Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tauren wrote:
    would if i could´- can't think of another way to greystones!:D
    I'd get a taxi or bus to the nearest DART station and get the DART from there.

It'll be chaos .. remember when they had that burst water main just before Bray last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Alun wrote:
    I'd get a taxi or bus to the nearest DART station and get the DART from there.

It'll be chaos .. remember when they had that burst water main just before Bray last year?

Yes, but he will be travelling through Bray at near to midnight, hardly the middle of the heavy traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This is going to be chaotic for the Wexford people heading to Croke Park on Sunday. At least I'm staying home this weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tauren wrote:
    hmmm, i'm due to fly in to dublin airport saturday night about 10:30, and was planning on getting a taxi back to greystones...
    WTF???

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Amazing stuff this morning - travelled past/under the new footbridge at about 8am. The traffic was slower than usual coming out of kilmacanouge, once I travelled under the footbridge it all freed up.

It's a bloody footbridge - hopefully people will get bored of slowing down to look at it quickly :-):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Noticed the slowdown too, though rain may have had a part to play.
    Should be better tomorrow now that we've all had a good look at this bridge.

Does anyone else think this bridge was on the big side just for pedestrians?
    I originaly thought it was a sing lane overpass.
    Compare it to the pedestrian bridge at Kilpedder

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Does anyone else think this bridge was on the big side just for pedestrians?

Is it pedestrian-only or pedestrians and cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,032 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

spacetweek wrote:
    WTF???
    my comment was N11 update related as the taxi might take longer (and cost more) as a result of the road being closed.

If it was a "WTF why are you getting a taxi" type of WTF, at 11.20 (the time i got the taxi) on a Saturday night, my options for getting home were a little limited, and as my employer will eventually pick up the tab for it, the price wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My wife reckons the morons gawking at the new fangled bridge added at least 10 minutes to her journey from Bray this morning. There was a huge tailback on the N11 back towards Kilmacanogue as well. When will people in this country grow up and stop slowing down whenever they see something new and shiny anywher near a major road? It's just pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mfitzy wrote:
    Me too. The Ferns/Camolin sections projects aren't even mentioned on the NRA website as being in the planning/design phases let alone a date given for construction.
    To be fair, the last time I drove through Ferns, they were repairing the large asteroid size holes in the tarmacadam, so that's something in self:)

• Advertisement

That was the stretch from the church heading towards Enniscorthy. Thats done but they haven't done anything about the stretch from the church down the 'main street' heading out to Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

from http://www.arklow.ie/news/newsDetail.asp?nid=1006

N11 to miss out on Motorway Status.

Date: 05/07/2007

Wicklow’s main route not included in Department of Transport plans

The N11 will miss out on any upgrade to motorway status for the foreseeable future. The Department of Transport confirmed this week that five major inter-urban roads would be upgraded from high-grade dual carriageway to motorway status (with a corresponding increase in speed limits), but the N11 would not be one of them.

A department spokesperson said the first tranch of improvements would be made on the N7 to Limerick, N8 to Cork, N4/N6 to Galway, the N9 to Waterford and the M1 to the border.

Relief may soon be at hand for weary N11 drivers, however with the Department announcing that separate rest and service areas be built along the route.

A basic rest area with parking, toilets and a small picnic area will be constructed just south of Wicklow town, while a service area with a petrol station and shops is slated for somewhere between Arklow and Gorey.

Meanwhile, one of the worst road bottlenecks in Ireland has hopefully been cleared forever with the opening this week of the Gorey bypass.

The first 15km section of the bypass from Tinnock to Clough has opened months ahead of schedule. The remaining 7km of roadway, the northern section from Tinnock to the Arklow bypass, is expected to open in September.
    When the link with the Arklow bypass is completed, it will mean dual-carriageway or motorway will run all the way from Dublin to just short of the Wexford village of Camolin – except of course for the notorious Ballinameesda bends near Redcross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I read in another article that it would be M11, or at least part of it. Was on here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They don't know themselves yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

arklow bypass and new gorey bypass are surely good for 120km\h (I think the arklow road was originally supposed to be motorway anyway)

newtown\ashford\rathnew probably is as well, though it subsumes the old road in several places so that may prevent it from being redesignated (though there isn't anywhere along the N11 that can't be reached by other routes afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Scammell

I came from York to Holyhead (230 miles) on Friday last in 3 and 3/4 hours and left Dun laoighre at 5.25 arriving in Waterford city centre (115 miles), via the N11, at 9.10!

Yup, same time for a journey of exactly half the distance in Ireland!!

Arklow bypass now ends about 1km early, you effectively have to take the Arklow exit and down onto a new tie in road while the engineers work on tying in the existing Arklow bypass with the Gorey bypass over the next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 drfisher

In comparison with some of the other works on the N11, these works at Arklow are a pleasure. Ballinameesda was a joke last Friday. The Enniskerry junction/footbridge is challenging the old Glen of the Downs upgrade for the title of slowest roadworks ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

agreed with dr fisher.. slow is not the word.. I was still twitching after the dargle bridge works last year when they started these..

With the Gorey bypass, any time saved with the bypass has been lost further up at the works at the "old" start of Arklow bypass.. the flow here should have been thought out a bit better as when southbound, forcing lorries to go around the two small roundabouts is just asking for them to have to be resurfaced in the few months when they're dug up from the tyre friction.

What really quizzes me is wtf are they doing with the road between the tap & the beehive pubs? The whole problem with that stretch isn't so much the bend they've straightened out with the new works but the complete lack of hard shoulder that causes chaos when there's a tractor or wide load which happens daily?

I guess the good thing is the Arklow works are only short term given the bypass is due to open by September 4th.

The new road at the Taps does overcome some of the problem by removing a double bend outside two homes, so thats got to be safer and I'm sure the logic is that everything will be resolved on that stretch once they actuall start and complete the bypass from Rathnew to Arklow. I'm hoping ther eis a formal announcement on that one at the opening of the Gorey bypass in September!

• Advertisement

I heard today the opening is now Sept 12th, looks like it may have slipped back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

I read today (Tribune I think) that Noel Dempsey ruled out suggestions by NRA for commencement of non T21 schemes including N11 improvements :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ford Cortina

I actually had hope there for a few days.
    Now that I hear all the gorey:rolleyes: details about how long these non T21 projects are going to take, I feel like I should leave the country for another 4 years.

2010 is the plan for the interurbans (Dublin to Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford). 2015 is the plan to finish other projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

People Newspapers today
    http://www.enniscorthyguardian.ie/news/drivers-on-the-n11-face-hellish-40minute-delays-1060306.html
    MOTORISTS on the N11 will face delays of up to 40 minutes daily, for at least the next three weeks.
    Diversions to allow roadworks to link the Arklow and Gorey bypasses are causing southbound delays close to the Wexford-Wicklow border almost every day.
    All traffic travelling south on the Arklow bypass is being diverted off the bypass at the Kish exit, under the bridge and back onto the old N11 at Ashwood. In peak time, motorists have been stuck for up to 40 minutes coming off the bypass and rounding the Kish roundabout.
    While there is also a small diversion for cars travelling north, the delays are not nearly as bad because they don't need to go around this roundabout.
    While some of the longest delays were experienced on the Friday evening of the recent bank holiday weekend, delays of around 15-20 minutes are common every weeknight as commuters return home.
    One local driver stuck in a jam last Thursday described the situation as hellish' and sheer madness'.
    The works are the final stage of the Gorey bypass and will link the unopened 7 km section north of the Tinnock junction with the Arklow bypass.
    An NRA spokesperson said the link works would be finished in the first week of September, three months ahead of originally forecast.
    All but the last few hundred metres connecting the two bypasses is ready. When the link with the Arklow bypass is completed, it will mean dual-carriageway or motorways will run all the way from Dublin to just short of Camolin except for the 13 km stretch of road which includes the Tap' bends where a 23 year-old Arklow man lost his life in a crash on Saturday morning. Calls were made this week for the Government to provide the funding to complete the planned upgrading of this section of road.
    The section of road was closed off for most of Saturday, with diversions put in place.

Thats just sensationalist reporting and is utterly stupid.
    While some of the longest delays were experienced on the Friday evening of the recent bank holiday weekend, delays of around 15-20 minutes are common every weeknight as commuters return home.
    One local driver stuck in a jam last Thursday described the situation as hellish' and sheer madness'.

Hellish and sheer madness? Sounds to me like 15-20 minutes of delays arent bad considering the hour plus delays that were commonplace before the section that is currently open.

Be glad they've opened at least part of the bypass EARLY, to bypass Gorey and dont be moaning so much about the rest of it. Yes, traffic jams are frustrating but its better than if they'd left the whole thing closed until it was ALL finished.

Bad newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

yeah, how quickly people forget how bad gorey was:rolleyes:

New Ross is supposed to be a nightmare thesedays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It was, 4 years ago, so I'd say Ross is insane now.
    Traffic was backed up out as far as the petrol station by the railway bridge where the old n25 route went along by the river - at 3pm on a saturday afternoon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

New Ross is supposed to be a nightmare thesedays.

It is. I drove through there at 17.30 yesterday evening and the traffic coming from Waterford on the N25 was backed up at least a mile out. God knows how long that queue would take to crawl over that little bridge.

Advertisement