Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Quadra

This is seriously good news. We've all been waiting a loooooooong time with so many false dawns.

Like 5HCC, I travel the route round-trip 3 times a week and it's going to make a real difference to my commute times, but moreover than that, for me the big issue here is safety; I've lost count of the number of times there either has been a fatality or serious accident on that stretch of road in my 13 years of commuting.

For the families that won't lose a loved one on that flippin' wicked stretch of road in the future, that what I'm celebrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

VR6 wrote: »
    I notice the contract agreement with BAM has now been announced on the NRA website

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,18479,en.html

It's finally going to happen !

PS I wonder when they will ever sort out that dreadful single lane exit off the roundabout towards the M1 at Dublin airport - but that's another question for a different thread I suppose..

The m1 stub has been fixed, it's 2 lanes off the rab and the slip from the r132, so there's 3 lanes to the m1 propper

I wonder if the coilte access will be resolved or will some fudge be made? DAA have a gateway from the M1 into their long term car park. From a strict reading of the law, the gateway is unlawful, but it's never used and locked so I suppose it's grandfathered in

It's great the work is gonna start, I presume the works to close the lilo to ballymoyle lane is going to be part of this work too, that seemed to have gone on the long finger

• Registered Users Posts: 7 5HCC

I see today the red stakes have gone into the ground along the route!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

5HCC wrote: »
    I'll be going to Wexford over the weekend, I may try get a few photos along the route (unless someone else does it first!)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

The m1 stub has been fixed, it's 2 lanes off the rab and the slip from the r132, so there's 3 lanes to the m1 propper

I wonder if the coilte access will be resolved or will some fudge be made? DAA have a gateway from the M1 into their long term car park. From a strict reading of the law, the gateway is unlawful, but it's never used and locked so I suppose it's grandfathered in

It's great the work is gonna start, I presume the works to close the lilo to ballymoyle lane is going to be part of this work too, that seemed to have gone on the long finger

Thanks Carawaystick,

I have not been over for a while so did not know the airport roundabout had been fixed. The original layout was incredibly bad and I often wondered how many minor accidents were caused by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DAA have a gateway from the M1 into their long term car park. From a strict reading of the law, the gateway is unlawful, but it's never used and locked so I suppose it's grandfathered in

This is an emergency entry to the motorway rather than an DAA gateway. All new schemes have these on the mainline too.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

5HCC wrote: »

Blue stakes also in just before Beehive junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

MYOB wrote: »
    This is an emergency entry to the motorway rather than an DAA gateway. All new schemes have these on the mainline too.

The immediate inside of this gate is in a long term carpark, where access is controlled. Hardly a suitable emergency entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The immediate inside of this gate is in a long term carpark, where access is controlled. Hardly a suitable emergency entrance

When you can't get access via the motorway at all due to a crash, anything is better than nothing.

Most emergency access gates on new schemes are off minor sideroads or in farms.

Anyone know what happened with the Rugby Club LILO?
    nordydan wrote: »
    Some developments here on the Wicklow Co Co website, not unexpected.
    The rugby club LILO's at Johnstown, outside Arklow, are to be stopped up in advance of the new N11 scheme. Only realistic decision:

Link 1
    Link 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 GVF

Here in Ontario, after 50 years of motorways like the 401 ,we are busy building or incorporating parallel "service roads " for EAR i.e. emergency access roads that follow most of the highway .

Necessitated by increasing traffic density .

The entire route will eventually be three lane motorway.
    Learn from the problems faced by others and build alternative motorway bypass /service roads at the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

GVF wrote: »
    Here in Ontario, after 50 years of motorways like the 401 ,we are busy building or incorporating parallel "service roads " for EAR i.e. emergency access roads that follow most of the highway .

Learn from the problems faced by others and build alternative motorway bypass /service roads at the beginning

i think the old original roads we currently use will have this function

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Hwy 401 is one of the busiest roads in North America with an AADT of 400,000-500,000 through some sections of Toronto so the provision of EARs is warranted. A number of the motorways built in Ireland in the last 5-10 years include emergency access and emergency cross over points which I believe are fit for purpose rather than providing EARs. It is also worth noting that the section of the 407 ETR north of Toronto which is currently being constructed includes no EARs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Here in Ontario <snip>
    All motorways in Ireland (except the M50) replaced an old road which runs parallel, often very close.
    In any case we do not experience anything like the traffic densities Toronto's 401 has.
    And why do you think the entire M11 will eventually be thee lanes each way? Most of it is rural and will never need this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Here in Ontario, after 50 years of motorways like the 401

The 401 in Toronto was originally built as D2M!
    hwy401-10_sm.jpg
    Hwy 401 is one of the busiest roads in North America with an AADT of 400,000-500,000 through some sections of Toronto so the provision of EARs is warranted

But it has 4 times the traffic volume of the M50 in a metro area that has the population of the entire island of Ireland. Not really very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

ardmacha wrote: »
    But it has 4 times the traffic volume of the M50 in a metro area that has the population of the entire island of Ireland. Not really very relevant.

Its irrelevance was what I was pointing out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

spacetweek wrote: »
    And why do you think the entire M11 will eventually be thee lanes each way? Most of it is rural and will never need this.

It could do with three lanes from the M50 to the Greystones/Charlesland turnoff; chaos at rush hours.

Unfortunately that is the very section that goes through Kilmac and the Glen of the Downs and wouldn't even make D2M without very major work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Quickelles wrote: »
    It could do with three lanes from the M50 to the Greystones/Charlesland turnoff; chaos at rush hours.

Unfortunately that is the very section that goes through Kilmac and the Glen of the Downs and wouldn't even make D2M without very major work.

3 lanes to Bray South (J7) would be sufficient, even just the southbound side.

loyatemu wrote: »

I head south most mornings and see tailbacks to the Glen....??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

loyatemu wrote: »
    Indeed the mess of local access, steep hills and twisty alignment means the N11 south of there is pretty much un-upgradeable anyway.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    Indeed the mess of local access, steep hills and twisty alignment means the N11 south of there is pretty much un-upgradeable anyway.

And no obvious alternative route from the M50 to Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 delaido

Any sign of work starting on the ground yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

delaido wrote: »
    Any sign of work starting on the ground yet?

Yes, I was passing Jack Whites yesterday and saw what appeared to be a site compound being installed (opposite the pub but well back from the main road) - obviously, I didn't have much time to look...

Yes, I was passing Jack Whites yesterday and saw what appeared to be a site compound being installed (opposite the pub but well back from the main road) - obviously, I didn't have much time to look...

Bit more on Wexforf Forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84714432

Just drove back an hour ago and two guys out doing survey work along the road at the Beehive. Hopefully the earth moving equipment starts to move in soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

claytonie wrote: »
    Just drove back an hour ago and two guys out doing survey work along the road at the Beehive. Hopefully the earth moving equipment starts to move in soon :D

Yes, I saw that too...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

On Morning Ireland today they said the sod is being turned on Arklow to Rathnew tomorrow, June 6th 2013

On Morning Ireland today they said the sod is being turned on Arklow to Rathnew tomorrow, June 6th 2013

Looks like sod turning event is taking place at Newlands cross tomorrow just passed a sign up for it this evening, about 300m before interchange at the BAM site office.

• Advertisement

I notice this thread is celebrating it's eight birthday..and finally the sod turns?

Advertisement