Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Options
  • 21-10-2004 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd share the most recent updates I have on the N11 from the Wexford and Wicklow CC.

Wexford CC:
    I have now received our budget which will allow us to develop the Gorey scheme to the stage of seeking tenders by the end of this year. Given a continuous flow of funding, I would expect construction would commence in late summer/early autumn 2005. The contract will take approximately 21/2 years.

Unfortunately the budget for the Enniscorthy scheme will not allow us, this year, to proceed beyond its present positon i.e. the final route having been selected.

Wicklow CC:
    The CPO and EIS documents for the N11 Rathnew to Arklow Road Improvement Scheme were signed on 9th July. The documentation for this scheme has been submitted to An Bord Pleanála for consideration. The Road Scheme is on public display at present up to close of business tomorrow. The deadline for submissions to An Bord Pleanála is 17th of September. The Council expects that an Oral hearing if required will be held in Late October or Early November. Planning for other phases of the Scheme i.e. Detailed Site Investigation are ongoing at present. If the Scheme proceeds successfully through the planning process the Council expects construction of the 16.33 km dual carriageway to commence in May or June 2006 with the Scheme completed in late 2008. Once this Road Scheme has been built all of the M11/N11 in Wicklow will be a motorway/dual carriageway. As the N11 Arklow Gorey Link has successfully passed through planning, users of Euro-Route 1 on the N11/M11, M50, M1/N1 should have continuous motorway/dual carriageway between the south of Clogh Village in Wexford and Newry in Co. Down, by late 2008.

Thx.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

are there any other "Euro Routes" in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Do you know when the Charlesland road that meets the N11 will be complete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

PoolDude wrote:
    I have now received our budget which will allow us to develop the Gorey scheme to the stage of seeking tenders by the end of this year. Given a continuous flow of funding, I would expect construction would commence in late summer/early autumn 2005. The contract will take approximately 21/2 years.

Is this good news then? I understood that the Gorey by-pass was being long fingered as other projects soaked up the available cash. Does this imply that there is a delay but that its turning out to be a small delay?

Why is there any doubt about "a continuous flow of funding"? Surely if Wexford CoCo are allowed go to tender they will also be allowed issue contracts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daverr

dont the NRA have new funding system, over a couple of years rather than per year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

keith123 wrote:
    Do you know when the Charlesland road that meets the N11 will be complete?

I heard they ran out of funding for that part of the road so it will just about reach the N11 and then it will stop. Well that's what my mammy told me anyways!!

The sooner they take those bollards away the better, it will be great to cut through Charlesland to get to kilcoole and bush corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Euroroute E20 runs from Cork to Liverpool I think. It definitely crosses the Irish sea anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

PoolDude wrote:
    ...ptember. The Council expects that an Oral hearing if required will be held in Late October or Early November. Planning for other phas...

The Oral Hearing is being held on the 2nd of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

dmeehan wrote:
    are there any other "Euro Routes" in this country?

Class A:
    West-East reference:
    E20 - Shannon - Limerick - Dublin ... Liverpool ... Moscow
    E30 - Cork - Waterford - Wexford - Rosslare ... Fishguard ... Omsk

North-South intermediate:
    E01 - Larne - Belfast - Dublin - Rosslare ... La Coruña ... Sevilla

West-East intermediate:
    E16 - Londonderry - Belfast ...Glasgow ... Oslo
    E18 - Craigavon - Belfast - Larne ... Stranraer ... Saint Petersburg

Class B:
    E201 - Cork - Portlaoise

I've just included the Irish sections, the next overseas town and the ultimate destination.

More info: Wikipedia article

List List

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Posted this on another thread earlier this week. The former has now become a reality. Lets hope the later information is also accurate. That would really open up the journey to and on the N11.

Just got an unconfirmed report that the section to Leopardstown will open this week/weekend and that it will open in it's entirety as soon as January. The first piece appears achievable but it woud be a major achievement on the NRA's part (and DLRCC) to deliver the later. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Is the work in Inch completed? I see nothing on AA Roadwatch. Was it just a little quick job? When the NRA giveth, the NRA taketh away somewhere else along the route!

It was a nightmare yesterday evening. Huuuuuuuge tailback coming from Dublin side, and little accumulation waiting on the light in the northbound lane.

Ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is the work in Inch completed?
    In Kerry?

At a guess; I'd say he is referring to Inch in North County Wexford, between Arklow and Gorey. As to the question, I have no idea but it is going to be bypassed when ever they start and eventually complete the Gorey bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

It's a pity that all of the downloads (apart from non-technical summary and the "key location map") are not actually available to download.

Or up to date!

jd wrote:
    When the Gorey bye-pass is finished, the congestion will move to Ferns. A T-junction, with traffic from Wexford having to give way to local traffic (Ferns->Bunclody) AFAIR.:rolleyes:
    i am surprised that that junction has remained like it is for so long. (very similar to the bottom of the hill in Rathnew)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While Ferns is a poor junction its not bad for traffic as a rule, as local traffic is very light. I've never got held up there and of course they can alter the junction hierarchy.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

mike65 wrote:
    While Ferns is a poor junction its not bad for traffic as a rule, as local traffic is very light. I've never got held up there and of course they can alter the junction hierarchy.

Mike.

I have- and an improved road system north of it will attract attract traffic to/from enni9scorthy/wexford

With all the plans on the radar for roads around Ireland on the National routes, I am suprised there are no plans for a bypass of Ferns and Camolin. There will be motorway/dual carriage way from Dublin to Clogh by 2008 and next up will be the bypass of Enniscorthy. The road from their to Rosslare is good although a new road is planned to bypass Kilrane and Tagoat en-route to Rosslare. Why isn't Ferns and Camolin being mentioned?

Does anyone have any other info on this?

well as its part of a euroroute it will "eventually" have to be upgraded to dual carriageway
    (it will, won't it??)

• Advertisement

My fears may have been confirmed, the recent 2006 NRA plan does not include this project as starting this year. They have also changed the NRA web page to not show projects thru the statutory approval process and only refer to it on schemes in planning area with no dates or details.

I've pinged a few people to try to get more info.

I noticed there were more tendering notices in the paper this week for the Clogh - Enniscorthy section. No timeline and I still have heard nothing on when the Rathnew to Arklow section will start.

There was a rumour that they would open part of it earlier than that as well. I couldn't get any details but I'm guessing they might open it from Clogh to the fruit farm first and then the full stretch before the completion date.

This would bypass Gorey first while they continued work on the rest of the northern section - but I'm just guessing and there may be no substance in the rumour that part of it would open early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Was looking for this topic yesterday but couldn't find it...
    I found something that I thought was interesting and maybe others will too:

http://www.dra.ie/PDF/06-April-FINAL-REPORT.pdf

The Dublin Regional Authority made their submission for the NDP 2007-2013 and it looks like they would like to increase the M11 from M50 to Kilmacanogue to 5 lanes. That would be some road! (scroll to page "21 of 84" in the PDF).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bryanw wrote:
    The Dublin Regional Authority made their submission for the NDP 2007-2013 and it looks like they would like to increase the M11 from M50 to Kilmacanogue to 5 lanes. That would be some road! (scroll to page "21 of 84" in the PDF).
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can think of more than one spot on that stretch where they'd be extremely lucky to squeeze 3 lanes in, let alone 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

That would end up as a free-for-all with people undertaking and lane hogging everywhere. lol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Alun wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can think of more than one spot on that stretch where they'd be extremely lucky to squeeze 3 lanes in, let alone 5!
    It's not clear though if they mean 5 lanes total, i.e. 3+2, or 5 lanes each side (10). My guess is 3+2.

spacetweek wrote:
    It's not clear though if they mean 5 lanes total, i.e. 3+2, or 5 lanes each side (10). My guess is 3+2.
    I'm guessing someone misread a hand-written "3" as a "5". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A small step forwards this week, at Clogh the new over bridge is open where a currently very handy back road crosses the bypass.

A few pix.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/cloghoverbridge.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/goreypassatclogh.jpg

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

mike65 wrote:
    A small step forwards this week, at Clogh the new over bridge is open where a currently very handy back road crosses the bypass.

A few pix.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/cloghoverbridge.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/goreypassatclogh.jpg

Mike.

Is this a super secret shortcut ?

Advertisement