Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 skinnybop

What's the story with the junction north of Kilpeddar that was supposed to open in December???

7th March i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Quadra

Yep, March 7 for the full opening.

Check http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/news/kilpeddar-1300050.html

Another smash between the Beehive & Tap last night I heard. Hope no one was badly hurt.

Get a wriggle on with the Arklow-Rathnew scheme Tendering Process, WCC / NRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Last exchange I had with a contact in WCC they had everything ready for the tender process - I think its now down to receiving the go ahead from the NRA to put it out to tender, I suspect this won't happen till mid year as they will not be in a position to start till next year anyway.

Good info PoolDude, keep that WCC contact sweet ;-)

Out of curiosity & interest, I was fishing around for a map of the proposed Arklow/Rathnew route but couldn't find one.

Closest I came was the B. Pleanala Inspectors report circa 2004 (http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/ER2/RER2032.pdf) which gives a good written description, but a picture speaks.....

Has anyone seen a map of the proposed route on the web?

I posted it somewhere in this thread a long time back but couldn't tell you which page it is on without looking. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The €34m Kilpedder interchange on the N11 in Co Wicklow has officially opened.

Minister for European Affairs Dick Roche officially opened the interchange.

The interchange, close to Kilpedder Village, provides a link between the N11 and the Farrankelly Road.
    Advertisement

The scheme also includes the construction of a footbridge at Kilpedder Village and improvements to the existing road network at Barry's Bridge.

The new interchange is expected to improve traffic on the N11, which is the main Dublin to Wexford route.

The tender process for the long-awaited N11 Arklow to Rathnew project will begin this year.

That project will be the last remaining link on the N11 Dublin to Gorey route.

When completed it will mean that road users will be able to travel on a motorway or dual carriageway from Dublin to south of Gorey in Co Wexford.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0307/roads.html

Gave the new Kilpedder interchange a roadtest at the weekend (in case you think I'm a sad, lonely anorak, I do actually live in the area. Honest).

I don't know about the claim that it "is expected to improve traffic on the N11".

I think the biggest effect will be coming north on the N11 for anyone in the Greystones/Kilcoole/Charlesland areas. It will for sure take about 10 mins off heading for the Glen Of The Downs loop-back, or exiting at Newtownm'kdy and going the back of Kilcoole for example.

Aside from that, southbound, I think it's neutral at best (unless you're off to Kilpedder, some minor benefit I'd say, rather then taking the next junction and loop-back).

Depending on where you live in the area (e.g. Kilcoole, Charlesland), northbound will cut out Delgany village, and I think that's the major anticipated effect of this; Delgany village traffic potentially reduced (there a realignment / calming scheme about to start there soon).

North bound won't make a difference to the Eden Gaters I reckon. Priory road through the end of Delgany village is about the same, maybe marginally faster.

Anyways, good to see the works completed. I travel northbound a lot, so it will save me 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they should now close the northbound accesses at Kilpedder and Willow Grove - they're just duplicating the new interchange and having several junctions in a short stretch of road is inherently unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Having a house in Roundwood, and the nearest supermarket as Tescos in Greystones, I can tell you that this interchange is great!!! It allows a straight line into the village.

I must also praise Wicklow CC on their resurfacing with cats eyes of the entire R755 between Kilmacanogue and Roundwood. God job.

A new DC between this interchange and the R755 at Djouce Mountain Golf Club is the obvious next step for the development of this part of South Wicklow...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

nordydan wrote: »
    A new DC between this interchange and the R755 at Djouce Mountain Golf Club is the obvious next step for the development of this part of South Wicklow...
    I never heard Kilpeddar or Kilquade or Willow Gover described as being in south Wicklow before....

I read the Irish times regurgitating the rpa untruths about eing able to tavel from South of Gorey to Jonesboro and not passing a rest stop or service area - Darcy's in Barndarrig probably aren't too impressed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

I read the Irish times regurgitating the rpa untruths about eing able to tavel from South of Gorey to Jonesboro and not passing a rest stop or service area - Darcy's in Barndarrig probably aren't too impressed....[/quote]

It's a disgrace that there is not a rest area on that streach of motorway but it's typical of our co. councils and the NRA.:mad:

Bido:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I read the Irish times regurgitating the rpa untruths about eing able to tavel from South of Gorey to Jonesboro and not passing a rest stop or service area - Darcy's in Barndarrig probably aren't too impressed....

Why, their filling station is small and is a rip off for fuel plus they have no significant parking certainly not enough room for a truck. Some trucks do stop at the beehive though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

but they are a service station on the n11. the article implied there were none. It also implied there was dual carriage way the entire way from Jonesboro to Clogh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

Quote:
    The €34m Kilpedder interchange on the N11 in Co Wicklow has officially opened.

Minister for European Affairs Dick Roche officially opened the interchange.

The interchange, close to Kilpedder Village, provides a link between the N11 and the Farrankelly Road.
    Advertisement

The scheme also includes the construction of a footbridge at Kilpedder Village and improvements to the existing road network at Barry's Bridge.

The new interchange is expected to improve traffic on the N11, which is the main Dublin to Wexford route.

The tender process for the long-awaited N11 Arklow to Rathnew project will begin this year.

That project will be the last remaining link on the N11 Dublin to Gorey route.

When completed it will mean that road users will be able to travel on a motorway or dual carriageway from Dublin to south of Gorey in Co Wexford.

I wonder why the NRA even bother having a website. According to their site the junction is still under construction. http://www.nra.ie/mapping/index.jsp

Not the only example of out of date info on their site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

rekrow wrote: »
    I wonder why the NRA even bother having a website. According to their site the junction is still under construction. http://www.nra.ie/mapping/index.jsp

Not the only example of out of date info on their site.
    It's only been a day; give them a chance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,252 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It was actually opened about 2 weeks ago.

Traffic does seem marginally better through that section now.
    It still slows to a stop in Kilmacanogoe and again at the Bray exits

Still no sign of the Arklow - Rathnew section going to Tender. The NRA website says it will be this year and the Wicklow CoCo says it was expected to commence construction in 2006!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The NRA gets €1.5bn a year so thats still cool, but

1. Where is the M50 Phase 3 ( €650m) on that list ?? It started in January

:

You would want to get your facts straight before educating others. Phase 3 of the M50 Upgrade did not start in January. Phase 3 of the upgrade is completed. Phase 3 of the M50 upgrade is between the N3 and N4 interchanges. Phase 2 of the upgrade started in January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

darkman2 wrote: »
    Phase 3 of the M50 Upgrade did not start in January. Phase 3 of the upgrade is completed. Phase 3 of the M50 upgrade is between the N3 and N4 interchanges. Phase 2 of the upgrade started in January.

Ah OK, only in Ireland could phase 3 be finished before phase two starts, that explains that then :)

it was the bit between the N3 and the Toll Bridge and yes it was probably finished and was not on the list , strike that .
    darkman2 wrote: »
    You would want to get your facts straight before educating others.

Lets remove that €650m over 3 years and we are still left with €1.7Bn per annum accounted for together with the unaccounted for bits as well.

I note you did not take any issue with any of the other figures or with the totals bar one m50 phase, now removed.

Any chance you could dig out the unaccounted for figures then instead of sniffily commenting on M50 phases????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

Just want to make a note about the N11. I have never been on a road with so many ill mannered, inconsiderate, unprofessional drivers. I've only been driving this road for the past few weeks and I have never come across anything like it in all my life. I originally worked down the country and recently moved up here. DO PEOPLE NOT KNOW WHAT A LEFT HAND LANE IS???????? I drive to work from Wicklow and leave about 6 or 6.30 every morning. I have constantly seen tailbacks, IN THE OUTSIDE LANE ONLY!! What is the story with these people. I saw a line of about 40 cars, no exageration, in the right hand lane, and nothing in the left lane. Is there a different rule for people in Wicklow that I don't know about??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭xabi

shamboo wrote: »
    Just want to make a note about the N11. I have never been on a road with so many ill mannered, inconsiderate, unprofessional drivers. I've only been driving this road for the past few weeks and I have never come across anything like it in all my life. I originally worked down the country and recently moved up here. DO PEOPLE NOT KNOW WHAT A LEFT HAND LANE IS???????? I drive to work from Wicklow and leave about 6 or 6.30 every morning. I have constantly seen tailbacks, IN THE OUTSIDE LANE ONLY!! What is the story with these people. I saw a line of about 40 cars, no exageration, in the right hand lane, and nothing in the left lane. Is there a different rule for people in Wicklow that I don't know about??

Its the same all over the country, welcome to Ireland, it takes the pleasure out of driving on our new roads, really gets on my wick!

X.

I was working in Cork for a bit and I never had any problems down there. It seems when you come above Waterford the rules of the road change. I can see now why there's so many accidents. Watching to much American tv thinking they have to drive in the right lane!! Dump a**eholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

WW reg plate stands for Worlds Worst. There are alot of bad drivers around the N11 alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I really want to see good renders of the New Ross Bypass bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

I've been travelling the N11 now for nearly 13 years between Gorey and the North Side of Dublin and there are so many things that people do that I just cannot understand. The standard of driving I witness is regularly appalling.
    - There seems to be a group of drivers who feel that if the traffic is going at 80km/hr then they are obliged to use the overtaking lane at 81 for the next 90 or 100 kilometres and everyone else must stay behind them for the length of time that they feel necessary to hold them up. They must get some sort of perverse satisfaction in seeing a long snaking tail-back in their rear-view mirror. JOKE! We all know that they don't use mirrors as they are just girly accessories needed exclusively for make-up.
    - Lane management by many drivers is almost regularly non-existent. I find the exit for Rathnew, southbound, particularly challenging. Why do people stay in the overtaking lane when they want to use that exit and cut across at the last minute? They feel they can stay in the overtaking lane until they reach the white line and chequered box of the exit before they need to cut across the left lane and they exit lane even after the last minute.
    - Why do people swing left to turn right and swing right to turn left? Why do some people move in to the right hand lane when they get to Loughlinstown heading in to the the city and stay there at 45 to 50km/hr until they reach the church at Donnybrook to turn right?
    - Why do some people pass everything on the dual carriageway or motorway at 120/130 km/hr and then slow to a crawl on single lanes where no one can pass them?
    - Why does no one stop at the stop sign at Lil Doyle's pub north of Arklow?
    - Why is it that the white the driver of the AMSE van with the Meath registration can drive at 130+ km/hr every morning to Dublin and intimidate every other driver off the road and not get caught? Or killed? Or kill someone else?
    - Why does the traffic stop at the stretch of road where the N11 merges south bound with the M50 at Loughlinstown? Travelling in first and second gear on a motor-way seems a bit ridiculous when there is no apparent reason for a hold-up, traffic isn't backed up at the Bray exits and the flow seems to just take off again at when the motorway ends and becomes a dual carriage-way.
    - Why is it so many motorists can't seem to manage their rear fog lights? I have a big orange light on my dashboard to warn me of mine, is that unique to Peugeot?
    - Why are there still so many drivers juggling their mobile phones while driving? To those who have tinted glass, we can still see you! Ostrich mentality doesn't work.

Should this be on another thread? It started off about and still applies to the N11 but... well... once I started it was hard to stop.

DARKROOM, a round of applause is deserved for your points. I see the same every morning. The only consolation that I get on the way to Dublin from Wicklow is when I see a row of cars in the outside lane, and I've seen as many as 40, with the inside lane empty, that I'm able to cruise without any traffic bothering me. Surely these people must feel like total twats or are they really that stupid that they don't even realise what their doing wrong. Seems to be a real case of 'Monkey see, Monkey do!!!!!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

- Why does the traffic stop at the stretch of road where the N11 merges south bound with the M50 at Loughlinstown? Travelling in first and second gear on a motor-way seems a bit ridiculous when there is no apparent reason for a hold-up, traffic isn't backed up at the Bray exits and the flow seems to just take off again at when the motorway ends and becomes a dual carriage-way.
    That one annoys me too. Traffic coming from Dublin on the N11 seems to think that they have to merge as soon as humanely possible, on pain of death, even if it means braking, coming almost to a halt and crossing over the cross-hatching, despite them having a whole kilometre or so of parallel slip road for the Bray North exit to merge properly. Then you get the morons who ignore any potential merging opportunities on that stretch until they get to the exit itself and push in, or even cross the cross hatching at the exit and carry on along the hard shoulder for a bit and then push in. I wish I was as (self-) important as they obviously think they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm a seasoned wicklow commuter on the N11 from about 7:30 - 7:45 each morning to dublin and I dont think its that bad!
    From rathnew - Glen o'Downs the traffic moves pretty fast,
    100 kph left lane 110 - 120 kph for the outside.

After that It slows down of course. At this point i switch to the left lane as its much faster! Not until after bray do the lanes start moving at the same speed.

regarding poor quality of driving.... I dont think its much worse than anywhere else.
    Its starting to get slow leaving wicklow town/ rathnew these days though
    Is it a gas pipe they are laying (slowly) a few hundred yards after wimpy?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Here's another one!
    Why is that when you are driving along at the speed limit, some drivers slam on the brakes when they spot a Garda car in the distance? To me it indicates three things:-
    -1- They are not aware of what speed they are doing
    -2- They are not aware of what speed they should be doing
    -3- They are not aware of their surroundings and vehicles in the vicinity.

One morning in particular, I was heading towards Dublin, north of Kilmacanogue and just going under the fly-over at Brennanstown at about 90km/hr. A woman in a 4x4 was passing me and I would reckon she was traveling at the speed-limit but not speeding when all of a sudden she jams on the brakes and disappears back along the road. She had spotted a Garda car in the entrance ahead before the Enniskerry turn-off and reacted with her brakes, obviously unaware that she wasn't actually speeding. The car behind her skidded across the lane behind me and almost spun out of control but managed to keep it together and I could see in my rearview that fortunately there was no accident. That clown in the 4x4 nearly caused an pile-up purely because she hadn't a clue of her surroundings and what she should have been doing.

- I have seen people reacting like this several times but this is the one that most sticks in my mind as it showed how there could have been catastrophic results for the want of paying attention.

• Advertisement

Yet despite the dangerous drivers there is still no word on the Rathnew/Arklow section going to tender!

Advertisement