.

The only Arnie film I could see re-made would be running man, but the 80's cheese would most certainly be removed so there would be no point in watching it. Colin = Arnie's left leg. Whoever came up with this idea should be flogged. Daniel Radcliffe is better suited than him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Arnie is spinning in his grave.

On Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Idiots, there's no way they could improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

http://www.slashfilm.com/colin-farrell-confirmed-total-recall-remake/

After Red Dawn, I've stopped being pissed off at remakes, and just accept it as a sad inevitability, much like death- but c'mon, TOTAL RECALL?! How could they think they're going to best this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Reading this thread this morning made me wanna watch the original again, lo and behold there it was in Xtravision for 4 quid this afternoon, yayyy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Apolloyon wrote: »
    How soon before they remake Bladerunner?

I'm sure somewhere a hollywood producer is checking Shia LeBeouf's availabilty ;)

no...just no ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

As long as it has the wan with three tits I'll go see it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Schwarzenegger had this to say about the remake:

Comment from Schwarzenegger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Dear god! I can't believe they are remaking Total Recall when I am still waiting for a Ubik film. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Schwarzenegger had this to say about the remake:

Comment from Schwarzenegger

Such range, such emotion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Colin Farrell as Quaid ? or in this case maybe Quail, since it is supposed to be more like the original Philip K Dick novella.

pfft, can't say I am looking forward to it - I am however looking forward to seeing the original masterpiece in 35mm on the big screen next week!!

:):):):)

the_monkey wrote: »
    Colin Farrell as Quaid ? or in this case maybe Quail, since it is supposed to be more like the original Philip K Dick novella.

pfft, can't say I am looking forward to it - I am however looking forward to seeing the original masterpiece in 35mm on the big screen next week!!

:):):):)

Where?????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ugh can see it now

"Benny, **** you ya priiikkkkkkkk!!!"

Just as the Music industry had died a horrible death, movies are going the same way.

Video games are the last shining light

I think people need to realise that this is not a remake in the strictest sense of the word but rather another adaption of the novel, one which is supposed ot be a far more faithful adaptation and as such I really would like to see them pull it off.

The original is a classics, I have 4 DVDs of it, from the initial vanilla disc to the Special Edition aswell as a R! and another in a boxset and yet still I'm tempted by the Blu Ray. It's a film that never gets old, Arnie is on top form and the action is up there with the greats yet as an adaptation of Dick's its disappoinitng.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i dont think its really a poor adaptation considering the original story is probably one of his worst

i dont understand why ubik still hasnt been made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Completely agree with what a few people have already said, if it doesnt turn out to be good the original can still be watched. I never mind remakes because it doesnt change whats good about the original and maybe, just maybe the may even be brilliant in their own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Where?????

Sorry it's in Barcelona ...see my other post on 35mm...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think people need to realise that this is not a remake in the strictest sense of the word but rather another adaption of the novel, one which is supposed ot be a far more faithful adaptation and as such I really would like to see them pull it off.

Its not a novel its based on ,its a short story ,20 pages long at max.
    The short story takes place on earth and only deals with a tiny part of the film.
    They really only took the concept from the story.

Its not a novel its based on ,its a short story ,20 pages long at max.
    The short story takes place on earth and only deals with a tiny part of the film.
    They really only took the concept from the story.

I've read the story and quite enjoy it though it is one of Dick's weakest efforts. I'm expecting them to expand on the story substantially but it would be nice of they retained some of Dick's trademark elements. The great thing about the source material is how much room there is to expand upon it creating something original and not just a remake of the Arnie film.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

Pretty hopeful about this one. Colin Farrell is good casting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 McPlato

Another remake. When will they learn!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The new script written by James Vanderbilt and Mark Bomback will be closer to the book it was based on written by Phillip K. Dick entitled 'We Can Remember it for You Wholesale'.

Producer Neal Moritz said: "It's closer to the book, the big difference is we don't go to space.
    That sounds very disappointing.
    The short story is very weak ,the film was far better .
    No space ,wtf ?
    Looks like they are going to stick to the short story for the film which wouldnt be a bad film but it wont be anywhere as good as the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Just saw this today.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/43961/kate-beckinsale-have-memory-jogged-total-recall
    Total Recall. She's fought vampires, decimated lycans, and even survived the wretched doldrums of the most boring white-out imaginable. Why not get a little action on Mars?

Deadline is reporting that Kate Beckinsale (pictured right) has been offered one of the female lead roles alongside Colin Farrell in the Sony Pictures remake. Beckinsale has been offered the role of Lori, who was portrayed in the 1990 Paul Verhoeven-directed actioner by Sharon Stone.

The original 1990 movie, based on the Philip K. Dick story We Can Remember It for You Wholesale, was about a man haunted by a recurring dream of journeying to Mars who comes to believe he is a secret agent and ends up on a Martian colony while the new story involves nation states Euromerica and New Shanghai.

Total Recall is being directed by Len Wiseman and produced by Neal Moritz and his Original Film banner. The redux will be landing in theatres on August 3rd, 2012.

I don't have high hopes for this film considering the cast.

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    Just saw this today.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/43961/kate-beckinsale-have-memory-jogged-total-recall

I don't have high hopes for this film considering the cast.

I was wondering, why the hell would anyone put Kate Beckinsale in the part of Lori? And then i saw the director! Len Wiseman?

This isn't going to be a remake really is it? They're making a new movie baced on a Dick story that happened to have a movie based on it already. They'll call it Total Recall to get asses on seats though.

I wish they wouldnt :(

Advertisement