Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I know but thats still not confirmed - I'm holding out that they will go to tender as per the plan :rolleyes:

Anyone know how the motorway upgrade plans will impact the N11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

PoolDude wrote: »
    Anyone know how the motorway upgrade plans will impact the N11

I heard that parts of the N11 could be upgraded, but I don't think there's anything definite yet. I guess the stretch of dual-carriageway through the Glen of the Downs (and Kilmacanogue) is out of the question regarding Motorway restrictions.

I suppose stretches like the Gorey and Arklow (LILO access to rugby club etc would have to be eliminated) by-passes, plus the proposed Rathnew to Arklow Scheme could be given consideration, but only with a 100k limit for large stretches. Was on the Gorey By-pass a couple of times - nice road, but no way capable of handling speeds of 120k outright.

Regarding the Rathnew and Ashford By-pass, the road is fully free-flow, but has private access at its Southern end (AFAIK, won't be changed by the Arklow to Rathnew scheme), plus an interrupted alternative route (old N11) near its Northern tie-in South of Newtownmountkennedy. Don't think this road would take much more than 100K!

Let's wait and see!

All the land has been bought, fenced off and several houses have been knocked already, this route is more advanced than the N/M17
    that's great news it's gone to tender.
    Hopefully the "good people of Wicklow and Wexford vote yes...." :)

I guess we'll see after the 3rd Oct
    IV.3.5)
    Date of dispatch of invitations to tender or to participate to selected candidates
    Estimated date 03-10-2008

The submission deadline passed at the end of last month - I wonder did they get many applicants to shortlist from?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Why is the N11 festooned with traffic cones between Nutley Lane and Fosters Avenue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Renewal of lane markings apparently.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/260708TN.htm

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stark wrote: »
    Renewal of lane markings apparently.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/260708TN.htm
    About time too.

All the land has been bought, fenced off and several houses have been knocked already, this route is more advanced than the N/M17
    that's great news it's gone to tender.
    Hopefully the "good people of Wicklow and Wexford vote yes...." :)

I guess we'll see after the 3rd Oct
    IV.3.5)
    Date of dispatch of invitations to tender or to participate to selected candidates
    Estimated date 03-10-2008

So shortlisted candidates will be invited to tender by Friday - will this information be available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Anyone else think the new markings on the edge of the road look like they were put down by someone who had a few too many pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭jd

maclek wrote: »
    Anyone else think the new markings on the edge of the road look like they were put down by someone who had a few too many pints?
    Where?

• Advertisement

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/plan-for-rest-area-on-n11-1487578.html
    THE NATIONAL Roads Authority has unveiled plans for a service rest area on the N11 at Ballyellin, Inch, just north of Gorey.
    The development, which has already been designed, was unveiled to County Councillors at their district meeting last Friday afternoon. It will include a 24 fuel stop, a convenience shop, restaurant(s), car, truck and coach parking, toilets, showers, a children's play area, a picnic area, and tourist information, and will be located on a sixteen hectare site, along the northbound side of the Gorey bypass. It will be accessed from the southbound land via a new overbridge.

Soon to be M11

I presume the existing rest areas (rubbish tips due to Irish people's propensity to dump rubbish :mad: ) will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The recent large scale lane closures along the N11 from Kill Lane inbound gave me a hint that no great improvements will be possible unless we have a major change of attitude.
    This very expensive project was undertaken in order to paint solid white lines along the periphery of the kerbed Central Reservation........am I being churlish in asking why..? :confused:

There are many areas along the N11 and other primary routes where lane and other statutory markings are hugely diminished and remain so ad infinitum (unless there`s a fatal RTA,whereupon crews can materialize out of the blue)

The presence of a solid white line outlining an already extant Kerb is surely OTT or am I missing the point here..???

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

And the markings are a disaster. I'm talking about the solid white line in the outside right lane next to the kerb, all the way from Fosters Ave to Foxrock. If you look at it it isn't straight, it has kinks and is kinda wavy. It looks to be made of plastic stuck on with tar, rather than being painted.

Can we get a refund? :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quadra wrote: »
    I try to be optimistic but the chances that the Arklow/Rathnew scheme gets biffed in the budget next week have to be high.

They'd be mad to cut it (again) but given the trade-offs of health, education, welfare, don't be surprised.

Dunno if anyone has any other info on the capital allocation for the scheme (my point is it may be already 'spent' from a budget year perspective), and maybe the procurement process has an affect on the obligation to proceed (unlikely I think).....

Ho hum. Guess we'll just have to see what next week brings.....g'wan there Brian, get the flippin' thing built.

I would have thought, given how dangerous the forest section of road its replacing is, that this may still be kept on - can see other projects across the board getting cut though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Quadra wrote: »
    I try to be optimistic but the chances that the Arklow/Rathnew scheme gets biffed in the budget next week have to be high.

The contract has been signed as I understand it so it will go ahead .

It was certainly at risk earlier this year but should be safe now unlike the N17/N18 schemes which look an awful lot dodgier , the N17 Athenry-Tuam scheme looks dead in the water and has done for months .

The New Ross bypass also looks dead in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The contract has been signed as I understand it so it will go ahead .

It was certainly at risk earlier this year but should be safe now unlike the N17/N18 schemes which look an awful lot dodgier , the N17 Athenry-Tuam scheme looks dead in the water and has done for months .

The New Ross bypass also looks dead in the water.

I hate to be the pessimist, but I have to agree there.

I don't see the M17 scheme going anywhere in the next year or two anyway, and as for New Ross...

Well, the NRA seems to have forgotten about it completely...

There is a bit of hope for at least for the Gort-Crusheen portion of the N18 (or M18 as it may become) scheme to go ahead (according to this thread anyway: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054991628&page=6)...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The recent large scale lane closures along the N11 from Kill Lane inbound gave me a hint that no great improvements will be possible unless we have a major change of attitude.
    This very expensive project was undertaken in order to paint solid white lines along the periphery of the kerbed Central Reservation........am I being churlish in asking why..? :confused:

There are many areas along the N11 and other primary routes where lane and other statutory markings are hugely diminished and remain so ad infinitum (unless there`s a fatal RTA,whereupon crews can materialize out of the blue)

The presence of a solid white line outlining an already extant Kerb is surely OTT or am I missing the point here..???

I think those plastic type markings look great, specifically between Foxrock Church and Whites cross, it looks like the first company who did the wavy lines while dripping paint everywhere were not given a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quote some Council Functionary...."Director of Services Seamus Walker informed members that a scientific study is required to identify problems and solutions."

No doubt some of the Cllrs have relations who just happen to do the odd oul "Scientific Study" to turn a few bob......:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

Layout of the proposed N11 Gorey Service Area for anyone who's interested.

http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/file,15756,en.pdf
    Size: 8.1MB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

jd wrote: »
    This project has been indefinitely postponed. Money was not diverted from this project to the metro.

[speculation] No, money was diverted from this project to Gort-Crusheen. [/speculation]
    I've been driving the N11 from Gorey to Dublin every day (almost) for fourteen years now and have seen several accidents and fatalities on this stretch of road.
    This incompetence is totally unacceptable. It's not as if it will be an exorbitant amount of money to finish the project. The compulsory purchase of the land required is already done and the surveying is finished. It's ready for the contractor and surely, in the current climate, now is the time to get this type of thing done as quotes will come in way below what it would normally cost when the builders, etc are busy.
    Get it done now and save money....SAVE LIVES!!!!

As I've said before, despite being from the West, I'm surprised that Gort-Crusheen got priority over this road (or Mallow->Croom N20), particularly given the appalling accident statistics on this stretch of road. (I know there's a general point which gives the ARC priority, but still Noel Dempsey did say that safety was going to be a concern in defining priorities).

I don't know what ye did or didn't do to deserve it, but ye certainly do need to ask serious questions of yer local representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Maybe it's a ploy to deter too many commuters such as myself. "Don't make it too easy so less people are likely to do it, oh yes, and let's make the houses cheaper in Gorey just to tease them"- I have news for you people in Merrion Square, IT HASN'T WORKED!!!

People are still commuting the 120 miles round trip every day and there are more than ever doing it now. When I started doing it in 1994, I used to leave my house outside Gorey at 6.30am and be on the northside in an hour and a half (give or take). Now I leave at 5.30, if I don't it will take me over two hours.
    Since I started, they have by-passed Ashford, Rathnew, Arklow and Gorey. While the drive is easier, it isn't that much quicker as the numbers have increased and the bottle-neck at the end of the Ashford by-pass almost cancels out any advantage of the new roads
    Has anyone else noticed that the standard of driving and driver ignorance has got progressively worse over the years? It's crap! (I'm sure there must be a thread on Boards,ie dedicated to this topic alone)

I tried car sharing for a while and while it had it's advantages it was limiting as both parties are bound by their times and so you end up leaving home at the earliest time to suit one person and going home at the later time to suit the other, etc. etc. It's good but sporadic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

People are still commuting the 120 miles round trip every day and there are more than ever doing it now. When I started doing it in 1994, I used to leave my house outside Gorey at 6.30am and be on the northside in an hour and a half (give or take). Now I leave at 5.30,
    2,400 miles per month. 60 hours per month. Approx 300/month in fuel. You must be broken. Is it worth it? Is there no alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Maybe it's a ploy to deter too many commuters such as myself. "Don't make it too easy so less people are likely to do it, oh yes, and let's make the houses cheaper in Gorey just to tease them"- I have news for you people in Merrion Square, IT HASN'T WORKED!!!

People are still commuting the 120 miles round trip every day and there are more than ever doing it now. When I started doing it in 1994, I used to leave my house outside Gorey at 6.30am and be on the northside in an hour and a half (give or take). Now I leave at 5.30, if I don't it will take me over two hours.
    Since I started, they have by-passed Ashford, Rathnew, Arklow and Gorey. While the drive is easier, it isn't that much quicker as the numbers have increased and the bottle-neck at the end of the Ashford by-pass almost cancels out any advantage of the new roads
    Has anyone else noticed that the standard of driving and driver ignorance has got progressively worse over the years? It's crap! (I'm sure there must be a thread on Boards,ie dedicated to this topic alone)

I tried car sharing for a while and while it had it's advantages it was limiting as both parties are bound by their times and so you end up leaving home at the earliest time to suit one person and going home at the later time to suit the other, etc. etc. It's good but sporadic.

Why the hell would you live in Gorey when you're working on the northside of Dublin?

Just so you could buy a house? A house you're probably too knackered to enjoy most of the time.

And you've been doing this for 14 years? Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The notion that more people will move to Gorey is so 2006. With houses cheaper and people aware that fuel prices can shoot up they are just going to buy a house in Dublin or perhaps Bray, with lower interest rates the €500 you'd spend on a car in month could be used to get a somewhat more expensive house. In the next couple of years traffic will probably decrease, rather than increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Thor's Hammered

feck lads, how boring......

I live in my home town. It's where I grew up and now live.
    Mad, I know, but that's the way it is. I don't do it for the cheap houses, far from it, but I happen to like where I live in a village community in the company of friends and family and, believe it or not, I am actually involved in several community activities.
    I know several people who have moved to Wexford for the affordable houses and not all of them have stayed as they found the commute harder than anticipated. It makes the days very long and you need to be committed and there's no point whining about it because at the end of the day it is self-imposed and if I find it too much I have no-one to blame but myself. I know it's mad but I just get on with it.
    Sorry for diverting somewhat from the original thread but I suppose it has some sort of relevance.

I wopnder do the NRA know about this? It will be the M11 at this stage, surely they will be told to feck off somewhere else
    The enduring race is to take place on 23 August next year and will include a 3.8 km swim around Courtown Harbour, a 180 km cycle on the Gorey ByPass and a 42.2 km run through Courtown Woods and into Gorey town and back.
    “The “The cycle will take place on the North bound lane on the N11 from the Clough Roundabout to Arklow South turnoff and the contestants will do four laps.cycle will take place on the North bound lane on the N11 from the Clough Roundabout to Arklow South turnoff and the contestants will do four laps.
    http://www.goreyecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mhauidgbsn&cat=news

Funny, but I was reading this on wednesday and wondering something similar. They're talking about closing a major arterial feeder with only a poor alternative route for a large volume of traffic. I can't see it working somehow and I wasn't even thinking about the fact that it will most likely be a motorway by then.
    Don't worry, if Lorcan Allen supports it (I don't know if he does or not) then he'll have his own solution to get it to happen.

It is the last (or second last) weekend before the kids go back to school. Hopefully it will work out, only northbound traffic will be diverted through Gorey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Why the hell would you live in Gorey when you're working on the northside of Dublin?

Just so you could buy a house? A house you're probably too knackered to enjoy most of the time.

And you've been doing this for 14 years? Mad.

I am living in Roundwood, and have to commute every day to, er..... my living room. Because i work from home. God stories like that make me laugh. You'd be better buying a house in Newry, its cheaper and you'd get to work quicker - if owning the house is that important to you...

Advertisement