Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Nope. Minister Dempsey only got the papers a week or two ago.

Can someone explain to me why the transport minister has only just received tranche #2, which was publicly released in October 2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why the transport minister has only just received tranche #2, which was publicly released in October 2008?

this is noel dempsey, see how up to speed he is on the passenger train service to navan.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

I think there is a period of consultation when the general public, developers, councillors etc can make submissions and when that is over the the dept presents the papers to the minister

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Anyone notice the new polls on the Gorey bypass - are they for the M signs?

Also anyone hear anymore on the status of the PPP schemes, particularly the 2 N11 ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

PoolDude wrote: »
    Anyone notice the new polls on the Gorey bypass - are they for the M signs?

These are put up for new ADS signage and have been seen around the country. The reason there is no sign on it yet is because the NRA are waiting for Noel Dempsey to sign off the motorway redesignations so it will be either the N11 or M11 that will be put up. Its all up to Noel Dempsey at the minute and you might be waiting a while to see what happens :rolleyes:
    Also anyone hear anymore on the status of the PPP schemes, particularly the 2 N11 ones?

See here: http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,16119,en.pdf

They are put in line to go out to tender but we wont know until next year when the financial crisis might be coming to an end hopefully to see if any of these get funding.

• Advertisement

The below sections of the N11 become Motorway on August 28th

SECTIONS OF NATIONAL ROADS AND PROPOSED ROAD
    DEVELOPMENTS DECLARED AS MOTORWAYS UNDER THIS
    ORDER

Reference in this Schedule to—
    N followed by a number is a reference to a national road
    R followed by a number is a reference to a regional road

N11 — Ashford to Rathnew
    The section of the N11 between its junction with the R772 at Kilmartin and
    its junction with the R772 at Ballynabarney, via the townlands of Rathmore,
    Mountusher, Rossanna Lower and Ballybeg, all in the county of Wicklow.

N11 — Arklow Bypass
    The section of the N11 between its junction with the R772 at Templerainey
    and its junction with the R772 at Cooladangan, via the townlands of Kilbride,
    Ballyraine Middle, Ballyraine Upper and Kish, all in the county of Wicklow.

N11 — Arklow to Gorey (also known as the N11 Gorey to Arklow Link)
    The section of the N11 between its junction with the R772 at Cooladangan in
    the county of Wicklow and its junction with the R772 at Ballinclay in the county
    of Wexford, via the townlands of Ashwood Upper, Ballyellin, Inch, Tinnock
    Lower, Toberduff, Courteencurragh, Raheenagurren West, Coolnastudd and
    Clogh, in the county of Wexford.

Looks like it will end up Motorway from Kilmartin to Oilgate once the next two sections are started/completed.
    Anyone know where the R772 at Kilmartin is?

BTW: Just looking at my 1st post on this thread in 2004 - good progress in the last 5 years it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Anyone know where the R772 at Kilmartin is?

coming from Dublin its the first junction for Ashford (it will be J14 I think)

Looking at the map now, the R772 actually continues north from here through Newtown to Kilquade - given that the Newtown bypass is grade-seperated and has no private accesses onto it, I'm surprised they didn't extend the redesignation north to the Garden Village junction (future J12) - I had assumed it was due to a lack of an alternative route, but the R772 provides that (though part of it may be fairly narrow).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Loyatemu, there are two bus stops on the mainline carriageway on the section you're referring to (north of where the redesignation begins). Maybe they couldn't/didn't want to remove these...

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

actually looking at the Wikipedia page for the R772 (I can't believe someone is putting up pages for minor regional roads, but still...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R772_road

even though the road is continuous thru Ashford and Newtown, they've used some very narrow country lanes to do this, so its not really suitable as an "alternate route" (though this does raise the question of how it can be considered appropriate for a regional road):

800px-IMG_R772road1893.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Seems odd to try to join disparate parts of the R772 together with any old road. After all the R445 has had seperate bits for years (e.g. through Kildare, nothing between Portlaoise and Roscrea, Roscrea main roads, nothing between Roscrea and Nenagh, Nenagh main roads, nothing between Nenagh and Limerick) although it will be continuous Limerick-Dublin eventually.

I find it worrying that I have number of R roads memorized now. People find it odd enough to know all the N roads and even motorways (despite the relatively few there are - most people wouldn't know beyond ones they use).

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

So driving from Enniscorthy to Dublin and I notice the signs now say M11 from the Clogh Roundabout....

100kph/120kph????

It will be 120-on aug 28th. Speed limit signs will probably be last to change

Only noticed today, the northbound section through Kilmacanogue, the limit is increased to 80km/h and the limit goes back up to 100 at the gore of the turn for the Avoca shop, instead of at the onmerge.

Southbound the speedlimit goes back up to 100 north of the overbridge, where it used to be south of here.

And I think the 80 limit northbound through the Glen of the Downs was gone, not completely sure but didn't notice the 80km/h signs.

Also the start of the northern section of M11 is signposted and speedlimited from the gore for the Fassaroe/Bray instead of after the onmerge.

The middle section of M11 is fairly short, I wonder if there couldn't be some arrangement to have the higher limit on the Newtown bypass, with restrictions for the part with no alternative route from Newtown to Cullenmore.
    Have any other motorways three or more sections? the M9 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Excellent. I've heard these speed limit changes were in the works for some time, wasn't sure when they'd get round to them.
    And I think the 80 limit northbound through the Glen of the Downs was gone, not completely sure but didn't notice the 80km/h signs.

Yup, that was part of the plan.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The middle section of M11 is fairly short, I wonder if there couldn't be some arrangement to have the higher limit on the Newtown bypass, with restrictions for the part with no alternative route from Newtown to Cullenmore.
    Have any other motorways three or more sections? the M9 maybe.

Not yet but the M9 may have three seperate sections, Kilcullen, Carlow and down at the Waterford end for a bit. M6 is in two sections. M1 and M8 have been broken up before, definitely was 3 on the M1 once - Airport, Balbriggan and Dunleer BPs

I suppose the M9'll eventually be all one, the M11'll always be in at least 2 parts.

Well at least there moving on this project be a long time yet though

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=MAY118733

Anybody hear if/how this is progressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved to Infrastructure.

Anybody hear if/how this is progressing?

Guess not :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Only noticed today, the northbound section through Kilmacanogue, the limit is increased to 80km/h and the limit goes back up to 100 at the gore of the turn for the Avoca shop, instead of at the onmerge.

Southbound the speedlimit goes back up to 100 north of the overbridge, where it used to be south of here.

Also the start of the northern section of M11 is signposted and speedlimited from the gore for the Fassaroe/Bray instead of after the onmerge.
    Suppose what they give on one hand they take on t'other. The 80kmh limit at Barndarrig was extended south to where the Minibus crash that killed 5 people some years back occurred. So Lil Doyles and Darcy's Petrol Station are now in the new lower limit. There are also what appear to be temporary 50 signs ( They'll presumably light up for the temporary limit) around the junction near Lil Doyles.

A lot of Scrub was cleared either on the site or right beside it south of Jack Whites, in two places, one west of the existing road and another east of the road opposite the roof truss engineering place.

Are you referring to the original clearnance work or has their been recent activity? I doubt much can happen till the tenders are complete and awarded unless the Co.Co are trying to keep it tidy until then.

It was around about the 6th of this month, round the time I posted here.

I couldn't see if it was on the land cpo'd for the road or between that land and the existing road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

yeah i noticed that ground clearance work also,on my daily trip to college. as mentioned previously above tho,tenders have not even gone out for the n11 upgrade project,i noticed today on the way back a sign saying roadworks on the 28th of sept jus before lil doyles...

Not sure what they are actually doing there - is it a bus stop?

Further down the clearance work still seems to be motoring ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Clearing stuff like hedges and walls is cheap and improves sightlines and safety very dramatically on what is a dangerous stretch .....and most especially if you do not intend to build the M11 "missing link" for another 4 or 5 years anyway as would currently appear to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Clearing stuff like hedges and walls is cheap and improves sightlines and safety very dramatically on what is a dangerous stretch .....and most especially if you do not intend to build the M11 "missing link" for another 4 or 5 years anyway as would currently appear to be the case.

Is that on the last remaining narrow S2 section (about 6.0-6.5m wide) that goes on for a mile or so? I know that a minor re-alignment (probably a NRA-DMRB-RS2 spec) was carried out near the Tap a couple of years back - it's the section between that and the Beehive I'm thinking about.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

From www.wicklow.ie-
    Road works will commence on the N11 at Barndarrig on the 28th September. A two-way traffic management system will be in place for the duration of the works. Motorists are asked to be extra vigilant and familiarize themselves with the new temporary arrangements. The road works are necessary to facilitate the construction of pedestrian facilities at Barndarrig.

Dick Roches website also mentions road safety measures.

• Advertisement

Is that on the last remaining narrow S2 section (about 6.0-6.5m wide) that goes on for a mile or so? I know that a minor re-alignment (probably a NRA-DMRB-RS2 spec) was carried out near the Tap a couple of years back - it's the section between that and the Beehive I'm thinking about.

Regards!

What I was talking about was on the WS2 section imediately north of the end of the Arklow bypass dual Carriageway and another section about 2km away also on WS2. The clearance was being done well off the route of the existing road, close to where the new road will be built. 50-100m off the existing road.

There were putting up what looked like temporary 50 kmh speed limit signs in Barndarrig back then, (the ones that light up a 50 limit at school time, every day not the type that's 50 for a few months)

Advertisement