Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

serfboard wrote: »
    As I've said before, despite being from the West, I'm surprised that Gort-Crusheen got priority over this road (or Mallow->Croom N20), particularly given the appalling accident statistics on this stretch of road. (I know there's a general point which gives the ARC priority, but still Noel Dempsey did say that safety was going to be a concern in defining priorities).

I'm not TBH. It got funding solely because its the West, and the Government, while cutting back on Oranmore - Gort, conveniently not mentioning Claregalway (again) and knowing damn well that ABP would cut back the Galway bypass to a useless pile of junk, made a song and a dance about still funding projects in the west "IN THESE DIFFICULT ECONOMIC TIMES".

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

jd wrote: »
    I wopnder do the NRA know about this? It will be the M11 at this stage, surely they will be told to feck off somewhere else

http://www.goreyecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mhauidgbsn&cat=news

It is the last (or second last) weekend before the kids go back to school. Hopefully it will work out, only northbound traffic will be diverted through Gorey

If the event goes ahead I doubt there would be any traffic diverted off the main road as only the wide hard shoulder would be required for competitors. The Arklow bypass has been used for cycle races in the evenings for the past 3/4 years without disruption to traffic while the whole route from Arklow north to Clough has been used this year. In addition the nature of this event would see small groups or indivuduals spread out over a long distance rather than big groups of cyclists together.

Obviously the change to Motorway status would put the use of the road in doubt and I know the local cycling clubs have been searching for alternate routes for their events.

I would imagine the running leg (bad pun!) of the event would cause more disruption in Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

This event has a cycling leg of 180 km - a circuit of the northbound lane (x4) !!

Did a bit of searching
    http://eireman.org/drupal-6.6/node/10

A MAJOR new development at Fassaroe on the edge of the N11 would be 'crazy' without significantly upgrading the national route, according to Chairman of Wicklow County Council, Derek Mitchelll.
    The proposal, which is open for submission until the close of business today (Wednesday), would see the creation of a new town with a population of 7,000 and some 16,000 workers at the Fassaroe site, one mile west of Bray...

http://www.braypeople.ie/news/new-town-could-lead-to-a-traffic-nightmare-1595997.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

A MAJOR new development at Fassaroe on the edge of the N11 would be 'crazy' without significantly upgrading the national route, according to Chairman of Wicklow County Council, Derek Mitchelll.
    The proposal, which is open for submission until the close of business today (Wednesday), would see the creation of a new town with a population of 7,000 and some 16,000 workers at the Fassaroe site, one mile west of Bray...

http://www.braypeople.ie/news/new-town-could-lead-to-a-traffic-nightmare-1595997.html

...if other economies and property booms are anything to go by, I guess the above isn't happening anytime soon! :pac:

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Also less likely if the re-designation of the speed limit to 120 happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

Sections of N11 getting a speed limit INCREASE!!!

See motors section of todays Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭Stark

120km/hr outside Beehive ftw.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Found an online version of the report:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2009/0211/1233867930797.html

Looks like 20km/hr increase northbound through Glen of the Downs and Kilmacanogue.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

In the case of the southbound carriageway through Kilmacanogue, an egress from a filling station close to an exit slip road meant it would be too dangerous to raise the limit, said Mitchell.

This is really dangerous even at 60. Just force the traffic exiting the petrol station to to use the off ramp, put in some of the plastic barrier yokes.

When are they going to raise the 60 limit around wyattville?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

maclek wrote: »
    This is really dangerous even at 60. Just force the traffic exiting the petrol station to to use the off ramp, put in some of the plastic barrier yokes.

I honestly cannot believe why this already hasn't happened.

I've nearly hit 3 cars in the last month at this garage. The problem is if you indicate too early they think you're heading into the garage and pull out. If you indicate too late, they think you're continuing along the N11 and head out anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

nordydan wrote: »
    I honestly cannot believe why this already hasn't happened.

I've nearly hit 3 cars in the last month at this garage. The problem is if you indicate too early they think you're heading into the garage and pull out. If you indicate too late, they think you're continuing along the N11 and head out anyway!!

Any time I use this garage I always exit left and go up the ramp to join the N11 at the other exit as it is far too dangerous trying to pull out here. Even trying to get out of the garage to use the ramp is difficult at times. Some people seem just hell bent on not letting you and will accelerate rather than facilitate you. I can't understand how this crazy situation was ever allowed. That exit should have been moved further from the garage AND traffic exiting from there should be made use the ramp and join the dual carriage way at the far side. A crazy situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

It needs to be looked at again.

Local interest groups were responsible for the situation, afraid the village would die if there was not direct N11 access to the station. Likewise the northbound slips are not great either.

Ultimatly this will be redesignated motorway, so a bit of redesign is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Stupido wrote: »
    Ultimatly this will be redesignated motorway, so a bit of redesign is needed

it'll never be redesignated motorway through Kilmac.

As others have said, the slip needs to be segregated right back as far as the lavender field and preferably there should be a rear exit from the service station leading to the flyover (though I'm not sure if there is space for this)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Still on the N11 but a bit off topic... when are Wicklow Co Co going to put back the welcome to the county signs?

at Bray and coming in off the shiny new Gorey bypass, you wouldn't even know you were in Wicklow................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Slightly off topic, i was driving on the Gorey by-pass heading south on sunday and going by the rest area /layby the amount of rubbish was a disgrace, why didn't the council provide at leat 1 bin for peope to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Badabing wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, i was driving on the Gorey by-pass heading south on sunday and going by the rest area /layby the amount of rubbish was a disgrace, why didn't the council provide at leat 1 bin for peope to use.

because the council would have to empty the bins if they provided them, while in theory, prosecuting people for littering would bring money into the council....

because the council would have to empty the bins if they provided them, while in theory, prosecuting people for littering would bring money into the council....

Litter is always a contentious issue when it come to how to deal with it. If you leave bins out then it will attract litter. I know this sounds a bit odd but it is the case. If there are no bins then conscientious people will take their litter away with them but litter louts will litter anyway. If you put bins there, the litter louts will still litter anyway and others will use the bins for more than just their few sweet wrappers, etc. Other household rubbish will accumulate there as well. Litter bins will attract littering and it's not as simple as just emptying the bins regularly. It's a no win situation for everyone except for the litterers who will just dump regardless until they are caught and then they will do it elsewhere.
    On the two layby on the Gorey ByPass the Council has installed CCTV's and have said that prosecutions are pending. It takes a while but eventually people will get the message not do dump there. Unfortunately they will just do it elsewhere instead. Just look at the woods in Courtown.
    Look anywhere, in fact. Look at the streets in Gorey and you will see plenty of litter despite there being several bins along the street. Litterers don't use the bins because they don't care. It's someone else's problem, not theirs "so f**k off!!"
    Have you ever challenged anyone for littering? Try it sometime and you will see what I mean.
    Sorry for this rant, it's gone off the original thread. I didn't raise the topic but I hope I've answered the question. And before you ask, no I'm not a litter warden and I don't work for the Council. I've been involved in many community projects and have seen how litter 'works'.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Badabing wrote: »

I was driving southbound on Easter Sunday morning and the lay-by was full of caravans. They were gone when we drove back northbound that evening but I'm guessing they left behind a lot of rubbish.

Morgase wrote: »
    I was driving southbound on Easter Sunday morning and the lay-by was full of caravans. They were gone when we drove back northbound that evening but I'm guessing they left behind a lot of rubbish.

It's possible but, in fairness, litter is always bad there. There was an encampment set up on the old Arklow to Gorey road at parallel to the bypass and were there for several days. I dread to think what accumulated there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Morgase wrote: »

The Council wouldn't put litter bins there because they said people would put litter in them.
    I kid you not.

Also the road is NRA controlled, not local council.

I think they said it is not meant to be a picnic area. Why can't people bring their rubbish with them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I think they said it is not meant to be a picnic area. Why can't people bring their rubbish with them??

Why indeed? I crossed the car park of the local church recently and saw a guy merrily tipping the contents of his ashtray out the car window as he drove out after Mass, it's a countrywide disease.
    The only reason provision of litter bins at the rest area was being discussed was because there was a problem with litter. If the problem exists , take steps to address it. What's the point of waffling on about whether it is or isn't a picnic area, that's not going to stop the plastic bag blowing on to your windscreen.
    Eventually the Community Warden went out and cleared the area and I think there are now plans to provide bins.

In an ideal world . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Anybody hear that Rathnew/Arklow link got the go ahead. I was listening to Eastcoast radio yesterday and heard them talking about it but I can't find anything online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats the delineation contract, and basically involves putting up signage poles preparing for (possible) redesignation.

Motorway order was signed for this. I'd surmise that the Gorey Bypass has been given the nod for redesignation

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/News/Name,8679,en.html

The County Wexford National Road Programme under Transport 21 took another major step forward today (Tuesday 2nd June), when the Motorway Order for the M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy Scheme was signed. Under this order the necessary lands for the 39 km of new roads will be acquired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I'd surmise that the Gorey Bypass has been given the nod for redesignation

Nope. Minister Dempsey only got the papers a week or two ago.

Give it at least a month I reckon.

Advertisement