Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Recall (Remake)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a320914/ethan-hawke-has-large-monologue-in-recall.html

Ethan Hawke has revealed that he has a five-page monologue to learn for Total Recall.
    It was reported last week that the Daybreakers actor would be making a cameo appearance in the highly-anticipated remake of the 1990 film.
    Hawke spoke to New York Magazine while attending the after-party for the off-Broadway play Knickerbocker, stating that the cameo will be larger than one would expect.
    "It's a five-page monologue," said Hawke of his part in the reboot. "Yeah, it's great. It's really good."
    However, the 40-year-old actor refused to say anything else on the movie. When asked if the character he would be playing would be recognizable from the 1990 film, Hawke answered: "I don't know."
    Colin Farrell, who will star in the remake, has promised that this version will be darker, despite the fact that it will have many of the same characters.
    Total Recall also stars Kate Beckinsale as Farrell's wife and Bryan Cranston as the villain Vilos Cohaagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This is going to be sh1t and I'm boycotting it by not going to see it, and I suggest anyone else who has objections to the remake should do the same. They keep making this crap because people keep going to see it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bryan Cranston is that one of the kids from Malcolm in the middle?? If it is I'm going to laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I will go see this film if they give the job of "mutant with three boobs" to Kelly Brook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Bryan Cranston is that one of the kids from Malcolm in the middle?? If it is I'm going to laugh
    Walter%2BWhite.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I will go see this film if they give the job of "mutant with three boobs" to Kelly Brook.
    But they'd have to use CGI or prosthetics to create the third boob, which would kinda defeat the whole point of casting Kelly Brook.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched this again the other night since the GF hadn't seen it. Heh, still a classic.

The GF was blown away by the violence in it and couldn't understand how it was allowed to be released like that. She's one who hasn't seen a lot of movies beyond 10 years old so 80's & 90's violence is a foreign concept to her, sort of interesting to see someone's reaction actually.

Still, I couldn't stop laughing at all the violence :pac: She really liked the movie, though. Any scene involving prosthetics / animatronics like Kuato genuinely freaked her out too which was a testament to the power of them over CGI.

But they'd have to use CGI or prosthetics to create the third boob, which would kinda defeat the whole point of casting Kelly Brook.

Do you think the mutant in the original really had three boobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I can't even report this post because Sad Professor is a mod.

Like telling kids about Santa.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm actually looking forward to it. I have always like Farrel and I think he gets a very hard time so for his sake more then anything I hope it's a hit.

Bryan Cranston automatically gets me interested, if you don't know why watch breaking bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You mean she didn't?! :eek: :pac:

I assume you mean the actress, in which case of course she didn't. So why cast Brook, who is famous for her naturalness, if they are just going to replace them with CGI or prosthetics?

why cast Brook, who is famous for her naturalness, if they are just going to replace them with CGI or prosthetics?

My imagination is strong enough to make me believe they're real. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Latest casting news from MovieWeb: Jessical Biel as Melina, and (negotiating) Bill Nighy as Kuato, the rebel leader. Hmm. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Yes - she was Francisco Scaramanga's sister...

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/colin-farrell-smoulders-in-first-official-total-recall-image?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=totalfilm&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+totalfilm%2Fimdbnews+%28Total+Film+IMDb+aggregate%29

The first official shot from the Colin Farrell-led Total Recall reboot has been loaded up online.

A remake of the much-loved 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi, this new Total Recall uses the same Philip K Dick story (We Can Remember It For You Wholesale), but updates it for a modern audience.

Carrell plays factory worker Doug Quaid, who finds out that he’s really an undercover spy. But is he working for Euromerica or enemy New Shanghai?

This first image doesn’t exactly sell the remake as anything particularly noteworthy just yet, even if Farrell is pulling his best action man scowl.

If anything, it recalls the scene in the Arnie version when Quaid attempts to get through Mars’ security.

Hopefully the next pic from the film will reveal Bryan Cranston as Recall’s villain. Now that really should be something.
    See the full image below...
    colin-farrell-smoulders-in-first-official-total-recall-image-61739-01-470-75.jpg
    Total Recall opens 22 August 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

GET READY FOR A SURPRISE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Already I can tell it's nothing like the original.

I mean, where's the Casio Calculator on the guard's arm!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

GET READY FOR A SURPRISE
    Get ready for an epic fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Look what's been "driving" around the University of Toronto this week:

total-recall_car_chrysler_01c.jpg

It's a Chrysler, believe it or not. Picture from daily dose of imagery.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Sorry, I don't know how to link a dailymotion video, but here's a link to a 30 second teaser (ignore the advert beforehand!). My feeling...meh ...but I'm open to the possibility it could be quite good.

http://dai.ly/xKEjpC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Sorry, I don't know how to link a dailymotion video, but here's a link to a 30 second teaser (ignore the advert beforehand!). My feeling...meh ...but I'm open to the possibility it could be quite good.

http://dai.ly/xKEjpC

Looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Wont touch Arnie in the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yesterday brought word that work on the remake of one of Paul Verhoeven’s beloved ‘80s action classics, RoboCop, had stalled at MGM. But now there’s fresh intel on another of the director’s American films that has been mooted as a remake target for years: Die Hard 4.0’s Len Wiseman is now in negotiations to retool Total Recall.
    The Heat Vision blog reports that Wiseman is talking to Sony Columbia about an updated version of the 1990 pic, which saw Arnold Schwarzenegger as Douglas Quaid (or is it Hauser?), a construction worker who decides to take a virtual vacation to Mars via the technology of the Rekall company, which can implant fake memories in peoples’ noggins. But then he starts recalling that he’s actually a secret agent whose cover has been blown.
    Cue a trip to the real Red Planet to start discovering the truth and a battle to help the locals overthrow a despotic ruler bent on controlling the air production. Delusion and reality blend. Three-boobed hookers abound. Well, one of them.
    Based on Philip K Dick’s story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, Total Recall has been a likely subject for a remake (and before that, a sequel) and the source material for two short-lived TV shows.
    This time out, Equilibrium writer/director (and Salt scribe) Kurt Wimmer is tackling the script, and it’s not yet known whether he’ll stick to the same plot as the original or take it off in new directions.
    Wiseman, meanwhile, worked on the pilot for another reboot, this time TV’s Hawaii Five-0 and is also in the running to possibly return to shoot another John McClane outing.

TOOL being the operative word. Seriously, how Hollywood can keep messing with classics instead of coming up with new ideas really irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wont touch Arnie in the original.

I tend to agree with you im a huge fan of old Arnie films, but im willling to give this a chance you never know if doenright it could be good if not well have fun mocking how bad it is compared to the original ;).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm you know it may be one for the 'unpopular movies' thread, but I think people around here are unfairly writing off the remake whilst seriously overestimating the Arnie version. I mean it's good, but it's not that good.
    *ducks and covers*

Side-stepping the issue of how faithful (or not) the original film was to the source material, it's no masterpiece. Sure it's a good ride, but let's be brutally honest here - it was a pretty trashy, schlocky affair. I mean it starred Ronny Cox & Michael Ironside for goodness sake ;) and truthfully I always hated Swarchenegger outside of his Terminator movies - I just never bought him as an action star. Yes yes, the cheesy tone was part of its charm I get that, but the Verhoeven version shouldn't be perceived an untouchable masterpiece.

There's a lot of potential in the Total Recall story & has the makings to be a competent sci-fi thriller. I see no reason why the two versions couldn't live side by side, each as worthy as the other, whilst taking different directions in how to tell the story. Of course the new one has Len Wiseman at the helm so I wouldn't hold my breath ...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm you know it may be one for the 'unpopular movies' thread, but I think people around here are unfairly writing off the remake whilst seriously overestimating the Arnie version. I mean it's good, but it's not that good.
    *ducks and covers*

Side-stepping the issue of how faithful (or not) the original film was to the source material, it's no masterpiece. Sure it's a good ride, but let's be brutally honest here - it was a pretty trashy, schlocky affair. I mean it starred Ronny Cox & Michael Ironside for goodness sake ;)and truthfully I always hated Swarchenegger outside of his Terminator movies - I just never bought him as an action star. Yes yes, the cheesy tone was part of its charm I get that, but the Verhoeven version shouldn't be perceived an untouchable masterpiece.

There's a lot of potential in the Total Recall story & has the makings to be a competent sci-fi thriller. I see no reason why the two versions couldn't live side by side, each as worthy as the other, whilst taking different directions in how to tell the story. Of course the new one has Len Wiseman at the helm so I wouldn't hold my breath ...

Dear god man :mad::mad:, I was kinda agreeing with you until you threw that bit in after that I couldnt take anything you said seriously :p. Whatever about questioning one film but slating a whole loads of classics in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I always hated Swarchenegger outside of his Terminator movies

I can't read the posts of someone who didn't like Arnie in Predator.

THEY ARE THE POSTS OF A MADMAN!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dear god man :mad::mad:, I was kinda agreeing with you until you threw that bit in after that I couldnt take anything you said seriously :p. Whatever about questioning one film but slating a whole loads of classics in one go.
    I think any 'classics' Swarchenegger had that status despite the Austrian actor, not because of him. And I should note that this is coming from someone who loves Predator (and loves it enough to forgive Predator 2 :D); he's still the weakest link in it. I don't want to seem to be over-analyzing an 80s action-star, but I never thought Swarchenegger had the charm, presence, acting chops, or even action chops that some of his peers had. I just didn't see the appeal *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think any 'classics' Swarchenegger had that status despite the Austrian actor, not because of him. And I should note that this is coming from someone who loves Predator (and loves it enough to forgive Predator 2 :D); he's still the weakest link in it. I don't want to seem to be over-analyzing an 80s action-star, but I never thought Swarchenegger had the charm, presence, acting chops, or even action chops that some of his peers had. I just didn't see the appeal *shrug*

his peers you say? who would you put above him?

• Advertisement

Im sorry but I have to disagree with you on that one Arnie and the 80,s action flick were like the perfect lovechild, they just just went so well together. Arnie is what made Commando, Running Man etc so great, no way could Stallone, Van Damme, Willis even made them the films they are. The reason there so loved is because of Arnies one liners which made them funny but entertaining and also incredibly quotable. Ye he wasnt the greatest of actors but he played to his strengths and knew exactly what the audience wanted, which was action and plenty of it, not much of a plot to be honest and some laughs in between. He never took himself too seriously by trying to make them deep thinking films.

Advertisement