Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.goreyecho.ie/news/story.asp?j=24779&cat=news
    The facts and figures behind the project are astounding. Some 250 people are employed on the site at any one time, and more than 700 people have worked on the construction phase in all, (at different times).

More than 30 engineers/technical staff are involved in the project, with approximately 500,000 man hours worked in November alone.
    They must have been burning the midnight oil (asphalt?) in November. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

From the indo
    Record €1.5bn to be spent on finishing new road networks

THE Government will hand out a record €1.5bn today to finish off the nationwide network of motorways and dual-carriageways over the next three years.
    The cash will be used to enable the construction of full motorway/dual-carriageway between Dublin and Galway, Limerick, Cork, Waterford and the border.
    More than 60 other major projects including dual-carriageways from Galway to Tuam and from Sligo to Donegal are at the planning stage and awaiting funding.
    Transport Minister Martin Cullen is this afternoon announcing the €1.5bn spend at a press conference in Government Buildings.
    It is expected that most of the money will go on completing the main inter-urban roads.
    When completed, several hours will be shaved off the total journey time on the major routes.
    A target date of 2010 has been set for the completion of the project.

The projects at planning stage include:
    Arklow/Rathnew, Enniscorthy Bypass,
    Rosslare Harbour Access, (I know this is n25 but relevant)

Much of the €1.5bn being announced today will go towards the cost of a raft of ongoing road projects, some of which are ahead of schedule

N11, Arklow/Gorey Bypass, N11 Kilpeddar Delgany Junction Improvements,

Ferns/camolin looks way down the road, unless wexford wcc builds some local relief roads. They are actually building an inner relief for Gorey, but the new n11 stretch willbe finished first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I think its to do with looking good. Most people have no idea how long something like this takes. So if it takes 2 years and the government say 'it'll take 3 years', it looks like it came in a year ahead of schedule.
    While I'm not contradictnig you,
    I think it's important to note that Local Authorities sign the contract with the contractor. The Government (central government incl Minister) have no say over the agreed time frame.
    Remember that FF/PD took an awful battering in the Local and European elections, so I'm not sure if there are ANY local authorities still under FF's control!
    Hence can't see how FF/PDs could ensure that the roads came in earlier than expected. The fact that FF have representatives on any local authority (as far as i know) might explain why the roads are being completed early:D

from http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=8708&lang=ENG&loc=2126

Appendix 4 Projects Proceeding to CPO / EIS during 2007

N11
    S&E
    Enniscorthy Bypass

Dual Carriageway
    I thought an nra doc had gorey-wexford-rosslare harbour as 2+1?

jd

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

There has been a constant push for DC. I wonder does the scope now include Clogh to Ferns. the local paper was suggesting the Enniscorthy bypass was now in 2 phases; Clogh to Enniscorthy & Enniscorthy bypass.

If so it is all good news.

One bug bear of mine is that there is still no word or progress outlined for the Rathnew to Arklow section which should have started last Jan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that doc also lists the N25 newross bypass as dual-carriageway when the NRA have previously listed it as single.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

I believe that the 20km includes both the N30 and the N11, I doubt both would be DC but then you never know. The scheme from Gorey to Enniscorthy is at an early stage. This is to me the clearest indication yet that Dublin to Rosslare will all eventually be DC.

nordydan wrote:
    I believe that the 20km includes both the N30 and the N11, I doubt both would be DC but then you never know. The scheme from Gorey to Enniscorthy is at an early stage. This is to me the clearest indication yet that Dublin to Rosslare will all eventually be DC.

It will be interesting to see what they propose/decide over the Slaney at/near Ferrycarrig and around Wexford Town.

Much of the €1.5bn being announced today will go towards the cost of a raft of ongoing road projects, some of which are ahead of schedule
    lol, all the inter-urbans were meant to be finished last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Victor wrote:

I have here the road plans for the 1980s - i.e. plan from 1979. The Tralee bypass is in it - and here it is again only going to CPO in 2007.

Other places in the plan: Slane, Carrick-on-Shannon and Adare are still waiting on a bypass. These may be less strategic places for road projects, but they are absolutely necessary nevertheless. In the case of Adare, we have, passing through this heritage town's main street between the tourist buses, traffic volumes higher than the current sections of inter-urbans being upgraded (look at the NRA traffic counter data if you don't believe me).

I guess we can to some extent accept the places which haven't been bypassed due to waiting on the inter-urban and other major upgrades - but again, there are a number of these in the plan for the 1980s who should have been bypassed 20 years ago: Navan, Mountrath, Abbeyleix, Ballinasloe.

Then there are the projects only recently completed (or proceeding) that are in that plan: Sligo inner relief road, Loughrea, Mitchelstown, Gort, Ennis, Ballyshannon-Bundoran, Stranorlar, Castleisland, Cashel, Limerick Southern Ring Road.

Progress to date is good, yes, but it's really nothing to clap ourselves on the back about. Neither are the quantities of money - that's just showing how much it's cost to leave things this late!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Would some of that 19.9 million include the Enniskerry road footbridge?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Victor wrote:
    Oh yeah!! I forgot about that! Man did that ever slip. If they make 2010 it'll only be with a big effort.

I remember seeing the NRA's plans for 2006 which I think they began touting in a big way around the end of 2000. Back then, I thought it would be amazing to be able to have end to end journeys on motorways between most major towns and cities within only 6 years. I really, really believed it was going to happen. So much for youthful dreams! :rolleyes:
    dmeehan wrote:
    Would some of that 19.9 million include the Enniskerry road footbridge?
    I always thought that footbridge scheme was a bit of a joke. Why would you even include that in the list of major road schemes for a particular year? Stop faffing about NRA.

Zoney wrote:
    I have here the road plans for the 1980s - i.e. plan from 1979. The Tralee bypass is in it - and here it is again only going to CPO in 2007.
    Maybe it was the north / couth circular roads in Tralee that they were talking about. :D

From the Wexford Echo
    €650 million to be spent on roads

NATIONAL ROADS Authority representative for Wexford, Don Curtin assured members of Wexford Chamber of Commerce at Wednesday’s meeting that the county’s infrastructural needs are of great importance to his organisation.

In an overview of the programme of works for the county in the coming months, he revealed that some €650 million has been set aside to ensure ease of access nationally to the key infrastructural asset that is Rosslare Europort.

Mr. Curtin noted that the Gorey bypass is on schedule with work now expected to conclude before November 07, on time and under-budget. Priced at €120 million, the NRA has also received approval on a route connecting the Enniscorthy and Gorey bypasses.

Mr. Curtin said he expected that environmental impact statement and compulsory purchase orders would be completed in 2008.

According to yesterday's Wexford People newspaper and despite what Don Curtain originally told us (earlier in the thread) the good news is that it will be opened in phases. There are some general quotes from Don and apparently Bertie confirming this.

The better news is that they are currently negotiating with the contractor to open from Clogh to Ticknock (i.e. bypass Gorey) in JULY.

The full route to the Arklow bypass should be opened in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

from the "Bray People (Thu, Mar 08 07)":

Section of N11 to be closed

Gardai in Bray are giving advance notice to members of the public that a section of the N11 bypassing the town will be closed between Saturday June 16 from 8 p.m. until 2 p.m. on Sunday June 17.

The closure will affect north and southbound carriageways, and is being undertaken to facilitate works on the footbridge on the Enniskerry Road.

Superintendent Michael Lernihan said all traffic would be diverted through Bray Town Centre, and that a traffic management plan is currently being devised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wow they got that notice out early.

Mike.

I noticed new road markings on the road south of clogh where the new roundabout is going in this week - the markings would lead traffic onto the roundabout so looks like they are going to bring this into use very soon.

The roundabout is now in use - I travelled thru it yesterday evening.

I see Bertie promised n11 dualled to Rosslare at the FF Ard Fheis

On roads, we will complete the five inter-urban motorways to Waterford, Cork, Limerick, Galway and to the border; we will complete the Atlantic Road Corridor as well. We will also complete the Border Road Corridor – along with high quality road corridors to the North West and the West. And we also will finish the East coast N11 dual carriageway to Rosslare.

• Advertisement

I hope so!

A timeline would be good aswell - even if it is 2012!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

jd wrote:
    I see Bertie promised n11 dualled to Rosslare at the FF Ard Fheis
    If this happens, in a few years Cork people will have a choice of three motorways/HQDC's to travel to Dublin - the N8/N7, the N25/N9/N7, and the N25/N30/N11. Sure we might as well do the N30 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

MLM wrote:
    If this happens, in a few years Cork people will have a choice of three motorways/HQDC's to travel to Dublin - the N8/N7, the N25/N9/N7, and the N25/N30/N11. Sure we might as well do the N30 as well.
    It would have been better to build Dublin-Limerick-Cork-Rosslare-Dublin and leave out N7/M8. This is a shorter length of motorway, and gets away from the 'all roads lead to Dublin' school of design. There would be very little additional time to the drive Cork-Dublin via Limerick if the route were all mway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

OTK wrote:
    It would have been better to build Dublin-Limerick-Cork-Rosslare-Dublin and leave out N7/M8. This is a shorter length of motorway, and gets away from the 'all roads lead to Dublin' school of design. There would be very little additional time to the drive Cork-Dublin via Limerick if the route were all mway.

I'd get rid of the N/M8 altogether and put a D3 motorway as the M9, then a D2 motorway from Waterford - Cork. IMO its a colossal waste of money to build M8 AND M9.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Does somenone want to tell bertie that the N11 doesn't go to Rosslare?! :rolleyes:

MLM wrote:

Four if they sort the N20 :D

N20/N7 route :D

Or five if you go N20/N18/N6.

Hell, lets go via Sligo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Looks nice on a map, but the M7 up to the M9 junction already needs three lane motorway with the traffic levels on it (and you thought the Naas Road upgrade would be enough for now - hah!). With the proposed traffic combinations, you'd not only need a lot more three lane motorways, but it would make junctions a nightmare!

Not as future-proof as the separate routes, nevermind that it is good to bypass and serve towns like Cahir, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Carlow and Kilkenny.

Would you really want to stick all the N9 Waterford-Dublin traffic on the N11? The latter is busy enough as is, and the N9 has in places traffic levels approaching the limit of what 2+1 road can handle at present (hence why despite the critics, dual carriageway to Waterford is the sensible option, rather than have to upgrade to that again in 5-10 years). And you'd have to upgrade the N9 anyway because a dangerous winding narrow two lane country road isn't suitable even for the regional town traffic.

There's no way you could have avoided having to upgrade the N8 either even if you made Cork-Dublin traffic take a different route.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How about N11 traffic from Wex go via N80 to Carlow and then link in with the N9 there. I guess thouggh as someone else has pointed out it would congest the Naas road even worse than at present.

Slightly off point, but I think the example of upgrading the N1, N2, N3 and N4 all through Meath is poor planning. Why not link them to eachother properly in line with Navan from Ardee across to Enfield. It seems unneccessary to upgrade all these roads to motorway running almost simultaneously out from Dublin.

Outer Ring Road should sort that (hopefully) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

I'd get rid of the N/M8 altogether and put a D3 motorway as the M9, then a D2 motorway from Waterford - Cork. IMO its a colossal waste of money to build M8 AND M9.
    Yes agreed. Upgrading the N8 was a waste of money. It would have been more effecient to go via Waterford either using the N25/N11 or the old T6 route through Clonmel and Kilkenny.

Advertisement