Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Bards wrote: »
    Waterford City Bypass contract signing was done about 1 month before construction got underway without any problems with staff etc.

2006 precedents do not unfortunately count for much these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Well here we are again, looks like another deadline will come and go. Surprise surprise.

Contract to be completed by the end of April - NOT !
    Start date now moved to July 2013 according to the CIS website !! Credibility - 0%

Isn't it time some of the journalists wrote an investigative article on this continuing fiasco and demanded proper information from the NRA ?
    They operate a system that is somewhere between doublethink in Orwells' 1984 and a Franz Kafka novel I reckon....

The government should launch a public inquiry as this project is now a total and utter farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

yeah varadkar recently announced on a visit to Arklow "official sod turning" date for project is July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

yeah varadkar recently announced on a visit to Arklow "official sod turning" date for project is July

Yes
    http://www.wicklownews.net/Post/2013/4/4599/misunderstanding-over-council-road-budget-varadkar
    Mr Varadkar also announced that the much-anticipated upgrade to the N11 between Rathnew and Arklow would be commencing this summer, with the sod-turning ceremony taking place in July.

But here

http://www.finegael.ie/our-people/ministers/leo-varadkar/speech-at-the-transport-i/

he says
    There are three road PPP projects included in the Government’s stimulus package. These are the N17-N18 Gort-Tuam link, the N25 New Ross bypass, and the M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy,

Now that additional funding has been confirmed for the Exchequer element of these projects the National Roads Authority is moving ahead with the procurement process.

Another important PPP project, the provision of a motorway on the N11 between Arklow and Rathnew, bundled with a free-flow system at Newlands Cross on the Dublin to Limerick road, is at an advanced stage of negotiation and is expected to reach financial close in the near future.

PPPs are not easy to put together. The process requires investment banks, construction companies and the Government to enter into 30 year partnerships and financial commitments. If we can achieve financial closure on the Newlands Cross/Rathnew bundle, it will be the first in six years. It will be a major signal of confidence in the Irish economy and further evidence that the green shoots of recovery are real and are putting down roots.

Exactly - believe it when you see it !

• Advertisement

Contracts signed!
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0430/388927-road-construction-jobs/
    Over 1,000 construction jobs will be created in the next two years as part of a major upgrade of the N11 and N7 road networks.
    BAM Contractors today signed a public-private partnership contract worth €282m with the National Roads Authority on behalf of the Department of Transport.

A service area will also be built at Ballyellin on the Gorey Bypass.
    Construction is expected to begin in May, the N11 works will be completed within 28 months and it's planned that the new section of the N7 will be completed within 21 month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Indeed, long overdue.

Well blow me down !!

Not wishing to take away from the good news, but in the same issue of the Irish Times that Pamela Newenham states -

"BAM Contractors today signed a public-private partnership contract with the National Roads Authority to upgrade the road networks."

Tim O'Brien also writes -

"One project which is “close to financial close” was the provision of funding for the Newlands Cross/N11 PPP road scheme, which “would be the first time that a transport PPP [public private partnership] has reached financial close for six years since 2007”.

Either Tim O'Brien is using an outdated quote or Pamela Newenham is jumping the gun !

Potentially great news though, fingers crossed.

Tim's article was written for today's printed edition after the visit of the EIB.
    Pamela's was written today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

The Journal has it as well. The N11 section is to take 28 months. Hopefully thats for the ancillary bits to be completed, surely they'll be able do the main road quicker than that.

€282m road deal to create 1,000 jobs and a Newlands Cross flyover (via TheJournal.ie) http://jrnl.ie/890443

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good news but can breakfast roll man be far behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"At long last we're starting to have a continuous, connected modern motorway network,"

where has he been for the last 5 years?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Journal articles comments are full of people who can't read ("they're going to toll this" replies) or who are still stuck in some early 2000s timewarp ("it'll overrun to a billion" replies). I worry about who we have to share this island with some times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

So they did get the contract signed by 30th April like they said they would. I'm frankly surprised!

The newspaper articles are saying work kicks off in May but Varadar is planning on turning up for the sod turning in July. So which is it?
    I hope the July thing is just a ceremony and they're actually gonna have already started in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

spacetweek wrote: »
    So they did get the contract signed by 30th April like they said they would. I'm frankly surprised!

The newspaper articles are saying work kicks off in May but Varadar is planning on turning up for the sod turning in July. So which is it?
    I hope the July thing is just a ceremony and they're actually gonna have already started in May.

The sod turning ceremony usually doesn't have anything to with actual cconstruction. July is probably just picked to suit the calendar e.g. there's a big enough space or it can be done on the way to/from another appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

MYOB wrote: »
    Journal articles comments are full of people who can't read ("they're going to toll this" replies) or who are still stuck in some early 2000s timewarp ("it'll overrun to a billion" replies). I worry about who we have to share this island with some times.

I wouldn't worry about Journal. It's the home of the serial moaners. Believe me no matter what good news goes up they are there bleating and moaning about it.

That reminds me - did anybody ever find a detailed map of the scheme? I have one for Gorey-Enniscorthy, I can't find one for Rathnew-Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Jayuu wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about Journal. It's the home of the serial moaners. Believe me no matter what good news goes up they are there bleating and moaning about it.

and everyone knows everything about everything. They really are wasted talents on their keyboards all day

• Registered Users Posts: 7 5HCC

I cant believe this has happened. I've been following this thread for three years now, when I took a job in Wexford. I commute from Dublin to Wexford. The road was supposed to begin the October I started. The 160 mile round trip is killing me. When I was offered full-time, I went to get the morning train to Wexford and to my shock the morning train to Wexford does not run any more. What has happened to this country? Sorry I know. I have little choice but to drive. Bring on this road. Bring on the Enniscorthy Bypass to that beautiful Viking town. I could travel by boat. But where is the public transport. We are celebrating in our house tonight!

• Advertisement

This is back from 2004!
    ABP 21 CH 2145 /ER27.ER2032
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/CH2145.htm
    Geometry – Main Alignment (Horizontal and Vertical)
    For the purpose of description the proposed route has been divided into two
    sections as follows:
    o the southern section from Arklow Bypass to Kilmurry North, and
    o the northern section from Kilmurry North to Ballinaclogh.
    Arklow Bypass to Kilmurry North
    The proposed route alignment commences at the north end of the Arklow
    Bypass, at a point where the dual carriageway starts to taper back towards a
    single carriageway cross section. Between Arklow Bypass and Scratenagh the
    new dual carriageway will be constructed to overlie the existing N11 single
    carriageway with additional widening occurring to the eastern side to avoid
    residential and industrial property located to the west. The proposed route
    descends towards Scratenagh Cross Roads where direct access to the N11 from
    the L6177 and L6674 local roads will be closed off.
    A new overbridge is to be located approximately 300m north of Scratenagh
    Cross Roads to allow local traffic from the L6177 and L6674 county roads to
    cross the dual carriageway. An all-purpose local access road, to be designated
    as the R772, will be provided on the western side of the N11 from Ballinaskea at
    the north end of Arklow Bypass to Scratenagh and the proposed overbridge.
    Continuing north of Scratenagh overbridge the proposed alignment sweeps
    across to the western side of the existing N11 to avoid direct impact on
    residential, agricultural and industrial property located adjacent to the eastern
    edge of the N11 at Clonpadden and Cronakip. The existing N11 carriageway will
    be retained for use as a local all-purpose access road between Scratenagh
    overbridge and the proposed grade separated interchange at Jack White’s Cross
    Roads. This will allow access to be provided to the various properties adjacent
    to the east side of the existing N11. The proposed dual carriageway is located
    close to existing ground level with minimal cut and fill to avoid potential problems
    associated with drainage from large cuttings or visual intrusion from large
    embankments.
    As the proposed alignment approaches Jack White’s Cross Roads, it rises on an
    embankment to allow an underbridge to be constructed as part of the grade
    separated interchange. This allows the roundabouts either side of the proposed
    alignment to be constructed at existing ground level and the side road
    21 CH 2145 /ER27.ER2032 An Bord Pleanála Page 6 of 60
    connections to be accommodated. Slip roads allow full access on and off the
    proposed dual carriageway for local traffic and also for tourist traffic.
    North of the interchange the proposed vertical alignment descends back down to
    existing ground level and horizontally it closes back onto the existing N11 as they
    both sweep towards Togher. South of Togher, the dual carriageway overlies part
    of the existing N11 and widens along its western edge. The proposed alignment
    sits in the valley adjacent to the existing N11, part of which is retained as a local
    all-purpose access road.
    An overbridge is proposed at Kilmurry North to allow local access over the dual
    carriageway and to the interchange at Jack White’s Cross Roads. The overbridge
    links two small roundabouts, which are located on the new R772 all-purpose
    local access road. The eastern roundabout has a new realigned section of the
    L5660 to Ballyclogh North. The western roundabout connects the overbridge, a
    realigned section of the L95114 and a section of new link road to connect to the
    former N11 near the Ballyhara junction.
    Kilmurry North to Ballinaclogh
    From Kilmurry North the proposed alignment continues north while the existing
    N11 sweeps northwest towards Ballyhara. An existing residential property at
    CH 8+400 requires to be demolished on the west side of the N11 at Kilmurry
    North in order to avoid further impacts on residential property to the east and also
    to minimise land severance effects.
    The proposed alignment rises on embankment on the approach to the crossing
    of the existing N11. An underbridge on the L5664 to Kilbride and on the existing
    N11 just north of Ballinacor East will retain local access below the dual
    carriageway. The alignment passes across the N11 between the local cemetery
    and Lil Doyle’s Public House at Ballinacor East, and continues north west off-line
    from the existing N11 towards Kilboy.
    Crossing open farmland on alternating cutting and embankment, the dual
    carriageway crosses the L5158 at Kilboy and the L1157 at Breagura. These side
    roads would be retained using underbridges for local access. The topography of
    the existing ground and steep gradient of the Kilboy road prevents the use of
    overbridges at these locations. A tributary of the Potter’s River runs alongside the
    L1157. The topography of the existing ground eliminates the possibility of
    realigning this tributary away from the site of the Breagura Underbridge and
    consequently this underbridge will accommodate both the L1157 and the
    tributary of the Potter’s River.
    Continuing north the proposed alignment sweeps northeast on a right hand curve
    to rejoin the corridor of the existing N11 at Ballinameesda Upper. The Potter’s
    River is crossed at CH 11+800, the river will be re-aligned in this vicinity in order
    that a perpendicular river crossing is achieved thereby shortening the length of
    culvert structure. Thereafter the alignment follows the line to the west of the
    existing N11 carriageway.
    From Coolacork to Roscath the proposed dual carriageway alignment runs
    parallel to the west side of the existing N11 to minimise agricultural landtake. As
    21 CH 2145 /ER27.ER2032 An Bord Pleanála Page 7 of 60
    it approaches Roscath the vertical alignment enters a cutting, which will reduce
    visual intrusion and the effects of traffic noise on the adjacent farm properties.
    As it passes Roscath across open farmland the alignment continues parallel to
    the N11 at existing ground level. The proposed culvert for the Three Mile Water
    river is crossed at CH14+300. The dualled N11 crosses the L1113 Coolbeg
    county road and then enters a cutting through the disused quarry area north west
    of the N11/R751 Beehive junction. Continuing north the alignment closes on the
    existing N11 and ties into the dual carriageway Newtownmountkennedy to
    Ballynabarny road improvement at Ballinaclogh.
    A grade separated interchange is proposed adjacent to the N11/R751 Beehive
    junction.
    The existing N11 is retained to the south of the proposed interchange and
    connected to its eastern roundabout to allow full access to the dual carriageway
    for local traffic.
    Junctions and Grade Separated Interchanges
    The junction strategy restricts access to the dual carriageway to the junctions
    described below. These junctions provide linkage between the N11 Rathnew to
    Arklow Road Improvement and the local road network. The strategy reduces the
    number of traffic conflict points to enhance the safety of road users. All other
    local roads are grade separated from the dual carriageway or realigned and do
    not have direct access to it. Similarly direct private access shall not be permitted
    to the dual carriageway with the exception of a single left on/left off gated priority
    junction access to forest land owned by Coillte. Access to private properties has
    been maintained from the local road network and by the provision of
    accommodation roads and underpasses.
    The proposed junctions on the dual carriageway are therefore restricted to the
    following locations:
    o grade separated interchange west of Jack White’s Cross Roads
    o grade separated interchange west of the Beehive junction
    o left on/left off gated priority junction access to Coillte lands at Chainage
    12+550.
    Ancillary Roads
    Regional and Local Roads
    The proposed road development necessitates the realignment or crossing of a
    number of Regional and Local Roads in order that they can be integrated into the
    proposed local R772 all-purpose road network, and their existing junctions with
    the N11 can be closed off to improve road safety. Other than the junctions
    described in the previous section there will be no access provided between these
    roads and the dualled N11.
    It is proposed to provide a local all-purpose road from Ballymoyle at the southern
    limit of the proposed road development to Ballinaclogh near to the northern limit.
    This road will be designated the R772 Regional Road and will utilise significant
    lengths of the existing N11 to provide a complete local road along the length of
    the proposed road development. The R772 will provide access to properties,
    21 CH 2145 /ER27.ER2032 An Bord Pleanála Page 8 of 60
    businesses, farms and fields, and will allow direct access to the N11 to be closed
    off to improve road safety. The all purpose road will also allow local traffic on the
    R772, and strategic traffic on the dual carriageway N11, to be kept separate
    which will further improve road safety. The R772 will provide access to and from
    the dual carriageway via the new grade separated interchanges at Jack White’s
    Cross Roads and The Beehive junction.
    In order to further improve road safety on the local all-purpose road it is proposed
    to standardise the cross section where possible to provide a six metre wide
    single carriageway with one metre wide hardstrips, this will necessitate the
    breaking up and landscaping of some redundant areas of the existing N11
    carriageway.
    Accesses
    There are an abundance of junctions, field gates and private entrances on the
    existing route which increase the potential for road accidents. This proposed road
    development will eliminate right turn crossings of the opposing traffic flow on the
    N11 through the use of a closed central median and grade separated
    interchanges. There are approximately 90 direct accesses excluding field
    accesses onto the single carriageway N11 within the limits of the proposed road
    development. Excluding the slip roads of the two proposed grade separated
    interchanges, the two public lay-bys and the four Garda observation platforms
    there will only be one direct access onto the dualled N11, this being a gated
    minor access onto the northbound carriageway for Coillte. This reduction in
    potential conflict points will greatly assist in improving road safety on the N11.

Maybe I'll figure out a map from this :)
    Something like this
    https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211487821863709886471.0004db99e055b3a88165b&msa=0

I notice the contract agreement with BAM has now been announced on the NRA website

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,18479,en.html

It's finally going to happen !

PS I wonder when they will ever sort out that dreadful single lane exit off the roundabout towards the M1 at Dublin airport - but that's another question for a different thread I suppose..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Jayuu wrote: »

Agree (and I considered this place bad!). Best moan I read "€300 million to remove a set of traffic lights and we can't even afford to pay our teachers".

:rolleyes:

CIS website updated yesterday with a start date of 03/06/2013

http://www.cisireland.com/ProjectDescription.aspx?id=985

From Bam website

"works expected to start in May"

http://www.bamcontractors.ie/live/news_details.asp?id=116

"16 km dual carriageway"
    Will this get upgraded to Motorway Status as many dual carriageways did a number of years ago?

5HCC wrote: »
    "16 km dual carriageway"
    Will this get upgraded to Motorway Status as many dual carriageways did a number of years ago?

It's not in either of the 2008 or 2009 Declarations of motorways (the M17/18 is in the 2009 one), though that's not to say that it won't happen retrospectively.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's not in either of the 2008 or 2009 Declarations of motorways (the M17/18 is in the 2009 one), though that's not to say that it won't happen retrospectively.
    I had been worried about them building this one on the cheap as it was very consistently referred to as a "dual carriageway" and never a motorway, but I notice in the scheme description:
    Other than the junctions described in the previous section there will be no access provided between these roads and the dualled N11.
    So it will be possible to redesignate it a motorway. I reckon just before they open it they'll do so.

I had been worried about them building this one on the cheap as it was very consistently referred to as a "dual carriageway" and never a motorway, but I notice in the scheme description:

So it will be possible to redesignate it a motorway. I reckon just before they open it they'll do so.

Well in fairness, the scheme along with many others, was designed back before the Motorway redesignations - e.g. no portion of the M6 was originally supposed to be Motorway, but it was all supposed to be HQDC. In fact that you have said is exactly what happened, the N6 in its entirety (including the bits that hadn't been completed) was redesignated.

Why would they have bothered re-designating the Rathnew by-pass as motorway (barely 8km) if they don't intend to redesignate this new section as motorway? :-) I'd be fairly sure the intnention is to have it as motorway. Only issue I can see is the access for Coillte

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    Why would they have bothered re-designating the Rathnew by-pass as motorway (barely 8km) if they don't intend to redesignate this new section as motorway? :-) I'd be fairly sure the intnention is to have it as motorway.
    That's a good point.

Advertisement