Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Did the bypass fully open today?

All the original communications (per this thread) indicated the 4th but recently I had been hearing the 12th (wasn't sure if that was the official opening or there was a delay of a week).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 drfisher

"Official" opening Thursday 13th September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I can well understand a bit of a delay, given the terrible weather this summer.

Its held up the completion of the ancillary roads of the Ennis bypass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dublin2

I would disagree that the N25 between Rosslare and Wexford does not warrant dualling. It has the traffic volumes to support it now , its just way down the list in NRA priority. In fact Rosslare port cannot expand unless there is a motorway built. But the stifling tunnel vision of government cannot allow any vision or any putting in place of infrastructure in advance of need or to stimulate development. They think they are great just because they are trying to play catch up.

The last project in this country where infrastructure was put in place in advance of need is the Shannon region in the 1960's. We have lost all vision and control since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

Full Gorey Bypass opens today at 14:30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 drfisher

In today's Irish Times (13th Oct 2007):

"Dempsey to face pressure over final N11 upgrade"
    Tim O'Brien

The article mentions the diversion of funds to the Waterford MIU route. Apparently, instead of an upgrade, we're going to get a "Garda satefy campaign". The 2010 start date was mentioned again. Let's hope we're not in a recession when that date comes around ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

drfisher wrote:
    In today's Irish Times (13th Oct 2007):

"Dempsey to face pressure over final N11 upgrade"
    Tim O'Brien

The article mentions the diversion of funds to the Waterford MIU route. Apparently, instead of an upgrade, we're going to get a "Garda satefy campaign". The 2010 start date was mentioned again. Let's hope we're not in a recession when that date comes around ...

as I have posted before.. Gorey bypass wasn't due to start until this year but was started early because the Waterford Bypass was held up due to Woodstown Viking find and funds were diverted to Gorey. How can the IT now lay the blame for not finishing the N11 just on the Waterford - Dublin MIU when all the other MIU's are also taking money from the exchequer:mad:

The Sunday Business Post - June 2003 - http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2003/06/29/story785824917.asp
    =============================
    Although it is 54 miles from Dublin, Gorey is now at the southern-most edge of the capital's commuter belt, with the opening of the Arklow bypass making commuting into the city centre more feasible.
    When the Kilmacanogue bypass is finally completed in August this year, the ongoing congestion at the Glen of the Downs will be a thing of the past for commuters based in Wexford and Wicklow.

By the end of 2004, the Ashford bypass should be up and running, reducing commuting time to south Dublin on the N11 (now designated as Euro Route 01, linking Waterford, Dublin, Belfast and Larne) to 40 minutes.

There are also plans to build a Gorey bypass, but it is still unclear when construction will begin. Optimists are predicting that work on this project will start in 2007.When completed, it is expected to stimulate huge growth in the Gorey area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Bards wrote:
    Full Gorey Bypass opens today at 14:30

Is the speed limit 120 or 100? I hope it's 120 but suspect it is 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Vireo

E92 wrote:
    Is the speed limit 120 or 100? I hope it's 120 but suspect it is 100.

Good question. There's no speed limit signs and the way cars are driving on it, it looks more like a limit of 200 kph :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Hi All

I'm wondering wrt the works ongoing at Kilpedder, heading northbound not far from entering the Glen o'Downs the new road seems narrower than before?

It looks like its the finishing layer of tar on the road, but the outer (right side) white line is in places 4-to-5 feet from the edge of the central median.
    This reduces the hard shoulder and may make it harder for people joining the road from the back of Kilpedder village.

Has anyone else noticed this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Hi All

I'm wondering wrt the works ongoing at Kilpedder, heading northbound not far from entering the Glen o'Downs the new road seems narrower than before?

It looks like its the finishing layer of tar on the road, but the outer (right side) white line is in places 4-to-5 feet from the edge of the central median.
    This reduces the hard shoulder and may make it harder for people joining the road from the back of Kilpedder village.

Has anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i'd imagine they're going to close off all the old accesses once the new junction is complete - at the moment there are 3 entrances onto the N11 northbound from Kilpedder\Willow Grove.

I find traffic is now worse in both directions, early morning traffic into Dublin from Kilpedder in is a lot worse than it has been and while it now takes me a little over an hour to get from Sandyford to Camolin, it takes me another hour to get home (where it used to take 30 - 45 minutes) from there, so net/net; no difference going home and a lot longer in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Ferns junction is now a mini roundabout! Its fine in normal traffic, but I can see it being hole-in-bucket useful on a Friday at 4/5 pm.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What I'd like to know is when they're going to pull their fingers out and get that damn footbridge at the Enniskerry turn-off completed at last. The bridge itself has been up for ages now, but they've been faffing about putting in the footpath around the Herbert Road turn-off and putting in lighting and stuff for several months now, working at slower than a snails pace and still with "Major Road Works Ahead" signs and that silly 60km/h limit in place. Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Someone from Wicklow CC must be reading this forum .. the 60km/h signs have finally gone! Of course, this being Ireland, most regular users of the road seem to assume they're still there and slow down anyway ...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

WHAT?! :eek:

Oh thank god, I thought they were never going to remove those cursed things. "Narrow lanes. Major roadworks" me ass. No wonder people are so cynical about speed limits in this country.

The roadworks have now been completed on Ferrycarrig bridge.

Resurfacing is ongoing in Ferns

They seem to have finished work on the N11 proper (side roads still under construction) at Kilpedder and Bray .....

... Traffic still seems to be worse than ever from Kilpedder to the M50 every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

from this weeks Bray People:
    The new Kilpeddar interchange on the N11 is now due to open in December, bringing months of misery to an end for local motorists.

There had been speculation that the €34.6 million project may be completed by the end of this month, but the NRA has poured cold water on those hopes by insisting the work is on schedule to be completed by end of the year. We're targeting a December date, so it should be ready for use before Christmas,'explained Michael Egan, Head of Corporate Affairs with the NRA, leaving them firmly on track.

There is currently no right turn onto the N11 for motorists from Kilpeddar travelling south towards Wexford; they must first drive north to Kilmacanogue to change onto the southbound carriageway.

Motorists turning right for Dublin face a similar problem. The Kilpeddar interchange will link the Greystones Southern Access route to the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

So what happens next on this route? I guess the stretch between Arklow and Rathnew will be dualled next. I think Wexford CoCo want to upgrade Clogh to just South of Oylegate (bypassing Enniscorthy) as one project- I can't find a reference for this but I am fairly sure I read it somewhere.

• Advertisement

Wont be done till after the interurbans, anyway. 2010 earliest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

jd wrote: »
    So what happens next on this route? I guess the stretch between Arklow and Rathnew will be dualled next. I think Wexford CoCo want to upgrade Clogh to just South of Oylegate (bypassing Enniscorthy) as one project- I can't find a reference for this but I am fairly sure I read it somewhere.
    It's listed as two different schemes on the NRA's site, but maybe they'll build both at the same time.

Traditionally the NRA publish a list of projects that will be ongoing or started during each year at the start of the year. Haven't seen it for this year yet but wonder if the Rathnew to Arklow section will get funded.

I really doubt that much will start this year. I know the two N18 sections are gonna start, but theres one hell of a lot of (interurban) stuff being built at the moment, so I'd say the amount of stuff starting this year will be only a handful.

N18 schemes, N8 Fermoy - Mitchelstown, N7 missing bits, 2 N9 schemes.

Probobly nothing much else starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

N18 schemes, N8 Fermoy - Mitchelstown, N7 missing bits, 2 N9 schemes. Probobly nothing much else starting.
    Not much there, eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Are both N18 schemes starting? crusheen-gort and gort-oranmore?

That would be great if they get going....now for the N20.

Yeah apparently both are going to start construction in Q4 2008, tho contractors are usually around before that.

Archaeology was being done in late November when I was up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd say the Gort-Oranmore N18 will have to be done at least, what with the M17 being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What's the story with the junction north of Kilpeddar that was supposed to open in December???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

should be open before the end of the month (which I guess means next week)

don't quote me on that though.

Advertisement